• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U Thread 10: Against the Odds, We Choose to Hype!

Status
Not open for further replies.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
gif_by_amazingartistyellow-d7qoi4z.gif

EDIT: apologies in advance if I go over any ground covered in the thread. I normally never post without reading the entire thing but I'm desperate to get some sleeps but wanted to get this up before i hit the hay XD

Heya folks,

After combing over the video and Gamexplain's analysis I'm fairly confident I've pinned down the rough jist of how the book and sword system works for Robin :D

I'd post pics and stuff to show how I came up with my theory, but I need to get to bed so I'll keep this short...

Basically Robin has two states: Tome state and Sword state.
In Tome state you are armed with the less ornate looking bronze sword. You can only cast magic while in this state. If you have a comb through the video you'll quickly see that Robin never casts magic while wielding the Levin sword, which is the fancier looking sword.

I was unable to see any kind of indicator of how many tomes you have on the character model, but there was no UI shown so I'm going to assume that like little mac this character will have something on there status UI to indicate how much magical power/tomes they have left.

When this power is exhausted, Robin switches to the Levin sword: It's important to note that aside from during the tome toss animation (which may even be part of a taunt rather than an indicator that you're out of magic), you never see Robin without a book, so the only consistent indicator of whether you can cast or not on the model itself appears to be which sword type is wielded.
While using the Levin sword, your melee attacks are considerably harder hitting and a bit slower.

Now, the only thing I've not worked out is what causes you to switch back to the 'tome stance' aka the bronze sword. Does the Levin sword wear out as gamexplain theorise? Is it a case of automatically switching between magic and sword as each is run down but replenishes the other? It seems the simpler solution.
Two other options are that your magic replenishes over time or that each hit with the Levin sword replenishes your magic/tomes a certain amount and you can switch back and forth between the two states at will.

Some might wonder about the book's colour but as Gamexplain notes, it seems to just change based on what spell you cast rather than actually being a restriction on which spells you can throw out (you can see this in action at the end of the normal video when Female robin attacks with fire, dodge-rolls and then immediately casts lightning without apparently doing any other actions and the book changes colour with the spells.)

Anyhoo, that's my observations. Lemme know what you think and add your own observations :3

Onesimos

I wonder: what is the animation company that produced the animation for today's reveal? Was it the same company that produced the animation for Awakening?

I can't quite remember, but I swore there was one competitive melee player who hoped Smash 4 would be like Brawl 2.0 or something. I might be wrong, let me look it up

Edit: Wait, I just remembered he said he'd main Mario for Smash 4... who was it I was thinking of then?

Was it a poster from Smashboards?

Kriken

It's from 5 months ago, long before the invitational. I'd bet his opinion has definitely changed by now.

Like I said, I couldn't remember it exactly and I'm sure his opinion has changed since then. I just swore a high level player hoped Smash 4 sucked at some point

Most of them probably want Smash 4 to fail on some level. Hungry, PPMD, and others have already expressed criticism with the way the game handles and the way in which characters move.

If Nintendo starts backing tournaments like Evo, do you think they're going to allow a 13+ year old game completely overshadow their new crown jewel for the Wii U?

If this is true, it's the kind of thing I really can't understand. Instead of wanting it to fail, so Melee can keep being played, wouldn't it be far more productive to want it to succeed, so the community could move forward and have something new to play and master?

I'm hoping this game succeeds in every aspect, from casual to competitive play, so everyone can be happy for a change.

On another subject, is it me or are the bodies and clothes of male and female Robin barely any different? I almost can't notice any difference, besides their head, between them!

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
By the way, did any recent rumors mention Robin and Lucina?

I know I've seen them on rosters before, but usually by people posting them for fun and not claiming them to be true.

shaowebb

Ganondorf (with his sword)

Side-B: Flame Choke
B: Dead Man's Volley
Up-B: Teleport (Twice)
Down-B:

Forward tilt: Sparda kick
Forward Smash: Stab
Standard A: Elbow into horizontal slash

Slow ass boss walk speed, running with his sword above his head.

Dash Attack: Vertical Slash.

I'm bored. Lol.

He still needs the jumping stomp to be mashable and faster and he needs some kind of air to air grab and down throw to set up stomps to use it. Honestly if he just had the down throw with enough stun I could make him a monster NOW with the stomp and a good air to air setup grab. As is air grab was pretty much my CHOKENDORF finishing move on folks if I went up 2 stocks to their last one. They knew it was coming like the finisher from the Undertaker. They jump and I'd dash up choke us to hell together and take the win.

...cough...got sidetracked in my Dorf love. Needs air to air down throw and faster more abusable jumping stomp to replace slow current one. Together that would net him a helluva meteor game. Also ledge recovery off of more air moves for fucks sake. If he can't dash well up or sideways at least let them ALL ledge recover if he's in range.

I can't quite remember, but I swore there was one competitive melee player who hoped Smash 4 would be like Brawl 2.0 or something. I might be wrong, let me look it up

Edit: Wait, I just remembered he said he'd main Mario for Smash 4... who was it I was thinking of then?

I suspect you're talking about Overswarm......who's not a Melee player
idk though

Golnei

If this is true, it's the kind of thing I really can't understand. Instead of wanting it to fail, so Melee can keep being played, wouldn't it be far more productive to want it to succeed, so the community could move forward and have something new to play and master?

I'm hoping this game succeeds in every aspect, from casual to competitive play, so everyone can be happy for a change.

On another subject, is it me or are the bodies and clothes of male and female Robin barely any different? I almost can't notice any difference, besides their head, between them!

It's an amplified version of the similarity between the WFTs. They could have at least made one of them a Grandmaster...

Hopefully we'll get some other classes' outfits as alts. Nosferatu proved they're not sticking to the Tactician class entirely, so the door's open.

Do you guys realize that Captain Falcon is the reason that Chrom isn't in Smash?

Joking aside, I know it's not canon, but imo it's pretty amusing that Captain Falcon is at the level of dealing/defeating some of the three most powerful characters from FE:Awakening, who saved the world and everything.
Where's this from?

Their clothes (which are just the default outfits from Awakening) are pretty loose, obscuring the finer points of their anatomy, so to speak
take notes, Ubi.

Watch Da Birdie

Been looking and cannot come across anything. I swear I saw them too

Imagine if there's some old rumor all of us forgot about that proved to be true.

What ever happened to that one dude who had the rumor that also concerned Mario Kart 8, and posted it on the Mario Kart Board? And the rumor that guessed Ashley before she was revealed as an AT?

EDIT: Nevermind, found the Ashley one...mentions Chrom as the newcomer, so that's out.

EhoaVash

I'm looking at my twitter feed and I'm noticing some moaning about smash 4 having too many characters that look anime.

Damn it wiifolderjosh (thebitblock)

Tripon

Hey, I'd love to have both! I just don't know if it's likely.

Well, that's embarrassing. This is what happens when I sleep & only read Japanese sources. :S

Heh. No problem!

I'm looking at my twitter feed and I'm noticing some moaning about smash 4 having too many characters that look anime.

Won't be the first time, won't be the last time I say this. Josh is an idiot, and I'm glad I unfollowed him during the whole Tomodachi controversy when he was making dumb tweet after dumb tweet.

To be honest, I wouldn't mind Lucina taking over for Marth in future Smash installments. In fact, I'd sacrifice Marth if it meant getting Ridley. Or Mewtwo. Or Lucas. Or Wolf. Or Pichu. I don't like Marth =/

ffdgh

To be honest, I wouldn't mind Lucina taking over for Marth in future Smash installments. In fact, I'd sacrifice Marth if it meant getting Ridley. Or Mewtwo. Or Lucas. Or Wolf. Or Pirchu. I don't like Marth =/

You can't replace the original...tho melee pichu may have became brawl pikachu :p.

Watch Da Birdie

Found the RosalinaX one again...

It really fit with Gematsu's rumor (48 characters + four cuts, Snake, Lucas, Squirtle, and Ivysaur), and it came out before the second part of Gematsu's leak and the Lucas-is-cut thing iirc. Hmm..

Pretty odd coincidence...

tumblr_n1izzjkwcA1s4rr21o1_400.jpg

...Kojima's waiting in the wings and laughing, I know it.
HA! I never saw that before.

Snake does have a great ass, but I think we all know who the ass king is. You don't become the best bounty hunter/race car driver in the galaxy without a perfect rear.

Have someone explain to the moaners that Captain Falcon is the only character in today's trailer that's been in an actual anime.

Just sit back and watch the back pedaling.

Tripon

It really fit with Gematsu's rumor (48 characters + four cuts, Snake, Lucas, Squirtle, and Ivysaur), and it came out before the second part of Gematsu's leak and the Lucas-is-cut thing iirc. Hmm..

RosalinaX rumor isn't a rumor, and just trolling/seeking attention, IMO.

Or, y'know, Sal Romano made up his character total and cuts to go alongside the RosalinaX thing because RosalinaX was a well-known "leak".

With Lucina being confirmed and a handful of veterans still to be shown, I'm convinced the total characters will be at least 50.

Cse

Banned

I certainly want the game to be successful as well, but unless system wide physics changes are made to the engine, I doubt most of the competitive players are going to hop on board. Most will likely stay in their own corner, whether's Melee or PM.

The interesting thing is that Melee is growing in the competitive scene. Smash 4 will likely be at EVO 2015, simply due to the fact that it will be new and many players will still be discovering new things.

After that? Who knows. Again, if changes aren't made, the game could fall off the radar much like Brawl did - this is based off of what competitive players have said about the game at this point.

Assuming all of this occurs, what will Nintendo's reaction be when Melee is still the dominant Smash game at all the major tournaments and Smash 4 is nowhere to be found? Do they ban Melee from play at the tournaments they decide to sponsor to give Smash 4 some time in the spotlight?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom