• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U POTD Thread 17: Smash 3DS Discussion @ OT PLS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vylash

hey guys what's going o-

ibvv7GLAXxHHhz.gif

Can't link since I'm on mobile but I just rewatched the PAC-MAN reveal trailer. At 0:58 there's a really weird stage we haven't seen yet. It could be his stage but it's so different that I'm not sure.

I'll welcome every single bit of representation this genuinely Wonderful game receives.

My dream is for there to be an unlockable Wonderful stage where this and other such musical gems play, with beautiful chaos and pandemonium going on in the background, while the Smashers have their own issues to take care of. Maybe one such stage is unlocked if you collect all of the Wonderful trophies? I want to believe!...

That would be fucking amazing (pardon my French). Imagine a mechanic like Ridley/Flying man where a single Wonderful one appears, and touching them makes them summon the rest of the team for an Unite Attack.

That would be fucking amazing (pardon my French). Imagine a mechanic like Ridley/Flying man where a single Wonderful one appears, and touching them makes them summon the rest of the team for an Unite Attack.

Why not take that mechanic to it's logical conclusion and have citizens that appear on the map you can collect, turning them into a Wonderful One and when you get x-many you get a unite attack? You could even have hitting someone knock some of their Wonderful ones off into a citizen state again so you can steal them :p

Dr. Buni

as someone who wanted ridley the most after mega man was announced how are we still discussing his 'chances' after everything we know
Yeah. The dream is dead to me. Sure, they could throw us a curveball and make Super Metroid/Zero Mission Ridley a playable character, but I am truly not expecting that.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I just thought I'd drop by to say, Pokemon Stadium 2 > Pokemon Stadium.

That's right.

I don't understand.

You know, one of the first things I am probably going to do is use the nifty looking stage builder and try to recreate some stages as accurately as possible. Extremely limited options on blast zones will prevent them from being entirely true to the originals, but accurate platforms should be doable. Planning to do Dreamland 64, PM Stadium 2, and probably Yoshi's Story. Doubt it will let you add a platform that will clip through others so a Randall clone might not be possible.

Some of the other PM stages might be worth playing around with too. Rumble Falls, Norfair, Green Hill Zone.

I don't understand.

You know, one of the first things I am probably going to do is use the nifty looking stage builder and try to recreate some stages as accurately as possible. Extremely limited options on blast zones will prevent them from being entirely true to the originals, but accurate platforms should be doable. Planning to do Dreamland 64, PM Stadium 2, and probably Yoshi's Story. Doubt it will let you add a platform that will clip through others so a Randall clone might not be possible.

Some of the other PM stages might be worth playing around with too. Rumble Falls, Norfair, Green Hill Zone.

Limited blast zone options? Could you elaborate? Thanks.

Azure J

I was thinking this too. It makes too much sense.

BRING BACK SECTOR Z SAKURAI

If they bring back Sector Z, they have to bring back the arwings that fire the OD powerful lasers. One of my favorite things to play in Smash 64 was a game of chicken where 2 people would reflect the lasers until they shattered both reflectors and the last person who reflected them fucked up the person before with lasers that did well over 150% damage. You could also always cancel but then you'd risk gettin bopped with a slightly less powerful blast. :lol

NeonZ

Huh... I just noticed that Lucina's in game stance in Awakening actually only had one hand, like Marth's, and differently from Chrom's and the one used for Lucina herself in official artwork too.

Lucina and Marth in Fire Emblem Awakening
Lucina_lord_01_zps934b3d5d.jpeg
DLC_Marth_sc_02_zps7fdece79.jpg

Lucina's and Marth's counter animations in Smash Bros 3ds
HNI_0027_zpscf1a2e1a.jpg
HNI_0026_zps07a24793.jpg

Lucina's in-game pose in Awakening is clearly meant to be the same one that Marth has in Smash Bros too. It's kind of funny that one of the few new animations that she got in Smash didn't actually need to be there at all.

Revven

Limited blast zone options? Could you elaborate? Thanks.

He's assuming that you can't move where the blast zones are in the stage builder, the blast zones (like in Brawl) would be only affected by the size of the stage you choose (Small, Medium, or Large). We haven't heard if you can move the blast zones yet but it's a fair assumption to make based on what we know and how the stage builder worked in Brawl with respect to blast zones.

And ultimately how it worked in Brawl was very limited. You couldn't get a stage to have blast zones as close to the stage as Warioware, for example.

Anyone know how many tilesets we get in Stage Builder? Like different textures?

Thank you for that. The only part of an anime that made me cry.

Better artists now than back then. That and Sugimori's art style refined over time too.

Ridley would like a word with you.

I wonder what part of Great Cave Offensive they'll use for the Omega Version?

I think making it look like this part:

uWMK8Zwl.png

With the castle in the background would be the best.

Also, I didn't see that hole that Yoshi's falling down in the Rules POTD?

That would be a great stage!

Jesus guys y'all gotta get over the walk offs. They can be plenty fun, you're treating them like gaming's greatest sin or some nonsense.

They make competitive fights utterly unenjoyable.

For some reason, Youtube videos uploaded within the past 48 hours are not working on Chrome. If somebody knew what the problem is, help would be greatly appreciated.

Open up Opera for a minute?

Revven

Anyone know how many tilesets we get in Stage Builder? Like different textures?

Five themes, I'm assuming most of the textures will be based on those themes much like Brawl's stage builder. Other than that, there's been no mention of how many textures we get access to.

The hope would be that maybe they will continue to update the stage builder in the future, too via patches. Maybe that's an avenue to get them to implement allowing you to move the blast zones specifically...

Pompadour

Things change in time, and Sakurai does change his mind quite a bit. He doesn't need to do anything, but he does enjoy making his fans/ people happy.

The Smash fanbase grows as time moves on, and it seems the fan demand for Ridley & a better Ganondorf has been increasing with each installment. You also have to take in potential LoZ and Metroid games in the future.

The only way I see Ganondorf getting his own moveset is if a new F-Zero comes out and Sakurai feels he can move that moveset to someone like Black Shadow. So needless to say, the chances are slim. I figure Ganondorf will just have his moveset slowly changed little by little with each installment. He'll probably turn his front smash into a sword attack or something in SSB6.

I really wish he would "Luigify" the clones and make a hard rule that no clone can have a moveset is 50% or higher copied from the original (even if the properties are tweaked). Toon Link should have at least two different special moves considering how there's hundreds of items in the Zelda series to pull from. Of course, according to Sakurai he thinks there's only three clones in SSB4 to begin with (Dr. Mario, Lucina, and Dark Pit) so improvements on the less egregious clones don't seem likely.

I wouldn't be surprised if Ganondorf starts using some of his Smash moves in the Zelda series. It's grown on him as a character and I think a lot of people not completely obsessed with Zelda see Ganondorf as a magical brawler type. And I am obsessed with the Zelda series and I still think of Smash Ganondorf for how Ganondorf fights.

In fact I was legitimately surprised he couldn't do some kind of Warlock Punch in Hyrule Warriors. I actually want to be able to Warlock Punch in Hyrule Warriors. I find it's actually pretty iconic and fits him to yell out and slam the face of someone.

I think his smashes could be adjusted to use some kind of orb attack and he'd be perfect and not even really a clone anymore. Also his Up Special still very much feels like a Captain Falcon thing, especially that pose he makes after doing it.

The only way I see Ganondorf getting his own moveset is if a new F-Zero comes out and Sakurai feels he can move that moveset to someone like Black Shadow. So needless to say, the chances are slim. I figure Ganondorf will just have his moveset slowly changed little by little with each installment. He'll probably turn his front smash into a sword attack or something in SSB6.

I really wish he would "Luigify" the clones and make a hard rule that no clone can have a moveset is 50% or higher copied from the original (even if the properties are tweaked). Toon Link should have at least two different special moves considering how there's hundreds of items in the Zelda series to pull from. Of course, according to Sakurai he thinks there's only three clones in SSB4 to begin with (Dr. Mario, Lucina, and Dark Pit) so improvements on the less egregious clones don't seem likely.

I wished from the get-go that some of Ganon's moves were pulled instead from Samus, specifically B and >B could be his two projectiles from Ocarina of Time, modelled after Samus's B and >B.

Man, I really hate that Alph takes up half of Olimar's costumes.

Olimar is still the face of the series, as seen here, and should get eight alternate colors at the very least. Alph is my biggest problem with the new Smash games, but I would feel a lot better if at least Olimar got some more colors.

Forkball

We need a Ganon character. I'll take OoT Ganon or LttP Ganon. That way you can keep Clonondorf, yet still have someone with the character's signature moves from the games. It's pretty crazy that we haven't had a new Zelda character since Melee. No, Toon Link doesn't count.

Olimar is still the face of the series, as seen here, and should get eight alternate colors at the very least. Alph is my biggest problem with the new Smash games, but I would feel a lot better if at least Olimar got some more colors.

You must be pretty fucking stoked then, because that's a BS problem.

We need a Ganon character. I'll take OoT Ganon or LttP Ganon. That way you can keep Clonondorf, yet still have someone with the character's signature moves from the games. It's pretty crazy that we haven't had a new Zelda character since Melee. No, Toon Link doesn't count.

I love Zelda, don't get me wrong, but according to sales numbers and my own mathematical algorithm for Smash worthiness, Zelda has had one more character than it deserves since Melee. (I would prefer Vaati, personally)

Maybe I just use those numbers to dry my salt...

EDIT: I need to update that sheet to include Mewtwo...

You must be pretty fucking stoked then, because that's a BS problem.

I am pretty fucking stoked. Really nothing I'm disappointed about any more.

But for me, the Alph thing is a big problem. Bowser Jr. was designed with Koopaling alts in mind, but Olimar was a vet who lost two colors to share the rest of his with a character who has only been in one game.

NeonZ

In fact I was legitimately surprised he couldn't do some kind of Warlock Punch in Hyrule Warriors. I actually want to be able to Warlock Punch in Hyrule Warriors. I find it's actually pretty iconic and fits him to yell out and slam the face of someone.

Ganondorf has an attack in Hyrule Warriors where he creates a sphere of energy and then punches it, blowing it up. The animation of the punch reminds me of the Brawl/3ds/WiiU Warlock Punch, although it doesn't match exactly.

I love Zelda, don't get me wrong, but according to sales numbers and my own mathematical algorithm for Smash worthiness, Zelda has had one more character than it deserves since Melee. (I would prefer Vaati, personally)
Maybe I just use those numbers to dry my salt...

EDIT: I need to update that sheet to include Mewtwo...

That's unfair since you're equating cheap clone character with actual unique ones. Also, really, Wii has four characters in this game, considering how the Mii Fighter turned out to be three distinct characters, even having separate Classic trophies.

The extra two Olimar palettes for Brawl were pretty boring, I'm not sure why you'd want more of that over Alph... At least you're not as bad as the poster who wanted the Koopalings to be cut to give Jr alt colours. :/

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
He's assuming that you can't move where the blast zones are in the stage builder, the blast zones (like in Brawl) would be only affected by the size of the stage you choose (Small, Medium, or Large). We haven't heard if you can move the blast zones yet but it's a fair assumption to make based on what we know and how the stage builder worked in Brawl with respect to blast zones.

And ultimately how it worked in Brawl was very limited. You couldn't get a stage to have blast zones as close to the stage as Warioware, for example.

It would be great if we could set them manually. I don't really understand why they can't just have an inner and outer limit and let you set the horizontal and vertical blastzones individually within those instead of having small, medium, and large sizes. Or at the bare minimum, let us set horizontal and vertical separately.

That's my only significant complaint about the stage builder based on what we've seen. There are some things that would be nice, like importing textures (obvious why it will never happen) or very precise control over mobile platforms (speed, timing, looks pretty basic so far).

I think it's a shame they didn't give him the Koopalings treatment and have all astronauts playable. I mean, why the heck not?

That'd be so cool....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom