• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U POTD Thread 17: Smash 3DS Discussion @ OT PLS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
GameExplain dudes, please upload the Trees In the Depths of the Earth remix Great Cave Offensive uses, okay?

I am a little confused from what viewpoint people are viewing the stages as legit/not from. If they're viewing them from a competitive Smash standpoint most of the stages viewed as legit aren't gonna be played often/at all.

If they're viewing them from a general viewpoint then never mind.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
That transition in Orbital Gate looks pretty brutal, but the stage seems appropriately hectic for Star Fox.

Holy shit at the camera on Great Cave Offensive, lol.

it should've been
electrodrome
but they did a really good job with mario circuit

all of f-zero's courses but the 3DS one have been antigrav tracks, so why aren't they that clever, huh? HUH?

is that a porky trophy

what songs were playing on the onett stage

give me the goods gamexplain

edit: WAIT THE VIDEO SAYS THE ONETT THEME AGHGHGHEGHHUEGEWEGEYEYeE EHFHFHFHFHHFHFHFHFHF

Alright I'll take it back, Wrecking Crew looks to better than I thought. Orbital Gate looks epic as hell, and a pretty decent scrolling stage, and Mario Kart 8 is just about what I expected (Smash U's equivalent to Smash 3DS' Rainbow Road track). Kalos looks to be a mix of Spear Pillar and Pokemon Stadium 2, which sucks because they're already bringing back PS2, and Wooly World is fine outside the walk off and the falling main platform (and even that, that's not completely awful)

Also, I'm calling Nintendo out for making a Wooly World and MK8 stage yet not giving DK a Tropical Freeze world. They better give me some David Wise tracks at least.

Watch Da Birdie

Only walk-off stage I've disliked is Mario Bros., and that's because of those fucking shell-creepers. Mushroomy Kingdom is a bit dumb, but not horrible.

Onett, Mushroom Kingdom 1 and 2, Mario Circuit, Bridge of Eldin, Castle Siege 2/3, Green Hill Zone, Balloon Fight, Gerudo Valley, and Boxing Ring are all good stages imo, from a sense that none of them feel overly intrusive.

Also, I'm calling Nintendo out for making a Wooly World and MK8 stage yet not giving DK a Tropical Freeze world. They better give me some David Wise tracks at least.

I think Tropical Freeze might be a secret level, although then again we already have an unlockable DK Stage in Congo Jungle so Arcade DK, original DKC, and DKCRs are all represented.

There's a Frederick the Great Trophy seen in the Direct, so there is Tropical Freeze elements in the game...

Kangi

is that a porky trophy

what songs were playing on the onett stage

give me the goods gamexplain

edit: WAIT THE VIDEO SAYS THE ONETT THEME AGHGHGHEGHHUEGEWEGEYEYeE EHFHFHFHFHHFHFHFHFHF

But does this mean the actual Onett theme or the Onett theme used in previous Smash Bros. which is actually just MOTHER 1 music?

But does this mean the actual Onett theme or the Onett theme used in previous Smash Bros. which is actually just MOTHER 1 music?

The Melee Mother songs were just named after the games instead of the stages, although I don't know if that's the case for the JP version.

don't let me down sakurai

Watch Da Birdie

is that a porky trophy

UJLeZZs.gif

Nope...I'm pretty sure that IS EGGPLANT MAN!

Particularly it's based off the Wrecking Crew 98 version. You can see the white rim. Guess he does appear in Wrecking Crew!

Kangi

The Melee Mother songs were just named after the games instead of the stages, although I don't know if that's the case for the JP version.

don't let me down sakurai

If we go one more Smash Bros. with Onett as a stage and still don't get the actual Onett theme I am going to riot.

Golnei

I think Tropical Freeze might be a secret level, although then again we already have an unlockable DK Stage in Congo Jungle so Arcade DK, original DKC, and DKCRs are all represented.

There's a Frederick the Great Trophy seen in the Direct, so there is Tropical Freeze elements in the game...

I'd love for something from Tropical Freeze to be the basis of a stage, but I'll likely be disappointed in that regard. Though Kongo Jungle's return and a DKCR stage was already more than I was expecting.

But with the Ice Climbers buried for the next six years, we do desperately need some more snow stages. Cliffside Slide, Frosty Fruits or Aqueduct Assault would fill the void nicely.

Watch Da Birdie

Nah, it's pretty clearly Porky's Brawl model.

Hmm, are you sure?

You know, I remember all the Bosses from Brawl have data in the 3DS Version, some thought it was placeholders.

But if we have a Boss Mode like the announcer data suggests, I wonder if it'll re-use all the SSE Bosses? We have the Ridley Icon seen, Rayquaza's model in a stage, and now Porky. Wouldn't be surprised if we fight all them again as well as Petey and Duon.

Golnei

Hmm, are you sure?

You know, I remember all the Bosses from Brawl have data in the 3DS Version, some thought it was placeholders.

But if we have a Boss Mode like the announcer data suggests, I wonder if it'll re-use all the SSE Bosses? We have the Ridley Icon seen, Rayquaza's model in a stage, and now Porky. Wouldn't be surprised if we fight all them again as well as Petey and Duon.

They weren't placeholders so much as leftovers from Brawl, seeing as it was the basis of SSB4. Which is why the alloys and cut fighters appeared alongside the SSE bosses.

Though if we do get a boss mode, it'd make sense for them to at least use Porky, Rayquaza and Petey Piranha, seeing as much of the work's already done.

Watch Da Birdie

So it seems Ridley will switch sides without being KO'd? I noticed he switches from P2 to P1 during the fight. I guess that makes the hazard a bit more "fair"?

So MOTHER 3 isn't completely dead to Nintendo. Even though it was a handheld game and the handheld Smash with the handheld trophies ignored it entirely.

Porky isn't a Mother character, he's a Smash original character, like Lucas.

Ryce

Wuhu Island looks great, but it's so aesthetically similar to Pilotwings that its inclusion confounds me. It reminds me of Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3's "rearranged" stages.

I can't tell if the crumbling landmass for no real reason in Jungle Hijinx is a loving nod to the crumbly nature of DKCR's level design or just another element that will make the stage more of a hassle to play on, got to say I'm kind of underwhelmed by the stage, well at least its not a vague jungle this time, it's distinctly DKCR.

Hmm, the stages do seem to be a better batch than the 3DS at least but the underlying problem of intrusive stage hazards and scatter shot platforms in parts looks to remain.

I can't tell if the crumbling landmass for no real reason in Jungle Hijinx is a loving nod to the crumbly nature of DKCR's level design or just another element that will make the stage more of a hassle to play on, got to say I'm kind of underwhelmed by the stage, well at least its not a vague jungle this time, it's distinctly DKCR.
At least we don't have to worry about the music if it continues the trend of awful DK stages since we have the omega version.

So i made the mistake of going to gmefaqs message board and there is still people claiming this game isnt 1080p. It hurt my brain a little.

Moonlight

Banned
I think I get the design decision behind the crumbling platforms? Seems like it's a way to encourage people to move from one plane to another. Not sure how well it'll work in practice, but it seemed like that was the intention.

Wooly World probably had a shot at being legal/counterpick if the time you spent on the flat ground wasn't as long. The crazy part about that stage though is that without the ground, it really has one of the best new (post Melee) stage gimmicks in the Super Mario Bros. 1 style balancing platforms made of the clouds and toys hanging off the rope.

Orbital Gate looks straight up good even with the multiple segments. There's a lot of maneuverability there and the sections are interesting (I love the triple Arwing segment so much).

Mario Circuit is probably going to make it to being legit. No walk offs (or one depending on what that last segment was and even that was only present for a second or two), great dynamics (seriously the floor-as-ceiling and floor-as-wall ideas are so simple but so fun) and nothing glaringly bad to deal with versus other "they're racing towards you from the background" stages.

Jungle Hijinxs looks like it might make it but for bigger groups of fighters. 1-on-1 it might get a bit too easy to stall.

KALOS PLS. You were the best looking Pokemon stage EVER.
I really am in love with the whole idea of those platforms tilting one way or the other depending on the weight distribution. Just wish it didn't spend so much time on the ground, argh. I'd even be able to deal with the walk-offs if you spent more time in the air than you seem to.

I think my favourite part of the karts in the Mario Circuit stage is how it takes a familair concept (that is, things racing towards you that you must dodge) and honestly and legitimately makes it new and interesting again. Making them things you need to duck under and having them race against the side of the stage is such a brilliant idea of extending the mechanic and flipping it on its' head. I thought I was over these types of stages until now.

Jungle Hijinks looks pretty good, but apparently you can hit those Screaming Pillars with the barrel? Not sure how it works. Stalling seems like a big concern, though, yeah. Even if there's that window where you can't launch yourself back, seems like it'd be fairly easy to wait it out and jump back in anyways. It might have a place in the Smash 4 exclusive Triples bracket, though.
oh god

Kalos still looks great, to be fair to it. It's just never going getting a mile near a competitive/more serious setting. :lol

But for real, MaverickHunterAsh, please tell me if you can tell me whether or not Rayquaza is a boss/hazard!
So, did someone already post the Opening Cinematic? Cause here it is.
I'm just gonna wait till there's a YouTube version because fuuuuuuuuck IGN's video player.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom