• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U Thread 10: Against the Odds, We Choose to Hype!

Status
Not open for further replies.

nerdbot

Hmm, I don't trust Gamefaqs for shit but we'll see if any of his other predictions pan out.

I remember like, way way way back during the Brawl hype train when I was a wee kid on GameFAQs and I didn't know any better, someone leaked Ness in Smash Bros. and Porky as a boss in an incredible descriptive way, right down to "Lucas trips on a vine in the ground and gets his foot caught in it, somehow" (in the leaker's own words in the post)

There's nothing out there about this, I remember it got shot down pretty quickly too and the guy never posted again, but he was 100% spot on in his description. I'd almost think it's something I made up over the years if I hadn't told this story on Twitter before and had a bunch of people say "Yeah, I remember that GameFAQs post too!"

I still wouldn't trust GameFAQs for shit, I just felt like sharing that anecdote. You could totally leak something for Smash Bros. and never get caught or suspected of leaking because there's so much crap out there, who would know? I feel like if I had inside information on Smash Bros. I'd spill the beans on something too just because no one would ever believe me.

So a month ago a user named Garfield64 made this post on gamefaqs

He now claims he has been a leaking information for over 14 years (his account was created in 2000, and has been active). He says he is a game tester in Japan.

He claims a lot of his leak get shot down and modded.

How does SmashGaf feel about this. The part about Gematsu being correct, except Lucina is in over Chrom has a lot of peoples attention atm. Sorry if this has been brought up already.

This leaker has responded saying:

For my "leak" I need leaks. So....

64 playable characters (empty box number)
12 are bosses. (4 rows of 16, 3 last columns have special border)
Bosses require Wii U tablet.
Bosses include Ridley, Petey, King K, Dark Pit
Bosses have HP and hit harder as HP lowers
Some NFC figures will have exclusive early release DLC, abilities, and costume alt they are wearing.

I will release more leaks laters to make this like the gemetsu xD (know some clones, more bosses, and a cool gameplay element)

This is interesting, but not sure if i entirely believe. So 52 playable characters, but 12 are bosses?!?!

Neiteio

The best way to go about it is to completely ignore it. Maybe if we got playable boss mode or Marshal we could start looking at it seriously (but most of us here called playable boss mode anyway), but for now, it's just a random poster on GameFAQs.
That's fair. Me personally, I'm already looking at it a bit more seriously because of Lucina and how well this would explain the way they're teasing Ridley. But yeah, there's nothing substantial enough to stake any real expectations on it. Not yet.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Playable Tabuu.

Why the fuck not? I wanna play as the crazy overpowered boss.

Some NFC figures will have exclusive early release DLC, abilities, and costume alt they are wearing.

I will release more leaks laters to make this like the gemetsu xD (know some clones, more bosses, and a cool gameplay element)

The way he phrased that makes it seem like he's teasing you though.

But I think 52 characters + 12 Bosses would be amazing.

This is interesting, but not sure if i entirely believe. So 52 playable characters, but 12 are bosses?!?!

Is he implying that the 12 bosses are regular characters, playable in any mode? That couldn't be, because Sakurai's been insistent that the Wii U and 3DS rosters will be identical. If bosses are playable at all, it would have to be in a special "Boss Attack" mode or something. I think that's a very plausible mode for the Wii U, but then the whole "4 rows of 16, 3 last columns have special border" thing doesn't make sense. Special characters playable in only one mode wouldn't affect the main character select screen like that.

Neiteio

Let's just have some fun with this and assume there are 52 characters.

You could have every single character return from Brawl... and add 13 newcomers (the 11 we have so far, plus Shulk and Chorus Men/Marshal).

Or you could drop Snake and swap in Mewtwo.

A 50+ roster would be awesome. :)

Is he implying that the 12 bosses are regular characters, playable in any mode? That couldn't be, because Sakurai's been insistent that the Wii U and 3DS rosters will be identical. If bosses are playable at all, it would have to be in a special "Boss Attack" mode or something. I think that's a very plausible mode for the Wii U, but then the whole "4 rows of 16, 3 last columns have special border" thing doesn't make sense. Special characters playable in only one mode likely wouldn't affect the main character select screen like that.

Yeah, that was my thought as well. Maybe he's just talking about the roster for the Boss attack mode lol

The best way to go about it is to completely ignore it. Maybe if we got playable boss mode or Marshal we could start looking at it seriously (but most of us here called playable boss mode anyway), but for now, it's just a random poster on GameFAQs.

I must not be on here as much as I thought then because this is the first I'm hearing about a possible playable boss mode.

52 regular characters sounds like a pretty huge size (though I do think we'll get *close* to the 50 mark), but the way bosses work sounds fake to me. Just seems really out there to dedicate part of the screen to a row of gimmick characters who probably won't ever get used much since they're tablet-exclusive.

Wouldn't mind it if it were true though, since it makes K. Rool and Ridley pseudo-playable :V

ike still more swole than cap

Falcon's slimmed down actually.

l2z6DMw.jpg

I must not be on here as much as I thought then because this is the first I'm hearing about a possible playable boss mode.

It's been a pretty common idea for the Wii U's exclusive mode. A few of us were just talking about it the other day.

I think people have been mentioning it on and off since we knew about Smash Run. It would make sense for the Wii U's mode to be asymmetrical.

But then again, maybe we're all leakers too.

I remember like, way way way back during the Brawl hype train when I was a wee kid on GameFAQs and I didn't know any better, someone leaked Ness in Smash Bros. and Porky as a boss in an incredible descriptive way, right down to "Lucas trips on a vine in the ground and gets his foot caught in it, somehow" (in the leaker's own words in the post)

There's nothing out there about this, I remember it got shot down pretty quickly too and the guy never posted again, but he was 100% spot on in his description. I'd almost think it's something I made up over the years if I hadn't told this story on Twitter before and had a bunch of people say "Yeah, I remember that GameFAQs post too!"

I still wouldn't trust GameFAQs for shit, I just felt like sharing that anecdote. You could totally leak something for Smash Bros. and never get caught or suspected of leaking because there's so much crap out there, who would know? I feel like if I had inside information on Smash Bros. I'd spill the beans on something too just because no one would ever believe me.

I know what you're talking about, and it was even more detailed than that. I'm sure someone could find it. IIRC, one of the GameFAQs mods even got upset and told him to leave because he was "obviously" another fake or something along those lines.

I know I for one would not be happy with Ridley being only playable as a Special Boss Character, though it would make sense based on the teases we have gotten.

Full playable character or bust, accept no substitutes!

Burning Justice

the superior princess

He now claims he has been a leaking information for over 14 years (his account was created in 2000, and has been active). He says he is a game tester in Japan.

How does SmashGaf feel about this. The part about Gematsu being correct, except Lucina is in over Chrom has a lot of peoples attention atm. Sorry if this has been brought up already.
Interesting. The fact that he's been around a long time doesn't really mean much--posting fake leaks doesn't get you banned on GameFAQs like it does on GAF. It gets you moderated, but unless you do it constantly, you'll more than likely just get off with a warning.

That said, there have been some legit leaks posted there in the past. Not saying I believe it, but I guess I'll keep that post in mind--no harm in that.

Bleep

Maybe it's just a consequence of the lighting, but in shots like this:
screen-5.jpg

Her face looks so blank. Compare:
screen-10.jpg

Again, I'm sure you're right about the models, but for whatever reason, of the screenshots we have, she looks more expressive in the 3DS ones.

It could be a Noh mask style illusion rather than a more expressive model.

Several types of masks, in particular those for female roles, are designed so that slight adjustments in the position of the head can express a number of emotions such as fear or sadness due to the variance in lighting and the angle shown towards the audience.

noh-mask-effecthmjor.gif

EulaCapra

Curious to see what else they've posted. Although they really should've been upfront about Robin....and everything else but maybe they don't wanna spoil the surprise lol.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???

I think the above would be an interesting concept as Nintendo needs to differentiate both versions from one another - I'm definitely buying both. Furthermore, the NFC figures having alt costumes and content seems common knowledge as Nintendo needs to provide an incentive for players in order to invest in those figurines beyond the collecting aspect of it.

nerdbot

I know what you're talking about, and it was even more detailed than that. I'm sure someone could find it. IIRC, one of the GameFAQs mods even got upset and told him to leave because he was "obviously" another fake or something along those lines.

Yeah, even dumb 15-year-old me at the time was like "wow, what a load of garbage! wishful thinking at best!!" but then when January rolled around and stuff started getting out from the review copies it all came together. Funny how it happens like that.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Huh, I don't remember any detailed leaks about SSE. Well, except the stuff that came out when Brawl came out in Japan.

I just remember the stuff about Dragoon, Wolf, Toon Link, and R.O.B.

Drago

Fucking leakers...

If it's true, anyways. I kinda hope it is because I really like the playable boss concept. I was hoping for 5 player Smash in the WiiU version and playing as boss characters would be a neat way to go about it (even if it's gimmicky). Plus, playable K. Rool and Petey Piranha :O

Will there be a pic of the day tonight? When was Robin's pic of the day uploaded in Japan? Are we sure that wasn't Tuesday already then?

EDIT: Either way I really hope we get some info on what Lucina's deal is fast. That's not a subject I'd like to see kept open.

It's been over a month and we still don't know how Palutena works overall. I wouldn't hold my breath.

I miss crazy hobo-on-a-corner "leaks" about Smash Bros. The Gematsu thing kind of subdued them for a while since they all had to conform to that in one way or another.

The only kind of dumb obviously fake leaks you see for Nintendo games anymore are right before E3, when you get tilted photos of an impossible fanboy wish fulfillment list, or somebody posting a massive wall of nonsense about how he knows via his friend at a QA company/psychic visions* that this is the year that Grimdark Zelda, Star Tropics, and Mother 4 will be revealed.

*yes this happened once

jnWake

After today's reveal I don't feel like believing another leak so quickly! Besides, Lucina isn't such a wild guess (not like Gematsu's Wii Fit Trainer), so I have no reason to believe that leaker. In any case, 52 characters and the Rhytm Heaven guys wouldn't be bad!

Canon

Banned
I'm happy Lucina is in. That's a lot of blue-haired Fire Emblem toons.

A lot of complaints seem to be they are generic anime characters. And... well, maybe. But Nintendo doesn't have many generic anime characters.

36 announced characters, plus:
Dixie Kong
Isaac
Marshal
Miss Ribbon
Shulk
Falco
Ganondorf
Ice Climbers
Jigglypuff
Meta Knight
Mewtwo
Mr. Game & Watch
Ness
R.O.B.
Wario
Wolf

= 52 characters. Unless Marshal and Miss Ribbon are one character, meaning there's room for one more. Snake?

GamerSoul

I'll see it when I believe it BUT it does sound very interesting. Sakurai has been doing an amazing job of incorporating so many great and loved characters in so many different ways, so i would not put this type of thing passed him. By having a Boss mode it would be a nice way to stay true to certain Bosses without having to resize or some-what nerf them. The idea of having playable bosses that retain their "Boss-ness" (can't come up with a better word lol) does sound more epic also.

36 announced characters, plus:
Dixie Kong
Isaac
Marshal
Miss Ribbon
Shulk
Falco
Ganondorf
Ice Climbers
Jigglypuff
Meta Knight
Mewtwo
Mr. Game & Watch
Ness
R.O.B.
Wario
Wolf

= 52 characters. Unless Marshal and Miss Ribbon are one character, meaning there's room for one more. Snake?

Miis are 3 characters, and yeah, they'd count as one going by this "leak".

I miss crazy hobo-on-a-corner "leaks" about Smash Bros. The Gematsu thing kind of subdued them for a while since they all had to conform to that in one way or another.

The only kind of dumb obviously fake leaks you see for Nintendo games anymore are right before E3, when you get tilted photos of an impossible fanboy wish fulfillment list, or somebody posting a massive wall of nonsense about how he knows via his friend at a QA company/psychic visions* that this is the year that Grimdark Zelda, Star Tropics, and Mother 4 will be revealed.

*yes this happened once

My favourite ones are the ones where they're like 'this is it; Nintendo is going hardcore. 3rd party Western developed game with blood, tits, guns, and tank tops!!!!!!!!'

Miis are 3 characters, and yeah, they'd count as one going by this "leak".

Miis are functionally three characters (well, actually way more than three), but they seem to be officially lumped together. And I don't see where they'd be counted as one for sure by the "leak", but I may have just missed it.

Gilbals

Banned
Guys, didn't we just blam a leak that people were practically holding as gospel? Why are so many people trying to bandwagon onto a new leak? Let it rest. We got 8 weeks until we know every dirty secret of the 3DS version, and give it another week and people will have popped that to see if they can shed any light on Wii U stuff through the data.

Miis are functionally three characters (well, actually way more than three), but they seem to be officially lumped together. And I don't see where they'd be counted as one for sure by the "leak", but I may have just missed it.

They're officially called three characters, I believe it was in their opening video. They're definitely said it at least once.

Guys, didn't we just blam a leak that people were practically holding as gospel? Why are so many people trying to bandwagon onto a new leak? Let it rest. We got 8 weeks until we know every dirty secret of the 3DS version, and give it another week and people will have popped that to see if they can shed any light on Wii U stuff through the data.

Honestly? Because it's fun. :p I can totally see any of these leaks going to hell, but hey, you never know for sure. Might as well toy around with the idea until it's for sure shot down, because it's not like there's much better to do in the meantime. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom