• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super "NeoGAF Arcade Stick Thread" II TURBO

I'm getting a replacement stick soon, I've settled on an eTokki Omni because of its automatic compatibility, not having a start button on the face, and most of all the Noir layout -- I've just been finding myself too cramped with the standard Vewlix style and want my hands a bit further apart.

But now I'm just wondering if I should venture into the Korean version or stick to the Sanwa. Sanwa's what I've gotten used to, but the things I've heard of Korean sticks intrigue me, like how it's easier to do double inputs and isn't gated. I want opinions, should I stick to what I know, or should I try something new?

ptown

Thanks! I'm ordering one.

Otherwise, swap out the parts for silent ones on a standard stick?

Hmm, I admit I'm not knowledgeable about swapping out parts nor have I looked into that yet (and in general, just don't have much experience with working on the inner parts of anything).

Probably hearing the mention of soldering (a skill I know nothing about) involved with modding sticks has kept me from entertaining the idea of opening up and messing with the internal parts.

I may look into it later with a TE2 stick I already have if/after its parts get worn out.

DiGiKerot

Thanks! I'm ordering one.

Hmm, I admit I'm not knowledgeable about swapping out parts nor have I looked into that yet (and in general, just don't have much experience with working on the inner parts of anything).

Probably hearing the mention of soldering (a skill I know nothing about) involved with modding sticks has kept me from entertaining the idea of opening up and messing with the internal parts.

I may look into it later with a TE2 stick I already have if/after its parts get worn out.

Soldering is only really relevant with low-end sticks - things like those mini sticks MC put out, or Hori's budget sticks like the EX2 or what-have-you. The MC TE sticks and the Hori HRAPs all use standard connectors for the stick and button parts which are explicitally designed to allow parts to be swapped out.

ptown

Soldering is only really relevant with low-end sticks - things like those mini sticks MC put out, or Hori's budget sticks like the EX2 or what-have-you. The MC TE sticks and the Hori HRAPs all use standard connectors for the stick and button parts which are explicitally designed to allow parts to be swapped out.

Sounds really convenient. Thanks for the explanation!

I'll most definitely look into swapping out parts in the future.

So I'm looking to get a new PS4 stick since the piece of shit TE2+ crapped out on me.

Any suggestions on what is a simple, high quality purchase right now? Should I wait for the Hori Tekken sticks (even though I don't care about tekken and dont really like the art)?

Skilletor

So I'm looking to get a new PS4 stick since the piece of shit TE2+ crapped out on me.

Any suggestions on what is a simple, high quality purchase right now? Should I wait for the Hori Tekken sticks (even though I don't care about tekken and dont really like the art)?

You have several choices now.

Razer Panthera ($200)
Hori Rap 4 (150)
Qanba Obsidian (200)

Then those Hori Tekken sticks coming. Love the shell on those. Think they're 180.

Panthera is super solid. Downside is that, right now, it's really hard/impossible to swap the art.

Thanks Skilletor

For the Hori's, what is the difference between all the different ones, theres the 4 kai, theres the V hayabusa (and I see a separate 2017 version). And even among the 4s, aren't there different button options?

Skilletor

Thanks Skilletor

For the Hori's, what is the difference between all the different ones, theres the 4 kai, theres the V hayabusa (and I see a separate 2017 version). And even among the 4s, aren't there different button options?

I think they've added a few features with each successive model. Went from kuros to hayabusa buttons on all hori sticks, added xinput on their current sticks.

Pretty sure every new hori stick is all hori parts now.

Thanks Skilletor

I think they've added a few features with each successive model. Went from kuros to hayabusa buttons on all hori sticks, added xinput on their current sticks.

Pretty sure every new hori stick is all hori parts now.

To add to this, the Kai variants of any Hori stick simply denotes that there is extra space between the buttons and stick compared to the normal layout.

Ohh, okay, that all helps, thanks guys

I kind of hate the art on most sticks right now, but then again, I've never bothered changing the art on anything anyway, so I might just go with whatever is solid and won't completely die on me in a couple months, hmm

Apologies if this has been asked, I have a modded HRAP3 with Sanwa buttons, I love my arcade stick, I want to buy a few fighting games on my PS4 am I screwed? is my stick supported? what are my options?

Apologies if this has been asked, I have a modded HRAP3 with Sanwa buttons, I love my arcade stick, I want to buy a few fighting games on my PS4 am I screwed? is my stick supported? what are my options?

It's on a game by game basis whether there is legacy controller support. Unfortunately you'll have to look up the title and see if it supports that stick or not.

muetimueti

Neo Member
So, I'm looking into getting a new stick, but I haven't bought one this generation yet (last gen was easier, since everything was on 360). Everything seems to be primarily PS4 (which would be nice since most events are run on PS4 hardware) but at home I'm playing on PC exclusively. I haven't found much info about PC compatibility, but reading about issues with Qanba's Xinput on the last few pages has me wondering if any of the other sticks have issues, or rather which ones would be safe to go for.

Skilletor

So, I'm looking into getting a new stick, but I haven't bought one this generation yet (last gen was easier, since everything was on 360). Everything seems to be primarily PS4 (which would be nice since most events are run on PS4 hardware) but at home I'm playing on PC exclusively. I haven't found much info about PC compatibility, but reading about issues with Qanba's Xinput on the last few pages has me wondering if any of the other sticks have issues, or rather which would be safe to go for.

Panthera works great except with KI. Madcatz sticks have drivers if you can find a te2. Haven't heard of any issues with the hori line of sticks.

Edzi

So, I'm looking into getting a new stick, but I haven't bought one this generation yet (last gen was easier, since everything was on 360). Everything seems to be primarily PS4 (which would be nice since most events are run on PS4 hardware) but at home I'm playing on PC exclusively. I haven't found much info about PC compatibility, but reading about issues with Qanba's Xinput on the last few pages has me wondering if any of the other sticks have issues, or rather which ones would be safe to go for.

Hori's Xinput PC switch has given me zero problems. In fact, all my experience with different stick companies has made me into kind of a Hori shill at this point, as they're the only ones that haven't given me any problems.

muetimueti

Neo Member
Panthera works great except with KI. Madcatz sticks have drivers if you can find a te2. Haven't heard of any issues with the hori line of sticks.
How come it doesn't work with KI? Some problem with it being on the Windows Store? I don't play KI, but hearing that there's software it doesn't work with is worrying.

Hori's Xinput PC switch has given me zero problems. In fact, all my experience with different stick companies has made me into kind of a Hori shill at this point, as they're the only ones that haven't given me any problems.
I don't like Hori parts, so I would have to swap those for Sanwa ones if I were to go that route...are their sticks all easily moddable?

Thanks to both of you for the input!

Edzi

How come it doesn't work with KI? Some problem with it being on the Windows Store? I don't play KI, but hearing that there's software it doesn't work with is worrying.

I don't like Hori parts, so I would have to swap those for Sanwa ones if I were to go that route...are their sticks all easily moddable?

Thanks to both of you for the input!

All you need to do is unscrew the bottom on their current sticks to mod the stick and buttons, but that technically voids the warranty. The art is a bit harder to mod, but doable.

Laws00

I would like to know which of the 3 of these is the best arcade stick?

All signs pointing towards the Hori stick, 2nd the virtua stick, followed by the joystick

s-l1600.jpg

$_57.JPG

s-l1600.jpg

All signs pointing towards the Hori stick, 2nd the virtua stick, followed by the joystick

Looking at them, the Hori looks like it has some flat Seimitsu buttons or knock-offs.

Though, tbh, I'd probably go in the order you posted them. So Sega VS, Hori then tiny button POS Virtua Stick.

Cross-posting from the Saturn thread:

For what it's worth, the earlier models of the HSS-0136 have an arcade-spec Sanwa JLW lever in it. That would be my pick of the 3, but at this point it's probably a crapshoot as to whether or not you'll actually get that version (unless the seller is willing to unscrew the bottom plate and check for you).

Just wanted to post that around this time last year Paradise Arcade Shop did not re-ship or refund my order after the package was returned to their store by the parcel delivery carrier. As the tracking of the order shows, it was never delivered to my address and was re-routed back to their HQ.

I was so busy, frustrated and patient during that time I did not pursue anything further.

In the end they stole approximately $85. This was not a case of lost a ticket or e-mail. After they e-mailed stating I would receive a refund, they simply stopped communicating with me via e-mail and did not answer the phone or return voice-mail messages. Silence continued weeks and weeks after I continued inquirying with them stating no refund has appeared on my credit card after religiously checking. Poof, no contact.

Despite over a decade of shopping online I had never been ripped off until last year at the launch of SFV by this company. I need a hug bros. I only thought of it now because it's been a year since the launch of SFV!

Codeblue

Just wanted to post that around this time last year Paradise Arcade Shop did not re-ship or refund my order after the package was returned to their store by the parcel delivery carrier. As the tracking of the order shows, it was never delivered to my address and was re-routed back to their HQ.

I was so busy, frustrated and patient during that time I did not pursue anything further.

In the end they stole approximately $85. This was not a case of lost a ticket or e-mail. After they e-mailed stating I would receive a refund, they simply stopped communicating with me via e-mail and did not answer the phone or return voice-mail messages. Silence continued weeks and weeks after I continued inquirying with them stating no refund has appeared on my credit card after religiously checking. Poof, no contact.

Despite over a decade of shopping online I had never been ripped off until last year at the launch of SFV by this company. I need a hug bros. I only thought of it now because it's been a year since the launch of SFV!

Given that they only have 6 reviews on Facebook and 2 on Google, a couple of 1 star reviews would probably get their attention.

That sucks dude.

Laws00

Cross-posting from the Saturn thread:

For what it's worth, the earlier models of the HSS-0136 have an arcade-spec Sanwa JLW lever in it. That would be my pick of the 3, but at this point it's probably a crapshoot as to whether or not you'll actually get that version (unless the seller is willing to unscrew the bottom plate and check for you).

I don't think getting someone to open one up is going to happen. lol

thanks for the advice

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
GtdywKY.jpg

My second HRAPIV Kai

Now I got a black and white one

...also bought the mug too :D

Beautiful. White sticks are so dope. I have the Xbox 360 RAP, the white one (I play on PC). I just need to snag some white hayabusa buttons now. And my co-worker recently got me that mug as a gift. Definitely a solid mug, but I'd kill for a Karin one.

bumpkin

GtdywKY.jpg

My second HRAPIV Kai

Now I got a black and white one

...also bought the mug too :D
That's a beautiful stick, my friend.

I've got a stick I made around the Brook Universal Fighting Board where I got an acrylic case from TEK Innovations. I keep thinking about having a new cover plate made with some sort of etching on it, but I can't decide on who/what I want etched into it.

shaowebb

s-l1600.jpg

I own this pile. Buttons are loose as fuck and the stick isn't great either. Dust cover? Whats a dust cover? Plus the action on the buttons is too high. They dont fight you but for loose buttons to be so tall just compounds the wobble feel.

Laws00

Glad someone does lol :(

s-l1600.jpg

I own this pile. Buttons are loose as fuck and the stick isn't great either. Dust cover? Whats a dust cover? Plus the action on the buttons is too high. They dont fight you but for loose buttons to be so tall just compounds the wobble feel.

Thank you for advice. I was curious on what someone who owns this thing has to say. It looked adequate 30 bucks with the box ok. I looked at all the other sticks like the HSS-0136 and they want around 50 USD but the shipping is like 30 to 40 bucks and im like something is up with this thing

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Glad someone does lol :(

Thank you for advice. I was curious on what someone who owns this thing has to say. It looked adequate 30 bucks with the box ok. I looked at all the other sticks like the HSS-0136 and they want around 50 USD but the shipping is like 30 to 40 bucks and im like something is up with this thing

Sorry, I should have chimed in as well. I can confirm that it's trash.

That's a beautiful stick, my friend.

I've got a stick I made around the Brook Universal Fighting Board where I got an acrylic case from TEK Innovations. I keep thinking about having a new cover plate made with some sort of etching on it, but I can't decide on who/what I want etched into it.

Thanks and yeah, that's a rad stick you got there man!

I suddenly have the urge to want one of these. Can anyone recommend one for me? I'm not sure what I need to be looking for but I'll be using it on PC only. I like clicky noises and I love Metal Slug, but I also wanna learn how to play some fighters better with a stick. MvC3 coming to pc in March, that too.

I think my budget for it would be up to 50-60ish dollars after tax. I'm not sure how much I would value one of these compared to a mechanical keyboard or something. Thanks in advance.

Hey guys... I was wondering if I could get any expert help from the folks in this thread.

Off and on for years i've wanted a decent arcade stick which feels like those of my youth. I understand now that what i'm describing is needing an "octagonal gate" and see Sanwa ones for sale on Amazon.

Normally that would be dandy... but as someone with really severe disabilities, I physically cannot do the installation that would require.

Is there anyone here who would consider letting me Paypal them funds for a PS4 arcade stick, and gate, and then do the installation for me? Or point me to a place that sells them already modded?

Thanks so much!

Fausts you might be asking for help because the answer to this question is "no", but I have to ask the obvious, is there someone you can get help with in person after you order the stick and part?

I understand you have some challenges, but installing an octagonal gate is very easy it would be like snapping a plastic lid off of a tub/container and snapping a new one on. Do you have someone in person that can just help you with this? No tools are required on sticks with buttons that open the casing (of course this depends on the stick you buy). Sorry if this seems obvious, but it feels like such a hassle to trust someone online to place your order and do this for you when the install takes 1-2 minutes. Does that make sense?

Maybe try focusattack.com and make a special request.

Fausts you might be asking for help because the answer to this question is "no", but I have to ask the obvious, is there someone you can get help with in person after you order the stick and part?

I understand you have some challenges, but installing an octagonal gate is very easy it would be like snapping a plastic lid off of a tub/container and snapping a new one on. Do you have someone in person that can just help you with this? No tools are required on sticks with buttons that open the casing (of course this depends on the stick you buy). Sorry if this seems obvious, but it feels like such a hassle to trust someone online to place your order and do this for you when the install takes 1-2 minutes. Does that make sense?

Maybe try focusattack.com and make a special request.

I really don't have someone who I expect would be comfortable trying it... but I could always give it a go.

Which entry-level PS4 stick would be a good one to buy concurrently with the Sanwa gate from Amazon? I see the HRAP, but according to a Youtube vid you need a dremel and such to drill out holes to make said gate fit.

Top Bottom