• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros Wii U and 3DS: Info Collection - Dojo, Mega Man and Trailer! 2014!

TWILT

Banned
screen-7.jpg

This is the Ferox Arena of FE: Awakening.

I hope this means Chrom or Lucina being in. :3

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Is there any 1080p trailers of Wii U games out there? They look way too blurry and compressed on 720p Youtube. :(

Yofaycesux

Neo Member
Anyone saying Villager might be a Wii U exclusive is insane, why would they release New Leaf if only to taunt the same people with not being able to play their most likely favorite character?

I don't buy the whole platform exclusive characters bit, not at all.

One of the more shocking aspects of the reveal is just how good the 3DS version looks. Clearly it borrows some of the Brawl models, but that's impressive in its own right. I like that they tried to differentiate the games' art styles a bit, too.

Yeah and there's actually a reason for the different looks too, the 3DS having the outlines to help see where characters are. Makes a lot of sense.

Anyone saying Villager might be a Wii U exclusive is insane, why would they release New Leaf if only to taunt the same people with not being able to play their most likely favorite character?

I don't buy the whole platform exclusive characters bit, not at all.

It's not really insane, it's based on empirical evidence, PM me when 3DS screenshots of the Wii Fit Trainer & Villager surface.

Ithil

The 3DS version looks great. I mean top notch.

The Wii U version looks....good, but not great. Considering how high quality Brawl's visuals were, it doesn't seem like a gigantic leap. But then, it's only been in development a year, it's got a long way to go.

jmizzal

They also claimed they knew about Villager, Wii Fit Trainer, and Megaman, but didn't post then because the source seemed unreliable. Also from a littleknown site. I call major bullshit.

Yea they shouldve posted them and they wouldve been laughed at over the Wii Fit trainer and maybe villager

Getting them right would have gave them credibility but claiming now they knew is not making them look good

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Overall impressions from a more competitive player after gleaning over all the footage today:

Currently cautiously optimistic. Game looks a little less floaty than Brawl did, pace is a little different. In the Developer Direct, we get a few glimpses of some interesting things.

-For starters, Mario doesn't autosnap to the edge with his Side B the same way he does in Brawl. Not sure if it's because the player was holding down *after* the Side B or not, buuuuut nonetheless it could be a good sign that the edge won't be as free anymore.

-Megaman looks annoying. Projectiles out the ass, can you clash them out with any moves? Otherwise, he's going to be a monster. He'll be Falco on crack with so many projectiles at his disposal. 45% down smash in one of the videos (the one where it's supposedly Sakurai playing the game against Megaman or something).

-Mario has FLUDD again (could just be the early transitional period where some move sets are unchanged atm like the Brawl reveal where Kirby had his Melee Side B still) not sure... if I like that.

-Brawl air dodge is still there. Not sure if I like it. If in the final product you *can't* cancel hitstun with an air dodge, I won't mind. But if hitstun is completely negated again in this game, I'm not sure I'll be happy. I WANT my combos and my reads.

-Bowser's new move looks great and looks like it could give him a boost. Overall mobility improvement for him sounds wonderful. It's definitely what he needed.

-Villager looks okay, not much I can say really without seeing him played in actual matches.

-Wii Fit Trainer looks interesting. She seems to have the mobility of Sheik, to me anyway. She's kind of floaty but it's okay to have floaty specific characters IF the other characters also have their own unique gravities/physics.

-Animation touch-ups on Samus' moves, most notably forward tilt. Less stiff than in Brawl which is REALLY good; visually appealing there. Not something of competitive value BUT I do appreciate it nonetheless.

-Knockback looks like it scales differently but I'm not sure.

-Hitlag for some things look lower, which is good, less time to SDI on reaction (for the less in-the-know, SDI = Smash DI, which is smashing the stick in a direction to push your character more strongly for more survivability).

-Less hazardous stages is always good, more unique PLATFORM layouts for stages is a big plus. Please do more of these stages, I hate the chaotic ones. Unique platform layout spotted on Skyloft and the new Smashville has two plats on each side (I'll assume they move in some way). I hope there's more variety in plain platform stages rather than chaotic and hazardous ones... but I'll keep my expectations in check.

-Powershielding looks to have the same bullshit from Brawl where you don't take any pushback from whatever move hit your shield. And it kinda looked like Bowser buffered it from something but it's obviously hard to tell. If shielding overall is weaker and this is still powerful, I guess I won't mind, but if BOTH are still super powerful together, then it's going to be a repeat of Brawl where defense trumps everything. =\

-Aesthetically it looks great, much better than Brawl and somewhat more in line with Melee's vibrancy. I hope they keep that aesthetic going for the rest of the cast and stages.

Overall like I said, I'm cautiously optimistic but Megaman did get me hyped this morning. I don't see a whole lot of... well, inspiration from what the modding community has done but I guess that's not something I should expect. I guess you could argue Skyloft counts buuuuuut come on, it was a no brainer that was going to be a stage in the next Smash game anyway (all they had to do was import Skyloft's model and create an animation for the stage to make it seem like you're moving in the air).

I hope to God they really don't keep things from the Brawl engine and that this is still rather early where they can fix up whatever's looking... kind of off. I hope none of the bugs or coding related issues transfer over (such as teching using the wrong damn ID or variable which is why teching felt so off in Brawl). And of course, PLEASE NO TRIPPING AT ALL.

Also, I hope Jason got to ask Sakurai my questions..!

Great Read. Yeah I have a feeling that it is so much similar to Brawl.

I wish someone would ask Sakurai the question, would 3DS and Wii U receive exactly same roster and see how they would react to the question.

Revven

wait

mega man has lots of projectiles and explosives and can be annoying

IS HE THE NEW SNAKE

PLEASE

If anything, he's going to be Falco on crack. Snake played slower, Megaman's def. going to be more mobile.

Is anyone bothered by the fact that they still use Twilight Princess' Link instead of Skyward Sword's?

They're not using the TP model. It's SS Link with the matched art style of Smash so he doesn't look out of place. Essentially, it's a marrying of the two Link models.

I have been so, so, so pleased with the new Smash reveal thus far. SSB3DS looks gorgeous with its cell-shaded art style--much more impressive than what I expected. SSBWU going for a more simple vibe with its brightened colors is also pleasant to see. (I've always disliked the more realistic and gritty textures they went for in Brawl.) Each of the new character renders are amazing, and I'm glad to see the development team giving as much attention to the veterans as they are, particularly Bowser.

Sakurai and Namco, from what little we've seen, seem to be listening to their audience. Their apparent tweaks on Bowser speaks highly, as that most likely means they won't be neglecting other returning characters who fans felt have been neglected up until now (i.e. Ganondorf, Link, etcetera). The same goes for the gameplay in itself, as the majority of characters seemed less floaty, and there was a more noticeable amount of uumphh in even the regular attacks. I'm liking this a lot.

Villager? Awesome! Tactical moveset.
Megaman? Oh God, yes! Finally! That meteor projectile!
Wii Fit Trainer? What the hell is this sh--HOLY SHIT, THIS IS AWESOME!

Oh, right - I guess we're done getting new specials?

In Melee we got Side B, in Brawl we got Final Smashes. But I suppose expecting something new like that every time would be ridiculous.

Varjet

They're not using the TP model. It's SS Link with the matched art style of Smash so he doesn't look out of place. Essentially, it's a marrying of the two Link models.

It is TP Link. He's left-handed and has a bracer on that arm.
No puffy pants either.

Wii Fit Trainer looks fine to me.

Sure, I was surprised and taken aback for a while.

Briefly had my doubts, but this is Sakurai - I have absolute trust in him.

Is it just me or are developers finally starting to tap in to 3DS power graphic wise? Sonic Lost World and now this game are starting to really show what this system can do. On another note seeing Link in that Spirit Tracks screen really makes me hope for a Twilight Princess port to 3DS. It seems more than capable of handling it now.

Great Read. Yeah I have a feeling that it is so much similar to Brawl.

I wish someone would ask Sakurai the question, would 3DS and Wii U receive exactly same roster and see how they would react to the question.

In the developer direct, Sakurai states that each game will have exactly the same number of characters, and presumably the same characters. But perhaps there will be slight differences in a character or two?

I am MOST concerned about the online at this point.

Kouriozan

Oh man, I'm so keen for some waifu assist trophies.

Sumia <3
Cordelia <3
Olivia <3
Lucina <3
Tharja <3
Tiki <3
Nowi <3
Cherche <3
Kjelle <3

(I'm not very far into the children yet)

No assist trophy, final smash.
One of his possible wife appear and they do a duo attack.

Beth Cyra

Kind of surprised that the Link design is purely TP/Wii U Tech Demo Link, no Skyward Sword influence at all...

screen-8.jpg

There is a hint of SS Link. Still people really shouldn't be shocked by this, Adult Link is likely to stay the mature Link and Cell/Toon Link will stay as it is.

Not to mention TP Link because extremely popular, and combine that with how critically acclaimed the title was, and how well it sold along with them using his Design for the Wii U tech Demo, it makes perfect sense that TP Link is the one that would be Adult Link.

btw

http://i5.minus.com/ik9DtJ1J2NtM.PNG[/IG]

tom nook all but confirmed

calling it

dat "mmhh" pose[/QUOTE]

My main. Forever. Always. I assume his moveset would be bell-oriented. "Bet you weren't expecting me, hm?"

[quote="GregLombardi, post: 62694506"]
I am [B]MOST[/B] concerned about the online at this point.[/QUOTE]

Don't be, Kid Icarus: Uprising's online was awesome.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
WTF, first time seeing Wii Fit Trainer. Hopefully the game is quicker than Brawl, the 3DS game looks damn good.

can someone explain/confirm what all this talk about exclusive characters is about. Not cool.

- Sakurai states the 3DS and Wii U versions will have "the same amount" of characters.
- There are no 3DS screenshots as of yet for Villager & Wii Fit Trainer

Probably blowing it out of proportion. But still. Would be nice to see some confirmation.

lemonade

so how are people digging the cel-shaded graphics? not liking it AT ALL! still a long time before the game is released *crosses fingers* wii u is looking good though :)

Yep, I think everyone wondered "where is Tom Nook?" after seeing him get an invitation.

I'm calling one of Tom Nook's moves to be a giant debt bell bag dropping on his opponent.

so how are people digging the cel-shaded graphics? not liking it AT ALL! still a long time before the game is released *crosses fingers* wii u is looking good though :)

Have you watched Sakurai's interview? He made a point that it makes characters easier to see, because they're highlighted by thick borders.

FlyFaster

- Sakurai states the 3DS and Wii U versions will have "the same amount" of characters.
- There are no 3DS screenshots as of yet for Villager & Wii Fit Trainer

Probably blowing it out of proportion. But still. Would be nice to see some confirmation.

ok, cool. So at this point it's baseless rumor mongering.

That would really be stupid if they split that cast up on different systems.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
In the developer direct, Sakurai states that each game will have exactly the same number of characters, and presumably the same characters. But perhaps there will be slight differences in a character or two?

I am MOST concerned about the online at this point.

Well, they said Same NUMBERS of characters so I presumed that they will have same numbers but few different characters.

Is this intended..?

Wii Fit Trainer = WFT

WFT as the most WTF character ever.

iH0nOpqcUa3XY.gif

Top Bottom