• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U POTD Thread XVIII: Today, we are all Mewtwos

Status
Not open for further replies.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
His source said the model of Ridley he saw was the one on Pyrosphere.

The confusing thing however, is that he saw the model on 3DS, along with the outlines, which is usually what playable characters have.
The fact that Ridley is so mobile and even has a version of a Final Smash makes me think that the team was trying to make him a playable character at some point, but they decided to fall back on just making him a boss for one reason or another.

Ridley will be a DLC character, guys.

They had such a golden opportunity to make a smaller Ridley playable by saying "Oh yeah, this is his clone, and he hasn't grown to full size yet."

But no.

For some reason, the PotD hasn't updated on the main site. Still shows the original 8 on Battlefield.

FSLink

Banned
The fact that Ridley is so mobile and even has a version of a Final Smash makes me think that the team was trying to make him a playable character at some point, but they decided to fall back on just making him a boss for one reason or another.
Probably. But people will be effing delusional and think this somehow hints he'll be DLC.

Any Golden Sun music on Norfair confirmed yet? If there isn't any GS trophies/assist trophies/music it'd be disappointing. (unless they announce Isaac as DLC of course)

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Are psychic's favorite food sushie rolls or something?

Well, seafood = brain food so yeah.

So with Mewtwo coming back I was thinking about who the next most popular Pokemon are.

Blastoise seems like he'd be easily the next in line, but beyond that I've got no clue. Arcanine, Gengar, Dragonite, Eevee, Nidoking all seem popular. Not many gen 2-6 Pokemon seem as big as the originals, Scizor, Blaziken and Hawlucha come to mind but not a whole lot else.

Lots of legendaries are popular too obviously, but the most popular are ones that are too big, like Lugia and Rayquaza. Mew maybe.

After Mewtwo, I don't think we will get any more pokemon for this game.

Exotoro

So with Mewtwo coming back I was thinking about who the next most popular Pokemon are.

Blastoise seems like he'd be easily the next in line, but beyond that I've got no clue. Arcanine, Gengar, Dragonite, Eevee, Nidoking all seem popular. Not many gen 2-6 Pokemon seem as big as the originals, Scizor, Blaziken and Hawlucha come to mind but not a whole lot else.

Lots of legendaries are popular too obviously, but the most popular are ones that are too big, like Lugia and Rayquaza. Mew maybe.
I want genesect but I know his time has passed :(

Son Of D

The only Pokemon (outside of future generations in future Smash games) that I think will be considered would be Blaziken. It's got quite a push by Game Freak recently (one of the first Megas to be revealed, a special event to get said Mega, plus was shown in that first teaser video of Pokken), it's a popular Pokemon and the moveset can easily be adapted to Smash.

Forkball

Blaziken is very possible. I'm not a big fan of him, though I did use him on my Pokemon X campaign. The dude is just straight up ugly.

I vote for Gengar. He's humanoid, has a very distinct design, and having a Ghost type would allow for some interesting moves. A few months ago, we got a cool Gengar Nanoblock set.

newpoke.jpg

Pretty co- wait a minute... Charizard is in Smash... and Mewtwo is coming... THAT ONLY LEAVES GENGAR THE NANOBLOCK THEORY STARTS NOW

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Good update. I really like all colors because it's very noticeable that the colors are based on their teammates.

Not yet. ProJared said he wasn't allowed to identify it by name, saying only that there's an N64 stage. I guess the media are under NDA regarding Kongo Jungle, even though we've seen its icon in the screenshot at the website.

So basically he confirmed that we are going to get only one N64 stage or what?

If I got it right then it's possible that they are saving past stages for DLC.

After Mewtwo, I don't think we will get any more pokemon for this game.

Pichu will make his triumphant return

Speaking of which the response to Mewtwo returning is like the opposite of Doc returning. For some reason when it came out Doc was in the game, he suddenly became everyone's least favorite character and another whipping boy for the Dark Pit hate.

He should have been getting funny comics about his return :(

georly

I still can't get over seeing 8 characters at once. That's totally Elementary School Recess talk "I heard in the next one you can be sonic AND pac man," "Oh yeah, well I heard in the next one you can play with EIGHT people at once!"

georly

I hope some of the things are online because if not then I will probably never use it.
That being said, I rather play CPUs in Smash Tour than Smash Run.

8 player will not be online. If 4 people online is hell, I don't want to imagine 8.

I'll use it all the time, but that's primarily because I live in a house of 6. Also, it allows me to give the younger, less experienced, players more CPU helpers/amiibos on their team.

I still can't get over seeing 8 characters at once. That's totally Elementary School Recess talk "I heard in the next one you can be sonic AND pac man," "Oh yeah, well I heard in the next one you can play with EIGHT people at once!"

The joy of Nintendo.

8 player will not be online. If 4 people online is hell, I don't want to imagine 8.

I'll use it all the time, but that's primarily because I live in a house of 6. Also, it allows me to give the younger, less experienced, players more CPU helpers/amiibos on their team.

I just wish voice chat worked during online.

We have a better Roy now.

Fire Emblem Roy is the worst Lord in the series and he was only included to promote Binding Blade, which turned out to be one of the worst games in the series. He's done.

Roy has a few things going for him though.

- He's popular as a Smash Bros character, it doesn't really matter how actually popular the character is, if they're popular enough in Smash. In a game where both Doc and Mewtwo return, it's pretty clear they want all the Melee Nostalgia they can fit.
- He's easy to bring back, since he's mostly a clone, although like Doc, they'll probably change a few of Marth's Brawl changes for Roy so he works more like Melee (like his neutral B's animation).
- He was redesigned in Awakening, and would have a fairly unique appearance compared to everyone else from Fire Emblem.
- His sword gimmick is different than Lucina and they could take the fire aspect further if they want and add burn damage over time or something to a couple of his moves.
- They can just name him Lord Roy

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Why would we want another Marth clone? People complained about Wolf and the reality is he just shared a Final Smash. Roy is Lucina with fire animation.

Why would we want another Marth clone? People complained about Wolf and the reality is he just shared a Final Smash. Roy is Lucina with fire animation.

Because he's a popular vet, easy to add, and has a different gimmick from Lucina?

If his Neutral B charged like in Melee, holding the sword over his shoulder and swiping it down, he had a sweet spot on the middle of his blade, and flame effects, he'd be unique enough. Basically he'd be what Doc is to Mario, and alternate, more classic feeling character.

And if he was just some bonus to some other DLC (maybe Mewtwo's), I doubt anyone would care.

It would be nice to have everyone back, might as well start with the Melee cuts.

Because he's a popular vet, easy to add, and has a different gimmick from Lucina?

If his Neutral B charged like in Melee, holding the sword over his shoulder and swiping it down, he had a sweet spot on the middle of his blade, and flame effects, he'd be unique enough. Basically he'd be what Doc is to Mario, and alternate, more classic feeling character.

And if he was just some bonus to some other DLC (maybe Mewtwo's), I doubt anyone would care.

It would be nice to have everyone back, might as well start with the Melee cuts.

I loved playing as Roy in Melee, don't get me wrong, but I'd rather have a new, unique FE character, like Robin.

Oh wait...

Masked Man

I said wow
How is a Pokemon's popularity measured? Number of cards sold?

Number of times it's featured in spinoffs, promotions, and pieces of merchandise, I suppose. Blaziken has enjoyed considerable popularity ever since its debut in R/S, and it has appeared even more frequently in recent years thanks to Mega Evolutions and Pokkén.

Lucario is about a million times worse than Blaziken.

In terms of overuse? Probably.
In terms of ugliness? Not even close.

Veeboy

Hear, hear! I hate Blaziken so much, and it pains me that he is so absurdly popular. :mad:

Lucario is about a million times worse than Blaziken.

Exeggcute would like to say hi.

Today I'm a Mewtwo?

BRB killing self so I am no longer the worst Pokémon of teh original 150.
Guys I can see where this is going and I'm just gonna stop it right here.

All your favorite Pokemon suck and Shuckle is the indisputable best Pokemon.

Shuckle will wreck all your faves, waifus, and husbandos.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Guys I can see where this is going and I'm just gonna stop it right here.

All your favorite Pokemon suck and Shuckle is the indisputable best Pokemon.

Shuckle will wreck all your faves, waifus, and husbandos.

Shuckle isn't even part of the original 150 so is shit by default.

So I've ordered eight GCN controllers and two adapters. Where can I order seven companions from to play with?

SaberVulcan

We have a better Roy now.

Fire Emblem Roy is the worst Lord in the series and he was only included to promote Binding Blade, which turned out to be one of the worst games in the series. He's done.

As someone who used the crap out of Roy in melee, and is a huge FE fan, I am going to have to agree with this, especially the bold. Binding Blade was pretty damn bad, and if I recall even the character of Roy was poorly written.

While I agree it would be easy for his inclusion, it just doesnt seem necessary, warranted or even desirable.

georly

As someone who used the crap out of Roy in melee, and is a huge FE fan, I am going to have to agree with this, especially the bold. Binding Blade was pretty damn bad, and if I recall even the character of Roy was poorly written.

While I agree it would be easy for his inclusion, it just doesnt seem necessary, warranted or even desirable.

Makes me wonder if roy forever tainted the chance of a not-yet-released character ever appearing in brawl. Sure, greninja was developed before his release, but as of smash's release, greninja is out.

NeonZ

Biding Blade is the best selling GBA FE in Japan (it pretty much only loses to the FE1-4 and Awakening in sales there), and Roy has international recognition thanks to Melee. I don't think bringing him back is that far fetched. Although I guess it depends on whether we're getting individual characters or packs. If they sell characters individually, I don't think there's any way we'd get any clones out of the DLC.

Kyūkon

Neo Member
You guys mainly going for a physical or digital copy for Smash Wii U?

I'm not getting any bundles so just wondering if the physical copy offers any other incentive like a printed instructions guide or something.

Yes, it's been a while since I last bought any physical copies of a game so I have no idea really.

Kyūkon;136096507 said:
You guys mainly going for a physical or digital copy for Smash Wii U?

I'm not getting any bundles so just wondering if the physical copy offers any other incentive like a printed instructions guide or something.

Yes, it's been a while since I last bought any physical copies of a game so I have no idea really.

I always go physical. I plan to get the GCN controller bundle. Where was it that offered an amiibo with the bundle? Wal-Mart?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom