• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch or Switch Lite?

So, I'm interested in buying a Switch. Would I be better off getting a Switch or a Switch Lite? I've heard of the Joy-con drift issue and how that is a big problem with the Switch Lite. Also, how does a Switch look on a 4K display when it's docked since it's not in 4K?

Finally... What games do you recommend?

Thanks for all your help.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I would say regular Switch, you still have the option to both play on your TV and portable and some games like Astral Chain and Bayonetta are better played with pro controller.

Last edited:

-MD-

My joycons drifted 2 days after launch on the original unit so you'll probably not be avoiding that.

I'd personally recommend the normal switch since I play mine docked 100% of the time. I think it looks great on a 4k tv.

Fbh

I'd go with the regular one.
At least personally I probably use my switch in docked mode like 50% of the time. It also makes local coop way more fun.

I think how good it looks on a 4K TV will depend a bit on how good of a job the TV does with the upscaling. I had mine hooked up to a mid tier 55" 4K Samsung TV from a couple of years ago and it looked fine IMO.

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned
I haven't tried the Lite, but I still say regular Switch is better.

There are times when I only grab it out of the charging cradle and never use it on the TV, and then other times when I really only use it on the TV. Not having the option seems like a downgrade to me. I mean...it's called a Switch for a reason..

Jooxed

Gold Member
I use both the Lite and the OG, the lite feels more comfortable in handheld. For your reasoning's I would get the OG Just make sure you buy this one. I have a 4k TV. It looks fine I can snap a couple picture later and DM them to you if your super worried about it

a7MU6dv.jpg

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
I would never recommend a Lite to anyone, unless you already owned the OG and just needed a second unit for travel. It'd be disappointing to never have the option of connecting to your TV, or even of pulling each joycon off during travel for quick split multiplayer with a friend. So get the original, and only think about the Lite later.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
So, I'm interested in buying a Switch. Would I be better off getting a Switch or a Switch Lite? I've heard of the Joy-con drift issue and how that is a big problem with the Switch Lite. Also, how does a Switch look on a 4K display when it's docked since it's not in 4K?

Dont listen to them. There was a few problems of the consoles. definitive go for Nintendo Switch, Honestly Nintendo Switch lite is Horrible, and the best part of SWITCH Is the dock, so go for it.

Go for Exclusive games, Zelda Breath of the wild, Links awakening, Astral chain, FE Three houses, Luigi mansion.

Avoid, Remothered for Nintendo Switch, is a horrible port.

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
OG Switch. You'll experience drifting on both anyway, and docked looks mighty fine on a 4K set.

Get Mario Odyssey to begin with, and Mario Kart 8.

If I get a Switch. I'll likely be buying it from HSN in installments. I just can't afford the whole thing at once right now. I wonder if the models are the new red box ones with the improved battery? I guess it'd be luck of the draw with that one. :pie_thinking:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
If you are a handheld on the go gamer . Go lite.
My old switch only gets used for tv gameplay.
What i rarely do as most switch games look fugly on the big screen

DESTROYA

What the hell is that thing? :messenger_open_mouth:

I like this better:
61AXbLylGWL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
I have that pair of joy cons and they work great they are Hori split pad pro and yes a would get a regular Switch over a lite every time.

Last edited:

Zog

Banned
It's like choosing between a car with headlights and a car without. The car with headlights can be driven in the day and the night but the car without headlights can't be driven at night.

ViolentP

I own both and I am primarily playing handheld. Being the case, I prefer the Lite. However, text size tends to be an issue. So in conclusion, I don't know what you should do.

Some games look better on the TV, some much better (Xenoblade 2), some worse but with a normal Switch you have all options, so i would go with the normal model: More options, better graphics in some games (on TV), better batterylife, bigger screen

Games depend on your taste, i guess everyone should play Breath of the Wild, if you like Mario buy Mario Odyssey too. Xenoblade 2 and Torna DLC is a fantastic J-RPG and my favorite Switchgame besides Zelda, theres also Dragon Quest 11 S, Ys8, a bunch of old Final Fantasys, Octopath, ,,,

Fire Emblem is a fantastic strategy game with a great story. Astral Chain and the Bayonettas are good Action games, theres Luigi, theres lots of ports which are a good fit to the handheld-hybrid and lots of good indie games.

TheContact

what this ultimately comes down to is how do you intend do use the switch? If you want to be able to dock it while also play it portable then the original switch is a no brainer. If you have no intention of docking it and only want to use it for portable gaming then get the switch lite. It really is that simple.

I traded in my OG Switch for a Lite, and haven't regretted it for a second. I mostly played in handheld mode anyway, and the Switch Lite is better at that. The Switch is now used as a (3)DS or PSP, and I like it that way.

What model you should buy is very dependant on your own usage. Do you expect to hook it up to the TV regularly? Would you prefer playing with a regular controller, instead of small sticks and buttons? Do you want to play local multiplayer? If you can answer these questions, it's going to be simple. If you're not sure, go with the OG model so all options are open.

Mista

Banned
I don’t know what are your priorities so I can recommend any of the Switches. Anyways get the regular switch unless you’re going to use the switch 100% handheld then get the lite

I play on a 4K and it’s not bad at all. Some games looks way better on the tv and some looks better on the switch screen so it’s inconsistent

Cattlyst

I'd say regular Switch personally. Being able to connect to a TV really does add an extra dimension to it. That said, I only saw a Switch Lite in 'the flesh' for the first time a few days ago and I was stunned by how small it is in reality. Photos online don't really do it justice.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Swtich Lite would've been the superior switch had it not been for the neutered usb port. It's gamecube digital-a/v port amputation all over again.

Last edited:

ROMhack

Will Nintendo do a Christmas sale this year? There's a few games I want but I'm holding off because I swear it should be round the corner.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
If you actually want to Switch then the OG one is what you want. If you prefer worse battery life, smaller screen, and being able to play only in handheld then get the Lite. Nintendo use BOTW as a benchmark for battery life.

Standard Switch can do 5.5 hours of BOTW. The Lite can only manage 4 hours. Overall, the Lite is rated at 3-7 hours battery and the Standard is 4.5-9 hours.

As for drift, it's an issue there is no denying it but it's not as widespread as some like to make it out to be. I've played 6 different Switch consoles (5 standard + 1 Lite) and none of them exhibited this issue. I've had trouble with buttons sticking or losing connection but not drifting. Anyway, even if you are unlucky enough to get drifting just send it to Nintendo and they'll fix/replace it.

Will Nintendo do a Christmas sale this year? There's a few games I want but I'm holding off because I swear it should be round the corner.
probably not.

here for Black Friday the Switch stayed mostly at £280 (the price it launched at). You could get a game with it for about £299. The Lite was down to £180 from £199.

Last edited:

ROMhack

probably not.

here for Black Friday the Switch stayed mostly at £280 (the price it launched at). You could get a game with it for about £299. The Lite was down to £180 from £199.

You think even for eshop? I did see the black sale one but assumed they might follow up with a Christmas sale.

I want FFIX and Baba is You but if i see them go down to 50% I'll have to go postal and nobody wants that.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Regular. The number one thing that can break are the joycons. At least you can get a new set to replace them.
yup. i broke my joy cons (that's what i get for being curious and opening it up and trying to take it apart) and i just sold both on eBay and bought new ones. if that was a Lite that broke then i'd need to replace the entire console.

You think even for eshop? I did see the black sale one but assumed they might follow up with a Christmas sale.

I want FFIX and Baba is You but if i see them go down to 50% I'll have to go postal and nobody wants that.
eShop is worse. the prices on there are ridiculous. BOTW is still priced at £60 here so any sales won't really be worth it. even if it got a 30% discount it'd still be cheaper to go buy a copy off Amazon.

suppose it depends on the game. i wouldn't expect Nintendo titles to discount much. still, the discounts i've seen are underwhelming.

Last edited:

ROMhack

eShop is worse. the prices on there are ridiculous. BOTW is still priced at £60 here so any sales won't really be worth it. even if it got a 30% discount it'd still be cheaper to go buy a copy off Amazon.

suppose it depends on the game. i wouldn't expect Nintendo titles to discount much. still, the discounts i've seen are underwhelming.

Yeah, I don't expect anything from Nintendo's own IPs. BotW was in the last sale though for £41.

Top Bottom