• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Brothers Brawl *SPOILERS**SPOILERS**SPOILERS*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Avrum said:
Ho! Ly! Hell!

And here I was thinking stage builder would only allow for static objects...MAYBE even moving platforms...but all of that is just nuts.

Very nice!
Agreed. Stage Builder = Win!

But its just to bad that it looks like you can't choose where each player respwans :(

Anyway when I get teh game tomorrow I'm gonna make this stage

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p231/WiiRevolution1/abrawlicesheild.jpg

Yea its lame-ish but I like it. :lol

slayn

needs to show more effort.
webrunner said:
Actually, there is. Clones in Melee had recessed portraits. Luigi did not. Therefore, the line is between the "melee clones" and "melee Luigi".

Since every clone in Brawl seems to be melee-luigi-or-more different, it means none of them are clones.
Putting it on the developer isn't any better either. Otherwise as an engineer, I can label all the shortcomings of every product I put out as 'intended features.' And then no one is allowed to complain that my product has flaws. If everyone absolutely demands that the word 'clone' be reserved for what the game says is a clone, then do a find and replace on all everyone's posts to replace 'clone' with 'characters which are too god damned similar' and read everyone's posts that way.

Manabanana said:
Here's a Dojo post that says/shows you can do Stadium events over WFC with a friend. So 15-minute, 100-man brawl, etc. are available co-op online.
That's like, the least important event as far as co-op goes =( But thanks.

masterkajo

Firestorm said:
Stupid Mario taking Young Link's final smash :( And he kills him with it.

YLink's aerials have definitely changed.
Do we still don't know what Toon Links FS is? If I came across a Mario when I am playing this game online... he is so gonna pay for that!!

You know, I was going to post how I was disappointed that Wolf made it in instead of Roy or Geno. But then I started watching gameplay footage of Ike, Lucario, Charizard, Ivysaur, and Sonic in action and I said "Wait a minute, this is Smash Bros. motherfucking game of forever, WHAT THE HELL am I complaining about?"

Seriously, except for Amir0x, everybody probably had at least one character they wanted in as playable, and if it wasn't Wolf, it could've been someone worse (imagine if it was Krystal, also with Fox's moveset). Granted, I hope Fox and Falco got nerfed a bit, so they don't dominate the tourney scene, but hell, I'm happy with what we got.

Also, Lucario looks like a lot of fun to play as.

Sciz

I have no real complaints about Wolf being clone-ish. The more characters with Fox's moveset, the greater the chance that I'll actually like using one of them.

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
Actually, outside of Ridley, I'm honestly drawing a blank on characters that actually had a realistic chance of getting into Brawl that didn't make it. I mean, there was never going to be a chance of there being more than two Mother characters and the remainder of my list just consisted of a few third parties (a certain blue robot who fights for everlasting peace, for one), and some minor characters that never had a shot: Bugzzy, Biospark, Kamek, Midna...

webrunner

slayn said:
If everyone absolutely demands that the word 'clone' be reserved for what the game says is a clone,

You're the one who said that there wasn't a line between clones and non clones, and I was just informing you that the game specifies one quite clearly.

Anyway, regarding the whole clone thing: look at TLink's new aerial down A. Functionally, it's more of a clone of Kirby's stone then it is of regular Link's aerial down A.

Iam Canadian said:
Actually, outside of Ridley, I'm honestly drawing a blank on characters that actually had a realistic chance of getting into Brawl that didn't make it. I mean, there was never going to be a chance of there being more than two Mother characters and the remainder of my list just consisted of a few third parties (a certain blue robot who fights for everlasting peace, for one), and some minor characters that never had a shot: Bugzzy, Biospark, Kamek, Midna...
Perhaps Krystal and Geno, due to their poll placements, and maybe Midna. Also any melee character that was cut. But yeah, everyone else was either a bit player, or a third party character. We damn near got 'em all.

Firestorm

webrunner said:
You're the one who said that there wasn't a line between clones and non clones, and I was just informing you that the game specifies one quite clearly.

