• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U POTD Thread 17: Smash 3DS Discussion @ OT PLS

Status
Not open for further replies.
B0v7rBkIAAA_NvW.jpg

https://twitter.com/N8theGr8M8/status/525790499333234688

Neiteio

I can't tell if the crumbling landmass for no real reason in Jungle Hijinx is a loving nod to the crumbly nature of DKCR's level design or just another element that will make the stage more of a hassle to play on, got to say I'm kind of underwhelmed by the stage, well at least its not a vague jungle this time, it's distinctly DKCR.

Hmm, the stages do seem to be a better batch than the 3DS at least but the underlying problem of intrusive stage hazards and scatter shot platforms in parts looks to remain.
I recommend listening to GameXplain's hands-on impressions -- Andre loved the Jungle Hijinx stage. He also says the danger zones in Great Cave Offensive make that stage a ton of fun since you don't have people lasting forever toward the interior of the level like you would in Temple. Great impressions all-around. :)

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Jungle HiJinx is very plain...I would've loved to see DK's Treehouse in the background, and the Tiki flying on their airship.

Atleast we have a nice stage to listen to all of the neat DK music for once.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
So pretty (and I love Wuhu Island as a location), but it basically makes Pilotwings useless as a stage.
Different play styles. Pilotwings is on the planes the whole time. It also pays tribute to a great SNES game, which is undoubtedly super important because the SNES is awesome.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
The thing about these hazard-heavy stages is that there's nothing inherently anticompetitive about them. Take Kalos here, there's a lot of bellyaching but what about? The hazards are well telegraphed and easily avoidable. They require skill to turn them to your advantage. Items are a problem due to randomness favoring certain players, but hazards are quite the opposite. Hell even Ridley here, he's slowly going to specific places and using specific moves. People should really be able to handle this if they want to call themselves good at the game, there's more to Smash Bros than just comboing a guy off an edge.

Oh hey, Ridleys theme actually being used on the Ridley themed level

Never thought I'd see the day after brawl stuck it on Orpheon lol.

Also both metroid levels are Ridley related :O
Year of the Ridley confirmed

Golnei

Oh hey, Ridleys theme actually being used on the Ridley themed level

Never thought I'd see the day after brawl stuck it on Orpheon lol.

Also both metroid if levels are Ridley related :O
Year of the Ridley confirmed

Ridley showed up on Frigate Orpheon during Prime's opening, though; complete with music.

Exterior_Docking_Hangar_escape_Meta_Ridley_Dolphin_HD.jpg

Though I don't understand why they didn't just have the Meta Ridley theme on Orpheon and the Brawl arrangement on Norfair...

ec0ec0

Mario Circuit stage and Orbital Gate stage look like great not so crazy stages that respect the basic concept of what smash is about (floating platforms). We will have to see how the blast zones are on those. Those seemed decent.

On the other hand, i saw many stages where smash doesnt "work" for me.

I'm late to this point but I'm only now realizing Frigate Orpheon lost out to Norfair, that's No (r) fair!
Prime loses again, plus glorious new stage potential lost, I feel that way for quite a few series here.

It's like there's an abundance of green grass and blue skies in this selection, I think that they could've mixed things up more visually across all these series, even Mario Galaxy still stuck with a grassy planetoid.

At least we don't have to worry about the music if it continues the trend of awful DK stages since we have the omega version.
I hope they throw Brawl's Bramble Blast and K.Rool themes on Kongo Jungle and fill this new stage with the new remixes only.

Jungle HiJinx is very plain...I would've loved to see DK's Treehouse in the background, and the Tiki flying on their airship.

Atleast we have a nice stage to listen to all of the neat DK music for once.
There could be more visual elements that have yet to be seen in the few screens and short footage but hey at least they put in the shrieking totems.
Going to get more nitpicky here, it bugs me that the treetop/bush like platforms are just floating in mid air attached to nothing, one of the fine details in Retro's DKC games are how the platforms always find a way to fit the environment without just floating in place, a tree trunk or stem would go a long way to making it look less jarring.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
3DS music is included in the WiiU version, so there's gonna be the Paper Mario Medley.
The medley sound a bit rubbish without the stage. It's timed with the transformations so the three tunes don't flow into each other well enough to be used on another stage. It isn't like say the Rainbow Road medley.

I think we could all be in favor of just having the Rougeport remix from that medley.

Although, considering we heard the medley pop up during this direct I'm sure its in the Wii U version somewhere.

Berordn

The medley sound a bit rubbish without the stage. It's timed with the transformations so the three tunes don't flow into each other well enough to be used on another stage. It isn't like say the Rainbow Road medley.

Thankfully the three tracks are individual streams so they could always include them as individual tracks on the Wii U version.

Golnei

It's like there's an abundance of green grass and blue skies in this selection, I think that they could've mixed things up more visually across all these series, even Mario Galaxy still stuck with a grassy planetoid.

I kind of agree. While the MK8, DKCR and Galaxy stages all look great, it feels like they're not living up to the full potential of the games they're based on. Especially when taken in aggregate, it leads to a loss of visual diversity - one of the reasons I was really happy the 3DS version used Rainbow Road, Rogueport and Bowser's Castle.

I'm late to this point but I'm only now realizing Frigate Orpheon lost out to Norfair, that's No (r) fair!
Prime loses again, plus glorious new stage potential lost, I feel that way for quite a few series here.

If they have to make the choice, it's understandable that they'd go for the stage based on an actual Metroid game.

Thankfully the three tracks are individual streams so they could always include them as individual tracks on the Wii U version.

The same goes for the 3D Land / Beach theme. Even if they do include them as medleys, hopefully they'll actually rearrange them to flow into each other properly rather than going with arbitrary transitions.

Jesus guys y'all gotta get over the walk offs. They can be plenty fun, you're treating them like gaming's greatest sin or some nonsense.
I don't get it either. If someone is camping at an edge, go and attack them.

Its been awhile since I played the previous Smash's so I won't comment on them, but the 3DS stages that have walkoffs are always still fun to me. The only ones I don't like are the scrolling stages like SM3DL tho I like Kirby's Dream Land but I guess its because the scrolling is slow and theres not much of it.

So my thoughts on some of the footage:

Kalos League: I don't mind hanzards and saw the flood. Looks very interesting.

Wrecking Crew: Looks like fun. I usually prefer 8Bit graphics for these stages but this works too.

Woolly World: Looks simply amazing. Love the yarn graphics and love Yoshi series.

Star Fox Level: Now this looks really cool.

Lots of great stages up in this game.

THE REAL MEGATON IS THE THING BY SHULK'S ICON TELLING YOU WHAT MONADO ART YOU'RE ON :OOOOOO

EDIT: They think Lylat Cruise is a new stage. :lol

Can they please patch that for the 3DS version? You can get used to it, but it would REALLY help for those of us who don't understand japanese characters...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom