• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

System Shock 2 Confirmed for GOG Release! Out Now! (Via RPS)

gragy10

Ported / Updated by Night Dive (who have no track record that I can see).
And it's out tomorrow!
Interview with Night DRive & GoG reps here courtesy of Rock Paper Shot Gun:

My system is shocked.

I wonder what they mean "ported/updated by"? Hoping that means just getting it running, I do not want a modded game. I can do that myself.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Nice. I'll double dip -- buy them on GoG and again on Steam when they presumably release in August.

Edit: I don't see anything in the RPS interview that suggests the original is releasing alongside 2.

Fantastic news, my copy was lost long ago and I've been wanting to back through SS2 again with some of the graphic/sound mods that have come out in the past couple of years.

EGM1966

Replayed System Shock 2 recently with the unofficial patch - still sublime. Lost my System Shock disk a while back so I might check 1 out again too now.

FUCK. YES.

tsar%20bom%20explosion.jpg

Shantom

My system is shocked.

I wonder what they mean "ported/updated by"? Hoping that means just getting it running, I do not want a modded game. I can do that myself.

From RPS:
This release is the original version in all its glory. Fans will be able to apply the mods they know and love, and hopefully we may see some new mods from the community in the future.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
System Shock 2 shits on Bioshock from a great height. Owe it to yourself to play it.

The extras sound pretty great too.

RPS: Will there be any extras included with the GOG download? Soundtracks and the like?

Rambourg: Yes, indeed. With the help of Stephen, we’ve pulled out all of the stops to make this a virtual collector’s edition. In addition to the soundtrack, the GOG.com version of the game will have concept art, maps of the Von Braun, a interview with Ken Levine, the first pitch document, and much more.

JaseC

The interview also confirms that GoG does indeed handle the nitty-gritty side of bringing old games to modern operating systems, which explains the timed exclusivity of, for instance, Squeenix's back catalogue of Eidos games. I'd seen that mentioned before but could never dig up a source.

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
Awesome. Just saw they were supposedly coming soon now it's out tomorrow? Wow.
I own a physical copy of both but I'm double dipping in a heart beat. Great game.

Westlo

Had SS2 when it came out, amazing game which I never got around to finishing, got my disc fucked up when I lent it to a friend, one of my biggest gaming mistakes.... now I can redeem that! Will also buy the first one since I never played it.

JaseC

Any word on the Steam release?

"Soon" after the GoG release, which, if Squeenix's GoG->Steam release schedule is any indication, means six months from now (some time in August). That said, there's a chance the exclusivity window may be smaller in this case as Night Dive handled some of the work itself.

Maxrunner

So if this thing is getting released again , why isn't there a system shock 3???and remake of the first one for example?

SparkTR

So if this thing is getting released again , why isn't there a system shock 3???and remake of the first one for example?

The IP rights situation are still pretty messed up it seems. I'd imagine any publisher looking for a big release will find it too much hassle, as opposed to creating a new IP like Dead Space.

Regardless there's no way any publisher will do the SS franchise justice in today's market.

Saty

I would like to know how the money from sales is going to be divided among the many parties because as they say it themselves the rights\trademarks of the game is a mess.

Maxrunner

The IP rights situation are still pretty messed up it seems. I'd imagine any publisher looking for a big release will find it too much hassle, as opposed to creating a new IP like Dead Space.

Regardless there's no way any publisher will do the SS franchise justice in today's market.

strange, but isn't that also related with anyone re-releasing the game digitally too?

Top Bottom