• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Survivor: Philippines |OT| Return of the Cart-Offs

Status
Not open for further replies.

VPhys

Denise was really condescending to the jury during the final tribal Council with comments like " I am a better player than you" and " that's why I'm here and you're not "… I thought that would really hurt her but I guess not. I thought at the time she was using words from her profession and education to manipulate the jurors and it would have the opposite effect but apparently it worked.

789shadow

Banned
Denise was really condescending to the jury during the final tribal Council with comments like " I am a better player than you" and " that's why I'm here and you're not "… I thought that would really hurt her but I guess not. I thought at the time she was using words from her profession and education to manipulate the jurors and it would have the opposite effect but apparently it worked.
Um, as long as they can back it up with empirical evidence, "I am the best player" usually is the best strategy for the final tribal. Most winners used it.

kirblar

Confidence sells. She wasn't being condescending, she was making her pitch.

oatmeal

Banned
Finally watched last night...

HUGE step up from last season.

Can't wait for FvF.

Glad Denise won, wish that Malcolm was in. He was great.

LISA with the fan vote? The FUCK.

TripOpt55

Just watched earlier. Very good season. I was rooting for Malcolm, but at the same time I think voting him out was the right call. Was disappointed he seemed so bitter at the final tribal though. They really should have got Denise out the vote before that though and kept Abi if Skupin or Lisa wanted a shot (though I'm glad they didn't because I wouldn't have been a big fan of that final three). It is weird just how terrible Malcolm was at that challenge they set up for the end. Anyway, Denise is a good winner for me. She would have been my second choice. Wish Malcolm would have got fan favorite though. Lisa... really?!?

Also Dawson running up to Jeff at the reunion was hilarious! And Angie is still so hot.

If you check out some of the EW interviews, apparently that speech helped her a lot. Plus, as kirblar said (and past seasons have shown), confidence works a lot better than being all wishy-washy. It seems like juries tend to like people who own their backstabbing and scheming, rather than the ones who try and make nice.

(Also, from the EW interviews: Skupin seems like he was pretty clueless about it, which makes his arrogance over the last few days all the more hilarious.)

jett

D-Member
I couldn't stand Lisa in the reunion.

Penner really was the man in the final council and in the reunion. Give this guy his own show.

spliced

That Tandang trio had some bizarre bitterness/bad attitudes almost right from the start of the game and it carried right through to the FTC. I don't think the speeches made any difference to them they picked Denise by default.

That Tandang trio had some bizarre bitterness/bad attitudes almost right from the start of the game and it carried right through to the FTC. I don't think the speeches made any difference to them they picked Denise by default.

I think that's completely true for Artis and Abi, but Pete seemed pretty level headed. Yeah he was a little pissed, but from the ponderosa's and the final tribal he seemed a lot more accepting.

Which reminds me, what the hell with RC? Voting Lisa because she thought she was a threat right away and she made it to the end? If she thought she was a thread why did she never bring her name up? Seemed like such a illogical throwaway vote.

kirblar

Skupin was apparently telling people he thought he won once he got back in the states.

RC is completely self-absorbed. The hatred for her is so much more understandable now that the interviews w/ Pete/Abi are out there.

Skupin was apparently telling people he thought he won once he got back in the states.

Honestly with how some of the jury questions went I was kind of thinking Denise didn't have a shot. It seemed like half the Jurors didn't even acknowledge Denise was there. Still, I'm not sure how Skupin could think he won after Penner said he'd probably get no votes at all. Continues his streak of cluelessness I guess. I thought it would end up closer between Denise and Lisa.

It's completely relevant in a game where the final outcome is heavily based on how people think of you and trust you. List knew that revealing her history would put a larger target on herself throughout the game (just like Jeff Kent) and thus hid information that people would likely consider important.

I know that. If he revealed it during the game that would be ok but to reveal it then when it wasnt relevant to whether she deserved to win was bullshit. I would like to think someone who had been on the show three times wouldnt be so bitter.

Galang

Banned
I agree that Survivor almost always tends to pick the most deserving, so it's interesting how that works. Although for Heroes vs. Villains, I felt Parvati should of won over Sandra. But I think Sandra did a good job herself moving between the two alliances, so I can't fault it really... especially when the vote was so close. Anything season before that is a blur, but I can't remember extremely hating a winner or even everyone on a final three aside the season Bob won.

spliced

Which reminds me, what the hell with RC? Voting Lisa because she thought she was a threat right away and she made it to the end? If she thought she was a thread why did she never bring her name up? Seemed like such a illogical throwaway vote.

I think she just wanted to try to make herself look smart by saying I knew Lisa was a threat this whole time. That reminds me, what was Abi's reaction to finding out Pete had planted that clue that created that rift between RC and ABI. Has anyone asked her about that?

I think she just wanted to try to make herself look smart by saying I knew Lisa was a threat this whole time. That reminds me, what was Abi's reaction to finding out Pete had planted that note that created that rift between RC and ABI. Has anyone asked her about that?

It was in the Ponderosa video when she got voted out. She sort of just dismissed it. She really seemed like once she got voted out like she didn't want to talk about the game for a little bit. She apologized but it was more like she just dismissed it and thought she still reacted accordingly. RC was also kind of a crazy bitch about it.

Wish Probst would have talked about it, I was kind of dissapointed in the reunion part this season as a whole.

RC is completely self-absorbed. The hatred for her is so much more understandable now that the interviews w/ Pete/Abi are out there.

RC got a great edit for her time on the island. Thanks to Abi-Maria being such an easy target as a villain, she ended up looking really good. But her attitude at Ponderosa, during the Jury questioning, at the reunion...I understand a lot more why Pete/Abi/Artis got tired of her quickly. She's nice to look at, but really, really self-centered.

whitehawk

Banned
Shit just got real. Artis just posted this on twitter

https://twitter.com/ARTIS_Survivor/status/281146892690288641

lzf1f.jpg

wait wtf? did they show that on the show? i dont remember

They didn't, but Artis made very clear in exit interviews his extreme distaste for Skupin—and failed to explain why.

Now we know. Weird.

I'd still like to know the mystery reason Troyzan has a grudge against Kim...

Troyzan was probably just pissed off that he got outsmarted by a woman.

Artis' letter, though...I don't usually follow any stories that come up after a season finishes, so is that normal for people to explain why they hated another player? It seems like that kind of stuff usually stays hidden away for awhile.

whitehawk

Banned
Troyzan was probably just pissed off that he got outsmarted by a woman.

Artis' letter, though...I don't usually follow any stories that come up after a season finishes, so is that normal for people to explain why they hated another player? It seems like that kind of stuff usually stays hidden away for awhile.
This is the first season I've started following players on twitter. I think it's an online thing. Pete also called RC a spoiled bitch on twitter.

Macka

Wow. Why wouldn't they show that? That's quite a big reason for Artis to loathe Mike.
Since Mike ended up making FTC, I guess the editors didn't want to him to look bad. On the other hand you have Abi, Artis and Pete, the obvious villains who don't go far...it doesn't make sense for the audience to sympathise with them.

I couldn't stand Lisa in the reunion.

Penner really was the man in the final council and in the reunion. Give this guy his own show.

Penner is the only recurring survivor that gets me truly excited when I see him coming out of cryosleep for another season.

This season was Malcolms to lose but being a complete dumb ass on the last day really did him in. I am so glad Denise won though. I was crawling in my skin at the thought that Lisa could charm her way to a win. As always though middle america proves to be predictable as ever by giving her the 100,000. Moments like that make me thank the heavens this is a show that doesn't rely on viewer votes for the finale.

Also RC continued to get better looking every episode this season.

It's hard to know what to think about the Artis vs. Mike thing, but if something like what Artis said actually happened, wouldn't the other players comment on it too? It seems a bit strange that he is the only one saying anything about it.

Balehead

They didn't, but Artis made very clear in exit interviews his extreme distaste for Skupin—and failed to explain why.

Now we know. Weird.

I'd still like to know the mystery reason Troyzan has a grudge against Kim...

Troyzan believes that Kim changed the vote during transport to tribal the night that Jay went home and Troy had an idol. He also tweeted something along the lines "Remember Kim said she didn't have the time to tell everyone about the vote!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" and his final tribal question was basically trying to get Kim to admit this to get his vote. He also believes that Kim gave him her HII after game partly as an apology for all this.

He's been told that it happens all the time by ex survivors and there's no proof that Kim switched anything since she had plenty of time to talk with people before tribal.

BowieZ

Banned
I know that. If he revealed it during the game that would be ok but to reveal it then when it wasnt relevant to whether she deserved to win was bullshit. I would like to think someone who had been on the show three times wouldnt be so bitter.
I really don't get this.

I thought Penner was trying to show everyone "hey! Lisa fooled you all! She's a celebrity! She hid it cleverly that whole game!" thus imply she deserved to win... I thought it was an extremely positive moment...?

But then nothing came of it, and Penner voted for Denise anyway despite calling her a bitch. So that all confused me.

Troyzan believes that Kim changed the vote during transport to tribal the night that Jay went home and Troy had an idol. He also tweeted something along the lines "Remember Kim said she didn't have the time to tell everyone about the vote!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" and his final tribal question was basically trying to get Kim to admit this to get his vote. He also believes that Kim gave him her HII after game partly as an apology for all this.

He's been told that it happens all the time by ex survivors and there's no proof that Kim switched anything since she had plenty of time to talk with people before tribal.

...heh.

Thanks!

I really don't get this.

I thought Penner was trying to show everyone "hey! Lisa fooled you all! She's a celebrity! She hid it cleverly that whole game!" thus imply she deserved to win... I thought it was an extremely positive moment...?

But then nothing came of it, and Penner voted for Denise anyway despite calling her a bitch. So that all confused me.

I think that would be a huge stretch. He was clearly giving them another reason not to vote for her and Penner is smart enough to know thats how the jury would see it.

I really don't get this.

Penner has having a little cry baby moment but he can't deny greatness.

I think that would be a huge stretch. He was clearly giving them another reason not to vote for her and Penner is smart enough to know thats how the jury would see it.

Ponderosa and the Malcolm/Denise EW interviews prove out that the decisions were made pre-tribal. Everybody just wanted to stir the pot and give "the audience what they want".

Was interesting to hear that Penner found out Lisa's past via Denise, though.

I really don't get this.

I thought Penner was trying to show everyone "hey! Lisa fooled you all! She's a celebrity! She hid it cleverly that whole game!" thus imply she deserved to win... I thought it was an extremely positive moment....

What? That's not right at all. There's a reason celebrities/rich people try to hide who they are when they're on the show. Other Survivors -- rightly or wrongly -- often justify voting them out by saying that they don't deserve the money. That's why Jeff Kent didn't tell anyone who he was, why Russell Hantz didn't tell anyone he was an oil millionaire from Texas, etc.

That said, I think that Penner revealing Lisa's background was only partly that (even if child stars aren't really known for keeping their money into adulthood). The other part was that he was pointing out that she was an actress, and that she'd made a living pretending to be someone else...if you think about how often people in the final two or final three try to emphasize that they and the friendships they formed were genuine, letting everyone know that the person has a background in being professionally fake torpedoes that argument (not that they showed her making it, of course).

Rhyvven

Neo Member
What? That's not right at all. There's a reason celebrities/rich people try to hide who they are when they're on the show. Other Survivors -- rightly or wrongly -- often justify voting them out by saying that they don't deserve the money. That's why Jeff Kent didn't tell anyone who he was, why Russell Hantz didn't tell anyone he was an oil millionaire from Texas, etc.

That said, I think that Penner revealing Lisa's background was only partly that (even if child stars aren't really known for keeping their money into adulthood). The other part was that he was pointing out that she was an actress, and that she'd made a living pretending to be someone else...if you think about how often people in the final two or final three try to emphasize that they and the friendships they formed were genuine, letting everyone know that the person has a background in being professionally fake torpedoes that argument (not that they showed her making it, of course).

Yes....But:

"Jonathan Lindsay Penner (born March 5, 1962) is an American actor, writer and film producer known for starring in The Last Supper and the television series Rude Awakening and The Naked Truth, as well as for his multiple appearances on the American competitive reality series Survivor."

There's a lot more acting credits too. It was obvious he rehearsed his entire final tribal speech.

Still enjoyed him though.

That's all true, and he also had an Oscar nomination. The big difference, though: they all knew that about him. Even on his first season, he was known for being a deceitful, sneaky guy. Even though his profession was described as "writer", I can't imagine his tribemates finding out that he was also an actor would change their opinions of him that much. I don't think Lisa had the same kind of perception.

dsigns1

So am I the only one who doesnt think Denise was the clear winner? I've tried thinking about it and I just cant figure out what she did that deserved the win. So she went to every tribal council? Couldnt that also be looked at as she lost every challenge? How is that a good thing? I cant remember any big moves she made. I'm confused. I think it came down to being up there with 2 other people who didnt really do much.

I guess Skupin deserves to lose since he didnt vote Denise off. Could have kept Abi and then got rid of Malcom and went to the final with Lisa & Abi.

So am I the only one who doesnt think Denise was the clear winner? I've tried thinking about it and I just cant figure out what she did that deserved the win. So she went to every tribal council? Couldnt that also be looked at as she lost every challenge? How is that a good thing? I cant remember any big moves she made. I'm confused. I think it came down to being up there with 2 other people who didnt really do much.

I guess Skupin deserves to lose since he didnt vote Denise off. Could have kept Abi and then got rid of Malcom and went to the final with Lisa & Abi.

She deserves to win because she played a game that got her to the end with 6 of 8 votes from the jury, in short.

From exit interviews throughout the season, it was clear that she was playing nothing short of a brilliant social game, ingratiating herself to her various tribemates. There was ample opportunity and ample reason to vote her out throughout the game; she was no slouch in challenges, she was a smart, sociable player, and she was the new girl with an obvious cross-tribal allegiance when she made it to Tandang.

Despite this, she was able to maneuver her way through most tribal councils without being a target. She didn't make "big moves" because she didn't have to, and when she finally had to (voting out Malcolm), she did.

She was a smart, capable player who understood her strengths and weaknesses and worked them throughout the game to score a victory from people who had every reason to dislike her. She may have played a different game than Kim and Sophie, but it was no less impressive.

dsigns1

She may have played a different game than Kim and Sophie, but it was no less impressive.

Good points, I guess it just wasnt that impressive to watch from the outside looking in. But I am not one to argue with the jury votes. If they felt she should win, she deserves it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom