• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch Pro Rumors Are Heating Up…

rupturefarms

Neophyte
Go and read the rest of markomaro's tweets, guy gets way more wrong than he gets right.

I'd also be really surprised if Nintendo decided to use a remaster of a 20 year old game to promote their shiny new console.

If we wait long enough, eventually Nintendo will announce another version of the Switch. Personally, I'm good with my launch Switch until there's a meaningful spec upgrade, akin to at least what they did with the New 3DS line. Otherwise, I'll just wait for a full successor.

I think that given how well Switch is doing, Nintendo still has a few years before sales dry up and a successor is needed. I would love a more powerful Switch, so if these rumors ever do pan out, I'd be very happy and would definitely buy it, if it ran games better, especially in TV Mode.

Would be just like Nintendo to release an OLED lite, so unnecessary. But classic Nintendo. Hope it's something good, getting long in the tooth now for sure.
When it comes to some Nintendo revisions it's really down to cost and availability.

They mostly went OLED because it was readily available even against the LCD. If that's ever true for the lite model you can bet they'll put out.

There may be credence to these rumours. Nintendo likes to release a new home console every 5-6 years. They have done this consistently for the past 30 years since the SNES.

The Switch was launched on 3 March 2017. That was 5 years and 4 months ago. With signs of large bills for raw materials all I'm saying is this. Curious.

Reaction GIF

Last edited:

amigastar

i got a 3080 recently. i was trying to remember the name of these emulators. i want to try Odyssey and such. Are they easy-ish to set up? Gamepad support? I'll watch a vid later.
Yeah, they are pretty easy to set up. Easier than PCSX2 for example. I'm talking about Yuzu, i haven't tried ryujinx.
But you need more of a good CPU rather than a GPU. 2 times HD resolution runs great on my 11700k.

Last edited:

ParaSeoul

Wondering wtf would even be powering a hypothetical Switch successor. Everyone expects big gains but we'll probably just get two Switches taped together kinda like a Gamecube to Wii jump

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus
I'd legit think about selling my Steam Deck for a Oled Switch Lite and if Nintendo decided to grease my pole and make it dockable well, that would be a purchase for sure.

Nintendo Switch Advance

There may be credence to these rumours. Nintendo likes to release a new home console every 5-6 years. They have done this consistently for the past 30 years since the SNES.

The Switch was launched on 3 March 2017. That was 5 years and 4 months ago. With signs of large bills for raw materials all I'm saying is this. Curious.
Right. It's just we're in a different time now, and Nintendo's been very direct in saying through the Switch's cycle thus far that because it is continually selling so well and sales didn't peak at the normal 3 or 4 year mark like with a traditional console, that Switch will have a longer-than-normal life, and they will do what they can to sustain that, for as long as they can. I really doubt there will be a successor to Switch before 2024, at the earliest.

Last edited:

Ev1L AuRoN

There is no guarantee a Switch successor will continue the momentum Nintendo is currently enjoying, I think they will wait the sales start to decline before killing their most profitable console ever and announce the next-generation.

There is no guarantee a Switch successor will continue the momentum Nintendo is currently enjoying, I think they will wait the sales start to decline before killing their most profitable console ever and announce the next-generation.
Definitely. But I also think with changing times, and console generations no longer resetting everything to zero like they used to, Nintendo may go down the path of branching the Switch off into new platforms, and having full compatibility with Switch software. I could imagine a high-end Super Switch with 4K output that allows me to carry over all the content from my OG Switch, like how you can seamlessly move from Xbox One to Series X|S. Even allowing you to use your Pro Controller.

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
I'm tired about this switch pro obsession... People who bought a switch don't care about graphics or resolution, because for that already exist sony and microsoft consoles. And even a switch pro won't be able of compete in powerful with a next gen console so what is the deal?
Sure, Xenoblade 3 looks just amazing on those, can't understand the obsession either.

Deanington

Switch Pro rumors were always bullshit, and they still are.

What is most likely happening, as it should be obvious enough, is that Nintendo is gearing up to release the first 10th gen system, the Switch 2(or whatever the name ends up being), as the Switch will enter its 7th(!!!) year in 2023.

Fuck, can time slow down please?

At this point, there is just no chance there is a new model of Switch releasing before 2023. OLED isn't even a year old, and it's peak sales are hampered by supply constraints. Nintendo is over 5 years into this platform, and still haven't even had to implement a price cut. With all the software coming out the rest of the year, Splatoon 3 OLED set, I think people should be very patient and see what happens in early 2023. Nintendo is not going to announce new hardware during the holiday season, even if something is coming in early 2023. They'll wait until January.

Right. It's just we're in a different time now, and Nintendo's been very direct in saying through the Switch's cycle thus far that because it is continually selling so well and sales didn't peak at the normal 3 or 4 year mark like with a traditional console, that Switch will have a longer-than-normal life, and they will do what they can to sustain that, for as long as they can. I really doubt there will be a successor to Switch before 2024, at the earliest.

That's a good point.

I don't think it would make sense for Nintendo to sacrifice the huge install base they have with a new console. Who knows with Nintendo. I just wish I had a more premium home console only option. I don't care about the Switch as a handheld.

Put the money down on the Steam Deck yesterday, Don't expect Nintendo to be popping off with a new model that trumps their other models in terms of performance while still carrying Switch brand.

Kabelly

Yeah, they are pretty easy to set up. Easier than PCSX2 for example. I'm talking about Yuzu, i haven't tried ryujinx.
But you need more of a good CPU rather than a GPU. 2 times HD resolution runs great on my 11700k.
I have a i5-12600. would that be ok? i don't know how much power these emulators hog.

amigastar

I have a i5-12600. would that be ok? i don't know how much power these emulators hog.
I can't say exactly but 12600 sounds ok. You should be fine
Edit: do you have the k or non k version of the I5-12600? Either way you will be fine but K version is better.

Last edited:

Katajx

Nintendo has done almost nothing to keep my interest since switch’s year 1.

I think I am about done giving them money.
I totally get not wanting to move on from this huge install base that they have built up, but the performance is lacking.

When BOTW first launch I thought it was great, and couldn’t wait to see what they could do for a game built to take better advantage of it.

I now don’t have any confidence that we will see the sequel until they have new hardware ready instead of like Skyward Sword.

Murdoch

Wowzers. I was on the fence about replacing my Launch unit with an OLED model but somehow managed to keep my money away from Nintendo. That Splatoon 3 OLED model, Pro Controller AND case has already won me over. I'm prepared to not be able to buy one and be really angry about it, when it launches in August

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
720p in handheld mode. 1440p DLSS Quality on big screen. The Super Switch will be glorious. Not only will we have a sharper image, DLSS also provides the best anti-aliasing.

At this point, there is just no chance there is a new model of Switch releasing before 2023. OLED isn't even a year old, and it's peak sales are hampered by supply constraints. Nintendo is over 5 years into this platform, and still haven't even had to implement a price cut. With all the software coming out the rest of the year, Splatoon 3 OLED set, I think people should be very patient and see what happens in early 2023. Nintendo is not going to announce new hardware during the holiday season, even if something is coming in early 2023. They'll wait until January.

Agreed with a lot of your points. I go one further. I don't think we'll see a next-gen console from Nintendo until 3-4 years from now. Nintendo has always maintained that this gen will be longer than before, possibly running 10 years on. We are 5 1/2 years long now for the Switch, and it's still selling strong, with retailers selling the on-shelf inventory pretty quickly. Nintendo haven't needed to even do a price-drop yet to move any of the three Switch variants. The Switch still has a lot of leg left. With Splatoon 3, BOTW 2 and Prime 4 coming out within the next 6-12 months, I can see next-gen games just starting developments for the next system. So my guess is we won't see the next system from Nintendo until those softwares will be ready, and that's not until 3-4 years from now.

If I was at Nintendo I would of put Ryzen 7 6800U with 16gig of ram with igpu 680M rDNA 2.5 despite 10cu the lower resolution could possibly may keep up with sx and ps5

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
That would be the savvy business move. Need to squeeze all the juice out of this lemon. Expecting a new console before 2024 is unreasonable. Another Switch refresh with a cheaper to manufacture, die shrink? Possibly. With the manufacturing issues, even that’s unlikely.

That's a good point.

I don't think it would make sense for Nintendo to sacrifice the huge install base they have with a new console. Who knows with Nintendo. I just wish I had a more premium home console only option. I don't care about the Switch as a handheld.
I completely agree. Would love to see a console from Nintendo that plays Switch games at higher fidelity and better framerates. I don't see Nintendo splitting off again into home console vs handheld, but I think there's a chance in the next 2-3 years they'll have a way for us to play our Switch games in an upgraded fashion of some kind. Without the need to reset everything back to zero like in the past, with new consoles.

Last edited:
Top Bottom