• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros Wii U and 3DS: Info Collection - Dojo, Mega Man and Trailer! 2014!

I'M FINISHED!

Um exCUSE me Sakurai but CLEARLY the best choice for Smash Bros would be my fav niche character HOWEVER you are clearly INCOMPETENT and
So surely if Olimar isn't too small it must also mean that Ridley isn't too big.

J-Tier

Size shouldn't matter anyways if they're all toys fighting each other. I was that one kid that battled my G.I. Joes against my Ninja Turtles with Lego Vehicles, that's what Smash Bros. always felt like to me.

I'M FINISHED!

Um exCUSE me Sakurai but CLEARLY the best choice for Smash Bros would be my fav niche character HOWEVER you are clearly INCOMPETENT and
Well, that was my point. Size only seems to matter if the character in question is preferable to the person posing the argument.

I'M FINISHED!

Size doesn't seem to matter to Sakurai. The Godzilla 98' advertising must have gotten to him.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Yeah I'm going out on a limb here and say that any game announced this past year, or at the very least in the past couple of months, has absolutely no influence on Smash roster decisions. I think it's long since past time to look to new game announcements for possible sources of influence.

You are right, but what about Pikmin and Luigi Mansion being in Melee as trophies. I'm not sure about Brawl.

Size shouldn't matter anyways if they're all toys fighting each other.

This guy got it right.

I'M FINISHED!

Only in Smash would Olimar stand a chance against Ridley.

Village

I feel like some characters have some leeway with this kind of thing. To use marvel vs capcom 3 for example, Galactus will never be a playable character. Because he is big as shit, Dormammu has been seen just as big, but he can change size. Some characters get away with the size argument while others do not get that luxury is all I am saying.

This is the same game where humans can survive punches from the hulk, you gotta have limits some where.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
This is a series where a robot toy from the 80s can shoot gyro tops at a plumber that shoots fireballs while a two dimensional character can hurt a blue, anthropomorphic hedgehog that is considered the fastest thing alive by flipping sausages.

I think realism is already thrown out the window. I don't think slightly changing the size of someone matters at this point.

Village

This is a series where a robot toy from the 80s can shoot gyro tops at a plumber that shoots fireballs while a two dimensional character can hurt a blue, anthropomorphic hedgehog that is considered the fastest thing alive by flipping sausages.

I think realism is already thrown out the window. I don't think slightly changing the size of someone matters at this point.

Its not realism , its fitting a theme and playing onto the characters strengths,

To go back into my marvel example, another reason why galactus will not be playable is because galactus works best big. He is a big scary planet eating entity when he comes around, its " oh shit" time, that is how he works best. I feel the exact same way about riddley making him small would just downplay would ridley is , I big-ass space dragon. A scary challenge , I think making him playable is lessening his ... everything. Why lower him to our level.

Hades can work because he is a size changing god, he can strike fear into the player with out being big and it works with him being small. Ridley is just kinda big, he should stay big , he is good at it.

I'M FINISHED!

I don't know... What if the real Olimar took a team of Red Pikmin, got purposely swallowed and headed straight for the vital organs? I'd imagine it would look like the Fantasia inspired episode of Itchy and Scratchy.

Red Pikmin are devilish little bastards...

Yeah.
Louie on the other hand...

I think Nana and Popo would put Ridley on ice.

I just have a problem picturing Ridley in the next Smash. Either he's too big or he's scaled down to the point where he's not the big imposing squawking bird dragon he should be. I'll certainly welcome him though if they put him in.

Dark Samus should totally get in over him

Palutena should get in over everyone :mad:

I just have a problem picturing Ridley in the next Smash. Either he's too big or he's scaled down to the point where he's not the big imposing squawking bird dragon he should be. I'll certainly welcome him though if they put him in.

Dark Samus should totally get in over him

Palutena should get in over everyone :mad:
His form in the melee intro seems like a good build to me.

NeonZ

You are right, but what about Pikmin and Luigi Mansion being in Melee as trophies. I'm not sure about Brawl.

Melee was developed in 13 months, that's why it managed to be so up to date. This game clearly has a longer development cycle, and updating it midway through would likely mean changing the planned design they're following, which would probably create complications and delays.

Size shouldn't matter anyways if they're all toys fighting each other. I was that one kid that battled my G.I. Joes against my Ninja Turtles with Lego Vehicles, that's what Smash Bros. always felt like to me.

No. Just, No.

Smash Bro's characters are built with individual levels of physics, weight and hitboxes for good reason.

Size matters, look at Bowser, he's big, heavy and strong but also big enough to be an easy target of juggling and slow enough to have trouble with projectiles. Yet, Jifflypuff is small, fast, but not as strong and very light thus prone to KO at lower percentages.

Balance in smash is everything with all these different hitboxes, special moves, weight variables and lets not forget to mention DI (Directional Influence), SDI and Momemtum Cancelling.

And if you really want to dig in, read into the different Techniques recognized in SSB64, SSBM, and SSBB.

RomanceDawn

Its not realism , its fitting a theme and playing onto the characters strengths,

To go back into my marvel example, another reason why galactus will not be playable is because galactus works best big. He is a big scary planet eating entity when he comes around, its " oh shit" time, that is how he works best. I feel the exact same way about riddley making him small would just downplay would ridley is , I big-ass space dragon. A scary challenge , I think making him playable is lessening his ... everything. Why lower him to our level.

Hades can work because he is a size changing god, he can strike fear into the player with out being big and it works with him being small. Ridley is just kinda big, he should stay big , he is good at it.

I'm sure you all discussed this a jillion times over but aside from size, would you not say Mewtwo was always depicted as this overwhelming menace with amazing powers? Pokemon Stadium kept him as the last boss, him VS your entire team. The way he was portrayed in the Anime(which Sakurai took some ideas from) and the way he actually was(power wise) in R/B/Y/G/S/C was like that of a monster. Of course being a Pokemon means he was playable regardless in his own game, but I think of being playable as the ultimate prize in respect for the character. Rather than some form of demotion. Ridley's not even that great, he dies every time he shows his face. ;)

Are you a fan of "Evil Cole" in Playstation DudeBros.?

I'm not sure what Evil Cole has to do with Dark Samus.

Concerning Ridley, if he's playable, he damn well better be huge. If it comes down to a tiny Ridley no taller than Samus and no Ridley, I'll take no Ridley any day of the week. Do him right or don't fucking do him at all.

For instance, this Ridley? No. Get that shit out of here.

J-Tier

No. Just, No.

Smash Bro's characters are build with individual levels of physics, weight and hitboxes.

Size matters, look at Bowser, he's big, heavy and strong but also big enough to be an easy target of juggling and slow enough to have trouble with projectiles. Yet, Jifflypuff is small, fast, but not as strong and very light thus prone to KO at lower percentages.

Balance in smash is everything with all these different hitboxes, special moves, weight variables and DI, ASDI, DSDI, etc.

That's a given...

Relative size would be taken into account. C'mon man.

We're talking in the context of Ridley and Olimar. Ridley COULD be smaller, but just big enough relative to the size of Samus to make it believable. (Like in the post above, that tiny Ridley is TOO absurd).

I'M FINISHED!

I know it's not direct to me but I would like to butt in. Yes, I'm. Is it a crime for me to hope that Dark Pit would get in the game?

Yes, you are a criminal. People that want Dr. Mario back as a separate character are also criminals.

gosox333

I wonder how much Pokemon X/Y stuff is going to make it in the game. This is the first time a new generation of Pokemon will be coming out so close to the release of a new Smash game, so I wonder if development on SSB4 will be too far along by the time of X/Y's release to get some of the new Pokemon stuff in the there.

But I guess the inevitable delay or two would take care of that problem.

Village

I'm sure you all discussed this a jillion times over but aside from size, would you not say Mewtwo was always depicted as this overwhelming menace with amazing powers? Pokemon Stadium kept him as the last boss, him VS your entire team. The way he was portrayed in the Anime(which Sakurai took some ideas from) and the way he actually was(power wise) in R/B/Y/G/S/C was like that of a monster. Of course being a Pokemon means he was playable regardless in his own game, but I think of being playable as the ultimate prize in respect for the character. Rather than some form of demotion. Ridley's not even that great, he dies every time he shows his face. ;)

Mewtwo while seeming like an overwhelming fight in the first place with his psychic powers, was a character you took the fight to.

Like every other villain in that game ( and possible villains Hades and such) you took the fight to them. They were something to fear with out really being something to fear they were tangible in a way . ( except for wolf because spaceship) While hades did turn big you were determined to beat him for friendship and humans and all that mushy crap.

Ridley however is something more to avoid. Samus is going on space bounty hunter adventures when giant space firebrand shows up and gets up in her grill. Ridley is better served in a roll of a boss or a surprise boss because of the nature of his character and his encounters.

" oh fuck its ridley" and sure he gets beat up a bunch of times, but he kind of has to. If he just killed samus while that would be fumiest ending to a game, it wouldn't not be the best. Galactus has gotten beat a bunch, he has to. Wthout earth all we have are marvel cosmic stories. However him getting beat does not undo his " forced to be feared status" because he is a real scary threat when he shows up , out of the fuck nowhere,

Aww, Kid Icarus: Uprising have too many good weapons so I actually can see that Dark Pit would have unique moveset.

If he has different moves, go for it.

jph139

It's essentially the same concept.

Not really - Evil Cole is the same being, while Dark Samus is Metroid Prime wearing a Samus-shaped suit. Separate beings, separate characters.

I'd be in favor of Dark Samus because the possibility for a unique moveset is there - however, I figure they'd go the easy route and just make a Samus clone that's floatier. So Ridley please.

RM8

c8GNrkE.jpg

Please no :(

I'M FINISHED!

Aww, Kid Icarus: Uprising have too many good weapons so I actually can see that Dark Pit would have unique moveset.

How about Palutena or Medusa instead? It is a nice compromise, a way to represent the series in all forms, but to me, it seems like a waste.

J-Tier

Ridley however is something more to avoid. Samus is going on space bountey hunter adventures when giant space firebrand shows up and gets up in her grill. Ridley is better served in a roll of a boss or a surprise boss because of the nature of his character and his encounters.

Eh, I dunno, I kinda see what you're saying. Then again, I thought Nemesis in MVC3 was cool so...

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
How about Palutena or Medusa instead? It is a nice compromise, a way to represent the series in all forms, but to me, it seems like a waste.

I'm using Dark Pit as example. Actually, I would rather to see Palutena, Medusa and Hades are being first 3 characters being in the game before Dark Pit get in.

I'M FINISHED!

Uh, no, have you played either Infamous or Metroid Prime 2/3?

I played Corruption, and I understand that they are "different" characters, but we aren't limited with characters to choose from. It just seems like an uninspired choice to me. We don't need "Samus with darker colors" when there are more unique characters from the same universe that would offer a lot more variety.

Village

Eh, I dunno, I kinda see what you're saying. Then again, I thought Nemesis in MVC3 was cool so...

It was cool however I still felt nemesis being there was a bit weird, and he i'snt ... well ridley or galactus sized, actually Nemesis in that game seemed a bit bigger than a lot of his other appearances.Please mind you , I am not on some horrible anti ridley campaign, I just what to the character the utmost respect in his representation.

You are playing the single player, you beat a bunch of stuff in a certain time, instead of master hand ridley comes in and fucks your shit. And he is like a bajillion times harder, in whatever adventure type mode they have in there.

I'M FINISHED!

Ridley needs to be absolutely monstrous, the biggest character in the game, to preserve the sort of size dichotomy with Samus that I feel is necessary to the character. This is closer, but still a little too small I think.

Marvel vs Capcom 3 has some pretty wild size differences, and the game still works, so I have confidence that Sakurai could pull it off if enough effort was put into it.

It seems to me that the real issue is Sakurai's interest in the franchise.

Marvel vs Capcom 3 has some pretty wild size differences, and the game still works, so I have confidence that Sakurai could pull it off if enough effort was put into it.

It seems to me that the real issue is Sakurai's interest in the franchise.

At the very least, I don't think he's any less invested in Metroid than any of the other series in Smash Bros. It doesn't seem to get worse treatment.

Top Bottom