• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U Thread XI: Where 90% correct equals 100% wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.

PKrockin

May someone pocket a 3DS copy from the presses! (I do not condone stealing, but the earlier the leak the better!)
I'd like to be surprised by some things, although that's impossible with the Japanese release being earlier. Whether I like it or not I'm going to end up knowing everything weeks before I could have played it and enjoyed the surprise myself :/

georly

I'd like to be surprised by some things, although that's impossible with the Japanese release being earlier. Whether I like it or not I'm going to end up knowing everything weeks before I could have played it and enjoyed the surprise myself :/

Worldwide launch would have been nice. That + Wind waker-style early digital launch would have fixed leaks, period.

Anbec7

Hey, then for SDCC it's only the 3DS version that is getting a tournament right?
But there is the Wii U version for people to play too right?

Oh god half the thread is people quoting someone else and basically saying "yes" and the other half is talking about how many posts there are...
Smash hype has never been more real haha

We desperately need a SDCC announcement just to keep our sanity

SSE was Miyamoto's idea. He approached Sakurai and said they needed a strong single-player mode and the eventually hashed out what SSE would become.

I can't picture a number of HAL employees/Sora employees (which is, what, Sora is Sakurai and his wife and maybe another guy whose name I have forgotten, they do concept and design work like Mistwalker did while another studio does the actual development with Sora overseeing) refusing to work on something that Miyamoto and Sakurai decided on unless they were literally 15 years old.

The "leak" keeps referring to Sora as multiple people - it was one veteran game designer and his wife and now no longer exists since Iwata just contracts Sakurai for new projects every time the last one has finished up. For an insider leak, that seems like a pretty fundamental thing to get wrong.

X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member
Oh god half the thread is people quoting someone else and basically saying "yes" and the other half is talking about how many posts there are...

If we get a newcomer announcement, we'll be in Thread 12 by Saturday.

Of course there won't be an equivalent situation this time; we've known for a while that there won't be any story mode like SSE, so that's just obvious. Not to mention how ridiculous the whole bit about Sakurai firing people for not yessing him at every turn is.

I'm sorry, I'm not sure what's throwing you. All he's saying is there isn't a situation in the development of this game that would detract from character creation like there was in Brawl. That we shouldn't expect a "Forbidden 7", if you will, because nothing is in this game that would consume the kind of resources that the SSE did.

The quote is not confirming the absence of a story mode. Which we know there isn't.

emb

Yes.

Laughlin

Is there some type of control stick nub out there for the 3DS? I can't imagine how much of a pain it'll be trying to play Smash with the circle pad.

Caladrius

May someone pocket a 3DS copy from the presses! (I do not condone stealing, but the earlier the leak the better!)

I don't know how Japan handles NDAs but it seems more likely that someone with a review copy is going to end up being the one with the golden scoop. NDA's get you fired. Theft can get you sent to prison.

I'm sorry, I'm not sure what's throwing you. All he's saying is there isn't a situation in the development of this game that would detract from character creation like there was in Brawl. That we shouldn't expect a "Forbidden 7", if you will, because nothing is in this game that would consume the kind of resources that the SSE did.

Well, that and they have an assload of staff from two companies and a clear development direction from the start.

Cool! What's the source on that info?

It was in the Iwata Asks for Brawl, I believe. Sakurai kept wanting to do a single player game, while Miyamoto wanted to focus on what could be done in the time allotted for development. With Brawl, they had more time and money, so Miyamoto approached him with the idea for SSE and suggestions on how to proceed with it.

Did antbody else not really grasp what was going on in SSE until they read a plot analysis online? So much going on that I missed the first time, then again I was pretty young

SmithnCo

Is there some type of control stick nub out there for the 3DS? I can't imagine how much of a pain it'll be trying to play Smash with the circle pad.

I have seen caps that you can put over the pad to extend it, no idea how well they work. Might be worth a shot.

Toxi

Banned
The SSE was horrible because it's basically a Kirby game without the brevity and style of Kirby games. The levels are unbearably long and boring.

Miyamoto made a poor decison, and Brawl's developers made a poor execution of that decision.

I thought it was that Sakurai wanted to include an ambitious single-player mode from the start, but Miyamoto advised him to focus on the multiplayer?

Did antbody else not really grasp what was going on in SSE until they read a plot analysis online? So much going on that I missed the first time, then again I was pretty young

I understood mostly everything except for the twist the involving Mr. Game and Watch.

SSE was Miyamoto's idea. He approached Sakurai and said they needed a strong single-player mode and the eventually hashed out what SSE would become.
You sure about that? I seem to recall an interview where Sakurai mentioned how he wanted to expand upon Adventure Mode in Melee but was advised not to by Miyamoto who emphasizes the importance of focusin on the multiplayer aspect first. To me it was Miyamoto's stepping back and Iwata giving Sakurai more of the reins with Brawl that resulted in the massive expansion of Adventure Mode -- aka Subspace Emissary.

There was a time where someone stole a MGS3 demo from E3. It somehow had most of the game on it (I think it was the last E3 before release).

I think they keep things more tightly guarded in general since then.

Anbec7

It was in the Iwata Asks for Brawl, I believe. Sakurai kept wanting to do a single player game, while Miyamoto wanted to focus on what could be done in the time allotted for development. With Brawl, they had more time and money, so Miyamoto approached him with the idea for SSE and suggestions on how to proceed with it.

Sadly SSE was not that good... sure interesting but maybe in another Smash.
What I would like to return is those special arcade type of fighter during the "story" of Smash 64

georly

Cool. I'd absolutely LOVE a postmortem smash bros book written by sakurai and other head honchos involved. It would probably be one of the most fascinating pieces of insight into video game development ever. Their situation is so incredibly unique and unlike anything else in the video game industry.

What I would like to return is those special arcade type of fighter during the "story" of Smash 64

SSE really should have been its own standalone title so it could have received the attention it deserves and not detract from the main smash bros mode. A nintendo character sidescrolling adventure game is a great idea, but it needs TLC that a game like smash bros can't give it.

Mr-Joker

Banned
I go away to eat my dinner and already we are in 10 pages in.

WHAT SUPER POWER DO YOU GUYS HAVE?!!! o_O;

I thought it was Sakurai since Miyamoto shot down the idea of expanding the single player mode in Melee.

I think it was ultimately hamstrung by Smash's mechanics. A Nintendo action game designed from the ground up like that would have been fine, but it was a bit too sluggish even with the fastest characters.

Sakurai: "Smash will be at SDCC!"
GAF: "OMG NEWCOMER AND CONTENT BLOWOUT"
-no newcomer-
GAF: "OMG CUTS WERE MADE GAME IS UNPOLISHED WHY NOT DELAY IT"

I think it was ultimately hamstrung by Brawl's mechanics. A Nintendo action game designed from the ground up like that would have been fine, but it was a bit too sluggish even with the fastest characters.

ftfy

I can only imagine what Melee physics in SSE would have been like

Probably not much better but hey

you'd beat it in 2/3 the time at least

Anbec7

I think it was ultimately hamstrung by Smash's mechanics. A Nintendo action game designed from the ground up like that would have been fine, but it was a bit too sluggish even with the fastest characters.

That's... a pretty way to put it, actually it's perfect it was similar to what I was thinking but now that I'm remembering the SSE I have to agree.

-no newcomer-

WELCOME TO DIEEEEEE (Madness weekendGAF get ready)

Also what about the fact there is evidence to suggest the SSE was a canceled Kirby Wii prototype?

I mean, if it wasn't working as a Kirby game it doesn't work any better with Smash characters.

-no newcomer-

Smash hype can basically be summed up by adventure #2 from the Dark Souls YOLO comic.

0pPGX.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom