• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros Brawl- What will they fix?

Do you think nintendo will take out all the little glitches that high class players take advantage of? Will wave dashes, L-cancels, and jump cancels be taken out of the game? Seeing how popular SSBM was among the hardcore tourney circuits, I would think Nintendo will take extra care to iron out any minor glitches that can be taken advantage of, but then again taking out wave dashes would probably cause an uproar...

Mute

Banned
Bo130 said:
....Glitches?
I doubt Wave Dashing was meant to be in the game. It happened with Halo 2 (Backpacking, warthog flinging, etc), so why not with SSBB? I hope they don't, but I have a nasty feeling they will.

NotWii

Banned
Quick Recovery was in SSB and it resurfaced in SSBM, but I'm pretty sure the technique was an unintentional byproduct of programming that they liked and kept, or couldn't be stuffed taking out.

So maybe... It really depends if Masahiro Sakurai thinks they ruin the gameplay or not

Gigglepoo

I wonder if they'll still have quick (C-Stick) attacks. Not like I used them, but they were certainly convinient. Plus, the Wii is all about being accessible for casual gamers.

Gigglepoo said:
I wonder if they'll still have quick (C-Stick) attacks. Not like I used them, but they were certainly convinient. Plus, the Wii is all about being accessible for casual gamers.
There'd be no reason to take it out if it's fully compatible with the GameCube controller.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
[troll]:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol SMASH BROS ISNT A FIGHTING GAME :lol :lol :lol [/troll]

Seriously, The only thing I want nerfed is Falco's spike. I would like to see the top tier characters be toned down and/or the lower guys buffed up It would be nice to see a tourney with Ness having as much a chance to win as Marth.

edit: also, I hope wavedashing and L cancelling aren't removed, they add alot to the game.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
I think Wavedashing will go out the window. Along with nerfing l-canceling.

But I think there will be some balancing issues since they are so hard on not having clones. With the amount of new moves and characters they will put in, there will be some characters that will suck/own. but I live in Europe so the version we get will probably have fixed some of this.

Kabuki Waq said:
they should get rid of samus and marth. Or atleast tone them down. Marth edge camping was insane.

Get rid of Samus? Bit extreme isn't it, seeing as the Metroid franchise has been one of the more prominent Nintendo franchises recently.

nelkon and parker said:
Get rid of Samus? Bit extreme isn't it, seeing as the Metroid franchise has been one of the more prominent Nintendo franchises recently.

well atleast tone the bitch down. Her dodge move with bombs is ****ing annoying.

Brobzoid

Archie said:
[troll]:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol SMASH BROS ISNT A FIGHTING GAME :lol :lol :lol [/troll]

Seriously, The only thing I want nerfed is Falco's spike. I would like to see the top tier characters be toned down and/or the lower guys buffed up It would be nice to see a tourney with Ness having as much a chance to win as Marth.

edit: also, I hope wavedashing and L cancelling aren't removed, they add alot to the game.

Falco's spike is nerfed in the pal version. it's only a spike for the first half of the attack, then it sends the oponent upwards for the second half of the attack.

Ness needs a proper up-B. his current sucks. :\ And I'll bet very much that wavedashing is removed. They never intended for smash to be hardcore. They'll probably throw in more randomness aswell, they have already said that the game-speed will be slower.

:\

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Brobzoid said:
Falco's spike is nerfed in the pal version. it's only a spike for the first half of the attack, then it sends the oponent upwards for the second half of the attack.

Ness needs a proper up-B. his current sucks. :\ And I'll bet very much that wavedashing is removed. They never intended for smash to be hardcore. They'll probably throw in more randomness aswell, they have already said that the game-speed will be slower.

:\
Yeah but Sakurai has to know there is a hardcore fanbase who wants SSBB to retain the same depth as Melee. If they nerfed the game into a shallow party game internet nerds would be livid. I'm not worried about randomness as long as you can turn stuff off and on, and Final Destination and Kirby64 are selectable stages.

My biggest hope is that they reevaluate characters and balance them. Melee is ****ing awesome, but is one horribly balanced game.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Y2Kevbug11 said:
For the n00bs, could you explain what wave dashing, etc., are?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SSBM

Due to the game's highly involved and intricate gameplay, Super Smash Brothers Melee has a substantial number of game specific terms, which relate to various tactics and manuevers. These range from built in advanced tactics such as "Fast Falling" (accelerating your character's descent after jumping) and "L-cancelling" (quickly pressing one of the block triggers when landing in order to speed up your character's recovery), to glitches in the game's physics which are commonly exploited such as "Wave Dashing" (air dodging downwards immediately after jumping, causing your character to perform a standing glide).

Luigi is the easiest character to Wavedash with:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=485554561032213980&q=wavedash

Brobzoid

Archie said:
Yeah but Sakurai has to know there is a hardcore fanbase who wants SSBB to retain the same depth as Melee. If they nerfed the game into a shallow party game internet nerds would be livid. I'm not worried about randomness as long as you can turn stuff off and on, and Final Destination and Kirby64 are selectable stages.

My biggest hope is that they reevaluate characters and balance them. Melee is ****ing awesome, but is one horribly balanced game.

see, there is where I think you will cry. I'm not talking about items and such. I'm talking about attack priorities, attacks that are designed to be random(peach's f-smash) and enviormental hazards.

And I doubt Sakurai gives a shit about the hardcores. He probably knows they are there. but I don't think he prioriteses them in any way.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Well, they are fixing one of my gripes with Melee, and that was a lack of focus on Aerial gameplay. Not so sure about toning the speed down though.

Brobzoid

I always thought the next smash game would use lightning melee's speed. This maybe a sign telling me I play too much capcom ;)

but lightning melee is fun.

Beezy

Oldschoolgamer said:
Well, they are fixing one of my gripes with Melee, and that was a lack of focus on Aerial gameplay.

See, this is what made me start using Marth. You can pull off so much more in the air with him when compared to most of the other characters. I hope aeriel fights will be a lot more fun in Brawl.

Andonuts

I imagine they'll tone down the really powerful characters like they did with melee. Remember how awesome Ness was in SSB? See how lame he is in SSBM? The same will happen to Marth and the other overpowered characters.

fresquito

What to fix? let more letters to name your file! Damn it, not only 4 letters!

I hope they get rid of analog control. I´d love a more precise input: the traditional > for walking and >> for running. Other than that, toning down or up characters will take place, but where have you seen a balanced fighter? That´s not even possible!

I´d like a better adventure mode.

I want them to further develop my Pikachu lightining sniper technique by letting the stormclouds form as high as I can jump. No ceiling!

I'm hoping we can lose all of the clones and get some more interesting and varied stuff in there (Paper Mario instead of Dr. Mario, for instance). Turn Ganondorf into the version of him from Wind Waker, etc. etc.

Including every single Pokémon would be a lot of work and make the game much more difficult for people who try to learn to dodge every one of those things but I think it'd be lots of fun.

I expect that if Wavedashing is still in the game, the game balance will be constructed partly with that in mind. They're clearly going to focus on low-level balance before high-level balance though, so we'll see.

Jiggy

Beezy said:
See, this is what made me start using Marth. You can pull off so much more in the air with him when compared to most of the other characters. I hope aeriel fights will be a lot more fun in Brawl.
Likewise, except Jigglypuff instead of Marth. Honestly, all of my top characters--Jigglypuff, Falco, Luigi, Captain Falcon, Ganondorf, Dr. Mario--are at their best in the air, so I can't wait to see how they improve the aerial game.

Anyway... L-cancelling isn't going away. It was there in the N64 game and they kept it for SSBM, which I'm guessing is for a reason. I do hope they get rid of wavedashing, though. Not because it's a broken gameplay mechanic, because it really isn't (except for a few who rely on it to chain throw), but more because it mostly negates any reason to use the roll.

They should just get rid of Marth. Who the **** cares about him? Not a single fan of FE that's for sure, just lame shits who like to cheese in a party game.

Son of Godzilla said:
They should just get rid of Marth. Who the **** cares about him? Not a single fan of FE that's for sure, just lame shits who like to cheese in a party game.

Screw off.

Well Roy is the better one.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Lathentar said:
Good players use the counter?

Has nothing to do with it. A good player could use the counter if he/she wanted to. The reliance on it would drop, but they still have it there to use.

One thing that annoyed me a little about Melee was that CPU characters weren't affected by visual things like you. Especially things like the Cloaking Device, where they could "see" you even between the flickers. So other than not adding to damage you're taking, the item was worthless to a human player competing against the CPU.

It's probably a dream (and something players would exploit if they did implement it), but it'd be nice if they had troubles fighting on the extreme corners of the screen (with some levels like the classic Yoshi stage, where the camera doesn't show the corners all that well when the fighters are spread out), when they're forced to fight off-screen, against visual imparement items like the Cloaking Device, and such. Maybe it already does this, but I haven't noticed it if that's the case.

Also, the more (even unlockable is fine) adjustments, the better. I don't like how often carriers and party balls blow up (I've gotten used to it, usually employing the carrier as a weapon more than what's inside it), I'd like to be able to turn that chance ratio down.

Something approaching endings (like the original SSB had) would be nice, too. But not an absolute requirement.

Koomaster

Kulock said:
Also, the more (even unlockable is fine) adjustments, the better. I don't like how often carriers and party balls blow up (I've gotten used to it, usually employing the carrier as a weapon more than what's inside it), I'd like to be able to turn that chance ratio down.
When you set up the match, if you set the frequency of items to max, the carriers hardly blow up at all.

CPU needs to be more difficult and less stupid and cheap. Level 9 cpus are freakin easy but they utilize cheapass techniques like being very accurate with throws and being able to shield reflect any projectile. Plus they are too predictable.

They also need to fix the broke ass air dodge yet still incorporate a decent wavedash. And yes marth is waaayy too cheap. His insane priority, long wavedash, speed, amazing disjointed hitbox, and aerial moves make him so cheap.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
ELS-01X said:
I still don't get how Marth is cheap. Please explain.
He isn't cheap, but hoo boy is he ever powerful. He really doesn't have any obvious weakness. Even Fox/Falco have downsides with fast falling and crummy recoveries.

rafman400

ELS-01X said:
I still don't get how Marth is cheap. Please explain.
Pros
Excellent range (not only this but a disjointed hit box, more on this later)
Great Priority
Good running speed
Fast attack speed, little overall lag
Good recovery
Good combo ability
Good throws

Cons
No projectile
Might be called cheap by scrubs
Experts sometimes have a grudge against him, similar to the Sheik grudge,
but to a lesser extent.
Has trouble KOing at higher percentages

the only thing close to a real weakness isnt even a real weakness.

ELS-01X

Banned
rafman400 said:
Pros
Excellent range (not only this but a disjointed hit box, more on this later)
Great Priority
Good running speed
Fast attack speed, little overall lag
Good recovery
Good combo ability
Good throws

Cons
No projectile
Might be called cheap by scrubs
Experts sometimes have a grudge against him, similar to the Sheik grudge,
but to a lesser extent.
Has trouble KOing at higher percentages

the only thing close to a real weakness isnt even a real weakness.
What's that disjointed hit box thing?

Brobzoid

rafman400 said:
falco's recovery is horrible and he bounces very easily. so hes not very cheap. very easy to kill.

easy peasy... falco might have a shit recovery(he does), but he can take a shitload of hurt. and who lets their character bounce anyway? bouncing is useless. stop the bounce!

Top Bottom