• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch, Mobile or Vita, for portable players what is your system of choice?

blubb

Neo Member
Since I still have an obscene backlog of DS/3DS games it is (3)DS on the go. Switch I can get away playing 'only' on the TV. Once my Switch backlog hits a critical level (probably mid 2018) it will get priority. Phone games are only a last resort when I forget to bring real games. And once in a blue moon when I feel like it the Vita.

EdgeXL

Generally, Vita. It was an indie powerhouse. I am hoping Switch takes on that role paired with Nintendo's excellent first party titles.

Thoiuh as time went on, it started showing those signs too. FFX had FFX2 as a separate download, and World of FF has no voice tracks on the cart.

On Switch, the current issue is more sbout publishers saving costs while not raising the MSRP, as there are carts able to hold said games (for NBA2K, they went with a 16GB cart instead of a 32GB cart). So one can only hope that either Nintendo starts eating the costs of the bigger games or that they're at least divided like Doom with single player ready on cart and multiplayer as an optional download.
Yeah, World of Final Fantasy sucks in that regard, but at least with X and X-2 you can both buy them without downloading.

I know this isn't an issue for most people, but it is still an issue for a few of us, who are sincerely hoping the games that do this are few and far between, or at least games that we don't want to play, heh.

Benedict

Vita. Been an important part of my life as a parent.
Will probably buy a second Vita before they get even more difficult to get hold of.
Haven't tried the Switch, hoping for a second revision.

bobawesome

Still prefer the Vita and GPD Win over the Switch. I have more games to choose from and both have a way better battery life.

batrush

Switch with its mediocre battery life and limited catalog stays home 99% of the time. new 3DS (non-XL) is my go to portable since it's pocketable and has decent battery life. Killer library in quality and variety to boot. My Vita library is mostly visual novels and story heavy stuff, so I don't really take it with me unless I plan to be out for a while.

hongcha

Vita and 3DS. I only have a couple games for my Switch, haven't played it in weeks, probably won't touch it until Mario Odyssey. Until then it sits in a drawer. Meanwhile I have a huge backlog on my Vitas (USA and Japanese) and 3DS (Japanese) to play through. I don't really play mobile games anymore.

v1perz53

Vita is far and away the best true portable hardware, between battery life, suspend/resume, size and controls, while 3DS has a bit superior of a library so for true portable I alternate between both based on the game. Switch is great, but definitely too big to be truly "portable". Solid for playing around the house or longer trips like plane rides, but too bulky to take anywhere I am not bringing a bag, while my Vita or 3DS easily fit in a pocket.

Mobile is way out of the discussion, while there are perfectly acceptable mobile games, they pale in comparison to the other options if you want a more full gaming experience.

ghibli99

In order of how much I currently play them: Switch > 3DS > Vita >>>>> mobile

Love the first 3 systems pretty much equally though.

Jimrpg

Vita - ergonomics, the screen is a nice size, great physical buttons, and I have a huge backlog of games on it. I'll get a switch once I'm done with my Vita backlog. There's no rush.

Vita. Been an important part of my life as a parent.
Will probably buy a second Vita before they get even more difficult to get hold of.
Haven't tried the Switch, hoping for a second revision.

I just bought my second one this month. Sounds like there aren't going to be many Vita annoucements at TGS, so its probably at the end of its life. It's not exactly 'worth it' to pay full price, but it is to me, because I have about 80 games on the system.

Quonny

Mobile. Gacha games, web browser, social media, music, podcasts, YouTube, Twitch, so on.

I'm not carrying around an extra device when my phone does all that.

3DS - well, 2DS if you want to be specific. I already have a bunch of games I want to play for it and several others I need to get (let alone several others that haven't released) so there's plenty there for me to sink my teeth into. I'm still considering getting a Vita but haven't really decided yet, and as for a Switch, it's a matter of time as to when that will be bought (not if) but I want the library to flesh out first. In the meantime there are other games to play.

zoodoo

Using switch only these days as my vita left stick is busted. I have ordered one and it's coming in a month. I still have odin sphere, dragon quest builders, world of final fantasy and digimon to play. I love my vita.

Ventara

Right now I'm mostly using Vita/3DS. I have a Switch, but I've already finished BotW and nothing major for me until Mario Odyssey.

b3b0p

3DS

With no intention of getting a Switch. I'm content with my DS/3DS/VC library. It should last me through retirement.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Mobile and Switch are all I need nowadays. 3DS still around because of that library and upcoming exclusive like Etrian Odyssey V... Vita hadn't been touched/used in ages.

Owning all three, I am more a Vita guy, but more because it's tied into the trophy ecosystem. I quite like certain aspects of the Switch, ergonomically speaking, but its failings in other respects do not provide any enticement to play games on it that are available elsewhere.

Mobile is fine, I just don't care for touch-screens as the exclusive input mechanism.

BooJoh

I bring my 3DS and Switch with me when I go out, but I'm far more likely to play my 3DS as I have to disassemble/reassemble my Switch to carry it with me, plus 3DS still has a ton of stuff I want to finish.

anddo0

1-Vita- huge library. I still have more than 2 dozen games on there I need to tackle.

2-Switch- Is my future. I see quite a few upcoming titles that interest me.

3-Mobile= I only play paid games (Google rewards makes this easy). Great way to play old (some new) PC ports on my phone/tablet; Motorsport Manager Mobile 2, Shadowrun games, KOTOR)

EricB

It really depends on the game for me as I own pretty much all available portables. Currently, I am playing Metroid and Dragon Quest VIII on 3DS, Ys VIII on Vita, and the Octopath Traveler demo on Switch. Depending on which I happen to fancy on any particular day, I rotate between the systems. Today it is Metroid on 3DS.

I also play on my PSP Go whenever I have the chance because I adore that system.

As for mobile, I have a ton of games and always have my iPhone with me, but it just isn't fun to me so I rarely play anything. Mobile seems to grow less appealing as time goes by, especially since several of the games in my backlog are no longer compatible with my device. A few years ago I was buying games left and right, but I can't remember the last game I purchased as my habits have changed drastically.

Switch is ideal for me. I like the big screen and the full controls. Once the library is a bit bigger, I'll have it on me all the time.

The Vita's got a hell of a catalog and a great form factor, and I love the little underdog.

The N3DS is the perfect version of the 3DS lineup, but I'm tired of the low resolution and the poor analog stick stand ins. And the ZR/ZL are bad replacements for an L2/R2.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Just spent my flights out and back playing with on the plane. It's godly and I travel with it always now

autoduelist

Vita for games, ecosystem, comfort, amazing suspend mode, battery life, and ecosystem [both psn bux and trophies].

Tried 3ds, ios, and android... all failed. Planning on getting another 3ds to play Etrian... but I know i'd prefer the games were just on my vita.

GamerJM

Banned
Vita mostly because it's the one that's actually portable in the "fits in your pocket" sense (playing mobile games on a phone instead of tablet drains battery too quickly), and the one with an actually functional d-pad.

I consistently use my Switch, Vita, and three different 3DS systems though. I use 3DS more than anything else, but ideally I'd be playing my Vita the most if the three platforms all had the same library.

I gotta say I've started to go back to my GBA SP for on the go. Really great bite size gaming catalog and crazy awesome form factor. I really want to try a AGS 101 modded original GBA.

My n3DS XL has seen a lot of use too recently just being able to revisit some SNES titles on the go.

My Switch and previously Vita are really play at home consoles for me.

If I didn't have a GBA, being able to use the 3DS VC for GBA(homebrew)/GBC/GB is pretty insane.

Zambayoshi

I've played just over half of my 220 Vita games (incl. PSP and PS1) and completed just over a quarter of them. I'm good for a while.

I don't have a Switch but might look into getting one in a year or two.

I don't like Mario or Zelda.

My phone is for texting/calling/photos.

Switch, but lately, my 3DS is getting some time thanks to Metroid: Samus Returns. Once I'm done with that, and when Steamworld Dig 2 and Pokken Tournament DX is out, it's back to the Switch full time for me.

Top Bottom