• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Punch-Out has a hidden 2-player mode

CamHostage

Damn bastards left out an entire mode

Not sure if I would go all out and call it a "mode". There are no accommodations made to make it balanced or fun in multiplayer; it seems likely there for testing purposes rather something they intended to offer as a secret (and Nintendo Power would obviously have "leaked" the cheat if it was something Nintendo intended kids to find.) I'm going to assume it doesn't play well, since every other character has a variety of moves and Mac can just super-uppercut if he manages his meter. (I've seen Punch-Out-type games or hacks do multiplayer elsewhere, and it tends to underline the fact that Punch-Out is sort of rhythm-game mechanics in a boxing shell, and what makes it fun is what wouldn't work if it treated gameplay as "real" boxing in like a multiplayer scenario. Punch-Out Wii messed around with multiplayer, to some degree of success.) But it's an amazing find nevertheless!

Last edited:

I_D

It seems pretty odd that an almost fully-functioning system was hidden in the final game.

I wonder what kind of financial woes suddenly popped up, or whatever incredibly-major bug popped up, to make them hide all of these features.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
It seems pretty odd that an almost fully-functioning system was hidden in the final game.

I wonder what kind of financial woes suddenly popped up, or whatever incredibly-major bug popped up, to make them hide all of these features.
More likely a debug mode for the devs rather than an entire separate game with progression.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
The whole idea of this makes me wish Nintendo would come out with super punch out mega edition. 50 fighters, some new, some from nes. Custmizable and upgradeable fighters. And a whole true mutiplayer online mode.

HoodWinked

no way this has had to been discovered before with all the people that look at rom hacking, cheat codes and reverse engineering.

SpiceRacz

Gonna have to hit up the homies and see if they wanna catch these hands.

fight-old-man.gif

Top Bottom