• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Symphonic Legends Orchestral Nintendo Concert LIVE STREAM | September 23

From the creators of last year's Symphonic Fantasies – music from SQUARE ENIX comes...

2s9ayp5.png

...a Symphonic Game Music Concert entirely dedicated to the works of Nintendo.

The event will include orchestral arrangements of music from Super Mario Bros., The Legend of Zelda, Metroid, F-Zero, Star Fox, Donkey Kong Country, Pikmin, and Super Mario Galaxy, all orchestrated and arranged by Jonne Valtonen, Roger Wanamo, Shiro Hamaguchi, Hayato Matsuo, Masashi Hamauzu, and Torsten Rasch. Tickets have long sold out, but the concert will have live video and audio streams for international viewers to enjoy. This thread can be copied to other message boards as well so that more fans can tune in.

Here is a countdown to the concert which will take place on September 23 at 8 PM (UTC).
I made the countdown link for those who have "a problem with the math" and time zones (which should be...everyone).

Live Video Stream Broadband
Live Video Stream DSL
Live Video Stream 56k / ISDN

Live Audio Stream WDR4 Web Radio

1. Fanfare for the Common 8-bit Hero
    • Original opening fanfare composed by Jonne Valtonen
  2. Star Fox :: Space Suite
    • Composed by Koji Kondo & Hajime Hirasawa
    • Arranged by Shiro Hamaguchi
  3. Super Mario Bros. :: Retro Suite
    • Composed by Koji Kondo
    • Arranged by Roger Wanamo
  4. F-Zero :: Race Suite
    • Composed by Yumiko Kanki & Naoto Ishida
    • Arranged by Shiro Hamaguchi
  5. Metroid :: Samus Aran - Galactic Warrior Suite
    • Composed by Kenji Yamamoto & Minako Hamano
    • Arranged by Torsten Rasch
  6. Donkey Kong Country :: Aquatic Ambience
    • Composed by David Wise
    • Arranged by Masashi Hamauzu
  7. Pikmin :: Variation on a World Map Theme
    • Composed by Hajime Wakai
    • Arranged by Hayato Matsuo
  8. Super Mario Galaxy :: Galactic Suite
    • Composed by Koji Kondo & Mahito Yokota
    • Arranged by Roger Wanamo
  9. The Legend of Zelda :: Symphonic Poem
    • Composed by Koji Kondo & Toru Minegishi
    • Arranged by Jonne Valtonen

Arren

I really can't wait to watch the live stream of this.

I absolutely adored last year's concert, but given my particular appreciation for Nintendo music this could be even more exciting than Fantasies. :)

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
This is going to be awesome. The last half of this concert shall be orgasmic.

I mean.. just imagine a Hamauzu arranged version of this gem!

speedpop

I really can't wait to hear what Roger Wanamo does for the two Mario suites since his Chrono Trigger & Chrono Cross arrangement last year was easily the highlight.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Is the Symphonic Fantasies CD available to buy yet?

edit: Outside of Germany?

edit: Oh good. I want this CD.

speedpop

I just love the fact that this is all going to be streamed live. What a beautiful age we live in.

Thoraxes

Hamauzu's arranged Donkey Kong music?!?

Color me sold. I will listen to anything he produces/works on after listening to Vielen Dank and his VG OSTs.

His piano arrangements are REALLY amazing things to listen to, in that he does an incredible job of really bringing music to life even when reducing ensembles to a single instrument.

Gaaaaaah, ironically i have a music class during the first hour of this concert. Anyone here wanna do the honors of TiVo'ing this thing for schedule-bound?

Azure J

Yea, so I just found out about this and now I'm ridiculously hyped. OMG Hamauzu doing Donkey Kong... After only getting into his stuff through Unlimited SaGa's amazing soundtrack and FFXIII, I'm in love with this already. Can't wait. :D

Oli

Are they going to release an album for this concert? Because that track listing makes me happy inside.

WillyFive

So how can we expect it to be arranged? With normal orchestral instruments, or more exotic ones like the ones used in their Chrono Trigger and One Winged Angel renditions?

Willy105 said:
So how can we expect it to be arranged? With normal orchestral instruments, or more exotic ones like the ones used in their Chrono Trigger and One Winged Angel renditions?
We only know that "Aquatic Ambience" is piano-based. Apart from that, you can probably expect the whole range: from orthodox to very interpretative arrangements – with some more unusual instruments here and there, perhaps.

KajunW

Borman said:
Someone record this please, Ill be in class! I still listen to symphonic fantasies.

I'll try to record and upload it to youtube, like I did with Symphonic Fantasies. Last time, I failed to record it at the highest quality, hopefully I can get the best stream to work now.

I'm particularly looking forward to the Star Fox, Metroid and Zelda suites. Hopefully they'll go way beyond the old Orchestral Game Concert recordings. That almost seems like a given, when, apparently, the Zelda suite will be 35 minutes long. Unparalleled stuff!

speedpop

That be great Kajun. Your recordings thrown up on Youtube were a blessing since I missed out on Symphonic Fantasies.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Ffuuuckkkk someone please upload this on Youtube. I wont' be up when it streams :(

Edit nm, this is gonna be in the afternoon my time zone tomorrow I think, lol

speedpop

11 more hours to go. Early night for me and then getting up when it is pitch black will be fun again.

Thoraxes

Sad day...
I have 3 hours of orchestra rehearsal (Scheherezade = Awesome!) and 2 hours of woodwind quintet rehearsal during the time that this concert is happening, so I won't be able to watch it. :(

Hopefully I can read, after it's over, about how awesome it was from you guys.
And then cry myself to sleep

DarkWish

If I did the math right, it's at 2 pm EST. I have a class at 5:30 pm EST, so that should be plenty of time hopefully. Can't wait to watch this! Pikmin music, Galaxy music... this just sounds so amazing.

Thoraxes said:
Hopefully I can read, after it's over, about how awesome it was from you guys.
And then cry myself to sleep
Dozens of people will record the concert, so you needn't be worried about missing it.

DarkWish said:
If I did the math right, it's at 2 pm EST. I have a class at 5:30 pm EST, so that should be plenty of time hopefully. Can't wait to watch this! Pikmin music, Galaxy music... this just sounds so amazing.
It's a little more than five hours until it starts. If anyone has doubts, just use the countdown link from the OP, you can't go wrong with that one.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Damn, I sort of had a chance to go see it. My sister and her boyfriend had a spare ticket. In the end none of us will be going, for various reasons (mine being that it's far away from where I live and I don't know where I'd be spending the night, etc.). Glad there's a live stream.

Listening to last year's Secret of Mana performance on youtube. It's quite good! :D

Prime Blue said:
Just to give an indication of the quality, last year's concert:

Kingdom Hearts: Secret of Mana: Chrono Trigger/Chrono Cross: Final Fantasy: Encore

And of course, the CD release, just in case. ;)
The Secret of Mana portion of this nearly brought me to tears. Thank you so much for posting this. It is incredible to see what was a very firm part of my childhood (games which were shunned by tons of people) realize the beauty that I saw in them when I played through them.

And to see an entire orchestra and chorus approach their most memorable music is mind boggligingly awesome.

Top Bottom