Anyway, regarding the whole clone thing: look at TLink's new aerial down A. Functionally, it's more of a clone of Kirby's stone then it is of regular Link's aerial down A.

Look. If move behaviour is what we used to determine clonage, then no character is a clone. YLink is a clone of Link because most of their moves share the same visual effect. People do not play the characters they call clones half the time. They just see them and go "lol clone they must be the same".

Anyway, I need someone to use more of YLinks aerials.

coreycubed

Neo Member
webrunner said:
There are screenshots of the "You now have all the characters!" screen around, I think?

3.jpg

Is that it?

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
A Link to the Snitch said:
I see no point in that post.

Dark Samus can be a clone of Samus. Does DS not have any moves even remotely resembling Samus'?
Yes her beam weapon alone has far more variation. Shotgun blast for instance

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Keru_Shiri said:
Perhaps Krystal and Geno, due to their poll placements, and maybe Midna. Also any melee character that was cut. But yeah, everyone else was either a bit player, or a third party character. We damn near got 'em all.
Or perhaps some from AC or AW

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Keru_Shiri said:
You know, I was going to post how I was disappointed that Wolf made it in instead of Roy or Geno. But then I started watching gameplay footage of Ike, Lucario, Charizard, Ivysaur, and Sonic in action and I said "Wait a minute, this is Smash Bros. motherfucking game of forever, WHAT THE HELL am I complaining about?"

Seriously, except for Amir0x, everybody probably had at least one character they wanted in as playable, and if it wasn't Wolf, it could've been someone worse (imagine if it was Krystal, also with Fox's moveset). Granted, I hope Fox and Falco got nerfed a bit, so they don't dominate the tourney scene, but hell, I'm happy with what we got.

from what I've seen, all the clones (Wolf + Fox, Ness and Lucas) have at least as many differences between as Mario and Luigi had in Melee, and they were certainly NOT clones of each other.

Even if you are EXTREMELY strict with the clone definition, and count Luigi as a Mario Clone, Ganondorf as a Falcon clone, Falco and Wolf as Fox clones, Ike as a Marth clone, Ness as a Lucas clone (or lucas as a ness clone), and toon link as a link clone, there is still about a 50% increase in non-clone characters in Brawl over Melee's non-clone character count.

Mario, Donkey Kong, Link, Samus, Zero Suit Samus, Kirby, Fox, Pikachu, Marth, G&W, Diddy Kong, Zelda, Sheik, Metaknight, Pit, PKMN Trainer (nevermind the fact that he's really 3 characters), Snake, Peach, Yoshi, Ice Climbers, DeDeDe, Lucario, Ness, Sonic, Bowser, Wario, ROB, Olimar, Falcon, Jigglypuff.

I count 30 non-clone characters (32 if instead of counting Pokemon Trainer as 1 character, you count him as 3 characters: Charizard, Squirtle, and Ivysaur). 39 characters total including the clones of Falco, Wolf, Ganondorf, Ike, Luigi, Lucas, and Toon Link (and probably only 2 or 3 of them, if even that, are "clones" in the Melee sense. Most of them have quite a few move differences).

Iam Canadian

Keru_Shiri said:

I'm actually very happy we didn't get Krystal. But that's all I'm going to say on the subject because I don't want to start a Krystal argument. We just had a "Sakurai is lazy" argument and now we're in a clones argument, so this thread is already in enough disarray.

webrunner

Firestorm said:
Look. If move behaviour is what we used to determine clonage, then no character is a clone.

Here's how I see it: A given move has various parts to it:
1) Visuals (this is the animation used. Warlock Punch does not have a flaming falcon attached to it, so it does have different visuals, but only minorly so)
2) hitboxes (where on the attack it hits.. in terms of the new Psi Magnet moves, Ness's is a full bubble and Lucas only goes in front)
3) movement (arcs and whatnot. EG: Mario and Luigi's jump punches go in different directions) In terms of actual gameplay, Movement is the biggest determination of whether a move is the same move as another move.
4) speed (both in wind-up and actual movement)
5) Power (What might be a killing move for one character, may be a damage move for a clone)
6) Details (Marth's and Roy's differeing sweet spots)

Most moves that clones have (defined here by the recessed portrait) have very similar Visuals, Hitboxes, Movement. Where they differed was usually speed, power, and in the details.

But, it looks like the 'clones' in Brawl have:
a) more different visuals (completely redone animations in some cases, even if they're doing the same 'move')
b) much different hit boxes (TLink, for instance, has somewhat strange anatomy and a much shorter sword. Plus, there's stuff like the above Psi Magnet example)
c) Different movement. TLink's down A stops all forward movement and goes straight down. Link's follows the trajectory you were already going (given that you would be fast-falling anyway since you had to press down to do the move)
d) Different speed, power, and details, as previous clones.

Basically everything i've seen (aside from the Landmaster Trio), suggests that any situation where it was the "same" in some respect, is now only "similar", or in some cases (Dorf's up-b), "Completely different"

I don't disagree that a full moveset is better, but people are treating the 'clone' news like we have a roster of Roys and Pichus and Doctor Marios which isn't the case at all.

GaimeGuy said:
from what I've seen, all the clones (Wolf + Fox, Ness and Lucas) have at least as many differences between as Mario and Luigi had in Melee, and they were certainly NOT clones of each other.

Even if you are EXTREMELY strict with the clone definition, and count Luigi as a Mario Clone, Ganondorf as a Falcon clone, Falco and Wolf as Fox clones, Ike as a Marth clone, Ness as a Lucas clone (or lucas as a ness clone), and toon link as a link clone, there is still about a 50% increase in non-clone characters in Brawl over Melee's non-clone character count.

Mario, Donkey Kong, Link, Samus, Zero Suit Samus, Kirby, Fox, Pikachu, Marth, G&W, Diddy Kong, Zelda, Sheik, Metaknight, Pit, PKMN Trainer (nevermind the fact that he's really 3 characters), Snake, Peach, Yoshi, Ice Climbers, DeDeDe, Lucario, Ness, Sonic, Bowser, Wario, ROB, Olimar, Falcon, Jigglypuff.

I count 30 non-clone characters (32 if instead of counting Pokemon Trainer as 1 character, you count him as 3 characters: Charizard, Squirtle, and Ivysaur). 39 characters total including the clones of Falco, Wolf, Ganondorf, Ike, Luigi, Lucas, and Toon Link (and probably only 2 or 3 of them, if even that, are "clones" in the Melee sense. Most of them have quite a few move differences).

I'm not going to argue, in face I agree 100%. Hell, I LIKE clones. But I really don't see how this addresses my post. o_O

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Keru_Shiri said:

I completely agree. I actually like the way all the characters play from what I've seen and as least Wolf is a somewhat decent character in his games. I just want to try it for myself now.

webrunner

Keru_Shiri said:
Granted, I hope Fox and Falco got nerfed a bit,

As long as Waveshining and that infinite grab thing are gone, then at least they won't be responsible for banning every stage with a wall or a walk-off-edge

And if most characters have a way of catching up with them somehow without items, then stages with circles won't be banned either.

I noticed Summit seems to have a circle, so it got me concerned

Avrum said:
Ho! Ly! Hell!

And here I was thinking stage builder would only allow for static objects...MAYBE even moving platforms...but all of that is just nuts.

Very nice!

LOL at wario bike, i laugh loudly after seeing that bike being throwed around....:lol

Iam Canadian

Geez. Someone drops the word "clone" and the entire thread becomes a full-fledged debate.

It's nice to see that the spirit of the Dojo thread lives on.

Anyway, while watching the videos of the boss fights (Rayquaza and Pokey), I've been wondering what the difficulty is set to in these videos. It seems like the "border" of the stage is set really far outside the scrolling zone in these boss areas, particularly in the Pokey one. In the Pokey video, I saw Lucas get knocked pretty far out of the scrolling area without dying. It just seemed odd, since the border appears to be set farther out than any of the borders in the Melee stages. I hope this doesn't nerf the difficulty of the bosses too much.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
List of stages

1. Delfino Plaza
2. Mushroomy Kingdom
3. Mario Bros.
4. Luigi's Mansion
5. Rainbow Cruise
6. Mario Circuit
7. Bridge of Eldin
8. Tetra's Ship
9. Hyrule Temple
10. Port Town
11. Big Blue
12. Rumble Falls
13. Warioware
14. Yoshi's Island
15. Yoshi's Island (Melee)
16. Smashville
17. Battlefield
18. Final Destination
19. Onett
20. New Pork City
21. Skyworld
22. Distant Planet
23. Pictochat
24. Electroplankton
25. Corneria
26. Lylat Cruise
27. Green Hill Zone
28. Shadow Moses Island
29. Castle Seige
30. Brinstar
31. Norfair
32. Frigate Orpheon
33. Pokemon Stadium 2
34. Spear Pillar
35. Battleship Halberd
36. The Summit

36 so far I think

webrunner said:
As long as Waveshining and that infinite grab thing are gone, then at least they won't be responsible for banning every stage with a wall or a walk-off-edge

And if most characters have a way of catching up with them somehow without items, then stages with circles won't be banned either.

I noticed Summit seems to have a circle, so it got me concerned
Personally, I don't think shining by itself should be damaging at all, and strictly a defensive move/projectile reflection. That, and maybe Falco's d+air could be scaled back a bit.

Jiggy

I'm wondering where Pokemon Stadium 1 is--why nobody's found it yet--considering that they needn't have changed the name if they just got rid of it. Edit: The name of Pokemon Stadium 2, I mean.

Crushed said:
And I'm still confused as to how LUIGI is a clone now.
Probably the same people who thought Samus and Captain Falcon were clones in SSB64 because they had the same up tilt and neutral air.

There weren't any people like that. I HOPE.

Iam Canadian

It's a nice stage list, but six Mario stages is a bit excessive.

I wouldn't have complained if they excised Mario Bros. and Rainbow Cruise.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Jiggy37 said:
I'm wondering where Pokemon Stadium 1 is, considering that they needn't have changed the name if they just got rid of it.

Probably the same people who thought Samus and Captain Falcon were clones in SSB64 because they had the same up tilt and neutral air.

There weren't any people like that. I HOPE.

Probably cause people expect the Mario Bros to be very similar and its been like that since the first game

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Iam Canadian said:
It's a nice stage list, but six Mario stages is a bit excessive.

I wouldn't have complained if they excised Mario Bros. and Rainbow Cruise.

True...especially since Tetra's Ship is kinda like Cruise

And I would have much rather of had Depths back instead of Brinstar...Norfair is enough and more interesting besides

Firestorm

There's a stage builder video in the j-gaf impression thread. It's one of the gamevideos vids.

What are the new tracks on youtube? I must have missed the link and I'm in class so can't listen anyway.
edit: oh, damn

Iam Canadian

HK-47 said:
True...especially since Tetra's Ship is kinda like Cruise

And I would have much rather of had Depths back instead of Brinstar...Norfair is enough and more interesting besides

Eh...I wasn't really a fan of Brinstar Depths. I mean, Kraid was cool, but the actual level design just irritated the ever-living heck out of me.

Firestorm

Iam Canadian said:
Eh...I wasn't really a fan of Brinstar Depths. I mean, Kraid was cool, but the actual level design just irritated the ever-living heck out of me.

Brinstar Depths was, aside from Flat Zone and Icicle Mountain, the worst stage in the game.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Iam Canadian said:

But it was unique and not something you can duplicate in editor...Norfair = Brinstar = Zebes

webrunner

I'd have liked there to be another Metroid stage instead of Norfair.. Crateria, Tourian, or even something really wacky like Wrecked Ship would be awesome.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
webrunner said:
I'd have liked there to be another Metroid stage instead of Norfair.. Crateria, Tourian, or even something really wacky like Wrecked Ship would be awesome.

Ask Firestorm

edit: FUCK!

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
We could have done without Cruise or Mario Circuit...its essentially a stationary Mute City. The other 4 are terrific though

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom