• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Brothers Brawl *SPOILERS**SPOILERS**SPOILERS*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
Zoramon089 said:
That stage actually looks cooler and more interesting than some of the actual stages...except for the generic looking pieces. I wonder if you can pick the stage music...

According to the Dojo, yes you can.

:D

I don't get why Wolf wasn't an alternate costume for Fox. Lame character addition, but whatever. I'm glad we get most of the new characters as part of the starting roster. It would suck to have to pound through single player before getting to try PT or Olimar.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
Zek said:
No, people have pretty much always been saying that. They're wrong, but that doesn't stop them.
Who gets to decide the definition of a clone in smash brothers? You? There is no objective line so no one can be wrong on who is or isn't a clone.

I've always considered luigi to be a clone, although I consider him the only truly legitimate clone due to the history of the character in general as being a slightly different mario.

I loved gannondorf in ssbm, and I will probably still love him in brawl, but it is still a little irritating that he is a clone. It's not the worst thing in the world but having a unique moveset would have been nice. All this assumes he still has his old moveset. I see people calling him a clone but I can't actually find a video that shows anything other than his up b. So in calling him a clone I'm just going by what I've glanced at in this thread.

Lucario doesn't bother me at all though since mewtwo is out. So even though he is a 'clone' there is only one character in the game with that particular moveset.

In the end, more characters are better than less, but I think it would have been a worthwhile trade to remove 2-3 of the clones for a different character with a unique movset. The only clone that really, really bothers me is wolf because he is a new character who is a 2nd clone of fox. Characters like Falco and Gannandorf are a little more justified because of their previous incarnations in ssbm. If they aren't given unique move sets, people will bitch. If they were changed to be unique, people will bitch. So in that regard sakurai is screwed no matter what he does.

But wolf... spending dev time to create a new character so that you have three characters that are all that similar is silly. The other earthbound character also bothers me a little because ness is already there.

But Olimar, Snake, and Sonic are all awesome enough that once the game comes out I doubt I will care anymore.

justchris

Well, I'm going to whine and complain a little myself.

My problem isn't that there are clones in Brawl. My problem is that they saw fit to clone Fox twice. I mean, if they were going to add another clone, why add Wolf as a Fox clone? Where's my Samus clone, or my Peach clone. I mean, it's not like I'm asking for a Game & Watch or Olimar or Ice Climbers clone (those would be super fucking sweet). I'm not even asking for a new original moveset, I know that takes a lot of work, but Tetra in as a Zelda clone (except with a different Down Special) would have been totally acceptable.

It's not a deal breaker or anything, but it is disappointing that they decided that Fox, of all people, deserved to have his moveset repeated 3 times, yet we couldn't get a second Ness clone (okay, I know that's not realistic, but a second Mario clone, come on).

TreIII

So basically, like Crushed implied, Fox, Falco and Wolf are basically Ryu, Ken and Gouki(Akuma)? Fine by me...I probably won't bother so much with them any way. Not with Lucario beckoning... :D

justchris said:
Well, I'm going to whine and complain a little myself.

My problem isn't that there are clones in Brawl. My problem is that they saw fit to clone Fox twice. I mean, if they were going to add another clone, why add Wolf as a Fox clone? Where's my Samus clone, or my Peach clone. I mean, it's not like I'm asking for a Game & Watch or Olimar or Ice Climbers clone (those would be super fucking sweet). I'm not even asking for a new original moveset, I know that takes a lot of work, but Tetra in as a Zelda clone (except with a different Down Special) would have been totally acceptable.

It's not a deal breaker or anything, but it is disappointing that they decided that Fox, of all people, deserved to have his moveset repeated 3 times, yet we couldn't get a second Ness clone (okay, I know that's not realistic, but a second Mario clone, come on).

I blame those tourney ssb players who all chose fox. Apparently Sakurai thinks he is popular

Artadius

Do we have a definitive list yet of what modes are playable online?

For instance, could me and a friend do co-op 100 man melee via wi-fi? SSE?

Iam Canadian

What's amazing to me is that it's looking more and more likely with each video that I see that Ness will be replaced as my main.

Granted, it's another Mother character he'll be replaced with, but still. >_> Lucas seems to address every problem I ever had with Ness' playstyle.

MGrant

Iam Canadian said:
What's amazing to me is that it's looking more and more likely with each video that I see that Ness will be replaced as my main.

Granted, it's another Mother character he'll be replaced with, but still. >_> Lucas seems to address every problem I ever had with Ness' playstyle.

A friend of mine who always hated that I used Ness the most has sworn to main Lucas just to spite me and declare him superior. He will be proven wrong.

Zoramon089 said:
YES, CUSTOM STAGES CAN BE PLAYED ONLINE! WHY WOULDN'T THEY BE?!

awesomeo5to.gif

Iam Canadian said:

Does Lucas use the rope snake to grab?

Also, it looks like Ness's yoyo is faster now and his third "jump" goes a lot further, more akin to the 64 Ness. His meteor smash looks a little quicker, too. I haven't seen PK Flash yet. Is it as fast as PK Freeze?

Iam Canadian

MGrant said:
A friend of mine who always hated that I used Ness the most has sworn to main Lucas just to spite me and declare him superior. He will be proven wrong.

I plan on maining both Ness and Lucas, maining Ness mostly out of principle/tradition. It's just that I think I'll be using Lucas a bit more because I like his gameplay better. PK Freeze trumps PK Flash and more controllable PK Thunder trumps slightly bigger PK Thunder.

Then I've got the Kirby trio as my secondaries...

slayn

needs to show more effort.
Artadius said:
Do we have a definitive list yet of what modes are playable online?

For instance, could me and a friend do co-op 100 man melee via wi-fi? SSE?

I definitely want someone to answer this. This thread is so hard to keep up with. I'm really hoping I can play SEE co-op online. I'm currently skeptical that you can do anything online other than basic multiplayer brawl/team brawl and I hope to be proven wrong. And not just through speculation or hints or interview quotes...

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios
I'd really be interested in hearing the reasoning behind these clones, and ESPECIALLY behind the lazy cloned final smashes. I was under the assumption that the clones in Melee were that way due to a lack of development time? Brawl had plenty of time, and was even delayed....

I'm really glad I found out about all of this now so I have time to get over my disappointment and just enjoy the other million things I'm sure to love about the game when I get it

slayn said:
I definitely want someone to answer this. This thread is so hard to keep up with. I'm really hoping I can play SEE co-op online. I'm currently skeptical that you can do anything online other than basic multiplayer brawl/team brawl and I hope to be proven wrong. And not just through speculation or hints or interview quotes...

Here's a Dojo post that says/shows you can do Stadium events over WFC with a friend. So 15-minute, 100-man brawl, etc. are available co-op online.

Crushed

Fry Daddy
I wonder if people would be talking about "clones" at all if it hadn't been for that fake interview that said "no clones," which affected everybody's thinking.

And I'm still confused as to how LUIGI is a clone now.

webrunner

slayn said:
Who gets to decide the definition of a clone in smash brothers? You? There is no objective line so no one can be wrong on who is or isn't a clone.

Actually, there is. Clones in Melee had recessed portraits. Luigi did not. Therefore, the line is between the "melee clones" and "melee Luigi".

Since every clone in Brawl seems to be melee-luigi-or-more different, it means none of them are clones.

Edit: Dark Samus as a Samus clone would make no sense. They look the same but are totally different in what they do.. Dark Samus is probably closer to Mewtwo then Samus.

Edit 2: SA-X is still the superior enemy Samus.

KrawlMan

I know there was a leaked list stating the 35 characters they have now...but when was that confirmed to be the final list? I mean, I'm pretty sure there were a few characters that took much longer to get in Melee, like Mr. Game and Watch?
In order to get him you had to unlock all 24 other characters, then beat classic and target test mode with all 24...and given the number of characters and modes in brawl there has to be something even more super secret in the game.

Even though this list of 35 is phenomenal, I'm just sorta reaching to see if theres a chance for a couple more :p

Teknoman

People need to stop complaining about 3 characters that have similar move sets. They still arent exact clones of each other. That and this game has the most stuff packed into one disc that isnt a compilation/anthology title, how people can actually be dissapointed is beyond me.

Sure maybe you might not like the fact that one of your favorite characters didnt make the cut, but the majority of the roster is just pure awesomeness.

Mgoblue201

Won't stop picking the right nation
MrCheez said:
I'd really be interested in hearing the reasoning behind these clones, and ESPECIALLY behind the lazy cloned final smashes. I was under the assumption that the clones in Melee were that way due to a lack of development time? Brawl had plenty of time, and was even delayed....

I'm really glad I found out about all of this now so I have time to get over my disappointment and just enjoy the other million things I'm sure to love about the game when I get it
I believe there are more new characters and even fewer clones, not to mention a huge single player, online, assist trophies, stickers, and probably over a hundred songs. They had more development time, and we get more content. That doesn't mean they didn't run out of time trying to put it all in there (they delayed it just to get more time in fact). I don't think it excuses it. I'd rather they focus on the characters above all else, even if it means cutting content elsewhere. But development time can always become a factor depending on the content that is being put into a game.

Firestorm

KrawlMan said:
I know there was a leaked list stating the 35 characters they have now...but when was that confirmed to be the final list? I mean, I'm pretty sure there were a few characters that took much longer to get in Melee, like Mr. Game and Watch?
In order to get him you had to unlock all 24 other characters, then beat classic and target test mode with all 24...and given the number of characters and modes in brawl there has to be something even more super secret in the game.

Even though this list of 35 is phenomenal, I'm just sorta reaching to see if theres a chance for a couple more :p

It was confirmed on the 20th. Search up the smash bros spoilers topic by Angelo which is locked.

webrunner

KrawlMan said:

There are screenshots of the "You now have all the characters!" screen around, I think?

J_Sensei

I suppose if they have a costume for Dark Link, an alternate costume for Dark Samus is not out of the question. If they do those, do you think they'll put in Clause as an alternate costume for Lucas?

Zek

Contempt For Challenge
J_Sensei said:
I suppose if they have a costume for Dark Link, an alternate costume for Dark Samus is not out of the question. If they do those, do you think they'll put in Clause as an alternate costume for Lucas?
No to all of the above. Dark Link is still just a recolor. Samus has a Phazon Suit color IIRC, which is far cooler than Dark Samus. If Lucas has a "Claus" costume it'll just be a hair color change.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Crushed said:
I wonder if people would be talking about "clones" at all if it hadn't been for that fake interview that said "no clones," which affected everybody's thinking.

And I'm still confused as to how LUIGI is a clone now.

Ever play Mario Bros. or Super Mario Bros.? Total clone. :lol

Fireblend

Banned
J_Sensei said:
I suppose if they have a costume for Dark Link, an alternate costume for Dark Samus is not out of the question. If they do those, do you think they'll put in Claus as an alternate costume for Lucas?
Well, Samus already has the alternate Fusion suit which looks pretty good, imo. And if Claus was an alternate color for Lucas, the hair would differ a little... still something tho, their shirts are pretty much the same...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom