• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Street Fighter 4 |OT2| BACK OF THE BUS, SAGAT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wiseblade

bigmit3737 said:
I like playing in person better.

I don't know how the crowd thing would affect me though...
Going to play in on of these tourneys in NYC..since I am getting better and more confident at the game.

It's a good idea to start small and build up. I don't think I could have handled making my tournament debut at something the size of EVO.

Also, I think team tournaments are really good for newcomers. They really help to take some of the pressure off. That's how I started.

Culinary

Man, getting used to the stick is rough :\. I'm still trying though. Anybody have tips for hitting all the angles with doing a QCF or HCF? Sometimes I still get shoryuken coming out.

If any scrub gaf want to play I'm up for it. I'm on XBL under: TheCulinary.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
What triggers the 'upload replay' option? I get that a lot...

Yeah it's pretty unnerving the first time you go out to a meet-up to play street fighter. I noticed I didn't rage as much over losses, and took care not to rage smash whoever person's stick I was borrowing at the time...

Still, a lot more civil compared to the old days play SF2 at the arcades. No need to fear getting stabbed by some thug because you've thrown him 3x in a match.

MIMIC

Banned
Is Fuerte's leg throw the ONLY move in the game that punishes only one person (Fuerte) when it trades? :lol

Fix this ish, Capcom! ;_;

And how do you get a B grade in Ranked? I got bored and went up to 4K but I'm still C+. There are people with 3K that have a B rank.

MIMIC said:
Is Fuerte's leg throw the ONLY move in the game that punishes only one person (Fuerte) when it trades? :lol

Fix this ish, Capcom! ;_;

And how do you get a B grade in Ranked? I got bored and went up to 4K but I'm still C+. There are people with 3K that have a B rank.

iirc it's once you hit 5k BP. The chumps that are at B rank with 3kBP just suck ass and lost points (you still maintain the rank however).

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
Culinary said:
Man, getting used to the stick is rough :\. I'm still trying though. Anybody have tips for hitting all the angles with doing a QCF or HCF? Sometimes I still get shoryuken coming out.

If you're still getting SRKs, you're likely hitting the button(s) too early in the QCF/HCF motion. Make absolutely sure you're on forward when you hit the buttons, or even try exaggerating and ending your circular motions on u/f+button.

Also, try not to ride the gate - don't hit the stick all the way to the restrictor plate. You'll know a motion is registering if you feel/hear the click of a microswitch, which happens far closer to center than you'd think. You don't have to go all the way to the edge, which is especially good to keep in mind for motion characters.

Culinary said:

If any scrub gaf want to play I'm up for it. I'm on XBL under: TheCulinary.

I've started using a TE stick a year ago (with huge breaks in between), but I'm still nowhere near my pad execution in terms of the ultra motion and other things. Sure it will work in training mode, but in the heat of a match I always get sloppy and some bullshit comes out. By now I'm starting to doubt this will ever change :(
There's no going back though, it's just more fun than with a controller.

Snaku

Banned
It's been a year since I sold my PS3 to pay for my dad's surgery, and I'm finally diving back in SF4. Watching EVO over the weekend re-sparked the flame, and I got SSF4 earlier today. Unfortunately I can't afford internet at home, so for now I'll just be playing by myself. But once I'm back online, watch out for my Cammy. :D

ExMachina said:
If you're still getting SRKs, you're likely hitting the button(s) too early in the QCF/HCF motion. Make absolutely sure you're on forward when you hit the buttons, or even try exaggerating and ending your circular motions on u/f+button.

Also, try not to ride the gate - don't hit the stick all the way to the restrictor plate. You'll know a motion is registering if you feel/hear the click of a microswitch, which happens far closer to center than you'd think. You don't have to go all the way to the edge, which is especially good to keep in mind for motion characters.
this part is the hardest to learn for us pad-folk. we're so used to ramming on directions that the idea of moving lightly is way outside of muscle memory.

I still suck with a stick, but am slowly getting better...

Has anybody else done C to shining C? I did last week after taking a long break from ssf4. I had fun playing with some characters I thought I would hate. :lol The only characters I actually didn't like were dan and zangief. gief takes too much patience and dan is just a dickhole.

But I still have the problem of not knowing who to main. :lol

MIMIC

Banned
akachan ningen said:
Has anybody else done C to shining C? I did last week after taking a long break from ssf4. I had fun playing with some characters I thought I would hate. :lol The only characters I actually didn't like were dan and zangief. gief takes too much patience and dan is just a dickhole.

Ugh, I'm still only 5 characters in (Blanka, Fuerte, Guile, Zangief, & Ryu)

the_log_ride said:
Yeah it's pretty unnerving the first time you go out to a meet-up to play street fighter. I noticed I didn't rage as much over losses, and took care not to rage smash whoever person's stick I was borrowing at the time...

Still, a lot more civil compared to the old days play SF2 at the arcades. No need to fear getting stabbed by some thug because you've thrown him 3x in a match.

I remember when my friends and I would play...a bunch of thugs would just surround us.
Non-verbally letting us know to step away from the arcade..and then they would resume playing the game we paid for.

-DarKaoZ- said:
Just a heads-up, R.Mika, Rolento and Charlie can be bought as your PSN Avatars.

I leave the speculation to the rest of you guys... :lol

Yeah, but isn't Alpha on the PSN? Putting in Charlie would cause a hole in the little story that's in SFIV. I dunno, extra characters seems kinda out there.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Anyone ever get the execution of a technique down almost perfectly, then start playing one day and you're not able to do it at all? I had karakara down to like 90% but the past few days I haven't been able to do it for shit. It's driving me crazy.

riceandbeans said:
Yeah, but isn't Alpha on the PSN? Putting in Charlie would cause a hole in the little story that's in SFIV. I dunno, extra characters seems kinda out there.

Holes. Gouken...waking up from a long "nap" after getting Shun Goku Satsu (sp). Bison's rebirth after getting "killed" by Akuma in ST.

Let's see. Rose still being there despite the Alpha series.

SF stopped having a coherent story after Alpha2 (Alpha 3 and SFIV messed up the story badly).

I just play some SSF4 on a nice big Sony LCD. Turned all the picture enhancements off and used Game Mode. I can still feel the tv lag compared to the CRT I usually play on.

What TVs are you playing on? I think I'm spoiled by the lagless CRT.

imtehman

Banned
Lost Fragment said:
Anyone ever get the execution of a technique down almost perfectly, then start playing one day and you're not able to do it at all? I had karakara down to like 90% but the past few days I haven't been able to do it for shit. It's driving me crazy.

i use to have vipers FFF down to a T until i stopped playing her and tried other characters, now i can get it about 60 percent of the time?

zon

Lost Fragment said:

Me too, yesterday I could do srk -> fadc -> ultra with ruy and today I think I only managed to do it twice out of 20 attempts. So fucking frustrating.

Culinary

ExMachina said:

Thanks for the advice! I try not to ride the gate, it's hard in matches though. Every week or so I'm able to get down a new technique, so I know I'm getting better. Just have to wade through it. I've started plinking my combos now, makes things alot easier, but hard to integrate at first.

Coeliacus

Lost Fragment said:
I have this problem with kara kara. I start getting it fine on one side, then start practicing it on the other and following can't do it on either. Makoto execution is a rough ride and as you try any of them shenanigans they sidestep with something really simple like jump/backdash. Learning her is discouraging, but I have no interest in anyone else.

Myomoto said:
Yes, but it typically evens out some of the generally lower tiered characters.
Some of the low tiered characters have the worst matchups :-(

How do I beat Guile with Dudley other than chip wins with jab Ducking Straight?

MIMIC said:
Cool. Thanks.

It actually tells you how many points to the next level if you check player data on the main screen.

Culinary said:
Thanks for the advice! I try not to ride the gate, it's hard in matches though. Every week or so I'm able to get down a new technique, so I know I'm getting better. Just have to wade through it. I've started plinking my combos now, makes things alot easier, but hard to integrate at first.

The best way is not to worry about speed at first. Start out slow and very deliberate, consciously aware of the motion, thinking about it as you do it. After a while it'll click and you'll be able to do it in a flick of the wrist. Then you can start throwing it out on reaction.

Don't worry about getting the crap beat out of you while learning, this game is an ongoing process of taking your lumps to break the barrier to the next level of skill.

Axis

BotoxAgent said:
ggs man....although the lag was horrible....it was still fun playing around with different characters

my friend was on the laptop being retarded...luckily it only lagged here and there

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
akachan ningen said:

Wow, you did the whole cast already? I have Hakan, Ibuki, T.Hawk and Cody at C but haven't really touched the rest.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
_tetsuo_ said:
Yes indeed :)
Fuckin' nice. I'm so sad that the quality of my streams suck due to the limitations of 1mbps upload on Road Runner.

I would pay a high price for FiOS (or for any other company to install fiber to the home). Unfortunately, there aren't enough people like me in my market :(

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
RapidCancel said:
Do you guys do fight night every Tuesday? Maybe I should mosey on up to north side sometime if you do..

Ya every Tuesday, starts about 8. Free to get in.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Somebody posted the original blog on a Team Spooky stream I just had to run into. Whatever it was, it was pretty disturbing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom