• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sweet Baby Inc, the cancer behind Alan Wake 2, Spider-Man 2 and GoW: Ragnarök

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vick

Before someone accuses me of equating "diversity and inclusion" with cancer, I am obviously referring to literal propaganda forcefully and tastelessly injected into art. Which is effectively murdering true diversity in art forms.
And if you ever thought every modern AAA feels written by exactly the same people, it's because they basically are.

OX10YBs.jpg

Sbqcpia.jpg

3cV01kT.jpg

bjPwoui.jpg

pWQ4swR.jpg

l2xh3EI.jpg

VrrZjSa.jpg

uUGAO4o.jpg

SVJcqhZ.jpg

yy79ZLx.jpg

Personally, I'll be keeping an eye on this website often from now on.

Ozriel

M$FT
I go the Alan Wake 2 OT and the general consensus is that Remedy nailed it, aligning with the review consensus.

What’s this shit about ‘cancer’ and ‘propaganda’, and how is AW2 ruined because of it?

There’s a lot of nonsense online about the game being ‘woke’ because there’s a black female lead. Surely that’s not what you’re referring to?

StueyDuck

Lots of studios outsource to lots of 3rd parties and consultants for a variety of things in every facet of development.

But this company seems damn hostile.

Everything about them screams that they takeover and control, I'm shocked that soo many AAA companies use them because, at least how they portray themselves, it sounds like they want to take over your product and that they'll be your boss.

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
People love all those games here so yes, you're doing what you claim you're not & nobody thought they're written by the same people (they aren't you ignorant doofus), this is equal to some thinking an intern writer (wow, there's internal writing?!) had enough sway (and the desire!) to self insert 🤦‍♂️

I wonder if those calling for essentially cancelling this studio or whatever it is or the people who decided to consult them and keeping them out of "their" games, or whatever see the irony. Probaby not. Or at least will pretend not to, try to justify how this is different, etc., etc., lol. Now they also "know" exactly what they did for Alan Wake II, change a character to black which is a bad and woke thing to do and not something that may have possibly been a decision by the creators for any number of reasons since that one showcase in 2015, no, it has to be a woke thing, black is woke 🤦‍♂️

Oh, also now it's "forced" because it's via an external collaboration (that we still don't know what exactly they've done in all these highly acclaimed, by critics and gamers and GAF, games), there's totally no backlash when it's all just the wishes of the actual game devs within a studio, they respect those, that's why up we still have videos of a certain type of influencer clamoring clout from a certain type of viewer (*cough*op*cough*) claiming the alleged lead writer (who in the end is an intern who looks nothing like her) is the face of MJ and the one to cancel, that's totally it, fr, fr🤦‍♂️

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I need to get in the SJW business. I could make up ridiculous stuff every day no problem. Would probably be a lot of fun honestly. Like getting paid to write Onion articles every day.

"Have you considered God of ... Peace?"
"What are the sexual implications of Atreus being a shapeshifter?"
"Spider Queen honestly makes more sense considering spiders are a matriarchal species."

midnightAI

Consultation does not mean anything changed by the way, and to be honest I'd rather they would outsource this kind of thing as they may pick up on something that wasn't originally meant to be offensive but could be construed that way at least then they may catch something that upsets certain people (some people are too darn sensitive these days).

StueyDuck

Consultation does not mean anything changed by the way, and to be honest I'd rather they would outsource this kind of thing as they may pick up on something that wasn't originally meant to be offensive but could be construed that way at least then they may catch something that upsets certain people (some people are too darn sensitive these days).
Fuckit, let shit be offensive.

We all use to just laugh off the satanic panic and Christian nonsense in the 90s 00s. Howcome we have to codify and pander to little babies in the 2020s

Unknown?

There are people here defending this crap?!

I always find it funny how diversity just means anyone not white and hetro.

It's hilarious when they take a Nordic folktale but half of the cast is black. It'd be like making a black panther sequel where most of the cast is white or Asian.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Well, the games cited in the thread title are some of the better games released this year. So yeah, hamfisted political injections can ruin a game, but these games cited as examples don't help your cause.

Sensitivity readers remove the edge out of art. Everything that could be seen as controversial by woke reset era forum dwellers will be taken out or watered down so it won't offend the easily offended.

These sensitive readers are ultimately censors who curtail the possibility of artists to freely write what they want. Once you employ a sensitiviy reader, they're bound to find fault with a story, since the people that work for them are activists and being exceedingly politicially correct is how they make money. The effects to gaming is similar to what the Comics Code Authority did to comics in the 1950/60ies and the Hayes Code between 1934-1968 did to movies. In the 1930ies you couldn't show a married couple sleeping in the same bed, in the 1950ies you couldn't have comics with excessive violence or glamorous criminals and now everything that could possibly offend someone is deleted from the script before it enters production.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Struggling to see how this impacted Spiderman, Alan Wake and GoW negatively.
Don't know about Spidey and haven't gotten far into Alan Wake 2 but GOWR's writing is godawful, especially when it comes down to its characters.

Kratos is damn near unrecognizable at times and they leaned to heavily onto his newfound "empathetic side,". There's a point in the story where he tries to comfort Freya over the death of Baldur by relating it to his own struggles, something Kratos never does. He becomes so damn annoying to Freya that she straight up tells him to STFU and keep killing things to which Kratos like a manbaby replies, "don't tell me that!" as if it's supposed to remind him of when he was in service to Ares. What makes this moronic is that Kratos despite being cold and distant has great emotional maturity and understands when to shut his mouth and let someone grieve and even counseled Atreus several times in the first game over letting someone have their space and let them mourn and not interfere. There's also Atreus getting hostile towards Kratos and calling his father an asshole like a 21st century angsty teen, which again, is completely at odds with how a child raised by a Norsewoman and a Greek Spartan warrior would act. A kid with that background would never raise their voice at their parents, let alone insult them. The entire game is a disaster of writing, even ignoring the stuff that is unrelated to diversity/sensitivity/inclusivity.

As for Alan Wake II, my only gripes with the game is that Saga, a black woman, has a Nordic name and so did her mom and grandfather. From my understanding however, she is biracial and her grandfather is white so it's a bit less jarring. This is reminiscent of those new-age writers trying to shove diversity into traditionally non-diverse setting such as that Netflix TV show that has a black (biracial) woman as the Jarl of some Viking clan which is ridiculous. They even attempted to justify this obviously agenda-driven choice by claiming that Norse tribes were racially diverse. GTFO with this bullshit. This is typical of those people though, they would never make an effort to research about black/African/Caribbean culture, it's not worth their time to so they'd rather just shoehorn them into European culture and pretend it was always diverse and inclusive. If they were honest and well-intentioned, they would research history about different cultures and attempt to seamlessly integrate them into their work but nah, better blackwash/colorwash European culture instead. It's all about money, and what sells is European settings. Better try to colorwash it instead of breaking the status quo and present people more diverse settings. I've even seen on Gaf people dying for more games about Aztecs or other pre-colonial American civilizations but you never hear about them from inclusivity writers.

For instance, I would have loved for Saga to be named after a Caribbean or African deity. People know too little about them and we barely see them in media besides Haitian Voodoo which is maligned and incorrectly presented as being evil and all about black magic and curses when pretty much every Haitian voodoo faithful is also a Christian. I would love for writers to tell more about Mesoamerican, African, Caribbean, Southeast Asian, and other cultures. Throwing a bunch of different ethnicities into traditionally white settings does absolutely nothing for representation or diversity. It just gives a warped sense of history that never happened and misinforms people about what the past was like. Sorry, the world at large was never inclusive anywhere. Most cultures and civilizations were intolerant of things that disagreed with their worldviews and were suspicious of outsiders most of the time and considered them inferior. That goes for Greeks, Romans, Egyptians, Chinese, Nubians, Aztetcs, and damn near every other culture out there.

And last thing, I've worked with 3 different companies over the past 6 years and had to attend those diversity training sessions. They were always led by "privileged" white women. Nothing against them but that's simply what I observed.

/endrant

Last edited:

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Before someone accuses me of equating "diversity and inclusion" with cancer, I am obviously referring to literal propaganda forcefully and tastelessly injected into art. Which is effectively murdering true diversity in art forms.
And if you ever thought every modern AAA feels written by exactly the same people, it's because they basically are.

OX10YBs.jpg

Sbqcpia.jpg

3cV01kT.jpg

bjPwoui.jpg

pWQ4swR.jpg

l2xh3EI.jpg

VrrZjSa.jpg

uUGAO4o.jpg

SVJcqhZ.jpg

yy79ZLx.jpg

Personally, I'll be keeping an eye on this website often from now on.
The only cancer here is the meme you are expressing that diversity and inclusion is some horrific agenda. It is not. Only people are extremely triggered react like you do. For decades media had been almost exclusively white & straight. If you are not white and straight when all you see is white and straight growing up, it subconsciously impacts you. Making sure people are represented has a positive impact on those who have historically not been represented.

Crying about having it force fed to you is really pathetic. It is benign and you have to actually be angrily looking out for it to be upset by it. This post is yet another example of the cancer that is spreading amongst white men, the blatant hate of the other over every tiny "offense." If you were a bigger man, and a better person, you wouldn't have to show everyone how much you hate diversity and hate the way that these people think. But you are not that. You are a person who thinks including minorities in media is propaganda. How you can read the definition and think this is true is beyond me. The goal is to make things equitable, that is not political, it is based on the factual statistics of what types of have been represented in media and at what frequencies. I get that a concept involving facts and numbers is too hard to comprehend so the only course you have is anger. Have a fun life treating the world like that.

Sethbacca

Honestly comments like these I can't take seriously, it's literally the biggest form of hypocrisy.

Basically you don't like that people call something woke, so they ALL have to be loons saying that everything is woke.

Kettle meet pot
And yet this forum that we are in is doing the same exact thing you accuse the other of. Screaming like a bunch of tards because a game isn’t catering to your sensibilities instead of theirs. The fact that none of you see it is the most hilarious part really.

You all are 2 sides of the same reactionary coin.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

Much like what was talked about regarding Actors and Actresses in California in a different thread, this is kind of a similar practice IMO. They want work, so they're going to place themselves in a position that looks ultra appealing in order to get more work. Of course specific companies and studios are going to look towards companies that claim to be more open about things as they may think it's better for them. Or that they fall in lines with stuff that they agree with or think is important.

I personally don't care or look into stuff this much. If the game is good, the game is good. But also, I personally don't see an issue with diversity or inclusion as long as it feels true and not overly pander-y or forced.

Last edited:
So I don‘t see TLOU2 in their repertoire, meaning there‘ll be forced diversity with or without them in the industry and their games are all in 90ish range. I don‘t like diversity being shoved down my throat either, but it seems you‘re kind of phobic towards it.

StueyDuck

And yet this forum that we are in is doing the same exact thing you accuse the other of. Screaming like a bunch of tards because a game isn’t catering to your sensibilities instead of there’s. The fact that none of you see it is the most hilarious part really.

You all are 2 sides of the same reactionary coin.
But we aren't. Some people are discussing it, some are disagreeing, some are coming to some points they agree on and some points they don't.

The only "tard" here, is the uninvited guest who enters the chat just to call everyone tards cause they live In their high tower and are too afraid to learn that their world view isn't the only one and the universe doesn't revolve around them 😉

Sethbacca

But we aren't. Some people are discussing it, some are disagreeing, some are coming to some points they agree on and some points they don't.

The only "tard" here, is the uninvited guest who enters the chat just to call everyone tards cause they live In their high tower and are too afraid to learn that their world view isn't the only one and the universe doesn't revolve around them 😉
There are no uninvited guests in a forum you simpleton. It’s not like the threads are locked to only allow certain people into them.

Clintizzle

Lord of Edge.
Ok first of all, the fuck kinda name is Sweet Baby Inc.

Secondly the games they have mentioned were pretty good so I'd imagine that the respective studios would have consulted them but not taken all their feedback to the final product.

I'd imagine God Of War: R would have been very different if these guys would have had FULL say.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom