• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch worldwide sales top 79.87 million

Javelin

Neo Member
easily is still a tall order, depends on how quickly the ps4 dies of (If it holds another 3 years, another 20 million units isn't out of the question, if it drops faster then it gets easier)
plus Nintendo can't rest on their laurels like they were all too happy to with the wii,
Sony has already been slamming the brakes on PS4 production to make more PS5s, and unless the PS5 flops I dont see them reversing that decision. I wouldn't be surprised if they officially end production by the end of this year or early next.

Xdrive05

Part of me wants Breath of the Wild 2 to release exclusively on the Switch 2 (or Pro or whatever the next hardware is) so that maybe we'd get a chance for 60fps or a clean image on 4k sets. But if they did that they would be walking away from probably 20 or 30 million sales in the current install base. Best we can hope for is an enhanced port on the next hardware, which would be fine too.

Woopah

A lot of people who owns a Switch own those games. Anything else to play on Swtich beside those games or old ports?
Third party games and the games published by Nintendo that sold less than a million in the previous 9 months.

Romulus

Switch is an easy grab for parents, its cheap and it's a safer bet to monitor kids and really it just fits the "toy" market better. I'm glad it keeps Nintendo in the game but I want more powerful hardware. I like playing Botw on my PC at 60fps but even then I can bother to finish it for some reason. I want Metroid, star fox etc on decent hardware.

Last edited:

Animagic

Banned
Looking forward to the PlayStation hybrid console coming soon. Hybrid consoles for all moving forward. Miss me with the cloud gaming shit.

Provide me with a similar product that posses the capability of being played remotely as a handheld or on a tv with a superior library of games.
0qzPs7Q4GVmJAt67qIveESBKGmZFIyeT8PsraHXUGz4.jpg

The best and most versatile platform ever.

MagnesG

Banned
A lot of people who owns a Switch own those games. Anything else to play on Swtich beside those games or old ports?
I could give you a good answer if you want, well provided if you're not trolling not gonna waste my time lol.

The library is way smaller, I'm surprised people get so excited by those figures.
Compared to what hardware launch aligned? Oh you troll.

Mozza

nintendo is great at nurturing their ip and polish really mediocre games.

They sell pretty well considering they are so mediocre, I guess it's surprising that games like "The last of us 2" that are in no way mediocre, sell such low numbers for exclusive games, compared of course to Nintendo's exclusive mediocre games i mean. ;)

Last edited:

Hezekiah

Banned
I could give you a good answer if you want, well provided if you're not trolling not gonna waste my time lol.

Compared to what hardware launch aligned? Oh you troll.
Wii/and Wii U ports included? It's not trolling to say it has a smaller library if you exclude all the ports. Plus if you look at the relative lack of third-party support it's not surprising to see people gravitate toward those games.

Mozza

I predict Switch will be the #2 best selling console of all time after PS2 and PS4 will be #3. Unless its momentum slows down.

Without a doubt, and who knows it could pass the PS2 even, it has a lot of momentum and as yet has had no proper revision or price cut.

Mozza

Wii/and Wii U ports included? It's not trolling to say it has a smaller library if you exclude all the ports. Plus if you look at the relative lack of third-party support it's not surprising to see people gravitate toward those games.

Well considering the Wiii U only sold around 13 million consoles, these ports will be brand new games for the majority of Switch owners.

2021 is going to be monstrous for them, that's EVEN considering supply for PS5 and Series systems clearing up by H2 2021.

Quite insane, really.

Profit is the best measurement unit to see which one is more successful
realme.jpg

If you add them up cumulatively PS4 still leads (~ $36.7 billion vs ~ $27.3 billion), but there's no denying that Nintendo has easily been outpacing Sony when launch-aligned (which I guess was the point of this graphic :p).

Last edited:

MagnesG

Banned
We have always includes ports for every consoles in the calculation lest how could these hardwares survive lol since their launch, except maybe the nes.
Are we really gonna factor in 3rd party support here when Nintendo lack that since the N64 already? If we're talking about Sony/Xbox they just don't have Nintendo games, both being an offset to the math.

Switch have a pretty good library already overall.

sunnysideup

Banned
They sell pretty well considering they are so mediocre, I guess it's surprising that games like "The last of us 2" that are in no way mediocre, sell such low numbers for exclusive games, compared of course to Nintendo's exclusive mediocre games i mean. ;)
Lots of mediocre thing sell well.

Hezekiah

Banned
We have always includes ports for every consoles in the calculation lest how could these hardwares survive lol since their launch, except maybe the nes.
Are we really gonna factor in 3rd party support here when Nintendo lack that since the N64 already? If we're talking about Sony/Xbox they just don't have Nintendo games, both being an offset to the math.

Switch have a pretty good library already overall.
Yes! That's my whole entire point, third-party support is a lot less than on PS4.

I imagine it's why (along with portability) I often hear the Switch is used as a secondary console to another.

Last edited:
Yes! That's my whole entire point, third-party support is a lot less than on PS4.

I imagine it's why (along with portability) I often hear the Switch is used as a secondary console to another.

I think the key thing to look at is software sales dollars per console. Number of games sold per console used to be more relevant before indie games selling at a couple of bucks. I think overall software sales $ per console gives a better idea of how much your user base is spending. Whether that’s more or less titles is less relevant unless you want to talk about margins and we know how that story goes.

MagnesG

Banned

But PS4 doesn't have Nintendo exclusives and vice versa the exclusives Nintendo have is still bigger. Now less than 4 years in and look how the Switch library fares compared to other consoles launch aligned.

IDK man I do think Switch had already beat the 3DS library overall so it would only gonna get better from here.

Last edited:

Chastten

Banned

Like you said, stuff like that is relative. In the past 8 years there have been exactly five console games released that I can't play on the Switch right now that are/were on my wishlist. 2 of them I have on my PC, 1 I'm still waiting for to get ported from Wii U and I do expect Crash Bandicoot 4 to make it to Switch or PC at some point. Odin Sphere Leifthrasir is probably the only game on my wishlist I'll never get to play by not owning a PlayStation. The next game that I'll miss out on will probably be Granblue Fantasy: Relink. That's 2 games in a decade. That's not too bad.

3th party support for me is pretty good right now. I know some games get released later like Ys 9, but I've got plenty to play so no hurries.

Last edited:

drotahorror

Insane. I wish they would use their IPs.

Nintendo fans (including myself) are the biggest suckers.

Why put out a new Mario when you can release the previous gen's mario?
Why put out a new Mario Kart? Metroid? Donkey Kong? F Zero? Punch-Out?

When your cultists will buy anything and everything you shit out, even if it's the same exact game, and make your company insanely wealthy, there is no drive to make games.

Hezekiah

Banned
But PS4 doesn't have Nintendo exclusives and vice versa the exclusives Nintendo have is still bigger. Now less than 4 years in and look how the Switch library fares compared to other consoles launch aligned.

IDK man I do think Switch had already beat the 3DS library overall so it would only gonna get better from here.
You're talking bottom line. Put together a list of the top games this generation and most don't feature on the Switch. And the games that get the most critical acclaim. Switch games also very limited technologically. That's why it's a second console.

I could see a Cyberpunk port to the Switch Pro five years from now. Meanwhile the rest of the gaming world has moved on to play something else.

Woopah

This argument doesn't make sense thought. People don't buy a system for no reason and then buy Nintendo games because there's nothing else they want. They buy a system because it has the games they want to play.

Look at this this way. The first party sales on PS4 are very impressive and way better than many other platforms. Is that because the PS4 nothing else to play? Were the first party sales lower on all Xbox platforms and previous PlayStation platforms because they all had much better libraries than the PS4?

No it's because the PS4 is a very successful console and Sony is now good at creating lots of games that lots of people want to play. This is the exact same reason Nintendo's Switch games are doing well.

Kataploom

Gold Member
PS4's headstart doesn't really mean anything when we talk lifetime sales, but yes Switch will likely by higher than it in 2 years' time.

I'm guessing it's because they have limited manufacturing capacity. A huge proportion of PS2's sales came after the launch of its successor, and that will absolutely not be the case with the PS4
That's why it's very possible for Switch to reach PS4 WW sales by two years or less from now, considering this year is very strong in terms of software for Switch (MHR, Pokemon Snap and Mario alone are enough) and will probably sell around 25mil-30mil, putting it at around 110mil by the end of next FY.

PS4 already grew what it could, no matter the circumstances, if it could grew even more, that's another story for speculation (which would be fun to do, btw).

JimboJones

Insane. I wish they would use their IPs.

Nintendo fans (including myself) are the biggest suckers.

Why put out a new Mario when you can release the previous gen's mario?
Why put out a new Mario Kart? Metroid? Donkey Kong? F Zero? Punch-Out?

When your cultists will buy anything and everything you shit out, even if it's the same exact game, and make your company insanely wealthy, there is no drive to make games.
I'd say most people buying switch aren't hardcore Nintendo fans.
That fan base would only net you roughly 13 million sales as we seen on the WiiU

Woopah

I guess these games are not third-par
I guess these games are not third-party!?
91InW5hEU3L._AC_SL1500_.jpg
dj5dkmj7ssn51.jpg

Bayonetta-3.jpg
nmh3_logo.png
smtv-logo.png
Bayonetta 3 is a first party game and Bravely Default 2 is only third party in Japan.
That's why it's very possible for Switch to reach PS4 WW sales by two years or less from now, considering this year is very strong in terms of software for Switch (MHR, Pokemon Snap and Mario alone are enough) and will probably sell around 25mil-30mil, putting it at around 110mil by the end of next FY.

PS4 already grew what it could, no matter the circumstances, if it could grew even more, that's another story for speculation (which would be fun to do, btw).
Switch should have a strong year for software, but a lot of things are still to be confirmed (especially for the 2nd half). I do agree that Switch will probably reach PS4 sales in two years or so.

K' Dash

Wow, still so far behind PS4

Animal overrated Crossing still hasn't outsold Mario Kart 8D (a Wii U port).
We love to see it.

I'll never buy one. But I will borrow one for BOTW2.

I've outgrown Ninty.

Damn, nintendo should be grateful to Corona then.

PS4 still king though

Cool man but i already had my Switch since 2019

What i want is a ps5 right now

My condolences to 79,87 million people for buying an inferior product.

Lots of mediocre thing sell well.

giphy.gif

yurinka

Sony has already been slamming the brakes on PS4 production to make more PS5s, and unless the PS5 flops I dont see them reversing that decision. I wouldn't be surprised if they officially end production by the end of this year or early next.
PS4 has been seeling in the recent FYs (6th, 7th, 8th FY) better than all the previous consoles sold at that point of their lifetime. A few months ago Ryan said they will continue supporting PS4 for at least 2 or 3 years more because they have over 100 million active users on PS4 and only about a dozen or two million players will move to PS5 during the first couple of years or so.

It isn't something new, Sony home consoles traditionally always continued in the market several years after their succesor gets released, during a total of more than 10 years. PS4 is selling better pacing than PS2, which was in the market for over 12 years.

So no, they won't stop production this or next year.

I predict Switch will be the #2 best selling console of all time after PS2 and PS4 will be #3. Unless its momentum slows down.
Without a doubt, and who knows it could pass the PS2 even, it has a lot of momentum and as yet has had no proper revision or price cut.
I think PS4 will end selling more than Switch in the long run, because Nintendo consoles get replaced faster by their successors, PlayStation consoles keep in the market selling during more years.

PS4 had an extra Q3 at launch, and during the current FY Switch saw a spike due to the Covid. Before the spike, Nintendo knew AC was coming, but they predicted Switch was going to sell 19M this FY, exactly the same PS4 sold during this same 5th FY. This means Nintendo expected Switch would continue FY after FY performing basically the same PS4 did on each FY.

image.png

Last edited:

eddie4

Genuinely Generous
Nintendo makes consoles for families, and everyone is going to buy that shit because not everyone wants 4k 60fps, they just wanna smash bro.

Top Bottom