• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Surfer Girl Rumors – What's True, What's False, and What's Unconfirmed

StuBurns

Banned
TheJollyCorner said:
I can't imagine two full blown games with a team that size- especially considering how meticulous Ueda is with details...

Ueda's new disc based game and possibly a small, obscure PSN game seems possible. That combination would be fantastic, although I wouldn't be against an original PSP title (which has been hinted at forever).

Yeah, I was under the impression the other game was a PSN title that has some interaction to the retail game. But who knows, maybe there isn't even really a second game. Most the time I think these rumors are completely baseless, purely what the person thinks would be cool.

The SoTC online rumor just comes from SoTC originally being an online game before Ueda decided to focus on a single character

ico2_leaked_042903_04.jpg

ico2_leaked_042903_07.jpg

ico2_leaked_042903_02.jpg

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
I know this topic just got megabumped, but re: the convo happening last fall, about who surfer guy/girl was, I'll say this -

I crossed over from games journalism into bizdev / ad sales, and the first thing that struck me is is that I'm SHOCKED there aren't 10X more leaks coming out of this side of the business.

Sales individuals sling around unannounced titles extremely casually. Probably because they don't know (or care) that the game is in fact unannounced. I began managing the ad space on a handful of game websites, and I would get calls regularly (I'd say once a week) that generally were like "Hey, we have this FPS (or RTS, or platformer) that's releasing in Nov. - here's a fact sheet on it. Does this match your demographics? Do you have ad space available between these dates?"

...and probably 7 times out of 10 the game would be some sequel or new IP that hadn't been announced yet, because ad lead times are very extreme - the ads are sold months in advance.

My hypothesis about why more of this doesn't leak out is because these sales people are hired to be good at SALES - not to be good at "videogame knowledge." They could sell game ads one day, and Teen Cosmo ads the next. The subject matter doesn't interest them. So when they see "Kid Icarus Wii" (or whatever) cross their desk it means nothing to them. They just know they need to hit Teen males with it.

Sporty

Neo Member
The 80G with 2 games model has already been announced. Probably the Target with Motorstorm and Resistance bundle.

But that info has been out a week longer then the rumor post. So doesn't mean jack for credibility on the other rumors.

But I kinda miss Surfer Girl also, even if I didn't believe half of the rumors they were still fun to read about.

drakesfortune

Directions: Pull String For Uninformed Rant
Dabanton said:
SotC online lol i can see it now people fighting over the best horses and shooting teammates off the colossi so they can kill it first. :lol

LarryDavid.jpg

Well I know someone I won't be playing SotC online with. :D

StuBurns

Banned
GDJustin said:
I crossed over from games journalism into bizdev / ad sales, and the first thing that struck me is is that I'm SHOCKED there aren't 10X more leaks coming out of this side of the business.
I'm constantly stunned that more stuff isn't leaked.

There are nearly a thousand people working on the next GTA (that's just speculation based on GTA4) and we have no idea what it is, really? Not one of them has let it slip? That's insane to me. They know it'd never be tracked back to them if they just told some random kid in a game shop.

Htown said:
Multiplayer and an MMO is totally different.

The things about MMO are the things that would hurt the game. The UI and millions of characters everywhere. 2 to 4 player, just voice chat would be amazing. But I doubt that'd warrant the name 'Online'.

stuburns said:
Multiplayer and an MMO is totally different.

The things about MMO are the things that would hurt the game. The UI and millions of characters everywhere. 2 to 4 player, just voice chat would be amazing. But I doubt that'd warrant the name 'Online'.

Phantasy Star Online.

StuBurns

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
Phantasy Star Online.
True, that's one. One from a long time ago. Before MMOs were massive. At that time online co-op was as online as it got.

I don't think SotC Online is true, but if it is, and it's named that way, and it's just co-op, I will be utterly stunned. I'd ban bet it for sure.

MarkusRJR

Aru said:
The most unbelievable rumor is not SotC online.
It's the return of Legend of Dragoon :O
Yeah. If that's true I'll be buying one of them 40gb $300 PS3's. I have so much nostalgia for Legend of Dragoon on PS1.

stuburns said:
True, that's one. One from a long time ago. Before MMOs were massive. At that time online co-op was as online as it got.

I don't think SotC Online is true, but if it is, and it's named that way, and it's just co-op, I will be utterly stunned. I'd ban bet it for sure.

You've also got Metal Gear Online. Just because something is has online in the title doesn't automatically mean it'd be a MMO.

StuBurns

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
You've also got Metal Gear Online. Just because something is has online in the title doesn't automatically mean it'd be a MMO.
Yeah that's true. Although that's more of an IP name of a subsection of MGS3, MPO and MGS4. The MGS4 iteration was the first to actually be a solo product, and even then only in Japan, and it was still in the game. It's an 'online' mode of a game.

thuway

Shapingo said:
Sorry to bump this but I found these rumors

- new 80gb ps3 bundled with 2 games will be launched at the end of march.it will cost 399$.
- new 40gb ps3 sku will be launched this may. the cost will be 299$.
- psp slide will be shown for the first time in this year's e3.the launch is next year.
- the currently available psp model will get price cut too. the cost will be 119$.
- Fumito Ueda will be there in GDC09.he will announce 2 projects.one of them is shadow of the colossus online.
- syphon filter is underway to ps3.apparently the developers are using the same engine behind Killzone2.
- insomniacs are developing new action platformer RPG.it looks like zelda clone.
- jak 4 is on the way too.
- daxter 2 will be on ready at the time of PSP slide launch.
- legend of dragoon is under development and is to be launched in japan this year.

Take with a grain of salt, from a supposed Sony employee.

I hope the two game bundle she is mentioning is not Resistance 1 / Motorstorm.

DO want all the rest. ESPECIALLY the Insomniac Action RPG :D :D.

thaOwner

Shapingo said:

- new 80gb ps3 bundled with 2 games will be launched at the end of march.it will cost 399$.
- psp slide will be shown for the first time in this year's e3.the launch is next year.
- the currently available psp model will get price cut too. the cost will be 119$.
- Fumito Ueda will be there in GDC09.he will announce 2 projects.one of them is shadow of the colossus online.
- syphon filter is underway to ps3.apparently the developers are using the same engine behind Killzone2.
- insomniacs are developing new action platformer RPG.it looks like zelda clone.
- jak 4 is on the way too.
- daxter 2 will be on ready at the time of PSP slide launch.
- legend of dragoon is under development and is to be launched in japan this year.

Amazing how so much bullshit( with the exception of a few) can be packed into a single post.

EXGN

I guess the validity of these rumors will be tested next week at GDC. Will Fumito essentially confirm these rumors by announcing his SOTC HD and new project? Or will he just talk about game design like he's supposed to? Find out next time, on Dragonball Z!

J-Rzez

Shapingo said:

Those bundles/skus won't do jack shit. They need to get much closer to the 360's price to make a positive move.

Syphon Filter, please, please model it off of Dark Mirror.

To be honest, Ratchet basically had RPG elements so it's not surprising. It would be killer if they would mate Zelda and Diablo.

MoogPaul

If true, something else must be different in those two SKUs. The difference between a 40gig hard drive and an 80 gig one is not 100 dollars in cost.

MoogPaul said:
If true, something else must be different in those two SKUs. The difference between a 40gig hard drive and an 80 gig one is not 100 dollars in cost.

You're also getting two games with the 80gb version.

Dementia

Oh man, I would kill for a PSN version of Shadow of the Colossus (hopefully that's what she means by "online," rather than online multiplayer). It looks soo good, but I still have not gotten the chance to play it since I never owned a PS2.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
SolidSnakex said:
The SoTC online rumor just comes from SoTC originally being an online game before Ueda decided to focus on a single character

ico2_leaked_042903_04.jpg

ico2_leaked_042903_07.jpg

ico2_leaked_042903_02.jpg

From what I know it was not an online game. You could simply switch from one character to the next, and the AI would control the other ones.

DuckRacer

Yeah, that 40GB SKU rumor basically invalidates the entire thing. Sony with their troubled finances aren't going to release a cheaper SKU that possibly costs more (because of making 40GB HDD) than what they have now.

I wouldn't mind a $120 PSP though.

DuckRacer said:
Yeah, that 40GB SKU rumor basically invalidates the entire thing. Sony with their troubled finances aren't going to release a cheaper SKU that possibly costs more (because of making 40GB HDD) than what they have now.

I wouldn't mind a $120 PSP though.

They could take the 80 GB HDDs and format them in a way that only 40GB are accessible.

Ether_Snake said:
From what I know it was not an online game. You could simply switch from one character to the next, and the AI would control the other ones.

It definitely was about multiplayer

EGM: Before you even began working on Shadow, you showed a teaser trailer for the project, which was called "Nico" at the time. In that video, multiple characters on horseback battled a giant creature. Was multiplayer gameplay ever considered?

FU: What you saw in that video was something that we were considering at that time in the development cycle, but we later decided to focus on having just one hero who must overcome these colossi in order to triumph. I still have that multiplayer concept in my mind, of course....

http://www.1up.com/do/feature?cId=3145476

StuBurns

Banned
Benjamin1981 said:
They could take the 80 GB HDDs and format them in a way that only 40GB are accessible.
They could never do this because we'd know and they'd get an insane amount of shit for it. And it's fucking stupid.

DMeisterJ

Banned
PSP SLIDE would be cool as he'll, could invigorate PSP sales, as would the healthy price cut since Nintendo is raising the DS Price.

40 GB PS3 would be cool too. @ 299 sales would be nice. Then bolster the 80 GB PS3 with b/c and/or games + controller.

But that's just a fanboy wet dream.

Mrbob

If Sony decides to format their 80GB hdds (currently biggest single platter notebook drive) to make them 40GB to increase perceived value of another sku, I'm giving up on them this generation. An 80GB notebook hdd costs less than a 40gb notebook drive nowadays. In fact, I don't even think anything smaller than an 80gb drive is manufactured now.

Drop the 80 to $299 sony. Stop dicking around.

stuburns said:
They could never do this because we'd know and they'd get an insane amount of shit for it. And it's fucking stupid.

MS did it with the original XBox too.

If it is cheaper to reformat the 80GB HDDs than to buy 40GB HDDs than Sony will do it, no matter what GAF may think of it.

DuckRacer

Benjamin1981 said:
MS did it with the original XBox too.

If it is cheaper to reformat the 80GB HDDs than to buy 40GB HDDs than Sony will do it, no matter what GAF may think of it.
Yeah, but why even reformat them in the first place? All you're doing is limiting the value of the system, period.

Mrbob

Exactly...it would cost sony more time and money to take an 80gb hdd and format it to a 40gb than to leave it be. So hopefully they aren't stupid enough to do something like this.

DuckRacer said:
Yeah, but why even reformat them in the first place? All you're doing is limiting the value of the system, period.

Somehow they have to differentiate the new 40GB SKU from the 80GB SKU. HDD capacity is the only logical way,they can't take out the Blu Ray drive or Wifi.

StuBurns

Banned
Benjamin1981 said:
Somehow they have to differentiate the new 40GB SKU from the 80GB SKU. HDD capacity is the only logical way,they can't take out the Blu Ray drive or Wifi.
So? Why change the harddrives instead of keeping the 80s as 80s considering that SKU will still be around?

stuburns said:
So? Why change the harddrives instead of keeping the 80s as 80s considering that SKU will still be around?

Just to have a cheaper SKU for marketing reasons. So Sony can have ads that say "Now for 299".

StuBurns

Banned
Benjamin1981 said:
Just to have a cheaper SKU for marketing reasons. So Sony can have ads that say "Now for 299".
No, I totally get why to do a 40GB SKU. I don't see why they would reformat any of the existing unsold units to make them the 40GB SKU instead of just producing new harddrives because the 80GBs will still be on sale.

All that would achieve is wasting future profits, and a lot of man hours to do it.

Top Bottom