• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch 2 will have to be very innovative to keep up with handheld PCs and phones going forward

Mythoclast

Probably since the N64 or GameCube, Nintendo has released considerably weaker consoles than its competitors, Sony and Microsoft. One can argue that give their release cycles and hardware approaches, they are not even competitors anymore. Doing their own thing has worked considerably well for them for the last 10-15 years.

They pioneered the hybrid handheld/home console system. But more recently, Steam Decks and other handheld PCs have shown up, offering considerably more power and the ability to install pretty much any software you can install on a regular PC. Now even phones are catching up being able to offer console-level AAA experiences.

Nintendo is Nintendo and they will always have Mario, Zelda and Pokémon, and those will always sell a ton.
But with the rumored Switch 2 having allegedly similar performance to a PS4, when phones and other handhelds can already do that, and this is not even the beginning of the generation, I'm concerned that Nintendo will have to just rely again on first party software to thrive. The difference this generation being that they have significantly more competition from handheld PCs and phones.

Hope they've got something up their sleeves instead of just a slightly more beefed up Switch that is already outdated on release.

killatopak

Switch 2 seems to run on a lower res screen and definitely not higher than 1080p. With DLSS, that doesn’t seem to be out of reach.

Recent news also tell that Series S is the main platform for Xbox. I think if Switch can at least compete with Series S in terms of CPU and RAM, Nintendo can easily get most 3rd party ports unlike Switch.

Switch 2 is prime for retaining their success barring huge errors.

ultrazilla

Gold Member
I think Nintendo realizes that if they want to keep up the excellent third party support they're gonna have to come with a more powerful home console to keep up with the likes of the PS5/Xbox Series along with "Pro" variants of those consoles as well.

DLSS and upgradeable docks for the "docked version" and upgradeable screens for the portable version.

hinch7

Nintendo could keep selling old arse hardware with little uplift in performance and they'd still do well. Just look at NS sales, its still flying off shelves 6 years after launch on an ancient custom Tegra X1 from 2015.

Their machines sell on the basis of their IP and high quality standards set by them. It doesn't matter if x machine is more powerful or has more features.

Vandole

Probably since the N64 or GameCube, Nintendo has released considerably weaker consoles than its competitors, Sony and Microsoft.
I'm sorry this first sentence is bothering me so much. I can't tell if you meant to say after the N64 and GameCube they made weaker consoles, or you're actually suggesting the N64 and GameCube were weaker than their competitors.

Switch 2 needs to keep up the momentum that Switch has. Nintendo cannot afford another Wii U fiasco, especially since we know Microsoft's goal is to quietly acquire a significant amount of Nintendo shares and pressure them financially to complete a hostile takeover. If Nintendo values their independence, they cannot fuck up on Switch 2.

Tams

Read this seven years ago. Read this twelve years ago. Read this twenty years ago (Nokia Ngage).

Guess who's still around with their own console? Nintendo.

It's because they understand what fun actually is, as they are, you know, a toy company.

Last edited:

tr1p1ex

PHones were a thing in 2017 as well. And anyone copying NIntendo ~5 years later is going to have a faster product. It would be weird if Steam Deck had slower silicon for more money 5 years later.

I don't think anything changes. They have to make something that causes people to open their wallets. I think they do exist and survive and thrive mostly on 1st party titles. That's what separates them from the rest. That won't change. Those titles open wallets. And from there other titles are sold including 3rd party titles.

And they'll do more with the hardware than just improve the speeds and feeds. This gen maybe not enough credit goes to the versatility of the joycons. 2 mini simple gamepads for 2 people. Or wiimote controllers for 1 or 2 people. A traditional game controller for 1. Or just the controls for the handheld.

Last edited:

Woopah

I don't think they necessarily need to be innovative, but they'll want to have a power boost to reduce their third party advantage that there competitors (PS5 and XBS) currently have.

Handheld PCs are far too niche for Nintendo to worry about them just yet.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Handheld PC's in particular are going to be problematic for Nintendo going forward imo. These things are going to be continually released with advanced specs, access to the vast PC game catalogue AND able to do emulation. So even the first party exclusivity is not safe.

The Steam Deck has sold maybe 3-4 million units since it came out, and that is by far the most popular of those devices, the rest are basically irrelevant, and the Switch has sold about 10x that. This is not something Nintendo has to worry about.

Tams

The Steam Deck has sold maybe 3-4 million units since it came out, and that is by far the most popular of those devices, the rest are basically irrelevant, and the Switch has sold about 10x that. This is not something Nintendo has to worry about.

Not to mention it and almost all over the other handheld PCs are behemoths compared to a Switch, let alone a Switch Lite. And have perhaps half the battery life.

Fbh

Disagree.
Switch 2 has Nintendo games which are a BIG selling point, and if as rumoured it's around Ps4 performance level (+DLSS) it's probably going to take a while before it can be emulated on desktop PC's, not to mention portable PC's. It's probably also going to have a better pick up and play experience as well as an easier transition from handheld to TV play than most alternatives, which is going to be appealing to casual audiences.
Regular gaming on the $1000 new iphone, while impressive for the size and power consumption, still seem pretty crappy, and I don't think most people will want to do any normal gaming (not shitty F2P games designed for mobile) on their phones.

People also massively exaggerate how popular these portable PC's are.
Steamdeck is said to break the 3 million sold barrier by the end of 2023, after 2 years on the market. Switch is STILL selling more than that in a few months even after already having sold 120+ million units

Astral Dog

Its always been the same thing with Nintendo, of course they need to be innovative to thrive.

But Steam Deck and handheld PCs are copycats without big exclusive launches that serve a different audience , the market will know the difference .

simply having more powerful hardware, doesn't make a thing a 'Nintendo' they did lost their unique feature in the market but the others have a long way to go before becoming Switch replacements

TransTrender

Gold Member
apparently they care about a nintendo handheld then a home consoles because those flopped like 3 times,
speak-english-pulp-fiction.gif

Woopah

Hell yeah. Who cares about Nintendo IPs...
apparently they care about a nintendo handheld then a home consoles because those flopped like 3 times,
I think this is a very important point.

Yes people care about Nintendo IP, but if that big IP is not published regularly, or there's a lack of appealing games released between those major releases, your system won't build momentum.

GoldenEye98

posts news as their odd job

The Steam Deck released what like a year and a half ago? Switch virtually had no competition up until then and had already sold ~100M units.

Very few consumers who purchased a Switch even had the choice.

Switch 2 will probably do well but consumers will actually have some options this time.

tr1p1ex

yeah except Switch has sold a little more than 10X 3-4mn units. Try 30x. ;)

Nevermind I think got this wrong. You're talking Switch sales since SD came out. 10x is in the ball park.

Last edited:

Astral Dog

unlike op i have a feeling Switch players won't look at Nintendo's PlayStation 4 graphics and get this reaction 👇
clint-eastwood-gross.gif

but we will see

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
The Steam Deck released what like a year and a half ago? Switch virtually had no competition up until then and had already sold ~100M units.

Switch 2 will probably do well but consumers will actually have some options this time.

Well, in the timeframe since the SD came out, people have had the choice, and 90%+ chose the Switch.

These are niche devices. They're cool, I have a Steam Deck, but they're not serious competition to Nintendo.

S0ULZB0URNE

It won't have to worry about Steam Deck as it's pretty weak and overpriced.
Other hybrids are higher in price and PC is a different market.

tr1p1ex

Nah. I don't think there is much overlap.

I don't consider the SD an option to the Switch myself. I bought Switch for Nintendo. Not interested in trying to play pc games made for Windows on a different OS with different controls on a ~7" screen. But to each their own.

Last edited:

tr1p1ex

Well, in the timeframe since the SD came out, people have had the choice, and 90%+ chose the Switch.

These are niche devices. They're cool, I have a Steam Deck, but they're not serious competition to Nintendo.
yeah and are they really choosing between the two.

I bet some never wanted the Switch.

And I bet some also have a Switch.

I don't know if there are many who are like well I either am going to get a Switch or a SD.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Nah, Nintendo can just make Mario, Pokemon and Zelda games forever and people will still buy them. I mean look at Pokemon, that game is an absolute turd yet it sold millions. Imagine if Sony made games with the same quality. It would be financially disastrous. No idea why Nintendo games always get a pass, I mean I know but I'll prolly get banned if I say it.

Top Bottom