• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U POTD Thread 17: Smash 3DS Discussion @ OT PLS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
They make competitive fights utterly unenjoyable.

I don't really see it.

I dunno, for me the ledge game is the least enjoyable part of Smash Bros, I just want the guy to recover already so I can get back to fighting him on the main stage.

There are far more non-walkoffs than walkoffs anyway, it's not like you don't have options there for tournaments. Tournaments usually limit to like five stages anyway so I say let the rest of the game be as different from that boring little subset as possible.

I wish we could drop the term "competitive" from these discussions BTW, I compete in earnest with my friends all the time, and it's not fun to have that play described as "not competitive." Maybe refer specifically to tournament rules rather than trying to monopolize the entire concept of competition.

zroid

Banned
I LOLed

B0qqhMxIgAE4zxp.png:large

dem calories

I don't really see it.

I dunno, for me the ledge game is the least enjoyable part of Smash Bros, I just want the guy to recover already so I can get back to fighting him on the main stage.

There are far more non-walkoffs than walkoffs anyway, it's not like you don't have options there for tournaments. Tournaments usually limit to like five stages anyway so I say let the rest of the game be as different from that boring little subset as possible.

I wish we could drop the term "competitive" from these discussions BTW, I compete in earnest with my friends all the time, and it's not fun to have that play described as "not competitive." Maybe refer specifically to tournament rules rather than trying to monopolize the entire concept of competition.

Thank you! I've said that before that the term competitive has not been used correctly. Everyone is competitive no matter what mode or style they use when playing.

Azure J

World Bowser is easily the best choice for a 3D World stage.

You wouldn't even need to pick a specific part, just set it up so you fight on the map with the gigantic city scape in the background. Power outages would go down every now and again and make it so you could only see your character's eyes and a defining piece of their attire/body DKCR silhouette stage style.

Bestest stage ever, especially around Christmas time.

ec0ec0

It would be difficult for me to have a smash dicussion with you because, the concept of fighting on a floating platform is, and will always be, the most basic and fundamental aspect of smash bros for me. I would go as far as saying that smash doesnt "work" (for me) without it. And i am aware that sakurai doesnt value that concept as much as i do (because in smash 4 theres a huge amount of mechanics that help you to come back to the stage no matter what :( )

JoeInky

I wonder if some of the design decisions I really don't like are due to the fact that the game also had to take 8-player into account for balance.

Would explain the ledge mechanics, low hitstun and all the improved defensive options.

Would make sense from a design perspective, although I'd still disagree with the decisions.

You wouldn't even need to pick a specific part, just set it up so you fight on the map with the gigantic city scape in the background. Power outages would go down every now and again and make it so you could only see your character's eyes and a defining piece of their attire/body DKCR silhouette stage style.

Bestest stage ever, especially around Christmas time.

Man, I would be all over this. Would really show off 3D World's beauty and FINALLY give Bowser his own stage.

Add in the World Bowser theme and some
Great Tower
tunes and I'm all set.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
It would be difficult for me to have a smash dicussion with you because, the concept of fighting on a floating platform is, and will always be, the most basic and fundamental aspect of smash bros for me. I would go as far as saying that smash doesnt "work" (for me) without it. And i am aware that sakurai doesnt value that concept as much as i do (because in smash 4 theres a huge amount of mechanics that help you to come back to the stage no matter what :( )

My favorite place to fight in all of Smash is the underside of Temple. Dat Ceiling. Just enormous tech battles.

Backside of the Great Fox is fun too, but that's more just SSB64 nostalgia than anything.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of those are brought back from Brawl...those ones at the bottom are from Mushroomy Kingdom, iirc.

Spinluck

I'm more disappointed that camping/stalling and running away is still possible. Game still favors defense too much and some people expose it.

Had a Marth do it to me. Took a page from the Zero school of tricks. Stalled until sudden death and won. Left right after the match.

Why not take that mechanic to it's logical conclusion and have citizens that appear on the map you can collect, turning them into a Wonderful One and when you get x-many you get a unite attack? You could even have hitting someone knock some of their Wonderful ones off into a citizen state again so you can steal them :p

That's even better indeed. Having Wonderful Ones fight each other would be a bit weird, but since Smash is meant to be a friendly competition, it would still work.

Rather than use random citizens they could use the actual W100, for variety, but other than that your proposal is perfect. They appear in civilian clothes before you touch them, go Wonderful when you do, but go to their "undergarments" knocked out model when hit, then you have to touch them to recover (or steal) them, just like in the game. Having 10 or even 5-man Unite Morphs would probably be best at this scale. It's just so perfect and mechanically appropriate for both W101 and Smash.

Damn, now I'm going to be slightly disappointed with Smash Wii U because it'll have none of this... :(

Watch Da Birdie

Guys, check this.

Seven-player Smash.

Mario using one of his fire-fist attacks, Blue Link using his sword, Green Wario using a Ray Gun, Pink ZSS using her whip, King DeDeDe using his hammer, Sheik holding her needles, and Dark Toon Link holding a bomb.

Take a picture, enter the Wii U GamePad Drawing Mode, and draw W101 masks on them.

I gotta get seven people together to set up this picture.

With... I think it's 45 stages confirmed so far, 3 of which are unlockable (edit: 3 unlockable, Miiverse not finished yet, Battlefield and Big Battlefield probably sharing music), and assuming the My Music pages we were shown in the Direct are the starting music lineup, generally between 5 and 8 songs per stage to start with, I could see the final count exceeding that number quite a bit... maybe. (Maybe I'm being a bit optimistic here, the starting number of songs per stage might stick closer to 5 and end up being from 7-10 for the final count if the first Smash Direct's My Music lineup for Skyloft is anything to go by).

As far as other music-related topics go, it seems that the My Music menu is accessible from the stage select list now. I need someone demoing the game to check out the lists! I'm suuuuper eager to hear more about the music, ahaha.

JoeInky

No Black Shadow pls. The guy the worst F-Zero character and that says a lot in a series that includes Mr. EAD. I'll even take Jack Levin over him.

Yeah I hate Black Shadow and the idea of giving him Ganondorf's moveset, I don't want to play as Black Shadow.

If we get another F-Zero rep it would probably end up being Samurai Goro, though I'd prefer it to be Pico

I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of those are brought back from Brawl...those ones at the bottom are from Mushroomy Kingdom, iirc.

Oh, absolutely, and 3ds too, but then we've got at least twice as many composers.

I just wonder if for the Melee stages like Onett and Temple they're going to add more music for selection. It's kinda nice having new music for stages like Jungle Japes.

SalvaPot

Guys, check this.

Seven-player Smash.

Mario using one of his fire-fist attacks, Blue Link using his sword, Green Wario using a Ray Gun, Pink ZSS using her whip, King DeDeDe using his hammer, Sheik holding her needles, and Dark Toon Link holding a bomb.

Take a picture, enter the Wii U GamePad Drawing Mode, and draw W101 masks on them.

I gotta get seven people together to set up this picture.

Oh my god I want to see this happening.

Watch Da Birdie

I had someone argue with me once that Black Shadow was a key Nintendo villain...

But I'd say he's probably one of the most forgettable Nintendo villains of them all, and barely registers on the radar. His defining moment is because he appears in the infamous Captain Falcon PUNCH scene from the anime that's memetic, and that's it. I don't think anyone would even think about Black Shadow if not for the fact Ganondorf has a moveset that seems like something he'd use, only because it resembles his series' protagonists moveset.

ec0ec0

I'm more disappointed that camping/stalling and running away is still possible. Game still favors defense too much and some people expose it.

maybe what Joelnky said deserves some attention:

I wonder if some of the design decisions... are due to the fact that the game also had to take 8-player into account for balance.

Would explain the ledge mechanics, low hitstun and all the improved defensive options

We have heard sakurai before saying that he likes to take into account "all possible variations" when developing/balancing the game. Before, the maximum was 4 players, but now its 8. The rules of the game have to be the same for all modes so, maybe, if you had to change something when you have, i dont know, 6 players or more, you would have to implement that change for 1-5 players too.

Its just an idea/theory. But think about something: if you played 8 players smash with melees hitstun/gravity//air dodge/shield/ground dodges... i would be frustating for many players to get comboed to dead (it would be easy to get hit and then to get hit by something else after a first hit, and then again and again). Also, what about the ledge game? What if only one could grab the ledge in 8 players smash?? Imagine 3/4 players out-stage (on the same side of the stage) trying to recover at the same time + 1/2 players on-stage preventing those 3/4 from coming back... IT WOULD BE MADNESS!! everyone dying haha

Watch Da Birdie

Have stages ever shared songs before?

Yes, Dr. Mario was in MUshroom Kingdom I and II in Melee. Also some songs from stages that weren't in Melee were put into different Brawl stages.

But Pictochat isn't in the Wii U Version probably, so it's like the above case, the song is used somewhere else.

oh, i was just figuring that 75m was a really weird choice of stage to put the pictochat music on as opposed to, like, wuhu island or miiverse (though if miiverse is coming late i can kinda understand why they wouldn't want to give it any exclusive music, i guess)

I'm sure there were people on this thread who didn't like Alph being an alt...

The extra two Olimar palettes for Brawl were pretty boring, I'm not sure why you'd want more of that over Alph... At least you're not as bad as the poster who wanted the Koopalings to be cut to give Jr alt colours. :/

It's not so much that I want those two specifically, it's just that I don't think it's fair that Olimar only gets four colors. I think it would be better if both he and Alph got eight, like Little Mac and Wireframe Mac.
I'm hoping for DLC that bumps those numbers up. Also hoping for Pajamas Toon Link.

While I personally dislike the Koopalings, I know that Bowser Jr. was made with the Koopalings in mind. And since that's kind of his gimmick, it would be weird if all his alts were just recolors.

This, lol.

If that's your biggest problem this must be the GOAT
Most of my issues were put to rest on Thursday. Features not in 3DS are in Wii U, the stages are amazing (and there are way more than I thought there'd be), and the game has several new modes and features that look really interesting to play with. I give exactly no shits about walkoffs or stage bosses, so I don't have any issues with the stages so far.
I've gotten over the clones - they are more content, after all - and I've even gotten over Ice Climbers. If Mewtwo is coming back now, then I think Ice Climbers will come back the next time (with a system that can actually handle sixteen Ice Climbers at once).

So yeah, right now Alph is my biggest issue. It's not anything like a dealbreaker for me, it's just that it's a bit bothersome.
I think it's a shame they didn't give him the Koopalings treatment and have all astronauts playable. I mean, why the heck not?

That'd be so cool....
They're not in because of their proportions, but I'm pretty sure Alph was modified to fit Olimar's skeleton. He looks so weird.

Ugh. I have the game preordered, but with the 8-Man Smash confirmed, I now have to preorder the adaptor bundle. I am worried that the bundle is gonna be in limited supply. Might keep my original preorder just in case.

I don't mind Black Shadow at all, but if they add a second F-Zero rep i'd prefer it to be one of the more alien characters - Pico, Mighty Gazelle, Bio Rex etc.

On the subject, the lack of Blood Falcon as a skin in Smash 3DS was a disappointment for me given it was in both Melee and Brawl. Hoping it returns...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom