• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch, Mobile or Vita, for portable players what is your system of choice?

I use my phone more, but that's for twitter and YouTube.

I've used my Switch probably on average 5 times a week since launch. It's been pretty good for gaming.

Not sure what I'd play on my Vita now. I think there's a Danganronpa game coming out soon? First few were pretty good.

bluexy

It's still 3DS for me. Just a brilliant library of games perfect for on-the-go play. I like the Switch, but if I have the option to play it docked, why wouldn't I?

Right now it's the 3DS as I clear my backlog and grab these last few games. It'll be the Switch full time after Mario, Fire Emblem, and Xenoblade drop

Jerm411

Switch for me...really do love it. The Vita was really awesome but haven't played mine in a long time, the Switch has taken over a lot of my gaming time period.

mr_chun

While I do play my Switch in handheld mode 90% of the time, it's always at home.

I prefer to take the less bulky Vita and 3DS when I go somewhere.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
Vita mostly for PS1 Classics....Switch has no games I want to play....yet (XB2 looks nice) and the only Mobile game I've ever played was Snake...not my thing.

farting

Banned
switch/3ds as i've never bothered with sony portables and mobile just doesn't compare to the others on gameplay

Vita. Maybe it'll change if I ever get a Switch, which probably won't happen because of the downloading thing it has.
Coming from a vita owner that seems kind of weird? Would probably be easy enough to avoid those titles. Most likely won't happen for first party games.

Jopie

Switch. I have had a vita since launch and never enjoyed it as much as I have the Switch the past few months.

Not to sound like a fanboy but I had to spend 2 stupid hours today at the DMV and having my Switch with me made it so much more tolerable. Sure, 3DS, or Vita would have also done the job, but dicking around in Octophath Traveler and approaching my 4th Divine Beast in BotW was great.

Estoc

Switch for "proper" games, mobile for when I need to game but not at a moment when I can whip out a Switch and play.

Vita for life and hometown, at home, on my own.

Coming from a vita owner that seems kind of weird? Would probably be easy enough to avoid those titles. Most likely won't happen for first party games.
Carts on Vita almost always have everything in it. Sure, they're smaller sized, but still. For indie games, it's manageable to download those because they're small. And yes, I do pick some games to buy based on their download sizes, but if it happens quite often, then that's too bad. So, I'll wait and see on the Switch. I might pick one up on the end of its lifespan.

Randomizer

The 3DS is still my go to system. So many great games and they are still releasing them. Hopefully by next year it will be the Switch when the library has grown abit.

Switch or Vita. I play a couple Gacha games though if you can call logging in for rewards playing. Switch is gonna need more games but it's the best option hardware wise IMO

kubricks

Vita. Sleep function works great, battary last pretty long and the size is just about right.
Still have a large JRPG backlog to go through, thus all the PS1/Neogeo classic when I have time.

Now that it's dying out, I find it difficult to replace it with another system. People will naturally suggest the Switch but I find it too big.

Mortemis

Banned
3DS.

I love my switch and it'll be my go to soon but there's still some really good games on the 3DS that I want to play.

NSESN

Switch then 3DS.
Vita. Sleep function works great, battary last pretty long and the size is just about right.
Still have a large JRPG backlog to go through, thus all the PS1/Neogeo classic when I have time.

Now that it's dying out, I find it difficult to replace it with another system. People will naturally suggest the Switch but I find it too big.
Well it is pretty much Switch or Mobile because no way Sony wastes resources in another handheld.

Mobile when I'm out and about but 3DS/Switch when I'm at home. I vastly prefer the Switch's hardware and upcoming library of games but there are still some 3DS games recently released and coming out I wanna get my hands on so I'll keep using it till it's dead

• I use an iPad to play Marvel Future Fight and Hearthstone almost exclusively - and maybe a few other random games from time to time
  • I do not game on iPhone anymore
  • I stopped gaming on 3DS after Pokemon Moon
  • I mostly forgot about Vita, and dont remember when I last used it. I enjoyed indies on it a lot at one point
  • I play on Switch a lot right now. Zelda, Rabbids, Mario Kart, and a bunch of indies. I would play more if more indies (Splunkey, Stardew ect) came to the platform. I will obviously play more of the bigger releases when they come too.
So, I guess it is Switch > iPad > 3DS > iPhone > Vita

JCX

Ummmm depends on which one I'm actively playing and where I'm going. Usually just go with whichever has the most battery life left at the time I'm leaving the house.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
VIta for me coz of portable Danganronpa and currently Ys.

Also PSone and PSP classics.

GoldStarz

3DS

Vita, if I have to pick between those three

I would be a million times warmer to the Switch if they had a symmetrical joycon option

kubricks

Well it is pretty much Switch or Mobile because no way Sonyvwastes resources in another handheld.

I know, and I have accepted the fate of the system long ago.
If Switch ever produce a smaller varient I am all for it, well.

Bolivar687

Banned
Vita for sure. The library, network features, and overall convenience is amazing. Playing LBP and having a player drop into my level mid session to get the multiplayer puzzles and talking to eachother with the built in Mic was a revelation. The library is an amazing portable convergence of the best of PSOne, PSP, and Indies, with the marquee titles it did get putting it over the top.

Like what I played on Switch but not enough to get one.

Khrno

I prefer to use the Switch since I can play it on the TV.

Besides that, I play on 3DS and Vita, although I haven't played Vita probably since last year, but I play them not because they are portables, but because they have games I am interested on.

Same for mobile, I play Fire Emblem Heroes, and only that since I don't care about any other games.

AmanoBuff

Vita: A few great exclusives, a portable FF machine and a HUGE library of PS One, PSP and Indie games.

Switch: Nintendo exclusives, a few nice indies and (coming soon) Virtual Console.

dadjumper

Mobile blows for anything not specifically designed for it, and even then I'm iffy on it. Switch is dope as hell but a little clunky on the train/in my bag. I pretty much just play it in TV mode or in bed. Vita doesn't have the library.

Basically, none. I've been playing Game Boy Micro on the train lately.

fernoca

Carts on Vita almost always have everything in it. Sure, they're smaller sized, but still. For indie games, it's manageable to download those because they're small. And yes, I do pick some games to buy based on their download sizes, but if it happens quite often, then that's too bad. So, I'll wait and see on the Switch. I might pick one up on the end of its lifespan.
Thoiuh as time went on, it started showing those signs too. FFX had FFX2 as a separate download, and World of FF has no voice tracks on the cart.

On Switch, the current issue is more sbout publishers saving costs while not raising the MSRP, as there are carts able to hold said games (for NBA2K, they went with a 16GB cart instead of a 32GB cart). So one can only hope that either Nintendo starts eating the costs of the bigger games or that they're at least divided like Doom with single player ready on cart and multiplayer as an optional download.

On topic, my thing is that I love portable gaming, yet I usually play on my home. With the recent hurricanes, 3DS and Vita receive more use because I have more games on them, but Switch is a wonder with Mario x Rabbids.

Unicorn

Still the 3DS. The New 3DS, specifically is the near-perfect footprint. Clamshell design means I don't worry about the screen.

Switch is okay, since I have a pouch, but it is not convenient unless I have a large jacket pocket + somewhere to keep the joycons. Haven't felt too motivated to play switch on the go in public due to it being kind of wide/showy.

MUnited83

For you.
GPD Win is the dream device. All indies, a vast number of emulators, a lot of PS3/360 era games play amazingly, and even some more modern stuff manages to run from time to time.Not to mention remote play, and compability with virtually any controller in existence.

Agent X

Gold Member
I don't have a Switch, but I've got plenty of other portable devices for gaming. Vita is my preference, particularly because I have accumulated such a huge library of games. 3DS would be my next choice, but I only picked it up about 10 months ago, so I don't have nearly as many games for it. I rarely play games on my phone or tablet anymore, other than a few that I've had kicking around for a while.

Jodast

Switch, N3DS and GPD Win primarily with some Vita thrown in on the side.

I don't play mobile at the moment since I find my phone's screen too small for games but if GPD release the rumoured updated XD or the XD2; or another company releases a decent yet cheap ~6" tablet then I'll probably buy one and jump back into the mobile scene.

Switch.

Easily the most comfortable portable I've held, which is the biggest factor. 3DS and Vita just cramp my hands after 10-20 minutes.

I also love how flexible the Switch is. If I wanna kick back and hold it up to my face, I can do that. If I sit down somewhere with a table, I can use the kickstand and play with the Joy-Cons and not have to hold the whole thing--also great for impromptu Mario Kart sessions.

Graphics are great, actual gameplay is great, holding all my games isn't a problem (unlike my Vita), it has dual-triggers, clickable analog sticks, and battery life is actually pretty good considering the kind of visuals it can push out.

And I'm already overwhelmed with the big name games released for it. Especially Western-published games.

Extra: I also let my PS Plus membership expire over a year ago, and it showed just how few Vita games I wanted enough to actually buy them over the years.

Top Bottom