• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch to have a network-tied account system (Dev Documents leak)

EloquentM

aka Mannny
I thought this might be important and didn't want it to get muddled in the giant leak thread

Save data and other resources on the NX system are managed at the user level for users registered to the system. Users can register and use the system even if they are not connected to the network. A Nintendo Account is required in order to use network features on the NX. As many as eight different people can register as users on each NX system, and each user can be linked to a Nintendo Account.

Accounts Place No Restrictions on Game Design
NX accounts are purposely structured to place no restrictions on the game design.
An account does not need to be selected when the NX system is started, so you can design your application to make the selection at any time. You can ask the player to select an account in the regular way when the application starts, or you can support any of the following mechanisms to suit the game design.

For a fighting game, you can let users play in practice mode without selecting an account, and wait until they enter into the real fight mode, where scores are recorded, to select an account.

For titles that feature a collection of minigames, you can switch accounts for each try of each game. In this way, high scores are are recorded for each account.
For applications like simple party games where there is no need to store save data, you do not need to support accounts at all.

The NX system supports the simultaneous selection of multiple accounts. This means that scores can be recorded separately for each user when a number of people are playing together at the same time, like a sports game in doubles mode.

There are system features in the form of an applet which facilitates the implementation of processes in the application to switch accounts and register new users. For more information, see 5.3.1 Account Management Applet and the Account Guide.

http://dystify.com/Overview/contents/Pages/Page_105383714.html
With the exception of system updates and a few other things, users must be linked to Nintendo Accounts to use the NX network features.
Nintendo Accounts

The chief characteristics of Nintendo Accounts are as follows. (For more information, see https://accounts.nintendo.com/.)
The accounts are device-spanning network accounts that can also be used from PCs and smart devices.
Users can log in to their accounts using a Nintendo Network ID (NNID) or via external services such as Google+, Facebook, and Twitter.

Linking With Nintendo Accounts
A link to a Nintendo Account can be set for each user on the NX. After an account has been logged in to on the NX, there is no need to log in again (to reenter a password), aside from a few exceptions like certain errors.
By linking to a Nintendo Account, not only will users be able to play online games on the NX, but they will also be able to use services like the following to which the link is made external to the NX.

Purchasing of content (from official websites) using smart devices and PCs.
Importing resources like NNID eCash from older hardware.
Recommending friends made in non-NX applications.

Limitations on Linking

The link between a user and a Nintendo Account can be removed at any time. After the link has been removed, the user can link to a different Nintendo Account. (The operating policy might put a limit on how often this can be done.)

A single Nintendo Account can be linked to multiple NX systems. (See Fig. 1) When multiple NX systems link to the same Nintendo Account, the user nickname and icon is synchronized across systems. However, the application's save data is not automatically synchronized across systems. On the other hand, it is not possible to either link multiple users to the same Nintendo Account on the same NX system (Figure 2), or to link one user to multiple Nintendo Accounts (Figure 3)

http://dystify.com/Overview/contents/Pages/Page_105383775.html

Femto.

200.gif

sanstesy

So when I sell my Switch, I still have my account with all the games I bought digitally tied to it and can redownload them on another Switch when logging into that account?

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Sounds like quite an improvement on the current setup.

Hell, there's even a couple of things Microsoft and Sony don't really do (or do great) right now.

mozfan12

Banned
About a decade late but holy shite Yesssss! It's about goddam time. Makes my purchase of Switch day 1 a bit easier to swallow.

That is my interpretation, yes.

Better late than never!

Better late than never indeed. Also, have we confirmed that voice chat is usable through the Switch itself? I believe that matchmaking and partying up was confirmed to be doable from the system itself.

RomanceDawn

Hmm, we can import eCash from older hardware. I assume if I've got 50 smackers lying around on the Wii U/3DS eShop and I can just send it over! Hooray!

Now just let me migrate everything I have from my Wii and Wii U VC and I will be happy. I know thats a lot to ask. Or is it?

Vena

Welcome to 2005.

You seem to have slipped into the past or woken from a severe coma (in which case, congratulations and welcome back to society is been twelve years since you fell into a comatose state). Most of us are in 2017, though a segment of the US does seem to be operating circa the 1960s.

