• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch Pro Controller weird battery issue

RCU005

I have a Zelda Pro Controller that I purchased at launch last year. I stopped using for several months, so I had to recharge it fully since battery was depleted.

When I use it, the Switch shows a notification that battery is low just below 2 hours of use. 10 min later max, it powers off and shows a notification saying battery depleted.

The first thing I thought was, battery is messed up and I just get a replacement. However, this doesn't seem to be the case.

I connected the controller to my iPhone and it says it has 100% battery. Then I connected the controller again to the Switch, and it says it has full battery. While I haven't tested it yet, I imagine I would be able to play for two again, maybe.

I would also like to try to use it somewhere else, but I don't have like games on PC or iPhone to test it out.

It seems like the problem is not the battery, but the way it is managed via software on the Switch. The Switch is saying the battery is depleted, but the battery seems fine. I am afraid there would be something wrong with the switch since it's also a Zelda Edition, not easily replaced.

Tams

Have you tried removing it from the Switch and then resyncing it? Then also making sure your Switch's firmware is up to date.

I assume it's out of warranty, so you could replace the battery. It's not a hard swap. Or you could buy a new Pro Controller and swap the shells (a bit more involved, but fairly easy). If you do the latter, I suggest also buying a shell kit as it will come with a long shaft screwdriver.

Last edited:
Top Bottom