• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U DLC |OT| Mewtwo Strikes Back

Status
Not open for further replies.
He has the nerve to put the tag "U~R~BAD" and then I'm sitting there waiting for him to switch his tag back (I already queued myself up, waiting in the training or whatever) and he just leaves -- doesn't even play a SET with me, at least. Most players I've played at least have the courtesy to do a Best of 3, at the minimum (unless they lose and they're really bad and know they can't win the next match anyway).

People get uppity over winning one game and leave. They're scrubs for thinking it means anything, so forget them.

Is anyone looking for 1v1?

Boney

Banned
I fought one guy that used jigglypuff that all he did was ran away, like it must've been 2 minutes and he hadn't even tried attacking, between jumping as rolling away. God it was so annoying, was using bowser, so chasing was extra hard

Revven

I fought one guy that used jigglypuff that all he did was ran away, like it must've been 2 minutes and he hadn't even tried attacking, between jumping as rolling away. God it was so annoying, was using bowser, so chasing was extra hard

Yikes, I can kind of envision how frustrating that would be and you know that strat wouldn't even work on a stage with platforms. Without platforms a bunch of janky strategies work nevermind the fact that it's online to begin with. :/

Jims

Had I known I was playing against someone from here, I would have taken those matches a bit more seriously. GGs, the latency was great in that set.

OK, that's good to hear... Then the powerline adapter is doing it's job. Thanks for the confirmation! It's hard to tell sometimes with this game.

Couple more Karst I gotta get something to eat soon!
Can we test something? I noticed Skull Shield didn't reflect full power Shadow Ball. I want to find out if that is always the case, or if it was just too soon to reflect.

Edit: thanks for the test. I have seen Shadow Ball go through other reflectors when fully charged, too.

Boney

Banned
Can we test something? I noticed Skull Shield didn't reflect full power Shadow Ball. I want to find out if that is always the case, or if it was just too soon to reflect.
The shot can get through the skulls if it doesn't actually hit any. It's a tight window but it's possible, have that happen with samus a lot

I also just had a match like that in For Glory. Some guy is playing pretty poorly with Falcon and switches to Mario. I beat that Mario quite easily. He changes his name to "UR~BORING" and we play again. I 2-stock him while only taking like 25%. I guess playing against Yoshi is too boring to do good against?

Anyone want to play a "boring" opponent?

Boney

Banned
I also just had a match like that in For Glory. Some guy is playing pretty poorly with Falcon and switches to Mario. I beat that Mario quite easily. He changes his name to "UR~BORING" and we play again. I 2-stock him while only taking like 25%. I guess playing against Yoshi is too boring to do good against?

I can play a tad, getting sleepy already though so who knows how long

Good games Karst, but I've gotta run for a bit. Definitely some improvement through that set! It was getting a lot more difficult to get in and do the damage I needed by the end there.

Thanks for playing!

GGs Blackmage. I feel like those matches were approaching evenness. Funny that the reflect doesn't matter much. :p

I never win a set, unless it's someone who's clearly not as good as me. :(

People catch on to me too quickly, and I get stale.

I have a room up. First come first play.

FSLink

Banned

Edit: thanks for the test. I have seen Shadow Ball go through other reflectors when fully charged, too.

The shot can get through the skulls if it doesn't actually hit any. It's a tight window but it's possible, have that happen with samus a lot

It has nothing to do with that Boney. Skull Barrier can only reflect up to 25%, anything more than that will fail to reflect. So Charge Shot does 25% full charged, but fresh bonus makes it go above that. This may also answer your question Karst on why Shadow Ball "goes through other reflectors"

From Thinkaman's writeup on Smashboards: (http://smashboards.com/threads/character-competitive-impressions.367669/page-584#post-19010834)
Reflector + Strong Projectile

No character in any Smash game has ever truly had a strong projectile and a reflector until now. Ness, Mii Gunner, and Villager all have disqualifying traits to their projectiles for purposes of this discussion.) It is a unique combination; something is normally "against the rules." (This is on top of his projectile being both very powerful and very safe, though low damage without charge.)

This means that Mewtwo can force approaches better than almost anyone. Letting him charge up and spam his super-safe 25% KO-ing death ball is a non-starter. Trying to harass him with poke is also a non-starter, though the extent to which reflectors can combat this varies as always.

But not only does Mewtwo uniquely enjoy both of these neutral advantages, he also benefits from the unique dynamic of having both with regards to enemy reflectors.

Mewtwo has a favored sweetspot range where he can throw a Shadow Ball, and Confusion it back if it is reflected! No other character in the game does this with a KO-able projectile, except Villager in very isolated cases with default Timber + Pocket.

Mewtwo's Confusion is a 1.4x multiplier. Many of you know where this is going.

Once a projectile reaches 50% (so for Mewtwo, a 2.0x multiplier), it cannot be reflected again. This means if Shadow Ball is reflected by an ordinary 1.5x reflector, and Mewtwo Confusions it back, it is now at 2.1x and will break any further Reflect attempts.

Taking into account the enemy reflector ratio...
2.1x Fox Amplifying Reflector
2.0x (Dark) Pit Amplifying Orbitars (safe on break)
2.0x Ness F-Smash
1.8x R.O.B. Reflector Arm
1.5x (Dark) Pit Guardian Orbitars (safe on break)
1.5x (Dr.) Mario Cape (default or Gust)
1.5x R.O.B. Rotor Arm (default or Backwards)
1.5x Mii Swordfighter Rainbow Slash
1.4x Fox Reflector (default or Big)
1.4x Mii Gunner Echo Reflector
1.4x Mewtwo Confusion
1.25x Nayru's Love (default or Rejection)
1.2x Falco Reflector
1.2 Mega Man Skull Barrier (can only reflect up to 25% instead of 50%, so moot point)
1.17x Palutena Reflect Barrier
1.0x Falco Accele-Reflector (increases projectile speed significantly)
...Mewtwo can select a strength of Shadow Ball that will allow him to win the ping pong (ideally max 25% where possible.) Consult the following chart:

PwMt1SB.png

And of course, it can still be negated/absorbed by the usual suspects:
Ness PSI Magnet (default or Forward)
Mr. G&W Oil Panic
Falco Reflector Void
Rosalina Gravitation Pull or Guardian Luma
Villager Pocket (all)
Pocket resets the multiplier to 1.9x. Villager can always Pocket Shadow Ball, but you can always reflect it back.
Mii Gunner Absorbing Vortex

In other words, Mewtwo is uniquely well equipped to fight Mario, R.O.B., default (Dark) Pit, and default Palutena at range.

Boney

Banned
Kind of OP that Megaman gets a reflector for a custom. I kind of wish everyone had good options with customs, but for decent amount of characters they seem like an after thought.

edit: and I am still shocked with how well versed Sakurai is in classic nintendo games, Samus did not get a beam custom, or any cool customs (like a speed run custom for side b + ability to shine spark).. I would have totally mained her if she got a wave beam, spazer, ice, or plasma beam custom... Along with a power bomb (though she sort of has this).

I mean the fact that Samus is so boring and slow compared to her game counterpart is truly a tragedy..

I really messed up as Little Mac. Should have done a dash up smash and instead did useless side smash. Sonic feels less cheesy to play against now that he isn't hugely rewarded for the tiniest things.

I fell for all of my own tricks playing against Falco.

Boney

Banned
That last game was gonna be the last but I can't let you end in the sd

Kind of OP that Megaman gets a reflector for a custom. I kind of wish everyone had good options with customs, but for decent amount of characters they seem like an after thought.

edit: and I am still shocked with how well versed Sakurai is in classic nintendo games, Samus did not get a beam custom, or any cool customs (see a speed run custom for side b + ability to shine spark).. I would have totally mained her if she got a wave beam, spazer, ice, or plasma beam custom... Along with a power bomb (though she sort of has this).
No ice missiles was the bigger crime.

It loses its hitbox, though.

I don't think it is OP, I think other characters are gyped.

What character move do you think should have a reflect option?

Outside of Palutena and Megaman, everyone is an afterthought.

It loses its hitbox, though.

I don't think it is OP, I think other characters are gyped.

What character move do you think should have a reflect option?
Robin :p, or at least I wish they gave Lucina customs that made her different than Marth because most of Marth's customs are uninspiring..
That last game was gonna be the last but I can't let you end in the sd

No ice missiles was the bigger crime.
Yah that too (I forget about fusion sometimes).

GGs, Snacks. Really had fun during those Falco dittos, always learning a couple of stuff during dittos. Find Mario to be hard for Sonic, dunno why.

Matches anyone?

Robin :p, or at least I wish they gave Lucina customs that made her different than Marth because most of Marth's customs are uninspiring..

Yah that too (I forget about fusion sometimes).
Which move should have the custom reflector?

Besides, Robin has no basis for a reflector in the games. :p

FSLink

Banned

The reflector that is beat out by anything over 25% and has no hitbox, and has startup time is OP? Yeah okay.

It is kinda lame that other characters don't get as inventive customs though. And that Mewtwo gets none at all.

Robin's main issues are the lack of good movement speed and the lack of guaranteed combos out of throws (I'm all for having to read DI in the game, and Robin gets great reward for doing so, but the lack of being guaranteed + having usage tied to Levin Sword makes the gameplan for Robin unreliable).

A reflector wouldn't really help the weaknesses.

Matches anyone?

Which move should have the custom reflector?

Besides, Robin has no basis for a reflector in the games. :p
Well Samus doesn't have a slow charge shot in the games either, or high jump boots for the zero suit :p
The reflector that is beat out by anything over 25% and has no hitbox, and has startup time is OP? Yeah okay.

It is kinda lame that other characters don't get as inventive customs though. And that Mewtwo gets none at all.
I'm talking more about the option of having reflect along with Mega Man having a decent projectiles shuts down options for characters that rely mainly on their projectiles (like Robin).

Boney

Banned
Sure.

... Your Samus had enough dinosaur meat to last a lifetime. You didn't need any more.

GGs, albeit very one sided.
Well the match in smashville was very very close, surprised I actually took it! You almost spiked me in the beginning and it would've been sick and then I lived to like 160% each stock

Bracket 1 here I go :p

It's like no more heroes here, everyone is eyeing the upper brackets throats

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom