• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

System Shock 2 Confirmed for GOG Release! Out Now! (Via RPS)

lotrfan

Neo Member
Monkeys are creepy, but even more if you cannot hit them (tried standing and ducking wrench). Bug or monkey god?

Probably just missing. At least I have never heard an issue regarding a bug with the monkeys. There is one rare bug (if it hasn’t been squashed with the most recent patch) where a Hybrid becomes invincible. But is really rare and has only happened to me once. If this happens try to outrun it and go to a different level or section (need to see load screen).

I decided to switch from no hacking O.S.A. to no weapons O.S.A.
sounds difficult. i'd like to hear your impressions of a psi heavy playthrough once you've completed it. I've always been interested in focusing on PSI, but i inevitably get my hands on the assault rifle and can't let go.

epmode

So I'm using the Rebirth and SST mod. Any others I should download?

You should get rid of Rebirth because it's kind of awful*. Then you should get Shock Texture Upgrade Project, Shock Music Update, Vurt's Space and Four Hundred. These mods are all incredibly faithful to the original art/sound. I'm pretty sure the music mod came from a Looking Glass employee, or at least someone with access to the original masters.

*while the models are obviously higher poly with better textures, their concepts just aren't as good.

Jarmel

Banned
You should get rid of Rebirth because it's kind of awful*. Then you should get Shock Texture Upgrade Project, Shock Music Update, Vurt's Space and Four Hundred. These mods are all incredibly faithful to the original art/sound. I'm pretty sure the music mod came from a Looking Glass employee, or at least someone with access to the original masters.

*while the models are obviously higher poly with better textures, their concepts just aren't as good.

Well I'm looking at posts like the one below and the original enemy design in that looks awful, like some bloody mutated Twilek.

If a hybrid looks like this:

hybrid-original.jpg

Then your mods aren't working. If they look like this:

hybrid-rebirth.jpg

Then your mods are working.

Man I really love this game. Fun trivia for the tragically obsessed; the officer doing your briefing during the advanced training sequence where you pick your three tours is voiced by Nate Wells, the artist who went on to design the Big Daddies in Bioshock. Also there's an Easter Egg in that section where you can make the robots dance the Macarena.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
These maintenance bots remind of me Thief II. I keep expecting them to start extolling the virtues of the Builder and Karras.

RedSwirl

Oh shit there's no way to get 5.1 for this game is there? I just thought of playing it with my Astro headphones.

epmode

Well I'm looking at posts like the one below and the original enemy design in that looks awful, like some bloody mutated Twilek.

That redesign is decent but others aren't so lucky.

Anyway, I prefer the dead eyes in the original. The redesign looks too evil. The original design better matches the voice acting too. "KILL MEEE"

Enco

wow bioshock IS systemshock 2. people waste breath saying 'well deadspace is kinda system shock 3' No this IS this.

Did any reviewers call bioshock out for pulling heavily from systemshock 2?

Did any reviewers even make the connection?

wow bioshock IS systemshock 2. people waste breath saying 'well deadspace is kinda system shock 3' No this IS this.

Even the makers of the game made the connection. It's kind of why they were both called "shock"..

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder

You mean the connection of both games being made by the exact same dev team? Or did shock being in the title in both not completely give it away?

lol

And man, it sure is nice being able to play this hassle free with the GOG version unlike the physical disc. Got all the mods I wanted installed with no trouble at all. I think the game actually looks pretty damn impressive!

Here's a couple screens I captured (through Steam, sorry!):

Max

I am not Max
I'm very curious about this game. Looking at other old FPS loved by many, I completely hate Half Life games, but I love Thief, Hexen, and Bloodlines. Ah well, I should probably focus on finishing Deus Ex first since it was a gift.
I'll most likely gift this to you when you finish DX, by that time it'll be on sale @_@

FACE

Banned
I'm very curious about this game. Looking at other old FPS loved by many, I completely hate Half Life games, but I love Thief, Hexen, and Bloodlines. Ah well, I should probably focus on finishing Deus Ex first since it was a gift.

Sounds like you'd like it.

So has anyone figured out how to make the steam overlay screenshot function work with the game?

Has to be something in cam.cfg.

So has anyone figured out how to make the steam overlay screenshot function work with the game?

Has to be something in cam.cfg.

Screenshot and Steam overlay work fine for me. I didn't do anything special either, besides install SSTool and then install a bunch of mods on top of that.

Screenshot and Steam overlay work fine for me. I didn't do anything special either, besides install SSTool and then install a bunch of mods on top of that.

In game prnt screen to the gog folder screen shot folder works fine, but the steam overlay f12 ss function doesn't for me.

Maybe it's the steam beta client.

RedSwirl

I said it in the blog post I linked, but if there's one reason I prefer SS2 over BioShock, it's because SS2 does a better job of immersing players in its world, and that's what these first person simulation RPGs are supposed to do.

Well, actually BioShock does about an equal job, but the difference is that BioShock get's in the way of that with all those assistance features. As soon as I started that game I immediately turned off the quest arrow and pretty much every other helper in the option menu, and it still wasn't enough.

When a character tells me what to do over the radio, I don't then need that objective to show up on my HUD. If a character tells me where to go, I don't need there to be a massive "GOAL" sign located there on the map. I don't need these things when the world is as well-realized as it is in BioShock.

Both of these games have an insane amount of environmental detail when you pay attention to them -- in-game signs tell you where things are, all locations have signs above them, you have a map, you can basically navigate the Von Braun and Rapture as you would if you were really there. BioShock doesn't let you do that though.

justjim89

Just got to Hydroponics. Wow. This is truly stellar. Great atmosphere, great sound, and very solid looking for a 1999 game. The entire experience is so rooted in survival horror, which is great. There's never enough ammo. Your weapons are never in good enough conotdition. You never quite have enough health. But every time I narrowly squeak by to the next objective it's a rush. I can't even describe how great it felt to finally level up enough to repair and actually use the shotgun and surplus of shotgun ammo. I'm playing marine, and mainly leaning towards weapons and maintenance.

My one frustration is even when added to Steam, I can't use the Steam tool to take in game screenshots. Any way to get this to work?

Edit: Sorry, just noticed the OT. Will post this in there.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
No Organic Replicator in the Deck 1 Cargo Bays...at least not when you first get there. I'm forcing myself to only save only after I clear out an entire section (i.e. Cargo Bay A or Cargo Bay B). Glad I chose Sharpshooter for my OS upgrade. Playing on Impossible and one AP pistol shot still destroys a kamikaze droid. Definitely gonna play some more tonight or tomorrow.

If I could retool this game I would make dieing more expensive. Like 50 nanites.

Top Bottom