• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. Characters. Have you played their original games?

SalvaPot

SSBWiiU_Character_Select.jpg

in_memoriam__super_smash_bros__characters_by_dragonnjmb-d7zo341.png

Super Smash Bros has easily the best character roster of all time, pretty much only lacking mainstays that are exclusive to other developers.

With 66 different characters through the installments in the series, there is a lot of story and fanservice in this games, and even if you haven't played the games this characters originate from, the game is infinitely enjoyable on its own.

So the question is this GAF, have you played the games this characters originate from? How many of them? How many do you want to play in the future?

Here is a list to make it easier:
Bayonetta
Bowser
Bowser Jr.
Captain Falcon
Charizard
Cloud
Corrin
Dark Pit
Diddy Kong
Donkey Kong
Dr. Mario
Duck Hunt
Falco
Fox
Ganondorf
Greninja
Ice Climbers
Ike
Ivysaur
Jigglypuff
King Dedede
Kirby
Link
Little Mac
Lucario
Lucas
Lucina
Luigi
Mario
Marth
Mega Man
Meta Knight
Mewtwo
Mii Brawler
Mii Gunner
Mii Swordfighter
Mr. Game & Watch
Ness
Olimar
Pac-Man
Palutena
Peach
Pichu
Pikachu
Pit
Pokémon Trainer
R.O.B.
Robin
Rosalina
Roy
Ryu
Samus
Sheik
Shulk
Snake
Sonic
Squirtle
Toon Link
Villager
Wario
Wii Fit Trainer
Wolf
Yoshi
Young Link
Zelda
Zero Suit Samus

As for me, I am only missing Cloud, since I have yet to play Final Fantasy VII and the only FF game I have played was IV. I did play almost everything in this list because of smash, otherwise I would have never discovered gems like Earthbound, Metroid or Fire Emblem.

Oh, and for Japan only games, Fire Emblem GBA should count for Roy, even if he has a small cameo, I guess. I played Mother 3 by importing the game.

That is 65/66 for me. How well did you do?

I have a problem where I try to play as many game that characters involved in a crossover are from as possible.

This is especially true in Smash. Haven't finished it yet. I may never because of Cloud from FF7. Maybe I'll play the remake in over a decade. I'll wait for all episodes to be released.

Zalman

I have played every single one.

Actually, I take that back. I've played every franchise, but I haven't played the Marth and Roy FE games.

I haven't finished them all, but I have at least played every one, with the exception of two games: Ike and Roy's debut FEs. I'd definitely like to get to them someday!

WarAdept

Played every single franchise each character originates from. And multiple games of the entire series/spinoffs they come from as well.

It's why Smash will forever hold a special place in my heart and if I had to choose, it would be my favorite franchise of all time. A celebration of beloved favorites.

I've played at least one of every single series except ROB and Duck Hunt. Some just barely. I got Bayonetta 1 and 2 between SSBU's launch and the Bayonetta DLC announcement, and Xenoblade days before Shulk was announced.

For the characters, I haven't played Mother 3 for Lucas or Marth/Roy/Ike's FE games. I've played Pikmin 2 but not 1 for Olimar, various Metal Gear games for Snake but not MSX (though I do own it due to the HD collection), Starfox 64 but not Starfox SNES for Fox/Falco. Game & Watch is borderline since I've played G&W Gallery but not the original games.

I have a really good track record, wow. Far cry from when Melee/Brawl came out and I was a total noob, heh.

_woLf

Bayonetta - I've played Bayo 2, but not 1. Not the biggest fan of that kind of game.
Marth & Roy - haven't played much of the older fire emblems - they've been guest characters in ones I have played, but I haven't played their origin ones.
Lucas - someday Nintendo will let me.
ROB - never had the ROB toy as a kid.

Not too bad...

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Not gonna lie, I never played Mario Galaxy, Star Fox on SNES, Earthbound/3, Street Fighter, Wii Fit or had a ROB. The first one is probably my biggest regret, but I just don't enjoy any kind of platformer like I used to.

Let's see, I haven't played:

Corrin - Only FE I've played is Awakening, but I'm gonna start Fates this or next week.
Dr. Mario - Not really into playing a retro puzzle game :p
Duck Hunt - Before my time
Ike - I actually own his game and will get to it one day
Lucas - Will get to this one day too, especially seeing a localised VC release seems likely
Marth - NES games weren't localised, DS one is meant to be pretty average, so I'm in no rush here
Mr. Game & Watch - Before my time
R.O.B. - Before my time
Roy - Game wasn't localised. Once I play all the english FE games I'll look at fan translations :p
Ryu - I actually did play a little SF2, but I sucked at it so I'm counting it as unplayed.
Sonic - Played a little of Sonic 1 years ago but didn't like it.
Zero Suit Samus - Played Metroid games but not Zero Mission.

Almost entirely retro/third party/Fire Emblem.

I just didn't played Wii Fit, Mother 3. Played everything else tho (even finished FF7 because of Cloud in Smash, dropped the game several times before)

Oh and also never finished a Pikmin and I regret it a bit

random25

I have played everything except the new Pokemon games. So I missed Greninja.

About ROB, I never owned one so I guess that's out too.

Edit: I also have never tried Wii Fit. So yeah that's another one.

63/66 for me.

I haven't played:

- Any of the Game and Watch games
- Any of the Punch Out games
- Metroid games that feature ZSS
- Fire Emblem games that feature Marth
- Kirby games that feature Meta Knight
- Stack-up and Gyromite
- Animal Crossing
- Wii Fit
- Xenoblade Chronicles
- Mother 3
- Fire Emblem Fates

And I only just started playing through Bayonetta. Also, the only two Metal Gear games I've ever played are Ghost Babel for the Game Boy Color and Revengeance.

Guys, for ROB, you should count Subspatial Emissary from Brawl since it's actually ROB's Story ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Yes, ive played every single smash character's otiginal game, unless you count street fighter 1

higemaru

Bayonetta, Wii Fit, Xenoblade, and Gyromite are really the only ones I haven't played and I own Xenoblade and Bayonetta.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Only Fire Emblem game I've played is Awakening, not played FFVII and never bought Wii Fit.

Guys, for ROB, you should count Subspatial Emissary from Brawl since it's actually ROB's Story ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Only in the American version. Other versions don't make reference to SSE.

Mazzo3

Never played Fire Emblem, Bayonetta, Wii Fit, the latest Pokemon games, or the R.O.B. games. I like most of those characters, but I can't say I got the urge to play their games.

I'm also missing Mother 3, which I hope to play some day.

Monocle

Let me just register my approval that Bayonetta is first on that list. (Alphabetically, but still.)

Nobody who has the slightest interest in action games should miss that wonderful series.

GamerJM

Banned
I did the characters where I haven't played the games that they literally originate from. I've played a lot of games with these characters in them, but not their "original," games.

Diddy Kong (Donkey Kong Country, I've played a lot of other games with Diddy in them. I definitely want to play DKC at some point)
King Dedede (Kirby's Dream Land, I've played a lot of other Kirby games. I want to play Dream Land at some point but I've heard it's like an hour long or something, so I'd mostly want to play it for the historical value, I doubt it really measures up to the later games.)
Kirby (See above.)
Lucas (Mother 3, definitely want to play it at some point! Waiting for a cheap way to buy it on a device I own. If it never gets released here then I hope Wii U homebrew will allow a way for me to access the Japanese eShop from a US Wii U; I'd be fine with playing it in Japanese, I just don't want to pay eBay prices for a Japanese cart.)
Mega Man (Mega Man 1. I've played a few Mega Man games but I didn't start with 1 since I've heard mixed things about it. I still want to play it at some point since I want to play all of the NES Mega Man games.)
Mr. Game & Watch (Never played a Game and Watch game. My dad has one of the original G&W devices somewhere in the house but I don't know where it is. I might play the first one at some point idk. I'm not that interested in them. I kind of want to play the G&W Gallery games though.)
Palutena (Kid Icarus. I played Uprising and that was incredible, I might play the original at some point but it looks like it's aged kind of ehhh.)
Pit (See above.)
R.O.B. (Gyromite. I dunno if I really want to play that tbh...)
Snake (Metal Gear. No real interest in it or the rest of the series, stealth games aren't my thing. I tried Merry Gear Solid and MGS Peace Walker and I found them both boring.)
Wario (Super Mario Land 2, I've played a lot of games with Wario in them. Definitely want to play SML2 at some point, it's one of the few Mario platformers I haven't played.)

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Mr. Game & Watch's original game is technically Melee. He's an original character designed to represent the various systems but doesn't originate from a specific one.

Also if you want to say you've played Kirby's Dreamland you could always just play it via the Masterpieces option in Smash.

I've played most but there's a good portion still lost to me

Ness, Lucas: Haven't played any of the Mother games.
Marth, Ike, Roy, Lucina, Robin, Corrin: Haven't played any of the Fire Emblem games
Captain Falcon: I've only played the first F-Zero
Game and Watch: Never played a G&W
Alph and Olimar: Haven't played any of the Pikmin games.
Pit: Still haven't played the original Kid Icarus (mostly know him from Captain N), but I had played Uprising long before SSB4 was announced.
Bayonetta: Haven't played either game
Snake: Yep, nothing.
Pokemon: Haven't played anything past G1

And that's about it. I feel fortunate that I'm in that special crowd that actually had a ROB with Gyromite growing up.

All of you who have claimed to have played FE1 are lying. FE1 sucks.

I've played every game there I think except for the Game and watch.

1upsuper

I have played all of them save for ROB. I own Fire Emblem for the Famicom and Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon. I've also got a physical Game & Watch.

Looks like I haven't played:

-Roy, Ike, Robin, Lucina, and Corrin (I've played through the first five Fire Emblem games, but nothing after that - I want to sometime though, fantastic series)
-Lucario and Greninja (no interest in Pokemon)
-ROB, Wii Fit Trainer, Shulk (no or next to no interest in their games)
-Cloud (maybe someday)

Captain Falcon
Corrin
Ike
Little Mac
Lucas
Lucina
Ness
R.O.B.
Robin
Roy
Ryu
Shulk
Wii Fit Trainer
Wolf
Zero Suit Samus

These are the characters that I haven't played a game with them featured in it. Could probably put Falco back on the list too as the only Star Fox game I've played is Advantures.

woopWOOP

I have now, mostly. Smash is one of the reasons I gave many of these a shot in the first place :V

When my friend bought Smash 64 we were accustomed with pretty much every character and their games already, except for Kirby and Metroid, tho I recognised them from the artwork in gaming mags. And then there's Ness. Thought it was some weird mascot for the NES (his potrait looked like he was wearing a grey jacket + red cap), but I later found out through old magazines he was from a game unreleased here. I played some Kirby Superstar through emulation afterwards, but that was about it.

It wasn't until Melee brought us Fire Emblem and the many trophies (and the Ice Climbers gave me some 'holy shit' nostalgia) that I was wondering what else Nintendo's been hiding and through emulation I ended up checking out all kinds of roms. I later ended up buying a lot of these on eBay and through VC. Wouldn't have played through Kirby, the 2D Metroids or patched Fire Emblem translations if it weren't for this game.

Thinking about it tho, the list of unplayed original titles is actually longer than I thought.
Those that I haven't played yet:
- Zelda, while I played snippets of OoT and got through most of Zelda II, I never really played through the very first entry.
- G&W, we had a G&W Juggle system, but it was a fancy looking version with Mario and not with the old artstyle, so I guess it doesn't count as an 'original'.
- Fire Embem, I played the Shadow Dragon remake (hell, that's what got me to be a full-on fan of the franchise), but I never touched the original Famicom release.
- Kid Icarus Uprising, is still on my eventual to-do list, but I haven't started yet...
- Metroid Zero Mission, the first official appearance of Zero Suit Samus, right? I played the original Metroid on Wii VC, but haven't played the remake yet.
- Xenoblade, I have it for the WiiU VC.... now I just need to find the time to invest in this one!
- Metal Gear Solid, watched my brother play this a lot. Still want to go through it myself one day, but I haven't thus far.
- oh wait, Metal Gear for MSX is the original ofcourse. I kinda want to play that one too, but aside from the edited version packaged with one of the Solid releases there's not a lot of ways to play the untouched original.
- Bayonetta, was mildly interested in the 2nd one (haven't bought it yet), but I doubt I'll ever play the first one.

Also although my cousin had Gyromite, I never used a ROB before :p

Semajer

I think Cloud, R.O.B., and Lucas are the only ones I'm missing. Roy too if you don't count his appearance in Awakening.

Oh, and for Japan only games, Fire Emblem GBA should count for Roy, even if he has a small cameo, I guess. I played Mother 3 by importing the game.

Not if you're in Europe.

marmoka

Banned
I only choose Mario, Donkey Kong, Zelda, Metroid, Earthbound, Kid Icarus, Sonic and Bayonetta characters. I only choose characters whose games I like.

I don't see the point choosing Pokemon or Fire Emblem characters, when I have never played any of their games, and I have no interest in them. I don't care if they are more powerful or not. What's the point of playing with them if you know nothing about them?

I never played Ice Climbers, so I'm not traumatized because they aren't in the latest Smash Bros game. I understand that many people liked them and agree they should have never been removed. Anyway, it's weird to see that these characters have so many Smash fans, but nobody played their game.

1upsuper

I only choose Mario, Donkey Kong, Zelda, Metroid, Earthbound, Kid Icarus, Sonic and Bayonetta characters. I only choose characters whose games I like.

I don't see the point choosing Pokemon or Fire Emblem characters, when I have never played any of their games, and I have no interest in them. I don't care if they are more powerful or not. What's the point of playing with them if you know nothing about them?

I never played Ice Climbers, so I'm not traumatized because they aren't in the latest Smash Bros game. I understand that many people liked them and agree they should have never been removed. Anyway, it's weird to see that these characters have so many Smash fans, but nobody played their game.

What on earth? You don't need to know a character and their game front to back to enjoy their playstyle and moveset. Why limit yourself?

FSLink

Banned

Because fighting games are also about playstyles/movesets and how they feel to play. I'm not even a huge FF7 fan but I love how Cloud feels in this game.

Though I do love the Earthbound games and love using Ness too, so it's a nice bonus when it does happen to work out.

I don't think most people who use Ice Climbers even played or enjoy Ice Climber since it's a pretty mediocre NES title honestly, but they're an interesting character playstyle that isn't really replicated (Rosalina & Luma don't really play like them at all).

I've posted about this somewhere else, but most of these games I played because I first played Smash Bros, then took an interest to the history of the characters.

Long ass list ahead:

Bayonetta: Never played 1 or 2, don't own any platform they've released on

Bowser: Been playing SMB since I was a kid

Bowser Jr.: Played (but didn't complete) Sunshine

Captain Falcon: Earliest game in the franchise that I played was F-Zero X

Charizard: I uhh played Red on a friend's gameboy? I think. I never owned the game

Cloud: Played FF7 on a few different formats (Steam, Vita)

Corrin: Nope. I really want to buy Fates though, when I have the time

Dark Pit: I think he originated in Uprising, so no

Diddy Kong: Played DKC on a few different formats (SNES, Wii VC, soon 3DS VC)

Donkey Kong: I played the original game on Wii VC, never played it on arcades

Dr. Mario: Wasn't there a 64 game? I played that

Duck Hunt: No

Falco: Lylat Wars is the only starfox game I played

Fox: See above

Ganondorf: Technically he originated in Ocarina of Time, which I play almost yearly

Greninja: No

Ice Climbers: I played the 30 sec demo offered by Brawl if that counts lol

Ike: No

Ivysaur: I don't think I played Pokemon Green but then again I mix things up with pokemon

Jigglypuff: Jeez that's a lot of pokemans

King Dedede: Played the original Kirby game like 2 years ago

Kirby: See above

Link: Played (but didn't finish) LoZ 1

Little Mac: Never played the original but I have gone through Super Punch Out

Lucario: No

Lucas: Will do it someday soon, after the inevitable shockingly surprising announcement of Mother 3 for the west this year

Lucina: No

Luigi: Green Mario? I have played the Mario Bros. arcade game, otherwise SMB2 USA

Mario: Played Donkey Kong so...

Marth: No

Mega Man: Played the first six mega man games last year

Meta Knight: I don't think so...I never went far in Kirby's legacy

Mewtwo: No

Mii Brawler: I ... spent a few hours on the original Mii Channel on the wii? lol

Mii Gunner: See above

Mii Swordfighter: See above

Mr. Game & Watch: I have some game & watch games actually

Ness: Played Earthbound

Olimar: Pikmin never really looked interesting to me

Pac-Man: Likely played it on arcades, just can't recall it

Palutena: I don't think so..

Peach: Played SMB

Pichu: No

Pikachu: I might have played like ten whole minutes of Pokemon Yellow

Pit: Have not played the original NES but I have finished the gameboy one

Pokémon Trainer: He's the generic MC right? So any pokemon game will suffice

R.O.B.: Never owned a ROB. But he was a character in Mario Kart DS before he joined Smash, so that

Robin: No

Rosalina: I love the galaxy games

Roy: No

Ryu: I don't think I played any SF game

Samus: Well if Fusion counts

Sheik: Play Ocarina of Time almost yearly

Shulk: Will eventually get around to Xenoblade Chronicles 3D, after I fight my way through the dozens of rpgs available on the system

Snake: Never really been interested in MGS

Sonic: I have owned and played the original game in more formats than I can count

Squirtle: I swear if there's another pokemon..

Toon Link: Played the DS games but never Wind Waker

Villager: I've played every Animal Crossing game except the original. (and amiibo festival if you count that one)

Wario: Played Super Mario Land 2 and Wario Land, depending on which one you regard as his origin

Wii Fit Trainer: Never had to use wii fit

Wolf: He was in Lylat Wars right?

Yoshi: Played Super Mario World and Yoshi's Island, again depending on which one you regard as his origin

Young Link: Play Ocarina of Time almost yearly

Zelda: Played but didn't finish LoZ 1

Zero Suit Samus: She first appeared when you cleared the original game under a certain amount of time right? If so I played it but never got that screen

fisheyes

I'll break it down a bit.

Series I've played in some form before Smash Bros came out at all:
Super Mario
Yoshi
Wario
Donkey Kong
Duck Hunt
Pokemon
Pacman
Sonic
Street Fighter

Series I've played in some form before I played those characters appeared in their respective Smash Bros:
Animal Crossing
Pikmin
Wii Fit
Megaman

Series I've played since first playing as their character in Smash Bros.:
Game & Watch
Punch Out
Zelda
Metroid
Kirby
Star Fox
Earthbound
F-Zero

Series I haven't played at all:
Kid Icarus
Fire Emblem
ROB/Gyromite
Xenoblade
Metal Gear Solid
Final Fantasy
Bayonetta

Bit of a mixed bag really.

If we say debut instead of original than Roy counts if you played SSBM (yes SSBM came out before the GBA Fire Emblem game he was in).

But as for never playing what you could consider their games ROB, Cloud and Corrin for me (I've got Fates but I'm halfway through getting CFW onto my 3DS so now isn't the time to update). I suppose I should lumber Ryu and Villager in there as well as I've barely played Animal Crossing or Street Fighter in general (Super Puzzle Fighter doesn't count, right?).

Crayolan

Haven't played:
-A Game and Watch game (Mr. Game and Watch)
-Metroid: Zero Mission (Zero Suit Samus)
-A Kid Icarus game (Pit, Palutena, Dark Pit)
-Marth's game
-Roy's game
-One of Ike's games
-Fire Emblem Awakening (Robin, Lucina)
-Fire Emblem Fates (Corrin)
-Not sure if I've played Duck Hunt
-A Starfox game (Fox, Falco, Wolf)
-A ROB game (ROB)
-A Pikmin game (Olimar, Alph)
-A Wii Fit game (Wii Fit Trainer)
-Dr Mario
-I've played Street Fighter a few times before, but haven't ever owned or put significant time into one (Ryu)
-FF7 (Cloud)
-Bayonetta
-A Metal Gear game

24 characters worth of games not played, more than I thought.

I'm missing -

Cloud - Never played a Final Fantasy, although I do wanna play FFVII asap as everyone says it's amazing.

Ike, Marth and Roy - Only played Sacred Stones, Awakening and Fates so have missed out on these three's games.

R.O.B. - I'm guessing you have to own/have played with an irl ROB accessory for it to count? Otherwise, I played as him in Mario Kart DS lol.

Ryu - I've played Street Fighter IV, V and messed around as Ryu in other crossover games but I haven't played Street Fighter II.

Snake - Only played the demo of MGS3 for the 3DS but I assume it's the original Metal Gear on NES that I'd need to play.

Wii Fit Trainer - I think I've only played Wii Fit once although I've always thought about getting it. Maybe some day, although it's the entry price on the Balance Board that stops me.

So I'm pretty close and I'd say it's only ROB and Wii Fit Trainer that would stop me having a 'complete' list

OBias

Corrin, Duck Hunt, Ice Climbers, Olimar, Pit, Dark Pit, Palutena, Little Mac, Lucas, Ike, Roy, R.O.B., Mr. Game and Watch, Wii Fit Trainer are the ones whose games I missed.

Fire Emblem outside Awakening, Gyromite, Wii Fit, Final Fantasy 7 and Bayonetta are the only ones I never played.

Every other character I played a game of at least once.

Despite it being before my time, I knew a friend with an NES as a kid, so I got to play Duck Hunt, Ice Climbers, etc.

Top Bottom