• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Surgeon finds 27 contacts in patient's eye

CrocoDuck

Found pictures

Thats presumably the glob of 17 lenses
g4BL28h.jpg

YBTcqLZ.jpg

http://metro.co.uk/2017/07/15/surgeons-find-27-contact-lenses-lodged-in-womans-eye-6781554/

What the fuuuuck

Jindrax

ok old lady making a silly mistake I can get...

But how many doctors did she have to see to be schedules for surgery????
How did nobody notice what the fuck they were looking at?

LoveCake

Ouch!

Did she think that they disintegrated or had fall out, I don't know anybody that uses or has worn contacts but can they just fall out, if they did fall out wouldn't you notice a sudden change in vision, do you also leave them in all the time like when sleeping?

How often do you have to go back to the optician if you have contacts, I have perfect vision (better from that the optician said a few months ago) so only go once every two years for a check up, I find this strange that this wasn't picked up earlier.

Contacts terrify me. I'd rather have a surgeon take a knife to my eye to fix my vision than wear contacts.

Why? You'd have to be a moron to not understand whether you took the contact out or not. I mean, as long as your eye isn't completely dry, even just rubbing your eye a little bit can usually make your contact pop out.

SomTervo

Don't want to jump to conclusions, but that seriously sounds like something a person with dementia would do. Forget they never took the contacts out, keep putting new ones in, never make the connection re eye discomfort.

Jesus fucking christ

My wife used to work at an eye doctor's office. They had a patient come in once who was complaining about eye pain and that she couldn't see with her contacts on. It turns out she thought the contacts dissolved and kept putting new ones on. I don't think her situation resulted in surgery though.

I wonder how common this is.

Exis

I wear contacts and I have had lenses that I swear get lost in my eye from time to time.I want to say 3 over time. So this is scary to me.

ok old lady making a silly mistake I can get...

But how many doctors did she have to see to be schedules for surgery????
How did nobody notice what the fuck they were looking at?

image.php

Just kidding

Maybe some of the doctors just didn't give a damn. I wonder if she could sue.

I've always been terrified of contacts (or stuff getting anywhere near my eyes, really) and this doesn't help. What the fuck.

pixeldash

Neo Member
I can't even handle an eyelash falling in my eye. Having 17 contact lenses stuck back there? Good lord, just kill me.

BriGuy

I've had contact lenses slide over the top of my eye behind the lid and it's a really unpleasant feeling to say the least. Can't imagine getting a wad of them stuck back there and not noticing it.

As many others have said, even just one contact being slightly dirty or out of place feels terrible. I can't even imagine what this would feel like.

I for one am glad I got lasers done. One 20-minute operation in a lifetime and that's it. Was always too nervous to put contacts on.

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
What?

One contact slips in your eye and it's hell. This lady had that many and she somehow didn't tear her own eyeball out?

yeah. wtf.

This has me cringing almost as much as seeing a nut shot or something.

Kisaya

I've accidentally fallen asleep with contacts on and woken up without them. I assumed they might have slipped out but this story has me on another level of paranoid...

number11

No it's 27 total. It's just that 17 were forming one big chunk while later examinations revealed 10 more floating around individually.

10 individually? I always get lenses sliding 'inside' my eye.. I don't understand how there's that much space in your eye for that many lenses

Ogodei

Just had Lasik a little over a month ago so i'm finally free of this, but occasionally i'd "lose" lenses when trying to take them out and they'd just slip sideways around the eyeball, and i wouldn't notice any discomfort (which was part of the problem. Sometimes they got deep in there and it took me a while to coax them out).

I once had a contact lens stuck under my eye for 3 months. I thought it had fallen out when I was putting it in, but no, it made a home under my eye. There was no irritation or anything like that. It worked itself one day, otherwise, I probably wouldn't have known until I saw an optometrist.

I've accidentally fallen asleep with contacts on and woken up without them. I assumed they might have slipped out but this story has me on another level of paranoid...

They don't fall out you know? I have contacts 20+ you years and trust me they don't fall out while closing the eyes...
Let check your eyes.

Socivol

How is this even possible? Just rubbing my eyes too hard would make my contacts fall out. I can't imagine have 17 and having eye irritation and not being able to get them out just by rubbing your eye.

Top Bottom