• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U DLC |OT2| Lucas comes out of Nowhere!

TWILT

Banned
Up for some games if someone wants to play. Will be messing around with other characters, though I'll use some of my mains too.

Good games. Yoshi is a butt that can only be hit when he makes a mistake, and if he wants he can just weave out with all his aerials.

Cool, tried but couldn't do it

Better practice ur wavebouncing, scrub :^|

I'd play you
in Persona 4 Ultimax
but I'm a fighting game scrub. :c

Well, that and I'd like to get some time in with Mario Maker to justify buying the game lol.

1v1 me in TF2.

TWILT

Banned
GGs Flux. Just been sticking with WFT lately? Yours has gotten really good since we last played.

And yeah, not sure what's going on with the connection these days. Think it's a router issue since I keep having the same issues. I'll have to look into it tomorrow...

FluxWaveZ

GGs Flux. Just been sticking with WFT lately? Yours has gotten really good since we last played.

Yeah, I've mainly just been playing WFT now. Don't really want to switch until she's at a level I'm truly satisfied with her. I was doing some dumb stuff against Link—the lag didn't help—but I was surprised how much difficulty I had against your Shulk. His long range kinda messes up WFT's normals and I have to be wary of what I throw out more than usual, and you're good at managing his super power stuff and constantly catching me in vulnerable positions as I try to recover.

I'm gonna post so everyone notices my avatar.

I wanna use MK some more and take him seriously, but I'm not sure where to start. Hard to get used to a character who doesn't have a projectile and is also not Ike. '~' Anybody got tips?

RomanceDawn

I left town for a few months and when I came back I developed this bad habit. For anyone who's played me the last few weeks, did you notice I throw out way more Smash attacks than I should? It's not that I'm trying to but when I go for tilts in a heated situation it seems like half the time a smash comes out and I get majorly punished. What do I need to think about so that doesn't keep happening? I know what I'm thinking but my fingers input wrong.

FSLink

Banned
I left town for a few months and when I came back I developed this bad habit. For anyone who's played me the last few weeks, did you notice I throw out way more Smash attacks than I should? It's not that I'm trying to but when I go for tilts in a heated situation it seems like half the time a smash comes out and I get majorly punished. What do I need to think about so that doesn't keep happening? I know what I'm thinking but my fingers input wrong.

Switch to tilts on C-Stick.

Hey, Karst. I know you've been busy lately and stuff, but do you think you can give me advice against a Mewtwo player that I played recently? Link He's a G&W main, but uses Mewtwo specifically against me and I seem to have trouble against it. I also had trouble against your Mewtwo. I'm not sure how Mewtwo does in the matchup, or if its just my lack of knowledge against him.

Hey, Karst. I know you've been busy lately and stuff, but do you think you can give me advice against a Mewtwo player that I played recently? Link He's a G&W main, but uses Mewtwo specifically against me and I seem to have trouble against it. I also had trouble against your Mewtwo. I'm not sure how Mewtwo does in the matchup, or if its just my lack of knowledge against him.
Sure thing. I will check it out later. YT links are preferable, in the future. Twitch sucks on phones, and that is my primary posting method.

Edit:
1) You have a habit of using down B (or side B?), jump cancel, neutral B. He blocks it consistently, and then gets a free hit.
2) Why Fair in the neutral? Not Sonic's best tool.
3) Too many honest approaches. I think you have the best offensive Sonic I've ever seen, but you don't abuse his cheap stuff like down B and side B enough. Too many footsie approaches make you manageable. You see stuff like Mewtwo hitting you with Dtilt into Ftilt, and that's only happening because you're running up to him. If you spindash, you'll clank instead, and Mewtwo has nothing.
4) Lay off punishable stuff like dash attacks. Mewtwo has ZERO offensive options against Sonic outside of Shadow Ball (charged).
5) Charged Shadow Ball can shut down everything Sonic has. You have to respect it. Don't go in - make Mewtwo waste it first.
6) Since Mewtwo has zero offensive options against Sonic, how are you getting hit? Mostly, you are getting hit because your approach is predictable and unsafe, and you are getting shield grabbed a lot. Mewtwo shouldn't ever get to shield grab Sonic in this game. If you look at 2:55:50, you can see that your usage of homing dash is so predictable that the Mewtwo player goes for a predictive Usmash - very risky on his part, but he was right.
7) You run up and shield a lot. A lot. Your opponent has realized this, and runs in for grabs when you approach. Instead, consider running in and rolling behind Mewtwo more. He has nothing that hits behind him. Even better: stop dashing in the neutral. :p
8) Don't land predictively. Mewtwo players know how to time their Shadow Ball to hit a landing anywhere on the screen. When you burn both jumps and choose to up B onto the stage to recover, you're giving him a free hit.
9) Don't fuck with charged Shadow Ball. :p It's a recurring theme I see.
10) Do you see how he keeps landing Confusion against you in the neutral? That's extremely dangerous for him, but it's working because your approach is so predictable. Spend more time doing empty spindashes and jumping in place into fastfall. The move is super punishable and crap in general.

Lastly, your stage selection is not good. Battlefield is Mewtwo's #1 best stage. Don't let him have it. He does well on Halberd and Town & City, as well, but you can't ban 'em all!

Metaknight and Sonic are bad matchups for Mewtwo. Change this stuff and you'll fare better.

Boney

Banned
Man, wario is such a good character. Just got off fighting an incredible one. His air speed and aerials are insane. That back air oos will hit you from anywhere. Full hop air dodge can bait anything. His command grab is probably the best in the game due to his air speed (and it helps that it can cover landings from projectiles). The waft is an insane tide turner, better than mac's ko punch. Has insane recovery due to the bike so he can edgeguard pretty effectively, and it's a good harrasment tool if used sparingly. Dtilt and dash attack tripping is the worst as well.
I guess he has not good smashes (well, up smash is great) but ftilt covers fsmash pretty well.

Dude had a great DK as well (that back air jeeeeez)

Ps I miss spinosaurus where he attt

FSLink

Banned
Man, wario is such a good character. Just got off fighting an incredible one. His air speed and aerials are insane. That back air oos will hit you from anywhere. Full hop air dodge can bait anything. His command grab is probably the best in the game due to his air speed (and it helps that it can cover landings from projectiles). The waft is an insane tide turner, better than mac's ko punch. Has insane recovery due to the bike so he can edgeguard pretty effectively, and it's a good harrasment tool if used sparingly. Dtilt and dash attack tripping is the worst as well.
I guess he has not good smashes (well, up smash is great) but ftilt covers fsmash pretty well.

Dude had a great DK as well (that back air jeeeeez)

My brother got out of his pools at EVO using only Wario. The character is great, glad to see more people convinced of the WAA

I just saw this video. Incredible. How is Sakurai so terrible at game design compared to these amateurs?

https://youtu.be/szggXY8k99I

Make sure to watch the full video for Mage Ganondorf awesomeness.

Seems a little unfair to say he's terrible. But the Smash Bros. team does seem to overestimate how much normal players will care about how strong a character is in Free-for-all, or appeasing random online players.

Ganondork is definitely bottom tier on creativity and making use of character history, though.

Dr. Buni

I just saw this video. Incredible. How is Sakurai so terrible at game design compared to these amateurs?

But ff he is so terrible, why are you still playing a game designed by him? Why not play random fan mod (which are based on Sakurai's works) instead?

Also, Ganondorf with a sword is such a dumb idea. A trident would be way more fitting.

But ff he is so terrible, why are you still playing a game designed by him? Why not play random fan mod (which are based on Sakurai's works) instead?

Also, Ganondorf with a sword is such a dumb idea. A trident would be way more fitting.

How is it stupid? Ganondorf has used a sword (or two) in every appearance. Ganon was the one using a trident.

Boney

Banned
Looks super fun to play. Liked the sword less one the best, dat stomp was majestic. It's easier to design characters for a competitive environment if that's your actual target audience. I think Sakurai could do it but opts not to due to his audience being different in his mind.

I think he's wrong because balancing from top to bottom would even out correctly but it doesn't mean he's a bad designer.

Still stuff like MK in brawl and Diddy in this game can make you wonder.

Smash 4 dorf needs auto cancelled aerials. Why does falcon get them and not him?

Seems a little unfair to say he's terrible. But the Smash Bros. team does seem to overestimate how much normal players will care about how strong a character is in Free-for-all, or appeasing random online players.

Ganondork is definitely bottom tier on creativity and making use of character history, though.
Sakurai intentionally removed a ton of what made Melee great just to spite the competitive community in Smash 3. Much of it stayed in Smash 4. Terrible.

I only play now and then to keep my skills up, hoping for Mewtwo to get fixed. I would play a random mod, but they don't have a competitive future. No one at locals plays the games. If we had a 50/50 split between PM and Smash 4 at locals, and PM could get tournament support again, I would probably switch.

I don't care about Sword Dorf. That Mage Dorf is crack, though.

Looks super fun to play. Liked the sword less one the best, dat stomp was majestic. It's easier to design characters for a competitive environment if that's your actual target audience. I think Sakurai could do it but opts not to due to his audience being different in his mind.

I think he's wrong because balancing from top to bottom would even out correctly but it doesn't mean he's a bad designer.

Still stuff like MK in brawl and Diddy in this game can make you wonder.

Smash 4 dorf needs auto cancelled aerials. Why does falcon get them and not him?

Because Ganondorf is strong and therefore needs no other positive attributes.
Don't you know anything about video game balance

Do you guys think we'll be getting a new balance update with the Super Mario Maker stage on 9/30? Seems pretty likely to me...

It's also looking like we might be getting another returning retro stage along with Super Mario Maker, if you go by the evidence people have been finding on the Smash Reddit. If it's another Smash 64 stage, I'm pulling for either Sector Z or Saffron City.

Please be Pirate Ship

Thanks a lot for all of this, really appreciate it! Some of the stuff you said, I didn't even notice until now that I never changed from my play. Going to work on a couple of stuff now..

Do you guys think we'll be getting a new balance update with the Super Mario Maker stage on 9/30? Seems pretty likely to me...

It's also looking like we might be getting another returning retro stage along with Super Mario Maker, if you go by the evidence people have been finding on the Smash Reddit. If it's another Smash 64 stage, I'm pulling for either Sector Z or Saffron City.

Please be Pirate Ship
That's what I'm thinking. Adding another character that date would be nice. :p

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I don't care about Sword Dorf. That Mage Dorf is crack, though.

I won't lie. Once I saw the Magic Based Ganondorf concept that was presented I was all "Hell yes. This is what I want to see".

And then realize I'll be stuck with the neutered version of Ganon we have now. That we have had. For all 3 entries.

And really the main component I really like is the damn hover and damaging teleport.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"

Please be Pirate Ship

Yeah, It's possible that we are going to get balance update with Super Mario Maker stage. I'm hoping that we might get one character and one more stage for this update. I'm not expecting it but it would be nice tho.

Thanks a lot for all of this, really appreciate it! Some of the stuff you said, I didn't even notice until now that I never changed from my play. Going to work on a couple of stuff now..

Any time! I love analyzing play. I wish I could make money giving people feedback on YT uploads, but most people don't care that much.

I won't lie. Once I saw the Magic Based Ganondorf concept that was presented I was all "Hell yes. This is what I want to see".

And then realize I'll be stuck with the neutered version of Ganon we have now. That we have had. For all 3 entries.

And really the main component I really like is the damn hover and damaging teleport.
I am going to watch the video again.

Agreed on the hover. I wanted it for Mewtwo, too. Flight/hovering in 360 degrees is my favorite character ability. I pretty much always go for whoever can so it in a fighter. I can't believe we don't have one in Smash 4 yet. Dixie Kong would fit the role perfectly, as would Ridley.

Only character that can hover albeit horizontally...is Peach. Who I don't much care for.

To be fair, at least her hover ability is actually faithful to her ability in SMB2 USA, so it's not like Sakurai just threw it in to say "Fuck Mewtwo/OoT Ganondorf."

And yet I wonder why Mewtwo at least can't float. He's already super floaty, might as well go all the way.

Oidisco

So I just played Seagull Joe on For Glory. I don't know much about him but I think he's supposed to be one of the better Sonic players in America.

He beat me with DK, Falcon and ofcourse, Sonic. But all of those matches were really close, especially his Sonic and Falcon surprisingly. I ended up beating his Villager, Megaman and Sheik twice!
I recorded the Sheik matches ofcourse.

So yea, nice return from my short break from this game!

I think I found a new weakness for my WFT......Marth. DAMN THOSE LONG REACH TIPPERS!!! @A@

Almost always forced to switch to Palutena for that match up.

Please be Pirate Ship

I do~

Yeah, It's possible that we are going to get balance update with Super Mario Maker stage. I'm hoping that we might get one character and one more stage for this update. I'm not expecting it but it would be nice tho.

I really don't see another character coming with this update. Not quite yet. I think we'll get one soon - and I think we'll definitely get Wolf in a couple months to coincide with cross-promotion and marketing for Star Fox Zero - but for this update I think it'll just be the stage(s) and balance tweaks. *Maybe* a fourth wave of Mii Fighter costumes, but even that I don't think we're getting quite yet.

Either way... why aren't you here yet, 9/30? :(

Cronox

Banned
Christ guys I think I'm burnt out on for glory, I can't even be bothered to style on these idiots anymore. All I meet are terrible players. Links that throw projectiles and do raw usmashes. Ganondorfs. Little Macs... Playing these people is making my play worse. When I find a better player they're just a better Little Mac, or a good Link, or a Sonic or something horrible. I'm just sandbagging lately. I've found some fun in just trying to avoid players entirely with Jigglypuff, flying up and under the stage from ledge to ledge, going for an eventual timeout. Never quite happens, I suppose if I took the task seriously I probably could do it though. I think I hate everyone on for glory right now. I'm playing so passive-aggressive, just fucking with people. Ugh.

People always mention aMSa, but he doesn't really perform that consistently. I guess because he's already known from Melee and is one of the few known international Japanese players. The next Umebura is going to have more international players, so we'll see if the Greninja players who haven't been able to leave Japan can perform.

It's supposed to be 2%, but still pretty crummy considering you're lucky to get 2 of them even at 140%+. In addition to grab having a slow startup while standing, but a normal startup while dashing. I don't know of anybody who wouldn't trade the extra range for a normal standing grab.

Greninja was a pretty poorly-designed character after the 3DS nerfs. His projectile frame data was as slow as Mewtwo and Samus's despite not being able to hold the charge, Substitute is still lame, he didn't have enough KO power. Then they improved his side tilt to not be useless and have massive endlag, but the biggest buff was to shuriken. The frame data could still be better, but the startup is 5 frames faster so now Greninja can actually camp and harass again, rather than every shuriken needing to be meticulously timed and spaced. As for the "Sheik-lite," that's a pretty common claim and doesn't really hold up when you've played enough Greninja. They aren't any more similar to each other than Sheik is to Fox or Zero Suit, they're just both ninjas. Greninja is much more evasive than Sheik, has longer range (other than Sheik's absurd forward air and needles but we don't talk about that), a better punish game, and KO setups. He's more like Fox or Zero Suit in that he needs to look for or create openings with tricky movement, spaced aerials, and a projectile, rather than Sheik who doesn't have to give a shit about any of that because she has needles.

But you and ZeRo both know the main problem with Greninja, he's just not uniquely threatening. He has good spacing and harassment and disjoined smash attacks and ridiculous movement but none of that is scary because his moves don't set up into each other. His up throw up air doesn't combo as often as most throw combos and doesn't work against some characters, nor does he have any way to decently punish airdodges when it won't combo because his forward air is so slow, his up air has no horizontal range, and his back air is so weak. His neutral air needs to hit with a sourspot to combo (why does it even have a sweetspot anyway?), and both his down tilt and neutral air have significant percent ranges where they don't combo (it combos into up smash on a decent number of characters at 80-90%, then no combo until 140%). Why does his forward air have a 16 frame startup if it doesn't even KO until 140%? Why is his up tilt so slow?
If they made Greninja's combo game actually work rather than being heavily percent, spacing, and character-specific, he would be a serious threat. As it is now, he's a really agile character with some good attributes who can finally compete again, but isn't as scary as he deserves to be.

Also his Up B shouldn't bounce off the stage, that's absurd.

I was exaggerating with Sheik-lite... though not that much. I literally let that Greninja player pummel me like 5 times at once and watched my percents go up one at a time. Maybe it's 1.something, I don't know. Maybe the next balance patch will help. Still have no idea why they thought to take away his running side b.

Crayolan

Mage Ganondorf is the moveset Dorf should've had since Melee.

Don't like how dead man's volley works there though, I think it should just be a powerful but slow projectile which can be hit back and forth (with any hit, not just reflectors) to increase it's power and speed.

Only full charge as a stun makes sense.

<3

I didn't have good internet for the whole summer so I pretty much only played Smash casually with relatives that I visited. I'm back now but health issues are making it hard for me to play whenever I want.

I'm still following everything about this game though.

Top Bottom