• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U POTD Thread 17: Smash 3DS Discussion @ OT PLS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jawmuncher

Shulk has a mean spacing game but he's easily punishable. Just gotta bait him.

Most Shulks I played against were bad so eh.

I'm still bad.
I can't figure out how to do anything but spam BACKSLASH.
Since I can use the monado arts but they punish you far too much if you get hit.

Roo

I'm pretty bummed that Luigi's Mansion is coming back. We should've had a stage based on Dark Moon instead.

The Brawl version is one of my favorite stages so I'm glad it returned.
You're right tho, a stage based on Dark Moon could have been a better choice instead so I'll take whatever I can have :)

We won't get either rips or arrangements, which is a shame when you consider what could be done with Dark Moon's music.

Eh...

ibzaQGFglNrwaG.gif

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Shulk has a mean spacing game but he's easily punishable. Just gotta bait him.

Most Shulks I played against were bad so eh.

I'm pretty good with him in casual battles but I never had chance to use him against good players. I always use Monado mode when I can. I rarely use Back Slash for some reason.

Random question, but is there a pic of the Wii U version of Mario in his America outfit?

Yes, his POTD update.

I'm not sure a game with Impa, Paper Mario, Dark Samus, Ridley, Dixie and a new Pokemon can really sell a game as well as adding Bowser, Peach, Zelda and Ganondorf, or Dedede, Metaknight, Diddy, Sonic and Charizard, or Little Mac, Mii, Villager, Megaman and Pacman.

Ridley would really be the only true long time wanted addition, but he sems like a strange character to headling with.

It just shows how much our concept of the roster additions for new games will need to change for 5
I agree with this. While there is still plenty of unique characters they can add, theres very few heavy hitters left. I think that maybe next time they need to dig into third parties a bit more to hype up the next game. (Granted none of these are DLC)

3rd parties like:
Pheonix Wright
Layton
Jack Frost
Monster Hunter if they can get creator on board (This would really hype up Japan)
Maybe a Yokai Watch character and a Dusou character? Don't know much about those franchises.
Maybe Shantae as a general eShop rep but that may be reaching.

Heavy hitters for first parties imo are:
Ridley
Inklings will probably become this.
Any Toad
Paper Mario
Chorus Kids
Plus next game Pokemon/FE characters
And of course any other series we don't know about.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I'm not sure a game with Impa, Paper Mario, Dark Samus, Ridley, Dixie and a new Pokemon can really sell a game as well as adding Bowser, Peach, Zelda and Ganondorf, or Dedede, Metaknight, Diddy, Sonic and Charizard, or Little Mac, Mii, Villager, Megaman and Pacman.

Ridley would really be the only true long time wanted addition, but he sems like a strange character to headling with.

It just shows how much our concept of the roster additions for new games will need to change for 5

To be fair, I strongly believe that the concept of roster additions already changed for Smash 4. Just take a good look at Melee and Brawl additions, and comparing them to Smash 4 additions.

Roo

People are surprised that prototypes toys look better than final versions?

I don't know about the rest but considering the other merchandise I have, I was expecting more quality.
I have a lot of those Super Mario figure collection toys:
And all of them look pretty similar to their official renders so yeah, I'm kinda surprised at the quality downgrade especially when they're asking premium price

So what would you all say are the top five points you're most excited about from the Smash Wii U Direct?

5. My Music
Definitely the best thing to come out of Brawl in my opinion. Glad it's being retained.

4. Event Mode
Was a bit disappointed that it was omitted from the 3DS version, but I'm glad to see it retained for the Wii U version. Hopefully the events are as inspired as they were in Melee and not as boring as the ones in Brawl.

3. 8-Player Smash
This is going to be fucking bonkers.

2. Palutena's Guidance

I had a sneaking suspicion they were saving these for the Wii U version since there weren't any conversations of the sort in Reset Bomb Forest, and considering the nature of the conversations in Uprising, it seemed like a really obvious thing to implement in Smash. I'm glad Viridi will be joining in on the fun, too.

1. Mewtwo
Real talk: That reveal got me so hyped for the game (I wasn't really planning on getting a Wii U or Smash Wii U; I was more or less content with the 3DS version) that I'm actually heading out to buy a Wii U soon after I finish typing this. Mewtwo's one of my favorite Nintendo characters of all time, and I was bitter as hell over him not making Brawl's roster (Though I got Sonic out of that, so it evens out a little). Mewtwo was the reason I bought a Gamecube for Melee, and now I'm getting a Wii U because his announcement got me hype for the game again. Funny how history repeats.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I think Brawl and 4 were sort of similar newcomer wise...

Old School Revival: Pit and Little Mac
New F.E. Rep: Ike and Robin and Lucina
New Pokemon Rep: Lucario and Greninja
JRPG Rep: Lucas and Shulk
Guest Characters: Snake and Sonic and Mega Man and Pac-Man
Sakurai Bias: DeDeDe and Meta Knight and Palutena and Dark Pit
Marioverse Characters: Diddy and Wario and Bowser Jr. and Rosalina
WTF Retro: R.O.B. and Duck Hunt
Quirky New Franchise: Olimar and WFT/Villager
Alternate Version of character: Toon Link and Dr. Mario (well, not a real newcomer)

Wolf, and then Mii Fighters, don't really have a 1:1 correlation. Guess Wolf and Dark Pit fill the same niche as on/off rivals, but there's no clone that's quite like Wolf in terms of how different he is from his source.

jph139

Anyone disappointed with amiibos obviously has not bought figurines before. For 10/15 bucks these are exactly as detailed as you should be expecting - a bit dinky, poorly-translated details, mass-produced. If you guys were expecting Figma quality, realize that those are $60 minimum. Even the Nendoroid Isabella is like $50.

If you want high-quality figures you're going to have to spend four or fives times as much as you would on an amiibo. There should never have been any question on that.

Drago

I dunno if I'd call Little Mac an old school revival. He had a successful Wii game only 5 years ago and his (and Doc Louis') Smash Bros design is based upon that game. Not really a character revival on the level of Pit, I'd say.

Watch Da Birdie

Buy a bunch of Amiibo, take their NFC-chips out of them, re-sell them, and then find random hobos on the street, dress them up as your favorite Smash Bros., cut an incision into their hand and insert the NFC-chip, and voila, high-quality, lifelike Smash Bros. "Amiibo".

I dunno if I'd call Little Mac an old school revival. He had a successful Wii game only 5 years ago and his (and Doc Louis') Smash Bros design is based upon that game. Not really a character revival on the level of Pit, I'd say.

True, I thought of that...but I think both of them sort of fulfill the same niche as a classic NES character that have been long time requests, it's just that Little Mac happened to get a new game before he got into Smash.

I think Brawl and 4 were sort of similar newcomer wise...

Old School Revival: Pit and Little Mac
New F.E. Rep: Ike and Robin and Lucina
New Pokemon Rep: Lucario and Greninja
JRPG Rep: Lucas and Shulk
Guest Characters: Snake and Sonic and Mega Man and Pac-Man
Sakurai Bias: DeDeDe and Meta Knight and Palutena and Dark Pit
Marioverse Characters: Diddy and Wario and Bowser Jr. and Rosalina
WTF Retro: R.O.B. and Duck Hunt
Quirky New Franchise: Olimar and WFT/Villager
Alternate Version of character: Toon Link and Dr. Mario (well, not a real newcomer)

Wolf, and then Mii Fighters, don't really have a 1:1 correlation. Guess Wolf and Dark Pit fill the same niche as on/off rivals, but there's no clone that's quite like Wolf in terms of how different he is from his source.

No way.

Brawl was the game that filled in the glaring blanks in the roster that had been there since 64. Dedede, Metaknight, Diddy, Charizard, Wario, and Olimar. And those aren't even all the new comers. Dedede and Metaknight are not "Sakurai bias" a Smash made by any other developer would have included those two.

Mac just had a game right before Smash 4 was being started. That's not really a revival, considering his entire design is based on the Wii game.

I don't think Shulk has any equal in terms of Smash. He's actually closer to Snake than any Nintendo character, as far as fitting in the roster.

Bowser Jr and Rosalina are not comparable to Diddy or Wario either. Diddy is a top tier, main character of Donkey Kong. Wario is one of the most famous Mario characters ever and has 2 entire series all to himself. Jr and Rosalina don't even compare at all to them.

Olimar and WFT aren't comparable. Olimar wasn't a surprise, I'd have been surprised if he wasn't in Smash Bros Brawl. He sort of compares to Villager, but Animal Crossing is an N64 game, it's hardly "new" nor is it quirky, it's actually very main stream. I was surprised Villager wasn't in Brawl to be honest. He checks all the boxes of most of the new comers in that game.

Neither Doc or Toon Link are new comers. Toon Link was just Young Link with a more original design and a rename. I'm surprised nobody has actually asked Sakurai to confirm this, since it seems pretty clearly true (especially with TL getting Fire Arrows now). You'd actually be more likely to compare Toon Link to Lucina, with Lucina being somewhat of a new Roy, and Toon Link being a new Young Link, but even that's stretching. Since there weren't any real clones in Brawl, you can't really compare it.

Megaman >>>>>> Snake. Sorry. But Megaman is practically a Nintendo character. Like 90% of his games, and pretty much every game worth playing started on Nintendo or is exclusive to Nintendo. He fits so well in this roster, it's crazy. Sonic is maybe comparable, but Megaman is important as a Nintendo based series, more so than his iconic status compared to Sonic, who was still fairly new on Nintendo during Brawl. Pac Man is a "Namco Bias" character, but he's cool enough as a game character and is on an entire different plane than Snake.

kulapik

Anyone disappointed with amiibos obviously has not bought figurines before. For 10/15 bucks these are exactly as detailed as you should be expecting - a bit dinky, poorly-translated details, mass-produced. If you guys were expecting Figma quality, realize that those are $60 minimum. Even the Nendoroid Isabella is like $50.

If you want high-quality figures you're going to have to spend four or fives times as much as you would on an amiibo. There should never have been any question on that.

Well, Funko Pops are $15 or so and I think they are great. Though they are not very realistic, and that is the main problem with these.

So what would you all say are the top five points you're most excited about from the Smash Wii U Direct?

5) Mewtwo

Like Ash, I'm really not that excited for Mewtwo, but it IS exciting to know DLC is on the way. Hopefully we get more characters and stages too.

4) Great Cave Offensive and other Stages; Also, Stage Maker

I'm actually really excited for GCO and how fun it could be. The other stages look really fun an unique too, namely Jungle Hijinx. I also look forward to the Stage Editor. I might try and take a crack at creating stages like I did in Brawl (first thing that comes to mind are the classic Digimon Arena stages), but I'm looking forward to trying stages made by more skilled artists and designers too.

3) Co-op modes

Thankfully I have a skilled little brother to try these with. I see us having a lot of fun.

2) Palutena codecs

This will have to be the first thing I try when I get the game. I'm so excited to see all the conversations.

1) Music

SO MUCH MUSIC! I'm going on a bit of a media blackout like I did Brawl and even Smash 3DS just so I can be more surprised by the new arrangements featured in the game.

EulaCapra

Do you guys think we'll get different conversations if a Dark Pit or Palutena taunts? That would be neato.
Dark Pit: "You're not the boss of me!"
Palutena: "Go away already! No one's even talking to you!"
Viridi: "Yeah! I'm not even playable but even I think you're crap!"
Palutena: "Where's Medusa when you need her? Maybe she could be a clone of me!"
Viridi: "And maybe she can kick this emo Pit out of here by the next game!"
Palutena: "Ha! Here's hoping! I'm pulling for you too, Viridi!"
Viridi: "Oh thanks!"
Palutena: "And how can they be so stupid to include a Pit alt where he has black hair and a purple and black wardrobe when Dark Pit already looks like that?"
Viridi: "Are you serious?"
Palutena: "Yeah! I was seeing double--a double bunch of losers!"
Viridi: "Hahaha! Palutena you crack me up! We should--"
:Dark Pit hangs himself:
Palutena: "Stupid Pitoo!"
Viridi: "Eek! We're Goddesses! We should revive him!"
:palutena does side taunt:
Viridi: "Hahaha! You whore!"

Jawmuncher

Palutena: "And how can they be so stupid to include a Pit alt where he has black hair and a purple and black wardrobe when Dark Pit already looks like that?"

I want to see this in comic form.

Astarte

Wow that got dark really fast

Watch Da Birdie

Well, if we're doing that...

Pit: W-whoa, S-Samus is h-hot without her armor on...
Palutena: Pit, quit drooling.
Pit: Ahaha. Sorry about that Lady Palutena. It's just, who knew Samus was so cute under all that armor?
Palutena: You know Pit, Metroid and Kid Icarus were released in the same year. And a lot of the same people helped create both games so, in a way, Samus is basically your sister.
Pit: Say what.
Palutena: Yep, you and her are basically siblings, cut from the same cloth and all. So don't get any funny ideas Pit, this is a Nintendo game after all.
Pit: W-was my sister really this cute all along?

(that's what I hope the ZSS one is basically like)

MicH

I'm really disappointed with the Amiibo quality :/ I might wait a bit too reconsider of I even want any now

I fear for how the Shulk Amiibo is gonna end up

oop wrong thread for the original post I had here...

Anyhoo, while they amiibos don't look as good as the prototypes I think most still look ok. The only truly horrific one is Marth XD

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I did repeatedly say that hand-painted amiibos for trade shows and mass-manufactured amiibos being painted by machines are going to look really different

Yes, you did and I already expected it to happens. I don't want to make any judgement yet but I felt that Disney Infinity figurines are pretty good so I hope that Amiibo would match it with same quality.

-Horizon-

Well, if we're doing that...

Pit: W-whoa, S-Samus is h-hot without her armor on...
Palutena: Pit, quit drooling.
Pit: Ahaha. Sorry about that Lady Palutena. It's just, who knew Samus was so cute under all that armor?
Palutena: You know Pit, Metroid and Kid Icarus were released in the same year. And a lot of the same people helped create both games so, in a way, Samus is basically your sister.
Pit: Say what.
Palutena: Yep, you and her are basically siblings, cut from the same cloth and all. So don't get any funny ideas Pit, this is a Nintendo game after all.
Pit: W-was my sister really this cute all along?

(that's what I hope the ZSS one is basically like)

Fan fiction. Fan fiction never changes.

Leave it up to SmashGAF to make a mountain out of a molehile.

SmashGAF gonna SmashGAF.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom