• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Surgeon finds 27 contacts in patient's eye

Kevdo

Enhance. Enhance. Enhance. Enhance. Enhance. Enhance. Enhance. Enhance. Enhance. Enhance. Enhance. Enhance. Enhance. Enhance. Enhance. Enhance. Enhance. Enhance. Enhance. Enhance. Enhance. Enhance. Enhance. Enhance. Enhance. Enhance. Enhance.

I like that you typed that out 27 times.

Theonik

How is this even possible? Just rubbing my eyes too hard would make my contacts fall out. I can't imagine have 17 and having eye irritation and not being able to get them out just by rubbing your eye.
Honestly the doctors thought the same which is part of why they chose to publish the case. It appears she was mostly asymptomatic as a result of this only experiencing very minor discomfort she chose not to see an optometrist for. Many doctors don't even bother to check because of how unlikely they think it is!

Spinluck

I don't know how someone could have this happen.

I can already tell when my contacts are in. More so when I fall asleep with them on which is a big no no.

I'm guessing she's just fallen asleep in them a ton of times... Even then I still can't fathom it. Putting more than one lens on one eye seems difficult enough.

Dynomutt

Is this bad hygiene of forgetfulness? Type of stuff your hear someone say their teeth hurt to find out they don't brush them. This is just nasty.

Theonik

Reading the story this happened over a long period of time. She wore these 1 month use lenses for more than 35 years. So she probably lost the odd lens and didn't think to check thinking they might have fallen off. More often than not this leads to infections and irritation that might prompt a doctor visit but not in this case. She then started having a deterioration in her vision due to old age that prompted her to visit a doctor where they scheduled the surgery where they discovered the lenses.

studyguy

I can barely stand one. I had a contact dry out while I was snowboarding once and it was like the worst shit ever since you could feel it as you blink when it stuck.... How.

danowat

Banned
I left one in overnight by accident once, and that felt like I'd rinsed my eyes with sand the next morning.

God knows what 27 felt like.

How did no doctor notice this? I mean, this whole story is very bizarre and I'm not sure if we know all the information here. Perhaps this lady has a mental disorder??

Like... she kept putting in fresh ones everyday?

So... she would go to sleep knowing she left them in?

And... she thought the discomfort was old age?

If this person doesn't have dementia and isn't senile, I call this story horse poop.

latest

"Grant us contacts, grant us contacts"

Top Bottom