• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U Thread XI: Where 90% correct equals 100% wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.
Captain Falcon is a beast.

So Thread 10 went without a reveal right? Or was it just in time for the Lucina/Robin blowout?

Lucina/Robin came in at the tail end of Thread 9, so yeah, Thread 10 was techinically the first thread to go by without a character reveal.

There couldn't be a bigger reveal than that.
1eK7wyk.gif

Dr. Buni

Not sure if you're kidding, but I have been appreciating how equal opportunity this game has been when it comes to this sort of thing.
I am not and I am appreciating that as well. I don't mind fanservice when it is for both "sides".
yet they still won't let me marry a dude in Tomodachi Life :/

Nintendo's all about sex appeal these days
/s
The next Tomodachi Life and Fire Emblem games will allow gay/lesbian relationships. Believe!

Ahnez

If this thread moves as fast as the last one and the next reveal is just in the august direct, theres a chance to Thread 11 dont see a character reveal too :p

VegiHam

I am not and I am appreciating that as well. I don't mind fanservice when it is for both "sides".
It's kinda nice, most games do not give me men like Little Mac. But it's actually just a smaller aspect of my appreciation for the brilliant character design in general.
I like me a man who's flexible

i0kNJDmfgsuxv.jpg
Oh my. That's hilarious. Still though, Ike exists so the game gets my approval.

If this thread moves as fast as the last one and the next reveal is just in the august direct, theres a chance to Thread 11 dont see a character reveal too :p

At least OT10 sort of had a character reveal: the Robin trailer happened so close to the end of OT9 that most of the discussion happened in 10. There's no way this thread will go that fast without another reveal
...right???

The next Tomodachi Life and Fire Emblem games will allow gay/lesbian relationships. Believe!

(male)RobinxHenry pls

So if the intent of the thread title was Gametsu, I got schooled.

I thought it was referring to all the people who were saying it was 90% probable that Shulk was getting revealed on the Lucina / Robin / Falcon reveal day.

I guess its a good title though, since it could be referring to both!

Neiteio

Im guessing the thread title is a reference to something......anyone care to share?
Sure.

First, we had a leak on Gematsu, right before E3 2013, which listed six newcomers: Wii Fit Trainer, Villager, Mega Man, Pac-Man, Mii and Little Mac. All of those came true, of course, and half of them were at E3. The sheer odds of correctly "guessing" Wii Fit Trainer, in a group of six, when literally no one else on the Internet ever guessed her, is INSANE. Add in Villager, who Sakurai had previously ruled out during a Brawl interview, and Mega Man, who appeared to be a dead franchise to Capcom... And well, it's quite remarkable.

Fast-forward to April, a second rumor appears, right before the Smash Direct revealing Greninja. Gematsu claims the second rumor is from the same source. This rumor lists "Pokemon from X/Y," which turned out to be Greninja. Why the generic name? We now know from Sakurai's roundtable at E3 2014 that a Pokemon slot was reserved at the start of the roster, before Greninja himself was finalized. It stands to reason that the leaker (or the leaker's source) saw the roster at that point and thus could only say "Pokemon from X/Y."

The second leak also had Palutena, which also turned out correct, and in a third leak, right before E3 2014, the exact name "Mii Fighters."

However, the second and third leaks also listed Chrom, and none of the leaks mentioned Robin, Lucina or Rosalina & Luma. R&L was between leaks, and could simply be explained by no leak being complete. Robin could be explained likewise. As for Chrom, I think Chrom might've been planned at the earliest stages but then turned into Lucina. A leaker doesn't necessarily have access to the entire game, every day. Depending on when they saw the game, and at what level, they'd take away different conclusions.

Some people, however, insist that getting Chrom wrong means the entire leak is a fake. That's preposterous. To say getting something "90% right means it's 100% wrong" ignores the statistical odds of correctly "guessing" Wii Fit Trainer and Mii Fighters (right down to the name), among other things.

At any rate, the leaks also included Shulk and Chorus Kids. An interesting note: The Sneaky Spirit, from Rhythm Heaven, has appeared in Smash Run since then, suggesting a Rhythm Heaven character, since the enemies in Smash Run come from series represented by playable characters (even the Subspace Emissary characters, technically, since they share the Smash logo with the Mii Fighters).

Another point of interest: A month before the Robin/Lucina/Falcon trailer, a poster on GameFAQs said the Gematsu leaker is correct, but that the Gematsu leaker got two details incorrect. The poster said Lucina is in the game, not Chrom (which turned out to be correct), and also that Marshal is in the game, not Chorus Kids. The poster speculated that the Gematsu leaker might've done a poor job identifying those particular characters, getting them mixed up.

It'll be interesting to see how the full roster shapes up. At any rate, even the most recent leaks from Gematsu didn't say they're the "be all, end all" of the roster, although with Sakurai's comments that he's nearing the bottom of the barrel for newcomer videos, I wouldn't hold my breath for much beyond Shulk and an RH character.

mrhej

At least OT10 sort of had a character reveal: the Robin trailer happened so close to the end of OT9 that most of the discussion happened in 10. There's no way this thread will go that fast without another reveal
...right???

(male)RobinxHenry pls

Nintendo said there would be surprises for the Smash tournament at SDCC but it's probably nothing.

georly

Nintendo said there would be surprises for the Smash tournament at SDCC but it's probably nothing.

Surprise, we released a bunch of new screenshots!

http://minus.com/mbeVe1RrIxpQcA
http://minus.com/mbmH3a8Z01EoF4

More like, "Surprise, celebrities already attending comiccon will be at the tournament!"

BtVYhwFIAAAxrjb.jpg

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/492397071191007233
A proud @sethgreen cheers on the lovely @claregrant who's getting a sneak peak of #SmashBros for #3DS #tvgmyacht

Yeah, I doubt they'll reveal anything as big as a character at SDCC. They could get a lot more Smash fans watching by just announcing an upcoming character reveal trailer like they did for Robin. That said, it's getting down to the wire, so I'm sure we'll get another character sometime during the life of this thread.

Azure J

Jesus guys, nothing happened. How is this thread already packing 200+ posts? @_@

I like the look of this, especially the location of Random and Mii Fighters:

Takamuru? Marshal under a Chorus Kids group shot? :p

Alright punks, new thread, new thing to argue about: Should Red shells come back?

Yes. That's how I learned to Smash DI after all. Also, shout outs to red shell reflector glitching. 64%+ damage on one hit? And they home in on things on one platform?

Poor Chrom didn't realize that he isn't Path of Radiance Lord Ike and can't solo like that.

Can someone explain my the thread reference please?

It's a reference to how the Gematsu Leaker was getting called wholly wrong despite getting the large majority of reveals up until this point correct. All the Robin/Lucina swerve did was show that there was more to this game than his information was pertinent to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom