• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U DLC |OT| Mewtwo Strikes Back

Status
Not open for further replies.
SMASHGAF RANBATS – SEASON THREE
With a batch of players with renewed interested in this game, I wanted to post about the SmashGAF Ranbats. Ranbats are much like a sports league, where players are put in brackets to compete against one another. It is all fairly fun and casual, with the goal of fostering a sense of community in the SmashGAF threads. Below are the rules we use to guide SmashGAF Ranbat play. If you are interested, quote this post to see the sign-up link below:

Season 3 starts on Sunday, April 19. Sign-ups will close on Friday, April 17.
The results of the first round are due by Sunday, April 26.

BRACKETS:
I have the preliminary brackets set up. These are expected to change before Season 3 begins, but they provide a strong idea of what match-ups everyone will be facing:
http://tinyurl.com/ktl9yff

SETUP:
• Each player belongs to a bracket.
• Player names are listed as GAFNAME(NNID).
• Each week, you are responsible for playing one new person – of your choice - in your bracket by Sunday night.
• Record the score in Google Spreadsheets using the invitation you were provided with.
o 1 = Winner.
o 0 = Loser.
o The horizontal cells from your name are your score; the vertical is for reference against who you played against.
• The format is Round Robin – everyone plays everyone in their bracket once.

IN-GAME RULES:
• First to 5 wins takes the set.
• 1v1.
• Customs are legal, items and equipment are not.
• Either player may switch characters between matches.
• 2-stock with a 6-minute timer.
• Time Out Clause: if the match timer hits “0”, the player with the lowest damage % wins.
• In-game mechanics result in the stage decision (each player picks; game decides).
• When starting a set, each player may post two stages that are banned for the set.
• For the purposes of this rule, omega-version stages are all one “stage”.
• If a player wins on a stage, that player may not pick that stage for the next two rounds of the set.
• Legal stage list:

All For Glory Stages
Battlefield
Smashville
Town and City
Lylat Cruise
Skyloft
Castle Seige
Halberd
Delfino
Duck Hunt
Wuhu Island

GENERAL EXPECTATIONS:
• Be honest.
• Be respectful.
• Be responsible.

GROUNDS FOR REMOVAL:
• Dishonest score reports.
• Disrespectful conduct.
• Consistent failure to play matches on time.
• Consistent complaints about connection quality.

FAQ:
I am new to SmashGAF – can I join?
Yes! Anyone is welcome to play! This is about having fun and fostering a sense of community.

What should I do to try and find my matches?
PM people on NeoGAF! Try to work out times instead of hoping it all works out. If a player has been banned, PM me for an e-mail contact.

What if my opponent and I are having trouble making our match happen within the one-week period?
You have a two-week grade period to play each match, but do your best to play your match within the one-week period provided. If you do not play a match one week, you must play two the next to catch up. I will be lenient on ranbans, however, and will only ban a player after the ranbat season has concluded and matches are left unplayed.

What should I do if I have tried to set up a ranbat match with someone, but they are unresponsive?
PM me the evidence of your attempts so that I can make an informed decision regarding ranbans.

Why is <Insert Rule> the case instead of <Insert Other Rule>?
Everything exists as it does because I feel it is a good policy. Nothing is cut into diamond, however, and if the majority player base feels a policy change is needed, I fully welcome discussion on the issue.

Can I join late?
Unless someone drops out mid-season, you will have to wait until the next season begins. There is no player cap, however, so you will be welcome to join when the next season begins.

Can I play ahead, or even finish my entire season right away?
Sure, go for it! I encourage this, actually.

Should I wire my connection?
Hell yes you should! Here are two methods to improve your connection:
1) Wiring your Wii U through an Ethernet adapter is the best option. A wireless connection will never stack up to a wired one. Here is a link to a cheap adapter that many players here use, and it works wonderfully:
http://tinyurl.com/qej8w74

2) If your modem is far away from your Wii U, you can try a Powerline Interner Adapter. These work by channeling your internet connection through an electrical socket. I do not use one personally, but several GAF members have praised their efficacy. Here is a list of options; if a GAF member wants to weigh in on the various levels of quality present here, I am glad to recommend one over the others:
http://tinyurl.com/n7xsckk

How were the brackets decided?
The top player from each bracket moved up to the next bracket. The player with the lowest score in each bracket moved down one bracket. New players, including most returning players, are grouped in a new bracket.

This season, the top 2 players will move up, and the bottom 2 players will move down.

I was banned in the first season. Can I rejoin?
Anyone banned during Season 1 can rejoin the ranbats for Season 3. However, if the player is banned a second time, the ranban will be notably longer. Fool me once, etc.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Incredible.

I'm so glad that this DLC means that the Smash Hype will never die. We can all be a family again! Forever!

... I drew Sanic with a hand-drawn, crooked abomination-doppleganger of Battlefield blaring City Escape; would that work for you? If that doesn't work, the level that's literally just a stair case and some cannons launching anyone leaving the staircase back onto it just might do it.
The family that hypes together, stays together.

jnWake

The fresh smell of new OT... It took a while for OT2 to be replaced actually.

Anyway, I'm hyped for the new stuff. Shame I'm losing my replays although I may save some of them with my trusty phone cam.

woopWOOP

Yeah, I've made two stages based on some ideas I had during Smash Hype but it's really limited. Such a shame.
Hey, these are pretty neat actually! I thought you were going for a Dr. Mario jar at first tho :V

Man, if only 8-player mode would allow custom stages...

Son Of D

This makes me wonder if they'll add challenges and stuff with the patch too. I already 100%'d the game but wouldn't mind having some more stuff to do.

I hope we do. It'll be nice Melee nostalgia to have a new Event called "Event 51" where you fight Mewtwo, Ganondorf and (Giga) Bowser.

ciD_Vain

Is Mewtwo out tomorrow for people who registered both versions? Or are the codes just sent out tomorrow and then available for use on the 29th?

Crocodile

So since we know from Treehouse that HooHah is getting HooHah-ed, just how bad is it going to be? I can see Sakurai going full-on Darlexx on Diddy.

Treehouse actually commented on the nature of the patch? When was this LOL

I assume they said nothing else though?

Beats

Treehouse actually commented on the nature of the patch? When was this LOL

I assume they said nothing else though?

JC from Treehouse said something along the lines of "I hear you guys are tired of all the hoo-hah?" or something on the Melee It On Me show before Apex.

Should I wire my connection?
Hell yes you should! Here are two methods to improve your connection:
1) Wiring your Wii U through an Ethernet adapter is the best option. A wireless connection will never stack up to a wired one. Here is a link to a cheap adapter that many players here use, and it works wonderfully:
http://tinyurl.com/qej8w74

2) If your modem is far away from your Wii U, you can try a Powerline Interner Adapter. These work by channeling your internet connection through an electrical socket. I do not use one personally, but several GAF members have praised their efficacy. Here is a list of options; if a GAF member wants to weigh in on the various levels of quality present here, I am glad to recommend one over the others:
http://tinyurl.com/n7xsckk

Thankfully I haven't had any horrible lag with people here, but I still have the issue that with the connection that I do have wired it just constantly gives me a connection error that doesn't allow me to join like 90% of Gaf's rooms while my wireless connection that's further away and used by the rest of my family has no issues connecting to anyone :|

Boney

Banned
I still dream were samus is restored to her invitational status where she was supposed to be the best in the game

Imagine, Samus with the power of a thousand hoo hahs

Typical sakurai troll I bet she was the same as now

ffdgh

I still dream were samus is restored to her invitational status where she was supposed to be the best in the game

Imagine, Samus with the power of a thousand hoo hahs

Typical sakurai troll I bet she was the same as now

Plot twist: invitational samus was actually project M samus.

jph139

So that reddit poll for Smash DLC is closed now - results are posted HERE. Lots of data but here's the biggest piece:

yR2ZPCq.png

Obviously nothing definitive, but 13,000+ isn't too bad for a sample size and it's an interesting Top 10 if nothing else. Surprised that Isaac is so high up there. Poor Dixie. :'(

Hatchtag

Banned
So that reddit poll for Smash DLC is closed now - results are posted HERE. Lots of data but here's the biggest piece:

Obviously nothing definitive, but 13,000+ isn't too bad for a sample size and it's an interesting Top 10 if nothing else. Surprised that Isaac is so high up there. Poor Dixie. :'(

why god why must Ridley's vote suffer so badly? :( This is why Sakurai needs to not dismiss characters before holding a poll.

Basically, Reddit doesn't care about Nintendo characters?

Neoxon

why god why must Ridley's vote suffer so badly? :( This is why Sakurai needs to not dismiss characters before holding a poll.
I'm surprised he didn't rule anyone else out. Seeing Banjo voted so much makes me wonder if people know he has no chance.

ffdgh

I'm ok with this top 3. Bring banjo home for a visit, sakurai.

Sponge

Banned

): The lack of Dixie supporters is depressing.

Azure J

Takamaru... :(

It really blows liking characters with low visibility sometimes.

I've got to admit, I didn't expect the K.Rool support to outmatch Dixie by that much, heck Lanky is almost the runner up by joke votes alone (well unless everyone actually does like Lanky, I know I do).
I suppose it helps that K.Rool has much more unique and interesting moveset potential on paper.

Maengun1

I know very, very little of competitive/technical Smash playing, but I hope Wii Fit Trainer gets buffed a bit. I really like using her, but it feels like her moves never hit properly (particularly the smash attacks)

Neiteio

Someone should organize a GAF vote and tally it up, GOTY-style. Set a deadline and allow each person to vote for 10 characters, with first place getting 10 points, second place getting nine points, etc.

Durden77

Happy to see Snake so high. I know a lot of people want to see him return especially now, so I'm just kickin back and hoping for the best. I think he'll end up in that range in the official ballot too, which is enough to show that people want him.

Neoxon

I'm ok with this top 3. Bring banjo home for a visit, sakurai.
Let's be honest, it's not that simple. There a lot of politics involved, plus the fact that Nintendo would effectively be helping Microsoft (a rival console company) advertise an IP they own through an appearance in Smash & an Amiibo. Nintendo isn't gonna let that happen, even if Sakurai would be cool with it.

Anura

Ice Climbers for top 10!

i kinda expect only small adjustments to fighters. everybody thinks there will be buffs and nerfs all over the board but i think it'll be some small adjustment on the best characters and that's it.

Neiteio

Happy to see Snake so high. I know a lot of people want to see him return especially now, so I'm just kickin back and hoping for the best. I think he'll end up in that range in the official ballot too, which is enough to show that people want him.
I imagine some people didn't vote for Snake because they think there would be legal complications. If people thought there was nothing complicated involved, Snake would've charted even higher.

ffdgh

Let's be honest, it's not that simple. There a lot of politics involved, plus the fact that Nintendo would effectively be helping Microsoft (a rival console company) advertise an IP they own through an appearance in Smash & an Amiibo. Nintendo isn't gonna let that happen, even if Sakurai would be cool with it.

I know but it won't stop me from being a hopeful idiot in the slim chance it happens. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom