• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Surfer Girl Rumors – What's True, What's False, and What's Unconfirmed

Shiggy

III) Big Huge Games Wii title is God the Game

--> Looks like a 'Yes' to me:
http://wii.ign.com/objects/142/14228499.html

5) No Wave Race, Luigi's Mansion's 2, Excitebike (it's called Nitrobike) or 1080 for Wii. Punch-Out for Wii, if it has gone beyond the prototype that was made last year, is a remake of the original NES title.

--> The "No" had been crossed out:
http://softrockhallelujah.blogspot.com/2007_11_04_archive.html

20) Factor 5 would like to develop for Wii, but there are not any concrete plans for a title.

That one was changed too:

DuckRacer

Shiggy said:
III) Big Huge Games Wii title is God the Game

--> Looks like a 'Yes' to me:
http://wii.ign.com/objects/142/14228499.html

5) No Wave Race, Luigi's Mansion's 2, Excitebike (it's called Nitrobike) or 1080 for Wii. Punch-Out for Wii, if it has gone beyond the prototype that was made last year, is a remake of the original NES title.

--> The "No" had been crossed out:

20) Factor 5 would like to develop for Wii, but there are not any concrete plans for a title.

That one was changed too:
Surfer Guy changes things in his blog posts all the time so I don't want to change everything around on my end. Plus it's helpful when you try to compare and find anything he's backed off of.

Thanks for that God the Game link though, I've edited the OP to include that. :)

Shiggy

Duck said:
Surfer Guy changes things in his blog posts all the time so I don't want to change everything around on my end. Plus it's helpful when you try to compare and find anything he's backed off of.

Thanks for that God the Game link though, I've edited the OP to include that. :)

I looked through all the rumors and it's a tough job to do that. So I'll let you do it :p
Kudos for the work!

DuckRacer

Shiggy said:
I looked through all the rumors and it's a tough job to do that. So I'll let you do it :p
Kudos for the work!
Thanks, I dunno if anyone has noticed but a few weeks ago I cleaned up the unconfirmed rumors section a ton, moving and removing things left and right. It's using three posts instead of four now. :p

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
The blog is gone completely. So basically this thread is all that is left of the Surfergirl rumors.

4) Apparently, N-Space is no longer Nintendo's Floridian inamorata.
3) When is The Sims 3 coming out?
Currently scheduled for February 2009 around the ninth anniversary of the release of The Sims.
I suppose these are true/coming true. Sims is schedule for February 2009 and Nintendo seems to have bailed on N-space
3) Three Wario games are in development.
2 of the 3 have been announced so far (Wario Land Shake and the New Warioware mario paint thing)
1) Nintendo's new handheld will see release in late 2009.
This one is likely to be true for NA

There are alot of confirmed rumors and alot of unconfirmed being dubbed false.

GH4 tracklist rumor is false yet Nintendo's new handheld rumor is somewhat true if you consider DSi a new handheld.

These are true IMO:

2) Afrika is a "nonviolent game" with "positive social themes." Something certain to appease those who have always wanted to spell doom to fictional poachers without violence."

1) Activision hopes you like Spider-Man, the company is producing two further web-slinging titles in addition to this fall's ultimate Red vs. Black, one follows our wall-crawling friend as he teams up with Wolverine for amazing some reason and the other I don't know about but has to be spectacular. Originality! Excelsior!
4) Infinity Ward has begun working on Call of Duty 6. Originality! Excelsior!
And these.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
22) Super Punch-Out! is coming to Virtual Console [in 2008].

It might not come in 2008 but it is coming to the VC. In good faith she probably heard it was being tested/worked on; Nintendo doesn't even have their release schedule done far enough in advance that anyone would be able to know that it was in 2008 for sure.

2) Afrika is a "nonviolent game" with "positive social themes." Something certain to appease those who have always wanted to spell doom to fictional poachers without violence

Well, Afrika turned out nonviolent

2) Also coming next year from Backbone Entertainment is a version of Gauntlet for the DS, the hack-and-slash adventure will support the Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection for multiplayer with up to four players. Gauntlet will also make an appearance on Nintendo's other system in the same timeframe.

I have no idea about the Wii one or if it has WiFi, but Backbone did Gauntlet for this fall so I assume this is mostly right.

3) BioWare Austin's first massively-multiplayer role playing game, coming 2009, has a fantasy setting akin to the company's previous fantasy role playing games, possibly based on the intellectual property those fantasy role playing games revolved around. As previously mentioned, this is not related to Star Wars, BioWare Edmonton is working on that one. But the new Star Wars MMO, tentatively slated for the latter half of 2009 (possibly coinciding with the premiere of the Star Wars TV series), is in development elsewhere. LucasArts may have a second MMO up its sleeves as well.

I think she misread Dragon Age as an MMO, but that is a description of Dragon Age, and the new Star Wars MMO is next year.

2) What is this new Blizzard MMO?
Demons, the Blizz don't do new IP.

Definitely a misreading of Diablo 3 as an MMO.

9) At least one 360 SKU with built-in WiFi will be out later this year.

Nope.

2) Anyone looking for an indicator of what they will see in The Sims 3 ... [will] have to wait until the 17th. Simultaneous Mac release...what?

This is false because whether or not there ends up being a simultaneous mac release, it hasn't been announced.

1) A little title called The Godfather II will feature a deep online component somewhat akin to Grand Theft Auto IV.

Godfather II was announced, but there was no mention so far of online stuff.

shagg_187 said:
and this.

Why is the Activision spiderman one false?

DuckRacer

grandjedi and shagg, thanks for your suggestions. I haven't updated the thread for over two months, and thus I'm planning on doing so sometime soon.

Shiggy

8) Neither of n-Space's two Wii titles stars a ghost. However, they are even more ambitious than that ghost game and far better. One features a temple level that looks like it was swiped out of Red Steel and the other more ambitious title features an alien reptilian creature who bares quite a resemblance to Ganondorf. I'd be surprised if either sees release before March 2009.

This one was true at that time:
http://goneisgone.blogspot.com/2008/09/n-space-wii-game.html

Shiggy

leroy hacker said:
This has been true since the release of Geist, long before Surfer Girl ever blogged.

Nope, there were two Wii games in development, published by Nintendo.

"3) Codemasters is publishing a Hollywood simulation akin to the The Movies."
--> True: You're in the Movies

Shiggy

So I think I know who Surfergirl was. That person has been a recruiter at a certain company who checked people's resumes. If people wanted to get a job, that person could easily ask for their recent stuff.
It's amazing what you can find in people's online resumes.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Spider_Jerusalem said:
But a recruiter could access reserved screenshots too? She/he nailed the POP ones, when noone knew about Elika and everyone thought they were fake...

I actually came into this thread looking for those, anyone have them?

Spider_Jerusalem said:
But a recruiter could access reserved screenshots too? She/he nailed the POP ones, when noone knew about Elika and everyone thought they were fake...

That and the global nature of the rumours didnt suggest someone in recruitment (whose 'insider info' would be more likely to be related to their country of operation, outside of the occasional immigrant).

It would seem much more likely they were involved in either PR / Press, or at a stretch Investment (big shareholders for various companies and serious potential investors see all sorts of NDAed materials on upcoming projects by publishers to persuade them to splash the cash)

RobertM

Sadly this never came true, no fucking vehicles whatsoever.
necg7o.jpg

Shiggy

Spider_Jerusalem said:

Well, if I were a recruiter I could have gotten them. Even if I wasn't, I probably could have. Most of her posted material you could either find via Google on the artist's pages or if you simply mailed them.
It's amazing what you can find on developer's personal pages. For her information you do not need to be a "high-up".

w3stfa11

grandjedi6 said:
The blog is gone completely. So basically this thread is all that is left of the Surfergirl rumors.

I cached some of the blog using Furl. I can supply the blog upon request. That is, if DuckRacer hasn't already backed it up.

Sloane

Banned
7) Watch out Mario Kart because Electronic Arts racing to the finish line [in 2008] with MySims: Racers for the Wii and DS.
True. Well, in 2009 but whatever.

Just saw the website and immediately remembered it to be a Surfer Girl rumor. :lol

gabe90

I miss Surfer Girl. I remember not believing it to be credible, and then being so pleasantly surprised time and time again.

Now with Q-Man gone due to EGM closing, we hardly have any sources for rumors...

MrNyarlathotep said:
That and the global nature of the rumours didnt suggest someone in recruitment (whose 'insider info' would be more likely to be related to their country of operation, outside of the occasional immigrant).

It would seem much more likely they were involved in either PR / Press, or at a stretch Investment (big shareholders for various companies and serious potential investors see all sorts of NDAed materials on upcoming projects by publishers to persuade them to splash the cash)
I am fairly certain that Surfer Girl was operating primarily based on extensive use of Google, as well as comprehensive poring over resumes, LinkedIn, and so on--and then the notoriety of the site caused additional rumors to be mailed in directly. I do not think Surfer Girl was part of the actual industry in any significant way. I am extremely confident about that overall appraisal.

DuckRacer

w3stfa11 said:
I cached some of the blog using Furl. I can supply the blog upon request. That is, if DuckRacer hasn't already backed it up.
All I have backed up is the OP in various text files.
Sloane said:
True. Well, in 2009 but whatever.

Just saw the website and immediately remembered it to be a Surfer Girl rumor. :lol
Haha. Will add.

I forgot about this thread. Time to update rumors!

Shapingo

Sorry to bump this but I found these rumors

- new 80gb ps3 bundled with 2 games will be launched at the end of march.it will cost 399$.
- new 40gb ps3 sku will be launched this may. the cost will be 299$.
- psp slide will be shown for the first time in this year's e3.the launch is next year.
- the currently available psp model will get price cut too. the cost will be 119$.
- Fumito Ueda will be there in GDC09.he will announce 2 projects.one of them is shadow of the colossus online.
- syphon filter is underway to ps3.apparently the developers are using the same engine behind Killzone2.
- insomniacs are developing new action platformer RPG.it looks like zelda clone.
- jak 4 is on the way too.
- daxter 2 will be on ready at the time of PSP slide launch.
- legend of dragoon is under development and is to be launched in japan this year.

Take with a grain of salt, from a supposed Sony employee.

Lakitu

st5fu
Shapingo said:

- new 80gb ps3 bundled with 2 games will be launched at the end of march.it will cost 399$.
- psp slide will be shown for the first time in this year's e3.the launch is next year.
- the currently available psp model will get price cut too. the cost will be 119$.
- Fumito Ueda will be there in GDC09.he will announce 2 projects.one of them is shadow of the colossus online.
- syphon filter is underway to ps3.apparently the developers are using the same engine behind Killzone2.
- insomniacs are developing new action platformer RPG.it looks like zelda clone.
- legend of dragoon is under development and is to be launched in japan this year.

Credibility gone.

Do not want.
Want.

Euphor!a

Banned
I doubt it is talking about an MMO, I believe the original concept in SotC was to have some sort of co-op option where multiple people would take down a single colossus but it never made it. On the off-chance it is true it is probably just that.

Dabanton

SotC online lol i can see it now people fighting over the best horses and shooting teammates off the colossi so they can kill it first. :lol

Surreal

stuburns said:
SotC online can not be true. The whole point of that game would be utterly murdered by an MMO.

Yeah, if something as far fetched as that was true it'd validate the whole list. :lol

Shapingo said:

Nope.

Although I would buy an HD-remixed SotC 'Extended Edition' (with the colossus count bumped up to the originally planned 24, new strategies for the original colossi, new map areas) for a high price.

I just want to hear about what Ueda is doing now as a new project, but I don't expect that until TGS (E3 at the earliest) despite the fact that he'll be at GDC. I would love to be wrong. :D

StuBurns

Banned
Thing is, I'm sure lots of people have heard that rumor that they have two games in-development.

I don't believe SotC Online at all, but two new games doesn't seem impossible.

JCX

SotC onloine doesn't even imply MMO.

The first thing that came to my mind is an online-co-op game. that is basically sotc with new colossi and strategies designed for multiple players.

StuBurns

Banned
JCX said:
SotC onloine doesn't even imply MMO.
It doesn't? The vast majority of games with the moniker 'online' is an MMO. Co-op games almost never (possible never, not sure) include any reference to that function in the game.

Rayne.S

Banned

Haven't heard anything about any of those rumors in the hallways...

stuburns said:
Thing is, I'm sure lots of people have heard that rumor that they have two games in-development.

I don't believe SotC Online at all, but two new games doesn't seem impossible.

I can't imagine two full blown games with a team that size- especially considering how meticulous Ueda is with details...

Ueda's new disc based game and possibly a small, obscure PSN game seems possible. That combination would be fantastic, although I wouldn't be against an original PSP title (which has been hinted at forever).

I don't care what anyone thinks

I need more solve - climb - stab gameplay and I need it now

Of course I don't own a PS3 so who cares what I think

SotC Portable Please :)

Top Bottom