• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U DLC |OT2| Lucas comes out of Nowhere!

Boney

Banned
Cronox, how come you have no interest in playing us now?

I can play if you're still around
Yes let's do thisss

<3

I didn't have good internet for the whole summer so I pretty much only played Smash casually with relatives that I visited. I'm back now but health issues are making it hard for me to play whenever I want.

I'm still following everything about this game though.
Yay! Hope you get better soon.

Chime in on discussions and our whinings then!

Someone remind me what everyone's timezones are, it's getting weird to see people playing during school hours and then I remember "oh yeah not everyone lives in the good ol' USA :^)" Why couldn't the Earth just put everyone on Central Time? :T

Also also anyone here have any experience using ZSS?

Someone remind me what everyone's timezones are, it's getting weird to see people playing during school hours and then I remember "oh yeah not everyone lives in the good ol' USA :^)" Why couldn't the Earth just put everyone on Central Time? :T

Central. But I barely have any classes, so I'm around all day. At least I would be if the internet was fixed, but it still isn't.

I tried to play Zero Suit, but I don't like her neutral game and having a terrible dash grab.

JulianImp

GMT -3. I'd say EST +2, but then there's DST in the US, which can screw that up.

SoldnerKei

ZSS is my second, she doesn't have a great neutral game, she hates shields, her projectile is pretty meh, but her movility is pretty good, her frame data is ok, dat gtfo-jab at frame 1 and you get a bunch of stuff from a grab, so basically you will have to bait hard and punish hard, also metroid fusion alt is what really makes her shine

that's pretty much my experience with her

Was the wooorst

Gee he's had a lot of fun, hadn't fought a good Zelda in forever. Sucks that her recovery is so random.

Has some cool combos though I like, shame her fair and bair are garbage

Only matchup I have decent experience there is ganon. Everyone else my matchup knowhow is a bit lacking

Beats

ya I guess. probably my second most used character.

can't really tell you how to play her but:
- use lots of nair and z-air. especially short hop fast fall nair. landing it on a grounded opponent lets you followup with fair, nair, uair at low mid percents and down-b spike can work too. z-air's just a good mid/long range move. It doesn't do much damage, but you can sometimes combo into dash attack right after.
- grab can sometimes beat spot dodges.
- jab comes out in 1 frame. really good short range move.
- f-tilt's range is longer than what the animation shows. good mid range move to use on the ground.
- down-throw up air is basically her bnb I guess. you can sometimes get 3 up-airs depending on the percent.
- safest kill moves are probably back-air and up-air.
- other ko moves f-smash, up-smash, up-b, down-b stomp for offstage kills and the kick.
- her slow grab kinda makes it harder to fight defensive players.
- if you wait after landing a down smash the opponent will get sent 45 degrees upwards with some fairly long hitstun, so it gives you a good opportunity to get an up-b kill.
- good full jump/double jump height so she can chase people up in the air quickly.
- up-air doesn't really hit in front of her so ignore that part of the animation when using it.

i dunno.

Oidisco

It feels so awesome when you're playing a fighting a really good player that's giving you a lot of trouble, then suddenly everything clicks and you have them completely figured out, and then proceed to 2-stock them 4 times in a row!

Cronox

Banned
My nightly report: I came across that video of M2K killing someone with Metaknight from basically 0%, read the comments that said how to practice that uairX4-ish combo into up b, and went into training mode. It's pretty crazy stuff. Every character seems to have an absurd move or two in this game, but MK's up b is really crazy. Anyway I picked the character up today and went into for glory mostly successfully, besides accidentally killing myself with his side b a bunch of times. Unfortunately I still have the same problems I have with Bowser against Links and Mega Man, but maybe there's more to discover there... MK definitely needs that up b, if he didn't have it he wouldn't be any good at all. Takes forever to kill people otherwise. I'm not a fan of his side b, in every situation it seems it's never the best option unless you're looking for a mixup. I suppose I'll look at some guides later that tell me why I'm wrong and all, but at the moment I don't see it.

For all the fuss about how his hitboxes got fixed, MK is still an incredibly close range fighter. I'm whiffing stuff all the time and I'm really close. Also his jab blows, it goes straight into a combo so accidentally pressing A and getting punished for it has been a theme of the night. I'll keep exploring this character for a little. I'm a little sad for my youtube channel sycophants, I feel like my Bowser play has mostly gone to shit lately, I haven't found anyone competitive to play against in a while. The most challenging players I come across have gimmicky playstyles where I feel like I'm wasting my time - no competitive player would play that way. They get their hits in simply because I can't believe they're about to do ____ again and end up leaving myself open.

Karst, maybe we should do some more Jigglypuff matches, I need a reminder of how to play Bowser :(

It feels so awesome when you're playing a fighting a really good player that's giving you a lot of trouble, then suddenly everything clicks and you have them completely figured out, and then proceed to 2-stock them 4 times in a row!

It's great when that happens, but I always feel a little weird about it... like, my subconscious just picked up the slack and put it together for me. I need to work on the whole "he did that, punish it when he does it again" stuff. I get it intellectually, but it takes too many matches for the switches to flip - if I was in a tournament I'd have already lost by then.

SoldnerKei

Unfortunately I still have the same problems I have with Bowser against Links and Mega Man, but maybe there's more to discover there...

use your extra jumps to mess up their projectile patterns, something I hate from the kirby gang is their aerial mixups and how easily they can gimp him if he mess up on the corners of the stage, also remember that Link is fat, uair strings will do wonders to rack up damage

My nightly report: I came across that video of M2K killing someone with Metaknight from basically 0%, read the comments that said how to practice that uairX4-ish combo into up b, and went into training mode. It's pretty crazy stuff. Every character seems to have an absurd move or two in this game, but MK's up b is really crazy. Anyway I picked the character up today and went into for glory mostly successfully, besides accidentally killing myself with his side b a bunch of times. Unfortunately I still have the same problems I have with Bowser against Links and Mega Man, but maybe there's more to discover there... MK definitely needs that up b, if he didn't have it he wouldn't be any good at all. Takes forever to kill people otherwise. I'm not a fan of his side b, in every situation it seems it's never the best option unless you're looking for a mixup. I suppose I'll look at some guides later that tell me why I'm wrong and all, but at the moment I don't see it.

For all the fuss about how his hitboxes got fixed, MK is still an incredibly close range fighter. I'm whiffing stuff all the time and I'm really close. Also his jab blows, it goes straight into a combo so accidentally pressing A and getting punished for it has been a theme of the night. I'll keep exploring this character for a little. I'm a little sad for my youtube channel sycophants, I feel like my Bowser play has mostly gone to shit lately, I haven't found anyone competitive to play against in a while. The most challenging players I come across have gimmicky playstyles where I feel like I'm wasting my time - no competitive player would play that way. They get their hits in simply because I can't believe they're about to do ____ again and end up leaving myself open.

Karst, maybe we should do some more Jigglypuff matches, I need a reminder of how to play Bowser :(

It's great when that happens, but I always feel a little weird about it... like, my subconscious just picked up the slack and put it together for me. I need to work on the whole "he did that, punish it when he does it again" stuff. I get it intellectually, but it takes too many matches for the switches to flip - if I was in a tournament I'd have already lost by then.
I can give you a set today if you want.

Metaknight should dash attack and dash grab a lot. Do the dash grab close enough and it becomes safe. I know he floats and hops around, but you don't actually play him that way. It is weird. His aerial game is pretty ass.

Neutral B on Metaknight is godlike.

Side B is good for recovery, at least. Somewhat safe on shield.

Cronox

Banned
use your extra jumps to mess up their projectile patterns, something I hate from the kirby gang is their aerial mixups and how easily they can gimp him if he mess up on the corners of the stage, also remember that Link is fat, uair strings will do wonders to rack up damage

Yeah I'm not used to playing a character with so many jumps, that's a whole aerial bait game I'll have to look into. Given that MK has his dash attack and dash grab for approaches, I was finding getting through on the ground difficult, extremely difficult against Mega Man and his goddamn lemons. With Link I think I just need to learn MK's range a bit better. But between Bowser and MK the strategy is the same - I have to approach.

I can give you a set today if you want.

Metaknight should dash attack and dash grab a lot. Do the dash grab close enough and it becomes safe. I know he floats and hops around, but you don't actually play him that way. It is weird. His aerial game is pretty ass.

Neutral B on Metaknight is godlike.

Side B is good for recovery, at least. Somewhat safe on shield.

Yeah unless something comes up I should be around today, let me know.

Neutral b is pretty good for edgeguarding, yeah. I used side b a couple times to recover yesterday and found it trades poorly with other character's aerials offstage. Much safer to go low than risk eating an aerial or smash before he snaps to the ledge, especially cause MK is one of those characters that forces people to shield if they're by the ledge when he uses his up b.

Yeah I'm not used to playing a character with so many jumps, that's a whole aerial bait game I'll have to look into. Given that MK has his dash attack and dash grab for approaches, I was finding getting through on the ground difficult, extremely difficult against Mega Man and his goddamn lemons. With Link I think I just need to learn MK's range a bit better. But between Bowser and MK the strategy is the same - I have to approach.

Yeah unless something comes up I should be around today, let me know.

Neutral b is pretty good for edgeguarding, yeah. I used side b a couple times to recover yesterday and found it trades poorly with other character's aerials offstage. Much safer to go low than risk eating an aerial or smash before he snaps to the ledge, especially cause MK is one of those characters that forces people to shield if they're by the ledge when he uses his up b.
Neutral B is kind of like Fortress for edgeguarding, which is why you probably feel at home about it.

Want to play now?

I also want to play Magius soon.

I'm tempted to play FG again for the 1 in a million chance of fighting Cronox there, but it's so insufferably boring the majority of the time even as I place the token on random. :/

Maybe if I were to do something like just play Duck Hunt or Dedede or
Marth
for a day, that'll make things exciting. Stick with foreign territory and watch what happens. I don't know. What do you guys do? :O

I'm tempted to play FG again for the 1 in a million chance of fighting Cronox there, but it's so insufferably boring the majority of the time even as I place the token on random. :/

Maybe if I were to do something like just play Duck Hunt or Dedede or
Marth
for a day, that'll make things exciting. Stick with foreign territory and watch what happens. I don't know. What do you guys do? :O
I play infrequently so my interest stays high.

Want to play for a bit?

I play infrequently so my interest stays high.

Want to play for a bit?

I would, but I've been playing more traditional fighters lately and I need to get back to learning how to not suck at them.

Well, as traditional as Persona 4 Arena and Arcana Heart are, anyway. >.<;;;;

That, and coding. Did you guys know learning C++ and C# gives purpose in life to self-proclaimed captains with Squid Girl avatars? :D Maybe one day I can make my own shmup, or even a one-button fighter with a two-button dash!

I would, but I've been playing more traditional fighters lately and I need to get back to learning how to not suck at them.

Well, as traditional as Persona 4 Arena and Arcana Heart are, anyway. >.<;;;;

That, and coding. Did you guys know learning C++ and C# gives purpose in life to self-proclaimed captains with Squid Girl avatars? :D Maybe one day I can make my own shmup, or even a one-button fighter with a two-button dash!

Oh hey, I am learning C++ too. Don't really know much about it now, but at least my professor is good.

Oh hey, I am learning C++ too. Don't really know much about it now, but at least my professor is good.

Neat! You should stick with it if it interests you, for me it's very rewarding and pretty easy to learn.

Matter of fact, it's so easy my professor flat out said "if you got all the work done and don't feel like skipping ahead on the book go ahead and learn another language while you're at it. It'll look good on your resume."

Just imagine writing "I learned another programming language while taking a class for a separate programming language because I felt like it, when do I start flipping those patties" on your resume.

Boney

Banned
I wish I knew how to program. Will probably pick that game dev bundle going on and see what I can do there.

On terms of smash talk.

Zero analyzed bowser and his conclusion was he's trash pick Shiek instead.

And while I agree that that bowser is a broken character (he doesn't acknowledge flaws like his up b) recommending another broken character (in the other direction) with Shiek really rubs me the wrong way. I mean I get it, she's the best BY FAR and if you wanna win why wouldn't you learn that character. Still, pisses me off

I love learning programming, but I don't have any artists or musicians to complete the trio in my life. :(

My schedule is all screwed up, I'm about to eat a very late lunch. But I'll be around after that.
K.

I wish I knew how to program. Will probably pick that game dev bundle going on and see what I can do there.

On terms of smash talk.

Zero analyzed bowser and his conclusion was he's trash pick Shiek instead.

And while I agree that that bowser is a broken character (he doesn't acknowledge flaws like his up b) recommending another broken character (in the other direction) with Shiek really rubs me the wrong way. I mean I get it, she's the best BY FAR and if you wanna win why wouldn't you learn that character. Still, pisses me off
I actually appreciate it. If you want Sheik to get nerfed, you need half of top 8 filled with her.

Neat! You should stick with it if it interests you, for me it's very rewarding and pretty easy to learn.

Matter of fact, it's so easy my professor flat out said "if you got all the work done and don't feel like skipping ahead on the book go ahead and learn another language while you're at it. It'll look good on your resume."

Just imagine writing "I learned another programming language while taking a class for a separate programming language because I felt like it, when do I start flipping those patties" on your resume.

Well I am currently in a general first-year for an Engineering undergraduate program. But the computer science class is the most interesting so far (and has the best professor), and Visual Basic (lol) was alright back in high school. So right now I am leaning towards going into Software Engineering.

My professor said something similar in terms of learning another language. He said "It will only take a maximum of one week to learn a new language once you already know one.".

As of right now, there is still quite a bit for me to learn. The last thing we talked about today was comments, so we are right near the beginning. The class is geared towards beginners, but I at least have knowledge of the general concept of things like loops, if statements, etc.

Anyone want to play this game?

I actually did pick up that Gamemaker bundle, hope to tinker with it once the server for registering gets better. By then I should have more knowledge under my belt anyhow.

Boney, there's a whole bunch of resources out there to teach yourself how to program, and often times all you'll need is a command prompt and Notepad (not all the time though don't quote me on this.) If you want to learn, you can, and should go for it. Just do it.

One of us needs to develop some sort of artistic talent so we can make our own Smash Bros with blackjack, and hookers! In fact, forget the blackjack..

Oh, and Sheik. In fact, I'll just ditch Doc entirely and main Sheik. Nothing can go wrong with that and I'll have the most fun ever. Everyone will respect my decision
and my recovery

Just ask any random person in the character forums on mashboards and they'll know twice as much as ZeRo about any character who isn't Sheik or Diddy. His target audience is people who don't know much about competitive Smash Bros. Which I think is still damaging, because you have a bunch of impressionable people watching and seeing the best player in the world reiterate over and over again "There's no reason to play anyone but Sheik."

Some people more capable than this thread have been working on a Project and basically Made their own Smash Bros. But now we aren't allowed to talk about or even stream that.

I made a room. Someone join.

Just ask any random person in the character forums on mashboards and they'll know twice as much as ZeRo about any character who isn't Sheik or Diddy. His target audience is people who don't know much about competitive Smash Bros. Which I think is still damaging, because you have a bunch of impressionable people watching and seeing the best player in the world reiterate over and over again "There's no reason to play anyone but Sheik."

Some people more capable than this thread have been working on a Project and basically Made their own Smash Bros. But now we aren't allowed to talk about or even stream that.
We can talk about it. :p

To be fair, I'd imagine any character specialist would know their character better than Zero if it's not Sheik or Diddy
or Falcon remember that lmaoooo

Also,

What is Hitbox.

What is "Let's say PM over and over and give GIMR a heart attack because lolm2k."

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Sorry Karst we both know I suck. You would wreck me.

And it is hard to catch you at a good time.

Which is usually when my irl friends want to play League.

Used to hate LoL but now I GET it's appeal now.

And it is hard to play competitive Smash as Bowser.

Don't act so grouchy, I can't even play at all until the internet gets fixed. $55 was also too much money for Bayonetta 2, but Nintentax is still in effect for 90% of Nintendo-published games.

To be fair, I'd imagine any character specialist would know their character better than Zero if it's not Sheik or Diddy
or Falcon remember that lmaoooo

Also,

What is Hitbox.

What is "Let's say PM over and over and give GIMR a heart attack because lolm2k."

Someday twitch chat will realize that jokes aren't jokes unless they have context. You can't simply say "lol m2k" or "PPMD" and have it be funny.
No they won't, not ever lmao

Cronox

Banned
Yeah I wasn't kidding when I said my play has gone to shit. A week ago I was playing so much better, I don't know what happened...

Edit: baby stuff Karst? Or were you really salty about that klaw? I'll guess the first.

Cronox

Banned
Cronox, how come you have no interest in playing us now?

Missed this earlier. I tend to play at weird times when no one on GAF is around. Late at night on PST. Until a week ago I was quite content to style on people in for glory, I don't know what's up with me. Also, certain GAFers are just frustrating to play against and I'm not looking for that challenge at the moment. In for glory I can leave after one match if I don't want to deal with the matchup. I had noticed that I hadn't played with GAF for a bit though. Maybe I'll change that (besides playing with Karst just now), we'll see.

Cronox

Banned
Help me think this matchup through while I am on the phone, Cronoc.

Don't get hit, for starters ;). I think you're overextending offstage - Mewtwo doesn't seem to have the aerials to challenge my fortress back to the stage, and his floatiness makes using his dair difficult. Maybe bair? Better to punish my getup it seems. I've been amused at those times where you use nair, I fortress and we both miss each other completely. I'm catching you with utilt, it's a huge move which means you have to respect me when coming down or on a platform.

That's all I've got for the moment, I'm thinking of his tools and not really coming up with much else. I suppose we're on Battlefield a lot (intentionally on my part) so you could go for the side b to usmash.

Edit: This is a thing I've noticed myself doing lately, as soon as I hear the ping of the perfect shield I let go. I've been getting hit by a lot of multihit attacks lately because of this. I suppose it's cause if I spend the extra time making sure the attack is over (and it's not multi-hit), I'll often react so slowly that the opportunity to counter attack is gone. Basically, the reason I shield your shadow balls and immediately ftilt you is the same reason your nair hits me. It's a reflexive thing. For me to not do it against a multihit attack takes time to consciously make an exception. But I've played this way for a long time.

TWILT

Banned
Up for some games if someone wants to play. Gonna mess around with different characters every 5 or so matches, though just let me know if you want me to stick with one.

FluxWaveZ

Up for some games if someone wants to play. Gonna mess around with different characters every 5 or so matches, though just let me know if you want me to stick with one.

I can play. Who hosted last time? Maybe we should mix it up and hope the connection's better.

Edit: Oh, but I'll only be able to play for 20 minutes, if that's a problem.

Top Bottom