• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros Wii U and 3DS: Info Collection - Dojo, Mega Man and Trailer! 2014!

Seems my greatest fear has come true in regards to smash. The 3ds version is indeed holding the Wii U version back. This is extremely disappointing to me.

Guys, calm down. Sakurai has the world at his throat when he makes Smash games, so he does his best to keep everyone's expectations tepid. He knows nobody likes cuts, so if they happen, he'll keep them to a minimum.

The roster will be fine, have hope.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
The name and 3ds news is worrying. I don't really care about the version as it is, and it sucks it will seemingly have an impact on the game.

Ugh, make two different games or just cancel the 3DS version. :/

I'm almost 100% sure Snake is returning. There's a reason the Sony Smash knockoff got Raiden.

I hope not, Snake is out of place in Smash, he's not a character that anyone associates with Nintendo. Kojima got his wish last time, that's enough free advertising for him. The last MGS on a Nintendo console was for Gamecube, MGSV is not on WiiU, Sakurai would be an idiot to put Snake in Smash again. Especially since he doesn't like third party characters and only wants two or three at the maximum. I'd rather have a more interesting character like Bayonetta, Smash needs more females anyway.

He didn't say he'll have to cut -- only that it's a possibility. He said "some characters might have to be reduced" (as in their abilities scaled back), and "we're trying to get in as many characters as possible." If Ice Climbers is one of the character posing technical problems for the 3DS, I imagine Olimar is another, since he has a gaggle of Pikmin that follow him around at all times. I wouldn't assume they'll be cut, but the way they play may be tweaked.

Makes sense, but imo they should focus on the console version. I can't even see myself playing SSB on a handheld.

Worst news we could possibly get next to Sonic not coming back.

Do people seriously think Sonic isn't coming back? Seriously? Do you even know why Sonic was in Brawl? Long story short, it was part of SEGA and Nintendo's agreement. SEGA were to make three Wii-exclusive Sonic games, right? And what did Nintendo announce recently? That SEGA would make three Wii U-exclusive Sonic games. Not saying that the deal is identical, but come on. There's no way Nintendo isn't going to push Sonic.

Aghiliz

Neo Member
Olimar not making the cut?

If he doesn't I'd be surprised since Pikmin 3, Also i doubt someone like Luigi will be cut either since this is the year of Luigi (even though game will be released 2014).

However I can see someone maybe like Wario being cut?

Not

Banned
Makes sense, but imo they should focus on the console version. I can't even see myself playing SSB on a handheld.

I have literally no friends who would consider getting a 3DS, even for Smash Bros

EDIT: As opposed to they would ALL probably come over to play it on my hypothetical Wii U

NotLiquid

There were a lot of dead-weight clones or characters in Brawl that could be taken out and/or replaced with others. Between characters like Fox/Wolf/Falco and Link/Toon Link there ought to be some sort of compromise to be found, and characters like R.O.B. and Ike I'm not expecting to return. That and characters aside it all depends on how much content they're planning to stuff in. Content like SSE and all the extras pushed Brawl to it's bursting limit. I'm not expecting the 3DS to have anywhere near as meaty content as the Wii U version so characters might not be an issue.

I think we can expect a relatively similar roster that's a mild expansion all things considered.

serplux

He didn't say he'll have to cut -- only that it's a possibility. He said "some characters might have to be reduced" (as in their abilities scaled back), and "we're trying to get in as many characters as possible." If Ice Climbers is one of the character posing technical problems for the 3DS, I imagine Olimar is another, since he has a gaggle of Pikmin that follow him around at all times. I wouldn't assume they'll be cut, but the way they play may be tweaked.

Sounds about right.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"

It could deconfirm Ice Climbers if they can't figure out how to make them working in 3DS.

Sakurai has said in the past that he doesn't want to focus on the increasing the roster size, so I'm already expecting a roster only slightly bigger than Brawl.

The news only reconfirms that point.

Yeah, I'm aware of it, but I can't helped but being worried that we are losing some of important characters like Olimar and Ice Climbers.

If they cut some characters out then I will say that, I wouldn't be happy because We know that SSB 3DS is one that are holding SSB Wii U back because they HAD to do it.

FlyFaster

I'm really hoping the Wii U version doesn't get fucked because of the 3DS version..

This is one of my main concerns right now. I want the game to be jam packed with content and I have a feeling Nintendos insistence on having 3ds counterparts to the game will end up hurting it.

If wish they'd have just left Smash on the WiiU. Could have had a bigger team working on it and we'd probably be getting it sooner.

kirblar

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/06/13/e3-2013-no-plans-for-smash-bros-dlc-tripping-removed

- DLC is a possibility, but not currently in the cards
- Gameplay will be somewhere between Melee (fast and competitive) and Brawl (slower and casual)
This is good to hear. I know competitive players don't like hearing it- but Melee's hyper-fast/sensitive controls made the game a lot harder to control for many casual/inexperienced players than SSB64, and its good that they're trying to find a balance between the two extremes.

This new Smash Bros might have a slimmer roster?

Hmmm. This doesn't really bother me right now. I expect this game to have 10 new characters at minimum.

Also, I don't expect this game to have a slim roster just because of the 3DS version. If anything the 3DS version will have a slim amount of stages, which is totally fine. I expect the Wii U version to have a boatload of stages comparable to Brawl, but the 3DS version to have maybe...half the amount of stages of the Wii U version. Wouldn't that free up space for a big roster of characters?

The fact that both versions will have the same amount of characters makes me happy; I don't own a Wii U yet, just a 3DS. I NEED the Wii Fit Trainer in my fighting game life.

Aghiliz

Neo Member
TBH I feel like they should have cut some chars from the 3DS version (if this was going to happen) so it could also be an insensitive to buy a Wii U as well.

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.
I think it's an excuse. Sakurai has already expressed how he would like to keep the roster smaller so he can focus on balancing them.

Seems he said he'd need to cut down on some characters abilities, not straight cut them out.

Like maybe on the 3DS version Pokemon trainer doesn't show up in the background and motions for special attacks, that sort of stuff. Or on the 3DS maybe Olimar can only carry 3 pikmin around.

Not

Banned
This new Smash Bros might have a slimmer roster?

Hmmm. This doesn't really bother me right now. I expect this game to have 10 new characters at minimum.

Also, I don't expect this game to have a slim roster just because of the 3DS version. If anything the 3DS version will have a slim amount of stages, which is totally fine. I expect the Wii U version to have a boatload of stages comparable to Brawl, but the 3DS version to have maybe...half the amount of stages of the Wii U version. Wouldn't that free up space for a big roster of characters?

The fact that both versions will have the same amount of characters makes me happy. I NEED the Wii Fit Trainer in my fighting game life.

lol @ 10 new characters

less than melee?

Tan

No way, i can't wait to play smash bros on the go. He just needs to remove cross-play and not worry about the rosters being identical. I'd be ok with them being completely different games.

I don't even think it has cross-play considering the different stages.

lol @ 10 new characters

less than melee?

That's hardly a crazy assumption. Especially considering they're redesigning some old characters like Bowser.

TheOGB

Banned
I could see Olimar (not the star of Pikmin 3), ROB, Ike, Toon Link (most likely imo), and maaaaaaaybe Pokemon Trainer (at least, as we know him) on the immediate chopping block.

My first thought is that, as Neiteio pointed out, nobody's getting cut, just "reduced." If it does come to it though, those characters above seem like the first ones to go to me.

Even though I am pretty disappointed that the roster is probably going to be held back by 3ds I still expect about 10 overall newcomers on top of the cut veterans. I only expect around 5 cuts to happen. Wii U version will probably have ton's more music and extras, at least hopefully it will.

Tookay

I hope not, Snake is out of place in Smash, he's not a character that anyone associates with Nintendo. Kojima got his wish last time, that's enough free advertising for him. The last MGS on a Nintendo console was for Gamecube, MGSV is not on WiiU, Sakurai would be an idiot to put Snake in Smash again. Especially since he doesn't like third party characters and only wants two or three at the maximum. I'd rather have a more interesting character like Bayonetta, Smash needs more females anyway.

If you're discounting Snake Eater 3D because it's not a "console" game, then what an arbitrary qualification.

J@hranimo

Banned
So it seems those 3 characters probably won't be shown today...shame.

But again, who knows still a few hours left.

Wait was it really confirmed that the 3 rumored characters would be revealed today?

Also a slimmed down roster would be lame too, but I really hope he's able to sort stuff out with the 3DS version.
inevitable delay coming :(

Yeah, that's the impression I got out of what he said, not "we're cutting a boatload of characters." Just that there are some characters' playstyles that might have to be changed. I could see Pokemon Trainer being a potential problem on 3DS too.

Not

Banned
So it seems those 3 characters probably won't be shown today...shame.

But again, who knows still a few hours left.

Pretty sure Nintendo's done until the next Direct. But at least we still have Sakurai interviews to look forward to :D

If f*cking IGN and Kotaku don't reveal everything beforehand

you guys seriously think they'd cut Olimar after Pikmin 3 is released and Olimar being one of the most anticipated newcomers of Brawl and one of the most unique characters?

Come on

What we'll see is probably characters that work slightly different or more simple on the 3DS.

DaBoss

Yea, this is how I seen it.

Not

Banned
Yeah, that's the impression I got out of what he said, not "we're cutting a boatload of characters." Just that there are some characters' playstyles that might have to be changed. I could see Pokemon Trainer being a potential problem on 3DS too.

Pokemon Trainer should be first to go IMO. Worthless except for the 3 extra characters in Project M.

But knowing Sakurai, that's why he's definitely back in

Top Bottom