Replying to dumb posts is boring, so I spiced it up a bit.

also

Banned
So when I sell my Switch, I still have my account with all the games I bought digitally tied to it and can redownload them on another Switch when logging into that account?
Things are still a bit unclear because there are 2 accounts. A console generated one (think NNID) that you then connect to My Nintendo account.
158501453.png

The documents state:
"The Settings menu also can be used to unregister users. When a user is unregistered, all of the save data and other resources that belong to that user are deleted."

I hope Nintendo stopped being idiots and the "resources" doesn't refer to purchases. Given that you need a MyNintendo account to be able to purchase stuff I'd hope it's all tied to MyNintendo and not the console created account but you never know with Nintendo...

Also it's 1 console account per 1 MyNintendo account but 1 MyNintendo account can be used on multiple consoles.
158502217.png

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Better late than never indeed. Also, have we confirmed that voice chat is usable through the Switch itself? I believe that matchmaking and partying up was confirmed to be doable from the system itself.

I haven't seen explicit confirmation in the dev documents but there's info hinting that it's at least possible.

gwiz210

You seem to have slipped into the past or woken from a severe coma (in which case, congratulations and welcome back to society is been twelve years since you fell into a comatose state). Most of us are in 2017, though a segment of the US does seem to be operating circa the 1960s.

*tips fedora*
They're not wrong though. This was standard on Xbox 360.

It's either "lol Nintendo doesn't even have a proper account system" or "lol welcome to 2005"... Damned if you do damned if you don't

Sigh...

The user wasn't "damning" them because they finally got their shit together. Obviously this is a good thing. But figuring something out a decade late isn't exactly worthy of praise either.

It's either "lol Nintendo doesn't even have a proper account system" or "lol welcome to 2005"... Damned if you do damned if you don't

Sigh...

I don't like to be a negative person, but it seems a little deserved tbh. I mean, it is about time. I've been a Nintendo fan my whole life but even I can agree that they were way behind on this and honestly their lack of account system has cost me money in the past which they profited off of. So in this case a little snark here or there serves them right. Nintendo did need to join the modern age in terms of things like an account system. There's no reason to defend Nintendo if people have been angered by it this.

Malus

Sigh...

Well, the "do" in this case would've been implementing common features a long time ago. No one's complaining that they're adding some common features, just that they're really late with them.

Seems like you added salt more than you did spice

also

Banned
I think you are all celebrating a bit too soon. The documents don't say whether the purchases are tied to the MyNintendo account or the console account.

I mean right now you can freely link and unlink your NNID to a compatible (same country) MyNintendo account and we all know how smooth the migration process is on 3DS and Wii U.

Granted, you can have 1 MyNintendo account on multiple Switches so it points towards purchases being tied to MyNintendo but it's not confirmed just yet.

I think you are all celebrating a bit too soon. The documents don't say whether the purchases are tied to the MyNintendo account or the console account.

I mean right now you can freely link and unlink your NNID to a compatible (same country) MyNintendo account and we all know how smooth the migration process is on 3DS and Wii U.

Granted, you can have 1 MyNintendo account on multiple Switches so it points towards purchases being tied to MyNintendo but it's not confirmed just yet.

It's good enough for me. I'm tired of I need it 100% confirmed when it's right there in the paperwork.

This seems pretty promising. No more needing to call Nintendo / file a police report if you want lost your system and want to associate it with another? Or just to disassociate your NNID if you want to sell the system and not have to worry about using it again in future if you rebuy.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
so I can create two users on my Switch and linke one of my two nintendo accounts to each.

Like..one user for my german account and one user for my japanese account?

sounds good to me!

So why hasn't Nintendo come out and clarified this issue? Why do leaks have to do the talking for a console that's launching in less than 3 weeks!?!

Terrell

They deserve it though

That may very well be. But let's not pretend as though this was an expected outcome, either. I've seen far too many threads on this subject to believe to the contrary.

Posts like "welcome to (insert year)" are a blatant troll, intended to detract from any pleasant discussion over others' happiness or relief that the worst-case scenario everyone expected didn't actually come to pass, and should not be lauded as anything remotely resembling actual commentary.

Sigh...

Nope they shouldn't be applauded for this or region locking removed. It's been standard. Also they should be embarrassed that we aren't hearing this from them directly and only from leaks and other stuff.

Spy

So if I bought two Switch consoles, would I be able to play a digital purchase on both systems at the same time?

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
I bought super mario world on my
Snes
Gba
Wii
Wii u (nintendo gave me a discount!!!)
3ds

Thank god this shit is over

Top Bottom