• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS & Wii U Thread XIII: Leak Dynasty

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blizzard

Banned
I had a realization. Sakurai's final destination mode for levels will put all fighters...

...ON AN EVEN PLAYING FIELD.

Because, get it, there are no platforms or curves. It was probably funnier in my head.

Vuapol

Why is everyone assuming Metaknight is gonna be low tier? It's not like I have any opinion about it, just wondering.

Everybody
me aside
seems to WANT Meta Knight to be low tier, most likely as penance for his Ultra SS Tier in Brawl. I don't think many seriously expect MK to be a low tier character.

Nintendo really wants to push Amiibo. What could be better way of making money than forcing people to buy some of their old favorites?

weird that they use such unpopular characters for that.
i mean for the west who even knows/cares about Lucas, Ice Climbers, Chorus Men, Wolf

nono don't reply that you love these characters, i mean for the greater public.

Makai

Why is everyone assuming Metaknight is gonna be low tier? It's not like I have any opinion about it, just wondering.
He's definitely going to be knocked down a peg based on his Shuttle Loop alone. Low tier is a stretch, though. From the demos, we can expect Meta Knight to be better than Link, Zelda, and Little Mac at least.

Jawmuncher

Top:
1.Snake
2.Palutena
3.Little Mac
4.Ike
5.Lucina

Bottom:
1.Link
2.Marth
3.Ness
4.Toon Link
5.Dark Pit

Don't take offense i'm just throwing all my friends characters on bottom tier.

I had a realization. Sakurai's final destination mode for levels will put all fighters...

Because, get it, there are no platforms or curves. It was probably funnier in my head.
clapforattempt.gif

Vuapol

...You and I are going to get along just fine.

georly

Fighting game DLC pricing is tricky... because you present to the consumer that a game with a roster of 30-40-50 characters is worth $50-$60... so how do you price a DLC character?

For the sake of argument, say the game has 50 characters, it's worth 50 bucks, and then will have 5 more DLC characters.

Is each character worth 1 dollar? Because for 50 dollars you get a game with 50 characters.

Is each character worth LESS than 1 dollar? Do you charge for the 'container,' the fighting engine/stage itself? If the GAME with no characters is worth 10 dollars, for example, is each character worth 80 cents?

So what about the DLC characters? Are they somehow worth MORE than an existing character, or are they worth the same? Do you charge 1 dollar each? At what point is it TOO much money? Is 5 each too much?

How do you present to the consumer that a DLC character is worth it when the game already has SO MANY.

Bottom:
1. Sonic
2. PacMan
3. MegaMan

4. Fox
5. MetaKnight

PacManWiiUscreen-1.jpg

I refuse to believe you! :V

Everybody
me aside
seems to WANT Meta Knight to be low tier, most likely as penance for his Ultra SS Tier in Brawl. I don't think many seriously expect MK to be a low tier character.

i dont actually think metaknight will be low tier despite what i said on my list but i would like for him to get some nerfs from his opness in brawl lol

also the marth hate is realllll

Fireblend

Banned
Everybody
me aside

Ah, I see. My bad then, carry on
KuGsj.gif

In that case:

Top:
1. Lucas
2. Robin
3. Zero Suit Samus
4. Megaman
5. Rosalina

Bottom:
1. Sonic
2. Dr. Mario
3. Shiek
4. Palutena
5. Fox

Have we yet considered that the icons no longer have the names in them because the game drops them once you start to unlock more characters? Like, in order to accommodate for space.

Azure J

Some people deserve to be knocked down a peg. They've had their time in the spotlight.

Uh, no. That's not how it works and I'm pretty strongly against ruining characters and their fighting design because we have other "faces" to push.

Building everyone else up so they are just as effective in their own niche as "the character's in the spotlight" are in theirs is the way to go when designing a roster for Smash or any other fighter. I truly fear for the day when fighting games are made and the key to how shit or godlike a character might be is determined by their current popularity.

And I'm an ex-Marvel 3 player. :lol :lol :lol

vikki

Fighting game DLC pricing is tricky... because you present to the consumer that a game with a roster of 30-40-50 characters is worth $50-$60... so how do you price a DLC character?

For the sake of argument, say the game has 50 characters, it's worth 50 bucks, and then will have 5 more DLC characters.

Is each character worth 1 dollar? Because for 50 dollars you get a game with 50 characters.

Is each character worth LESS than 1 dollar? Do you charge for the 'container,' the fighting engine/stage itself? If the GAME with no characters is worth 10 dollars, for example, is each character worth 80 cents?

So what about the DLC characters? Are they somehow worth MORE than an existing character, or are they worth the same? Do you charge 1 dollar each? At what point is it TOO much money? Is 5 each too much?

How do you present to the consumer that a DLC character is worth it when the game already has SO MANY.

Sell it as a bundle, not just one character.

georly

Uh, no. That's not how it works and I'm pretty strongly against ruining characters and their fighting design because we have other "faces" to push.

Building everyone else up so they are just as effective in their own niche as "the character's in the spotlight" are in theirs is the way to go when designing a roster for Smash or any other fighter. I truly fear for the day when fighting games are made and the key to how shit or godlike a character might be is determined by their current popularity.

And I'm an ex-Marvel 3 player. :lol :lol :lol

I didn't say that's how it works, or that's how it SHOULD work :p

It's just my schadenfreude!

Sell it as a bundle, not just one character.

That's one solution, but they still end up being 'more expensive' than the characters on disk. 2-3 for 5 bucks is kinda reasonable though.

I'm also a sucker and will almost assuredly buy any and all DLC they publish, as long as they don't get to be ubisoft/EA dumb levels of DLC. Especially not in-app purchases level of DLC. (99cents for 1000 coins!)

Have we yet considered that the icons no longer have the names in them because the game drops them once you start to unlock more characters? Like, in order to accommodate for space.

this is the only thing about the leak that bugs me while i can see sakurai dropping the names as more characters are unlocked i feel like hes not the type of person to do that :/ but thats just me lol

Zero173

Because of Nintendo's recent DLC practices (namely Fire Emblem Awakening, Pikmin 3, New Super Mario Bros. U, & the Mario Golf game on 3DS).

Nintendo really wants to push Amiibo. What could be better way of making money than forcing people to buy some of their old favorites?

I see. Fair point. I just remember Sakurai talking about game patches after release and saying he didn't want players playing different versions of the game because they may run into problems.

But I guess Nintendo can go whatever direction they want with the DLC.

(Oh, that's just from memory, sorry I don't have the source).

Guesong

I still think these leaks are real. They'd have been disproven by now if they weren't.

By what? A pic of the day? We only get one of these per day, and it's only been two days!

Like the Gematsu leak, the only thing that can confirm or disconfirm/hinder it is reveals.

J@hranimo

Banned

That, and his idea f character balance is to make them particularly strong in one or two places.

X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member
Pre order from game stop and get the exclusive fighter, Snake
Best buy has Lucas
Target for wolf
Amazon has Ice Climbers
E-Shop gives you them all, plus a bonus new comer, Chorus Boys

oh god. please no

I see absolutely no one buying the retali version then.

1. Mario
2. Sonic
3. Mega Man
4. Pac-Man
5. Ness

Bottom

1. Dr. Mario (if in)
2. Dark Pit (if in)
3. Mii Swordfighter
4. Lucina
5. Snake (if in)

huehuehue

Ahnez

If a new character is revealed and the render is completely different from the leaked one, people will still say its true

If a new character is revealed and the render is the same one from the leak, people will still say its fake

Its part of the cycle already

lol

SmithnCo

If a new character is revealed and the render is completely different from the leaked one, people will still say its true

If a new character is revealed and the render is the same one from the leak, people will still say its fake

lol

If the render is the same I will 100% believe it's true.

Vuapol

lol

And if Ridley is revealed...well...we don't talk about what would happen upon Ridley's reveal.

Crocodile

The issue is that you can't sell DLC characters at a price of MSRP of game / X characters in base game - Even if the DLC was free, not everyone would download the DLC. You have to find the price that maximizes your profit knowing full well that at no matter the price not everybody who has the game will download the DLC. I think I remember reading that DLC adoption tends to be around 40% or something which is why DLC characters in fighting games tend to be a bit expensive (though ASW tends to take it to the extreme :p).

A bundle is probably the most cost-effective way to deliver characters to the consumer but then you have to wait till all those characters are done - the companies still have to make money in the mean time and depending on the cost of characters and what not, the company may not want/be able to provide the discount.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom