• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U Thread 9: F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5

Status
Not open for further replies.

L00P

Part of me hopes that Rayman isn't playable, since I'm not a fan of him and would prefer to have those assets put elsewhere. On the other hand... Rayman being playable gives hope that the Gamatsu leak isn't all inclusive.
I need muh Ridley.

I doubt all the newcomers were in that gematsu leak. But Rosalina was the only one that was not there so...maybe there are still surprises

Sakurai PLEASE KEEP SHITTY WESTERN CHARACTERS OUTSIDE MY SMABRO.

A trophy is already way more than I would personally tolerate.
from NO ANIME IN MY SMASH in the newcomer trailer/shulk trailer thread to NO CARTOONS IN MY SMASH truly the circle of smash life

What was your opinion on Diddy getting in Brawl, being the only western-made character in Smash and all?

when did we start thinking that a trophy means not playable?

don't you unlock player trophies in Smash?

this is a cross post from Rayman thread just want to know why people think trophy means not playable

Kinda asked this in IRC but... what would people's reactions be if this was the beginning of a descent into cthulu-esque madness where the Gematsu prophecy didn't seem to apply...
What if... the reveal today was KOS MOS? :p

Would the sky burn? would people riot? would it trigger the end of days? Would some people go "ooh, never heard of her, but she's by the xenoblade folk? that's cool I guess"?

Golnei

this is a cross post from Rayman thread just want to know why people think trophy means not playable

It's a trophy not modeled by the Smash team, revealed in a PoTD. The origin is unprecedented, but there's enough to suggest it's not indicative of a playable character.

Moonlight

Banned

Because a character is not going to get revealed as a trophy first. That literally doesn't make sense.

HUELEN10

Lets look at the facts here...
Is this really Rayman?
Last I checked Rayman had a Red tongue
rayman_origins_conceptart_eMlAt.jpg

God save us all..
Why is Rayman's head a swastika in that art?
I don't understand you guys, why would Sakurai include a character modeled by someone else? It's a third party trophy.
Maybe that's the "Classic" trophy of the Character. Trophies have variants.

Golnei

Kinda asked this in IRC but... what would people's reactions be if this was the beginning of a descent into cthulu-esque madness where the Gematsu prophecy didn't seem to apply...
What if... the reveal today was KOS MOS? :p

Would the sky burn? would people riot? would it trigger the end of days? Would some people go "ooh, never heard of her, but she's by the xenoblade folk? that's cool I guess"?

If we're descending into madness, we'd better get some Eternal Darkness representation.

from NO ANIME IN MY SMASH in the newcomer trailer/shulk trailer thread to NO CARTOONS IN MY SMASH truly the circle of smash life

What was your opinion on Diddy getting in Brawl, being the only western-made character in Smash and all?

Diddy is a Nintendo character. I became accustomed to him and now I feel it's part of the family. Like Rare D.K. he got years and layers of work and characterization and his design got more and more 'Nintendo' until DKC TP where he is a superb character.

But Rayman, ughhh

I'M FINISHED!

Um exCUSE me Sakurai but CLEARLY the best choice for Smash Bros would be my fav niche character HOWEVER you are clearly INCOMPETENT and
A trophy doesn't necessarily mean a character will be payable. Mach Rider isn't playable, and the Mach Rider has a rockin' trophy.

I think it's mostly because it's never outright said that they will be characters. Otherwise we'd be speculating about Wonder Red, Phosphora, Dillon, other Wonder Colors, ect.

Moonlight

Banned
Fuck everything. I'm on the KOS-MOS hype train now. Clearly that's the only explanation why Xenoblade staff is retweeting the announcement!

It seems really weird to me that they would do all the legal work to get ubisoft involved in smash brothers and not include a playable character.

this is the most bizarre fuckin thing

It's a trophy not modeled by the Smash team, revealed in a PoTD. The origin is unprecedented, but there's enough to suggest it's not indicative of a playable character.

Because a character is not going to get revealed as a trophy first. That literally doesn't make sense.

Sakurai never reveals a character as a trophy.

No trailer reveal.

I think it's mostly because it's never outright said that they will be characters. Otherwise we'd be speculating about Wonder Red, Phosphora, Dillon, other Wonder Colors, ect.

Sakurai is a tricky troll that can one day turn this expectation around put out a trophy everyone assumes not playable then later drops a newcomer trailer

that is the kind of troll he is

...Actually, was their gender ever confirmed?
Some people think Mach Rider is a girl because in the original game, you can unlock a picture of a Barbarellaesque lady in front of the bike, but she is taller than Mach Rider, has dissimilar body proportions, and her dominant hand is different, so I'm pretty sure they are different characters, and it's just supposed to be a little "bonus".

ICTz3kF.jpg

Plus, Mach Rider has very definite male proportions in the one official picture of him, so I believe he's a guy. (Of course, that means nothing unless Nintendo feels the same, but I don't think it's supposed to be a Samus in the original Metroid type thing.)

Edit: Plus, his trophy description lists him as male.

OiZUN84.jpg

I'M FINISHED!

Um exCUSE me Sakurai but CLEARLY the best choice for Smash Bros would be my fav niche character HOWEVER you are clearly INCOMPETENT and
So...

If the rumor is true and Ubisoft actually campaigned to get Rayman in Smash maybe the trophy is just Nintendo throwing them a bone.

Alright time for a prediction before I hit the hay.

Shulk revealed along with Xenoblade Chronicles Stage.

Captain Falcon & Falco also revealed to return.

2nd Surprise character revealed!

Bam. Goodnight.

Golnei

Some people think Mach Rider is a girl because in the original game, you can unlock a picture of a Barbarellaesque lady in front of the bike, but she is way taller than Mach Rider, and her dominant hand is different, so I'm pretty sure they are different characters, and it's just supposed to be a little "bonus".

ICTz3kF.jpg

Plus, Mach Rider has very definite male proportions in the one official picture of him, so I believe he's a guy. (Of course, that means nothing, but I don't think it's supposed to be a Samus in the original Metroid type thing.)

Edit: Plus, his trophy description lists him as male.

OiZUN84.jpg

The evidence does seem to lean more heavily on them being male, but I'd still like to hope for the possibility of another female protagonist - the laterality could be a similar deal to Snake's use of a gun and knife in each hand, the bodily proportions could be fudged by the art style, and the trophy description could be a case like Samus in the NES manual and Smash 64 trophy description. But it'd be fine with them being male as well; any focus for the character/series would be welcome at this point.

HUELEN10

I my headcanon (you can stop laughing now), Mach Rider takes place before F-Zero, and a gorillion years later, her descendant named Megan would later lead the Hot Violet to victory at the finish line.

BlwMbSt.jpg

Her outfit even seems like a feminine re-imaging of the Mach Rider suit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom