• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U DLC |OT| Mewtwo Strikes Back

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cronox

Banned
Sorry SmashGAF, I failed to get any matches on the recorded setup. :(

Ended up getting 21st out of 120 I think. Both of my losses were super close but involved me doing something stupid to die. First one was against Zage, a good Pac-Man player. I was up about 20% to 80% or so on the last stock game 1 and he started his up-b from just off screen at the bottom of the stage. So I went off to hit him on the third jump from the trampoline and hit him with a luma d-air that hit him towards the stage and then I was just gonna up-b back to continue from there. Then I hit up-b and nothing came out and without really hearing any sound, I didn't realize that I must've hit the trampoline right before I did my up-b and got put in tumble falling through it, so I just continued falling and died at 20. Then in game 3, it went down to both of us above 100% on last stock and I hit him with a Luma f-smash at like 110%. Sparks came out and I thought that would finish him, but he managed to survive it and I didn't remember he had a key charged up on him. So he throws it at me coming back from off screen and I die to it instead.

Then after getting through the next several matches in losers bracket, I ended up playing a good Dedede that I actually roomed with when I went to Apex. That set also went to game 3 since I'm also pretty bad at the Dedede matchup. He just survives so long and has so much rage because of it. I end up getting him to about 180% most of the time before finally killing him but before that point, I have to be afraid of death at anything above 40%. So last game I'm at about 50 something % and on the ledge and I do my stupidest option of getting off the ledge and just do a regular get up and eat the back swing of an up-smash to the face because Luma's a dick and just extends the length of hitboxes to make sure I get hit by it as well.

Then to add a bit more insult to injury, the guy I beat in the first round ended up beating that Pac Man in loser's bracket and placed one round ahead of me <.<

Ah well, lots of solid players showed up today. Didn't get to play all the ones I wanted to, but still got some good friendlies in. Also found out the guy that got 5th happens to live in the same city as me, so might try to get some more offline practice with him sometime.

Man, my last tournament experience went terribly, I lost to Silentspectre (rank 5 on our power rankings), then lost to a Metaknight player in losers who had no business beating me. I was playing terribly, and for some reason after losing our first match I decided that I should strike 2 stages and let him counterpick instead of the other way around, so our match 2 was on Delfino, a stage I certainly would not have picked. He didn't know the rules that well, and I was out of it, so after realizing it afterwards I just took my loss and went home. That same metaknight player then lost to the other Bowser player at the tournament who I don't consider very good.

Anyway, I guess what I'm saying is, sounds like it went alright, and you learned at least a few things to watch for in the future. Can't say I learned anything from mine besides to try not to choke so badly.

Nabster92

20th out of 120 is still nice. Do you happen to know what notable players were there?

I also have trouble with Dedede. It doesn't help that's he's one of the characters I never play against. Always have trouble finding a way to get in when he perfectly spaces himself while the Gordo is out. Also lost against one in a tourney recently as well.

Welcome back!

Probably the more known players were Seagull Joe who won, Boss (2nd), and ChuDat (5th). VABengal, Snow, and TC1 are other generally solid players in the region. Here's the full list of attendees if you happen to know of any others: https://smash.gg/tournament/smash-4-at-the-laughing-man-tavern/attendees

Oidisco

Played some For Glory late tonight and man I had some of the worst matches imagineable. A Bowser that constantly spammed Up B, even after I kept punishing it -- he even spammed it at the ledge when I was hanging on it. All I had to do was Uair him at the right time but the dude kept spamming it anyway lmao.

One thing that really made me annoyed, though, was this one guy... it was the first match of the evening. I pick my Doc and we play game 1, it was against a DDD. The match was fairly close, I could've made the comeback (he was at like 70% at the end of it) but I made too many critical errors with Doc (letting myself get hit by Bairs and Nairs while he's air camping me or whatever). Anyway, I lost, I wanted to play another game since I knew what he was about but instead... guess what happens?

He has the nerve to put the tag "U~R~BAD" and then I'm sitting there waiting for him to switch his tag back (I already queued myself up, waiting in the training or whatever) and he just leaves -- doesn't even play a SET with me, at least. Most players I've played at least have the courtesy to do a Best of 3, at the minimum (unless they lose and they're really bad and know they can't win the next match anyway).

Someone else did this to me later where I played one game with them, I lost, and then they left. I thought it was going to be a trend tonight but it wasn't.

Just annoyed me a bit because it's like, OK, you're going to do a bit of funny little trash talk with a tag and then we play a match, right? NOPE. Dude just leaves. What is that? I mean, really? I don't care he called me bad or whatever, I found it funny, but the guy leaving -- not even playing a full Best of 3 set -- is what bothered me. The audacity.

I've had people call be bad and say that I suck after 2-stocking them multiple times in a row. I've also had people call me a spammer just for doing combos, I've had people call me some really nasty things and one person even told me to go kill myself (that guy played another game with that "killurself" tag, and then I 2 stocked without taking a hit lol).
When that happens, I just change my tag to "lol" and they usually leave.

I have had people do the same when I lose though, and it usually doesn't bother me. Rather than get annoyed, I just block them and move on. It can be pretty frustrating though, especially when they only play the one game and then leave.

What does piss me off though is when people taunt just for throwing me off-stage. It's so dumb.

Boney

Banned
Oh yeah, shame about that DDD nabster, if you're not careful they can defiantly get some good advantages, air stalling works great and his disjoints are pretty dangerous. Bair can auto cancel so you need to be careful. He pretty much ungimpable so it's gonna be one of your hardest match ups for you personally.

The first thing is you need to make Gordos yours, if he's too scared they'll get blasted back, he's gonna cut down on those, so that makes getting in a lot easier. His tilts work great, but they are punishable, so good shielding will get you some good damage. And he's combo fodder you need to get him into situations where instead of going for the guaranteed hit, you bait an airdodge into a smash, he's a fast faller so use that to your advantage

TWILT

Banned
GGs Flux. Fun matches; y'know you love that ledgetrump at the end :p

I feel like I'm playing the vs Sonic matchup wrong still. Bit hard for me to chase down even with Pikachu lol. Do you have any recommendations on what I should be (not) doing?

FluxWaveZ

I feel like I'm playing the vs Sonic matchup wrong still. Bit hard for me to chase down even with Pikachu lol. Do you have any recommendations on what I should be (not) doing?

Versus Sonic, I think focusing on chasing him is the wrong move. He's much faster than most characters, so he'll always have the advantage in that area. A lot of his gameplay revolves around a hit and run strategy. When he's going for the "hit," defense and really reading what Sonic is going for is important, and then punishing accordingly. When he's on the "run," spacing him out (i.e. Pikachu's electricity) and *slowly* edging towards him is a better move than straight up trying to chase him down.

Basically, I think Sonic is always going to be the one who decides the momentum of a match so, as the opponent, it's better to go with the flow than trying to go against it. Playing Sonic's game will actually trip him up more than trying to oppose it, which is what Sonic wants because that's when his speed can easily punish all of the mistakes the opponent will make.

If that's a "please let me in," then by all means.

Karsticles might have something to say about that, but thanks! I'm working on it...

I'll play for funsies so no Mario/Falco, but I expect the best from you!

also mewtwo

Edit: A-actually maybe I shouldn't act like a tryhard myself. >.<;;; Somebody rescue me before I fall into scrub hell.

Cronox

Banned
Aaaand I forgot to turn on team friendly fire... whoops. Whoever is in control please do that.

Edit: any progress on turning that on?

TWILT

Banned
Versus Sonic, I think focusing on chasing him is the wrong move. He's much faster than most characters, so he'll always have the advantage in that area. A lot of his gameplay revolves around a hit and run strategy. When he's going for the "hit," defense and really reading what Sonic is going for is important, and then punishing accordingly. When he's on the "run," spacing him out (i.e. Pikachu's electricity) and *slowly* edging towards him is a better move than straight up trying to chase him down.

Basically, I think Sonic is always going to be the one who decides the momentum of a match so, as the opponent, it's better to go with the flow than trying to go against it. Playing Sonic's game will actually trip him up more than trying to oppose it, which is what Sonic wants because that's when his speed can easily punish all of the mistakes the opponent will make.

I see...thanks! I'm so used to rushing down with Pikachu; guess I gotta break some habits for some fights...

Cronox

Banned
Hoo boy. I actually would like to play with items occasionally but there were a few too many master balls in that setup...

Cronox

Banned
I'm not keeping track or anything but whenever there is a team mate kill its been our side hasn't it.

Bowser comes with some collateral damage attached :/

Edit: going to start doing some Jiggs/Mewtwo experimentation. "cronoc" is Bowser, "cstickatt" is jigglypuff, "learning" is Mewtwo. Just so my teammate knows who I'm going as before we start.

Edit 2: man, we may have lost but I thought me throwing CRQ into Ness' recovery was pretty sweet.

Edit 3: fuck I burned too many jumps to get back :( Also CRQ you're a meanie for picking a swordsman as I go Jigglypuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom