• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch, Mobile or Vita, for portable players what is your system of choice?

redcrayon

In raw playtime logged, 3DS because of the Monster Hunter games. In terms of comfort, the Vita hardware is my favourite. Only just bought a Switch, can't really argue in favour of it yet.

Vita for big catalogue that can be bought at great prices (I had sales where I ended with 5-7 games for a price of single new PS4 title)

Switch for the future support (last existing handheld which we will have) - through I have to buy one yet.

ffvorax

I don't own a Switch and won't buy it probably (until some games that I care come out, but there are still no announcement for these... Phoenix Wright where are you? And waiting for an only portable version of the hardware).
I own a 3DS but I used very little and have many games still to start on the shelf... (I loved the DS, but not liked the 3DS catalogue much... but I needed to play the new Phoenix Wright and Bravely Default! Hate the useless 3D feature.)
I play just Dragonball Dokkan on Mobile, tryed some other games in the past years but just short experiences...
I use a lot my PSVITA, all digital, I like the games available for it, the exclusives, I feel comfortable and not tiring using it for long time. (way better than the PSP)

m00h

Banned
For me, as the best fit between games catalogue (right now) and portability is the 3DS. The console itself is quite portable and fits well in my pocket. I hate protection cases so the build factor of the 3DS with the screens always being protected is a plus.
I love my Switch and I'm eagerly waiting for the great games that will be released during the next few months. Even tough, I find myself enjoying the Switch more docked instead of using it in portable mode. That's probably because I find some things in Zelda not easy to see on the Switch screen.

Clov

If I had to choose, definitely the Switch. Love the bug screen and the controllers. Vita is a close runner-up.

Depends.

For mobile gaming at home, I can see Switch being my main focus in the future. I already use that portability feature way more than I thought unless it is Zelda which just seems more natural/epic on the big screen.

For moble gaming when I travel, Vita and 3DS, they're more portable and take less space since I usually travel light.

For games themselves, I still have a backlog on both Vita and 3DS... even DS and PSP... and I think even a few on GBA... which is a nice thing actually since they're "pull out of shelf and play" while backlogs on consoles may stay forever the backlog as soon as I put older systems in the box when new systems release. I also like that all of these systems have childhood favorites of mine available next to the new releases. And they have specific uses, like my PS Vita is my Falcom/PS1&2 classics/rhythm game paradise, my 3DS has Nintendo games and all sorts of amazing classic JRPG series. This year, I jumped back and forth between Vita and 3DS.

Mobile itself had its promises, but really I don't think I've finished many games. There were some standout titles (like Monument Valley, the Cave shooting games and I liked the Crazy Taxi port) but nowadays, my smart device is too weak to play recently releaed games. And I really do not like the controls most of the time and prefer to... just communicate, read and neogaf on them.

The Switch... I am looking forward to this becoming both a mix of 3DS and PS Vita style series while making true on the promise of console style games available on the go - or lets say, everywhere, since mobile gaming at home also gives you lots of freedom of choice (e.g. this summer, when it was reeeeaaaallly hot in Germany and mind you, we do not have air conditioners, picking up a portable vs. using several big, heat-generating devices to play on console was a great thing to keep temperatures at least tolerable). Though I am sceptical regarding the mobile part in one aspect: the best handheld games were already quite high on production values but kept in mind shorter play sessions with their mission/level structure. A game needed to work both in 20 minute playtime and 2 hour playtime. Console ports usually were impressive and nice to have, but also not something to really consider playing on the way to work vs. a focused handheld game where 20 minutes mean actual progress (aka finishing a stage or mission).

Joey Ravn

Banned
New 3DS. Amazing library, amazing homebrew scene.

I haven't used my Switch yet, and I play a Vita game every two months or so.

Opa-Pa

I own an n3DS, Vita and Switch, and I'd rather only play on my Switch since it's the best in all accounts, but obviously I just play whatever has the game I'm currently interested in.

For library, 3DS, but taking into account everything, Switch by far. It's a handheld that doesn't feel compromised, and is incredibly flexible and allows local MP on a single device.

Trunx28

Vita is the GOAT handheld, so many great games. Got a second life with Henkaku.
But my go-to-gaming device right now is the iPhone .. damn you, Fire Emblem Heroes. Why are you so addictive.

My son (12) is always switching (HA!) between his 2ds and his Switch. He would probably play the later a lot more if he had more games (right now it's only Bomberman and ARMS). Will change with Mario and the upcoming Pokemon RPG, though. The 2ds is his Pokemon/Monster Hunter machine.

Celine

The point is that I'm sometime a portable gamer, sometime I want to play on a TV when I'm home and sometime I enjoy to do local multiplayer sessions at work.
This is where lies Switch strength.
Switch isn't a standard console, it's a new approach to make gaming more flexible in compatibility with modern lifestyle.

Also I add that older handheld consoles like GBA, DS and PSP are still good to play (mainly due to rechargeable battery and backlit screens although under direct sun light it may pose a problem).

Vita, sooo much games. I own about 300 Vita games...

3 Ys games
3 Dongonronpa games
Marvel vs Capcom 3
3 Abe games
TxK
2 Coldsteel games
Persona 4
Lot’s of great ps2 remakes like sly collection, metal gear sold collection, ff X,x2
Lovely indiessss

Switch since launch, but I'll play a good game wherever it lands. Switch launch hasn't stopped me from taking my 3DS or Vita with me to play stuff like Devil Survivor 1+2, or Fallblox, or Ys VIII, or Utawarerumono 2.

Vita, Play Vita games when traveling to and back from work. Remote play PS4 when I am away from home or the Mrs has hijacked the main TV.

Vita, at least for another year or so while I get through my insane backlog. Then we'll have to see, but while releases are slowing in 2018 there's still plenty I want to get.

Felensis

Banned
Vita. Love it for it's small and comfy size and still gorgeous tech as well as awesome library of games. Huge backlog here, will keep my busy for a long time.

flohen95

My handheld gaming time is pretty equally split between 3DS, Vita and Switch. It used to be roughly 2/3 3DS and 1/3 Vita, but with the Switch out, 3DS has taken a hit.
There's also a dash of GBA and PSP in there, so I've got all bases covered.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
3DS, switch and a tablet. I don't play on phones and I don't have a vita.

T.O.P

Banned
Switch and an S8 (Pokemon Go only tho)

Might grab a 2DS Pokeball edition lter this year to play Ultra Moon...i don't see the point of owning a Vita atm

maxmars

Stopped playing on my phone since the Switch launched, with its cool mix of console-quality and indie titles on a portable machine.

Realistically I gotta go with mobile because of emulators and the large library of games.
But honestly I would go with Vita because it also has PSX/PSP library +PS4 Remote play.

Lol vita

Switch if I actually mean to game. Phone if I'm just killing time on break or a short commute. Had an hour+ today, switch killed it. Is beautiful on planes and shinkansen. Mario run has been pissing me off for shortish. Gotcha for short.

Mr YuYu

Portable as in playing outside. None. I only play inside the house.

But I use the vita a lot for the remote play feature. I can play ff12 remastered while the wife watches some TV. :)

I also have a 3ds but I don't use it that often.

Metalmarc

Switch, 2 shoulders, 2 triggers, non proprietary memory cards and newer games and the ability to use a gamepad in portable mode from day one, so no hacks or apps

Used to be my vita till it stopped getting games i liked, the games I wanna play now are on Switch or coming on Switch

WWE
NBA
Doom

Dont like playing games on my tablet or phone

oti

Banned
Switch has the best hardware
3DS has the best software
Mobile has the best portability but the worst software
Vita has nothing
other than Persona 4 Golden

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Since I changed countries for a semi-long period, the only gaming device I brought with me is my GDP Win. So, that one. I like it, but I don't recommend it, though.

Switch has the best hardware
3DS has the best software
Mobile has the best portability but the worst software
Vita has nothing
other than Persona 4 Golden

Muramasa >>> P4G.

kubricks

Since I changed countries for a semi-long period, the only gaming device I brought with me is my GDP Win. So, that one. I like it, but I don't recommend it, though.
Muramasa >>> P4G.

But....
Odin sphere leifthrasir >>> Muramasa >>> P4G

Vita because of trophies and amount of games in my backlog and have played over 200 already. When Rocket League comes to the switch if it's a good version then may very well get it for that and Zelda but at the moment can't justify the purchase

Vita, because it has the kind of games I like and and its size is just right.
Since it's probably at the end of its life-cycle, I'll end up buying a Switch eventually. Either if it proves to be the natural next step for Vita developers (meaning they won't just commit themselves to PS4) , or when they release a more portable form factor..

maouvin

Vita. Huge backlog there, plus a bunch of games I missed and another bunch launching next year, so this won't change for a while.
Switch might get more use as a portable when I begin playing something that isn't Splatoon.
I don't play games on my phone.

CTLance

3DS is the most mobile friendly of the current offerings. The clamshell design and small formfactor make it perfect for that quick pick up and play session on the go. The step counter and street/spotpass add a minuscule amount of fun to the act of carrying it around with you everywhere.

Second place is a wash, really. Currently leaning a bit towards the Switch, but it's really hampered by the bigger size and ass-backwards flap on the game card slot. And the fan, which means you can't simply put it into a pocket or lint will gradually invade the system. Nonetheless, still pretty portable, and the sleep/resume function is perfect for portable gaming.

Vita s a Mini Switch, kind of. Still has more games, but at this point in time it's dead, or if we are being diplomatic, near the end of its life. So if you have one, it's great, but whether it's really worth an investment nowadays is debatable.

Mobile is mobile. Loads of different systems, at least two competing platforms, and an insane amount of games. Many (some might even say most) of them are F2P trash though. (disclaimer: F2P doesn't mean a game is inherently bad, but it's far too easy to make a game unfun if it's F2P.) Unless you want to pack in an extra controller, you're forced into touchscreen controls, which may limit your enjoyment - however, you're always carrying a smartphone with you. So this is more of a side console, of sorts. Plenty of disposable fun, some great games, but ultimately kind of a jack of all trades, master of none.

MightyKAC

Vita for me.

- Biggest library.
- Fits in my cargo pants.
- Best controller layout.

Don't get me wrong, I do indeed love my Switch. And of course things will change when it's library starts to fill out. But it is WAY too big to whip out and put back quickly when I'm riding the train. Also, not having a standard D-pad on the base unit means that some game I just won't wanna play on it when I'm on the go. (2D Platformers, fighting games to name a few).

In terms of portability, definitely the 3ds, I use it loads plus it's the only one I actually take with me plays to play stuff. Even though my Switch gets a ton of use, it's mostly as a home console & Vita gets some use but it doesn't really go anywhere any more.

The 3DS is up there with the SNES and PS2 in terms of sheer quantity and quality of library. It's still my portable system of choice and likely will be for several years yet.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
3DS, Switch and Vita, depending on what I am playing. Sometimes also GBA SP (for GB(C) games), Nintendo DS Lite (for DS & GBA games) or PSP.

It would be Switch, if I could justify buying one yet. I don't get any use out of my Vita anymore, I've played most of the things I want to. Mobile isn't a real platform to me.

Edit: Bought a 3DS years ago, never bought a single game. Mistaaaaaaake.

Usobuko

Banned
I love the 3ds games a lot more but adores the hardware and comfort of Vita.

No switch yet though.

If a game is only available on 3ds and Vita, I'll pick the later. If it's available on other platforms too, then I'll pick the superior version unless there's no difference which is rare except for indies. And I don't play indies much.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Play my 3DS daily so. Can't get a Switch until the end of next month and then I'll probably disappear into Mayro forever

Top Bottom