• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Surfer Girl Rumors – What's True, What's False, and What's Unconfirmed

Grecco said:
Competing with a MGS4 PS3 bundle right.

Not really. I mean if someone wants both games they'll just buy a bundle and then purchase the other games. So it's a winning situation for both of them and Sony.

Mrbob

Duck said:
It could be for Europe only since they aren't getting the MGS4 bundle like America and Japan.

Would be dumb to not have a GTA4 bundle in NA as well.

Absolutely hilarious if true, but I'll believe it when I see it.

Rayne.S

Banned
Europe news, i rarely get the wind of US stuff happening.

GTA 4 preorder voucher ( 500 points ) for the impending add-on is in the works. Not that new to the US, but huge news in europa.

Rayne.S

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
Not really. I mean if someone wants both games they'll just buy a bundle and then purchase the other games. So it's a winning situation for both of them and Sony.

Well, most bundle deals are on a first and only order. One shipment and thats it.

GT5 Prologue Bundle @ 399 ( march )

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Rayne.S said:
Europe news, i rarely get the wind of US stuff happening.

GTA 4 preorder voucher ( 500 points ) for the impending add-on is in the works. Not that new to the US, but huge news in europa.
Game has been running this promotion with their pre-orders for atleast a month.

kenta

Has no PEINS
A month after the game's release? I know GTA games have legs and all but that seems a little belated. Day-and-date would be what I'd consider huge, I don't know about this

Assuming it's true... I wonder why the delay. Also, not sure why MS wouldn't bundle it either (though I'm sure retailers will be offering it in their own bundles.)

xaosslug

if I were a 3rd party releasing the next game in a HUGHass series, with a somewhat respected pedigree, I wouldn't want to be tied to 360's hardware issues in the minds of prospective buyers, either. ;P

neptunes

why were they quick to announce the MGS4 bundle and not this "GTA4 bundle"?

and the MGS4 one isn't comming out until june.

neptunes said:
why were they quick to announce the MGS4 bundle and not this "GTA4 bundle"?

and the MGS4 one isn't comming out until june.

If that GTA4 bundle isn't coming out the same day as the actual game, wouldn't it make more sense to hype a bundle that will be available the same day as the game its packaged with?

Sorry for my ignorance, but why is a bundle that big a deal? I always thought bundles were a way of shoring certain software numbers, I don't see that as a coup or anything... unless sony/R* plan on basically giving the game away for free, but they're not doing it with MGS, so I doubt it.

Mefisutoferesu said:
Sorry for my ignorance, but why is a bundle that big a deal? I always thought bundles were a way of shoring certain software numbers, I don't see that as a coup or anything... unless sony/R* plan on basically giving the game away for free, but they're not doing it with MGS, so I doubt it.

You know those legendary fence-sitters? It could push those guys in the direction of the all-in-one solution.

xaosslug said:
if I were a 3rd party releasing the next game in a HUGHass series, with a somewhat respected pedigree, I wouldn't want to be tied to 360's hardware issues in the minds of prospective buyers, either. ;P
I know you're joking... but it wouldn't be an issue with the new machines anyway.

harSon

Banned
AltogetherAndrews said:
You know those legendary fence-sitters? It could push those guys in the direction of the all-in-one solution.

As opposed to getting the system and game separately for nearly the same price.

DuckRacer

http://softrockhallelujah.blogspot.com/2008/03/i-am-big-its-pictures-that-got-small.html
1) A little title called The Godfather II will feature a deep online component somewhat akin to Grand Theft Auto IV.
2) Up until sometime last year, Mass Media was working on ports of Saint's Row and The Outfit, for Wii and PSP, respectively.
3) Some more about L.A. Noire:

* Team Bondi's goal is to have every NPC in the city feature a distinct personality and different knowledge sets
* The game is not being funded by Sony, who dropped the title (Phil Harrison and Brendan McNamara can't stand each other, McNamara & Company's tendency to miss milestones did not help either, but had very little to do with Phil's decision), there is nothing stopping a 360 release.
* The amount of music in the primarily jazz soundtrack is "comparable to GTA."
* The detecting mechanics are described as "an analysisfest" to which reaction has been polarizing, one calling the detective elements "fatally boring" and another remarking that the mechanics are "absolutely innovative." The former dubs the game "Assassin's Creed: Noir Edition" and the latter went on about "investigating the social structure of 1947 Los Angeles."
Finally, information about at least some of the crimes you will be investigate in the game can be found here.

Mindlog

My hype for LA Noire is ridiculous. I can only be disappointed, but I'll reserve my copy eventually.

Need more Saboteur info.

Mindlog said:
My hype for LA Noire is ridiculous. I can only be disappointed, but I'll reserve my copy eventually.

Need more Saboteur info.

Sounds absolutely amazing. It all comes down to which writers they crib off of. Are they going Thompson/Chandler or Ellroy?

(Please Be The First One)

Busty

Banned
pswii60 said:
Hang on, now she's saying LA Noire is coming to 360?

Wasn't it only a few months ago that she said the game won't be coming to 360 because it uses too much disc space?

She's always contradicting herself.

Increasingly SurferGirl is trying to back peddle for things that 'she' claimed earlier and are now blatantly unture.

For example, she said that 'Ready At Dawn's next title would be for the PS3'. Then, when she claimed that RAD would make a multiformat game she tried to spin it saying that she never explicitly said that RAD were making a first/second party game.

Whatever sources she has had clearly left her. She now relies on tips that are e-mailed into her blog from various 'sources' and frankly, they aren't worth the font they are written in.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Busty said:
Increasingly SurferGirl is trying to back peddle for things that 'she' claimed earlier and are now blatantly unture.

For example, she said that 'Ready At Dawn's next title would be for the PS3'. Then, when she claimed that RAD would make a multiformat game she tried to spin it saying that she never explicitly said that RAD were making a first/second party game.

Whatever sources she has had clearly left her. She now relies on tips that are e-mailed into her blog from various 'sources' and frankly, they aren't worth the font they are written in.

There's a pretty big leap in logic between her backpeddling and her no longer having sources.

An infinitely more likely scenario based on her record: the claims she backpeddled were true at the time, but changed. Most companies scrap dozens of projects at the transition from approved pitch to pre-production work. Still other projects are restarted from scratch or cancelled during pre-production or early production.

I do think she sensationalizes a good deal of info (source tells her "a concept for <y> was approved at studio x", she reports "studio x is working on <y>".

In the case of the Ready at Dawn thing, either of two possibilities make sense: either it was reported to her as a PS3 title, or it was originally or at some point a ps3 title before being multiplatform.

I just think that there's a huge distinction between a bullshit claim, and an accurate claim that ends up changing. If she says "EA are going to announce a title next week", if they don't announce that title it doesn't necessarily mean she's wrong. It just means either she's wrong or EA changing their plans for that title's announcement.

Obviously some of her sources are low-level employees who are over-eager and report stuff that is wrong... but based on the number of correct things she's written, I'm not sure why anyone would be saying that this person doesn't have genuine industry connections.

cedric69

gbovo said:
I don't think size would be a hindrance to porting MGS4 if Konami reeaaaaally wanted to do it (they'd have to gimp it to hell though).
As a PS3 owner, bought more or less specifically for MGS4, I'd just like to point out that these "gimped as hell" theories are total BS. We don't know how those GBs are going to be used, hence these "gimped" claims are completely baseless.

Busty

Banned
Stumpokapow said:
There's a pretty big leap in logic between her backpeddling and her no longer having sources.

An infinitely more likely scenario based on her record: the claims she backpeddled were true at the time, but changed. Most companies scrap dozens of projects at the transition from approved pitch to pre-production work. Still other projects are restarted from scratch or cancelled during pre-production or early production.

I do think she sensationalizes a good deal of info (source tells her "a concept for <y> was approved at studio x", she reports "studio x is working on <y>".

In the case of the Ready at Dawn thing, either of two possibilities make sense: either it was reported to her as a PS3 title, or it was originally or at some point a ps3 title before being multiplatform.

I just think that there's a huge distinction between a bullshit claim, and an accurate claim that ends up changing. If she says "EA are going to announce a title next week", if they don't announce that title it doesn't necessarily mean she's wrong. It just means either she's wrong or EA changing their plans for that title's announcement.

Obviously some of her sources are low-level employees who are over-eager and report stuff that is wrong... but based on the number of correct things she's written, I'm not sure why anyone would be saying that this person doesn't have genuine industry connections.

A good point. But effectively your point boils down to "woulda-coulda-shoulda".

There's no point in speculating over the minutia of how she may or may not gather her information. There are facts to this argument.

She has a blog. Fact. She writes things on this blog. Fact. Frequently these things are not based on actual facts but mere half truths, whisper and spcualtion. Fact.

It's her blog. She writes things in a manner that leaves them open to interpretation. So that, if something doesn't pan out, she can blatantly spin her own words.

Whether it's a published article or an anonymous blog. The things she writes should be taken at face value.

2) Up until sometime last year, Mass Media was working on ports of Saint's Row and The Outfit, for Wii and PSP, respectively.

Wtf.

I honestly cannot comprehend a situation in which that is actually true, I mean, it just seems to, random.

I guess they were doing it to get it on all consoles (PS3 version too...) and build a franchise that they could release on everything but still.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Busty said:
A good point. But effectively your point boils down to "woulda-coulda-shoulda". There's no point in speculating over the minutia of how she may or may not gather her information. There are facts to this argument. She has a blog. Fact. She writes things on this blog. Fact. Frequently these things are not based on actual facts but mere half truths, whisper and spcualtion. Fact.

The fact you omitted is that she has a better record of leaking announcements and information than any other game industry figure in the last half-decade. If she's right 30% of the time, then it should not be notable that she's wrong 70% of the time but rather than she's ten times more right than any other commentator.

DuckRacer

http://softrockhallelujah.blogspot.com/2008/03/step-to-rythem-of-sho-nuff-winner.html
1) Starcraft was originally going to be a Star Wars title, but the Lucas camp rejected the idea. So the Blizz just had to rip off draw inspiration from some other source.

2) Turns out Namco Bandai is quite fond of my taxonomic abilities. Deft folks in marketing, I shall help you with naming the inevitable localization of Namco Carnival, so here's a few suggestions: We Party, Let's Play, Let's Party, or Amy Winehouse Trades Crack for Acid and Designs a Video Game.

3) Coming this holiday season is Raving Rabbids 3, presumably with less Pikachu clouds and seemingly less Rayman is in the title.

4) The Digipen alumni at NST's current Wii title is an action game apparently featuring many lasers that is shaping up to be better than Project H.A.M.M.E.R., fairly original too.

5) In case you are wondering why Treyarch's Call of Duty 5 is an historical shooter, it started production following the completion of Call of Duty 3 (which Activision assured Infinity Ward would not be called Call of Duty 3 and would be a spin-off rather than an entry in the main series because they respected the work of Infinity Ward so much) when Call of Duty 4 was still a year from completion and not too many at Activision were confident that this modern warfare thing was going to be successful. Yes, unlike the nine month cycle for both Call of Duty 2: Big Red One and Call of Duty 3, the development of Call of Duty 5 is about two years long, so expect this to be far better their previous attempts.
:lol @ her second rumor after she backpedalled when Cheer Squad was announced.

Dascu

4) The Digipen alumni at NST's current Wii title is an action game apparently featuring many lasers that is shaping up to be better than Project H.A.M.M.E.R., fairly original too.
This sounds interesting.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
1) Starcraft was originally going to be a Star Wars title, but the Lucas camp rejected the idea. So the Blizz just had to rip off draw inspiration from some other source.
Why would Blizzard have tried and shot for a license like Star Wars back then? Sounds like a bit of grasping for straws for the fun of it. No one can deny that StarCraft seems to have inspirations from Warhammer 40K than anything else.

Shiggy

2342013228_6a29f96c27_o.jpg

2342013978_5f3594d017.jpg

:(

Mindlog

The LA Noire hubbub is incredibly disappointing to hear.

*standard disclaimer clause, if true, lol, i can spam vagaries and claim to have insider info, she's so wrong, god bless the 360, god bless the ps3 etc etc

DJ GT-S

Banned
I like the one about a new PSP being 3-4 years away. I dont want a new one soon, the current one is awesome and will be for awhile :)

Mau ®

The game is probably MGS4 since

1) He said its not a permanent exclusive. Most timed exclusives last about 6 months.

2) Early 2009 would be 6 months after MGS4 release.

3) The Konami gamers day is in early January.

I doubt most would care about MGS4 at that point. Let alone an inferior game. I dont even think Kojima team is working on the port.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
The Digipen alumni at NST's current Wii title is an action game apparently featuring many lasers that is shaping up to be better than Project H.A.M.M.E.R., fairly original too.

Digipen alumni? Most of the project leads are from other companies. Colin Reed (EAD), Masamichi Abe (EAD), Wing S. Cho (Rockstar), Vivek Melvani (Electronic Arts), Yukimi Shimura (NCL), etc.

inthezone said:
The game is probably MGS4 since

1) He said its not a permanent exclusive. Most timed exclusives last about 6 months.

2) Early 2009 would be 6 months after MGS4 release.

3) The Konami gamers day is in early January.

I doubt most would care about MGS4 at that point. Let alone an inferior game. I dont even think Kojima team is working on the port.

the Xbox 360 port is still alive as a rumor?

StuBurns

Banned
solid2snake said:
the Xbox 360 port is still alive as a rumor?

Well the last comment I read from anyone at Kojima Productions was Payton saying something a long the lines of "we're telling people if they want to play the game this year, they will have to get a PS3".

I think the rumors will carry on until Koji-Pro say outright what the nature of their deal with Sony is.

stuburns said:
Well the last comment I read from anyone at Kojima Productions was Payton saying something a long the lines of "we're telling people if they want to play the game this year, they will have to get a PS3".

I think the rumors will carry on until Koji-Pro say outright what the nature of their deal with Sony is.

but the port would be done without Kojima, maybe by a konami B-team.

solid2snake said:
but the port would be done without Kojima, maybe by a konami B-team.

I'd love to see the GIF/Pallies level editing of the PS3 controllers in the game. Like a 2D 360 pad digitally "taped" onto the model.

Certainly good for a larf, if nothing else.

Did someone really say this? If this ever happened, as unlikely as it seems, I would be ecstatic. >_>

Wait, are people seriously even entertaining discussion about rumors from this "skaterboi" clown? I thought he was just a product to increase the relative legitimacy of "Surfergirl"

acevans2

I didn't see anyone else talk about this much, but the revival of the Bioshock PS3 rumor is aweeesome. My most wanted 360 exclusive by a long shot.

Please be true!

Top Bottom