• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch Firmware 4.0 enables USB/wireless-USB headsets in docked mode

Sagitario

Someone test if it works with the Pulse Elise headset, please!

41OptyQgMtL._SX466_.jpg

JCX

Wish it could pair with bluetooth headsets that don't have a dongle, but I guess the dongle is standard for bluetooth headsets on PS4/XB1 so it at least brings parity.

nampad

Dongles are definitely a modern tech decision, considering how it's something that MacBooks and phones have been needing in the last few years.

But not for BT audio so your apples to Apple comparison is not good. The solution we got right now is still pretty backwards.

I wonder if that VOID Corsair Headset that I got from Best Buy off a price error for $10 works with this. I'd love to get more use out of them. I'll give them a try when I get home.

I have a smart TV with bluetooth so this isn't useful for me, but good on them for adding this feature. It should've been available at launch imo. Seems like a good update overall.

majik13

fuck yes, every few weeks, id look around the net to figure out some cheap way, to get some wireless headset working with switch, either by using my golds, or buy some wireless rf dongle to plug into the 3.5 jack, and nothing seemed worth it, or feasible.

This is perfect.

majik13

In handheld mode, it can be done this way:
Mx7PIgv.jpg

is this not using the Sony Gold Dongle that comes with the headphones? kinda hard to tell from the picture, but dont see this in there.

looks like the USB C adapter is about the size of the gold dongle, but then the dongle in the reddit pic looks fairly short/small. I r confused...

Completely unrelated, but will the Sony Gold headset work on a PC as well?
The PlayStation Golds work on PS3/PS4/PC. All you have to do is plug the dongle in.

The new Platinum headset however I believe only works on PS4/PC. I’d be curious if it worked on Switch, can anybody test the Platinums?

I was actually thinking about getting rid of my Golds because I have a headset for PC that I could just plug into the DualShock but I’m gonna keep them now. Mine haven’t started to crack yet in over a year. I do take good care of my stuff though.

Tried it with my Kingston HyperX Cloud 2. Didn't seem to work
This is interesting. It doesn’t seem to work with any wired USB headsets, nor most wireless headsets. Odd choices there, sort of like how PS4 doesn’t support Bluetooth headphones but Vita did.

I wonder what makes the Sony headsets work and not the rest? I guess I’m lucky in that both headsets I have and my AirPods will work, but it sucks that despite having USB headset support that most people’s headsets don’t work.

Jzero

My USB Type-C IEMs work
I'm finally going to have a use for them since I don't like using them with my phone

You’ve got to think that all the hassle makes the number of concurrent voice users bad. Like Lawbreakers bad.
It's not even the hassle. I tried it once, and it didn't even work well. Got my friends to download discord and it was miles better. Not to mention the app only supports voice chat in Splatoon 2 when playing with friends atm.

Afrocious

Hmm, I'm just jumping into the thread currently, but is there a way I can get my Bose and Sony bluetooth headphones working wirelessly with my Switch?

ZOONAMI

I feel like the dongle to another dongle for handheld mode is more cumbersome than just using wired cans lol.

Hmm, I'm just jumping into the thread currently, but is there a way I can get my Bose and Sony bluetooth headphones working wirelessly with my Switch?
I linked a Creative BT USB adapter earlier in the thread that I’ve been using this afternoon to play Zelda with my AirPods. It’s ~$30 but it’s a very small adapter and allows you to use any Bluetooth headphones.

I feel like the dongle to another dongle for handheld mode is more cumbersome than just using wired cans lol.
I found a USB C ad;get on amazon that seemed pretty small, combined with the BT adapter it probably extends like 3cm from the bottom? That doesn’t seem horrible but until they come in I won’t really know.

I honestly rarely use the Switch in handheld mode though so idk how useful it will be for me.

majik13

I found a USB C ad;get on amazon that seemed pretty small, combined with the BT adapter it probably extends like 3cm from the bottom? That doesn't seem horrible but until they come in I won't really know.

this is what I dont get from this comment, and my post earlier in the thread with the reddit picture. According to Sonys Gold headset manual, the included dongle all by itself is about 3.6cm just on its own...

is there like a smaller dongle out there I am not aware of?

But its probably all moot anyways, and I think I agree with ZOONAMI on this, wired earbuds or cans are probably just a better idea for undocked play.

Top Bottom