• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tabata comments on Final Fantasy XV for Nintendo Switch, currently no plan

opricnik

Banned
Nobody is shocked by this, but it's not like Square hasn't been generous to Nintendo over the past decade. I bet if FFXV could "easily" run on Switch they would have considered it.

It doesn't run "easily" on Xbox one which is 4x(approx) more powerful then Switch

Maybe, but certainly not in Japan. It has managed to out sell FF2, but has only a little over 2/3rds what FF3 did.

Atleast make an attempt to look like a rational person.

For one neither did you ever mention Japan nor does japan play a key role in a franchise remaining relevant . Not anymore. It may but its far from a necessity, western market has grown considerably and then theres asia, these regions produce more than considerable numbers to be counted as a key area for a franchise and to make up for bad sales in japan
And instead of these weird spins let the man judge for himself.
XV sold 1-1.2 ish million in japan compared to ff13's 2mn.
in US XV sold approximately 50-60% more than ff13 which north of 2mn.
It shipped 6mn including digital sales in the first month.

So if 6mn shipped is irrelevan, dq9 sold less than that and almost 80% of those sales came from japan.

Make of it what you will.

Rodin

I'm not sure why so many think they companies are going to make last gen versions of games especially for Nintendo. When they designed the Switch they knew 3rd party AAA support was mostly a non-starter. They aren't stupid.
Switch not being on par with current gen consoles because its form factor doesn't allow it doesn't mean that it has last gen tech.

It doesn't run "easily" on Xbox one which is 4x(approx) more powerful then Switch

4x sounds too high, you can't just make flops per flops comparisons here. It's a lot stronger, let's put it this way. It's certainly more valid.

Remember when every rumormonger kept saying FFXV is getting ported to NX and I kept laughing at it and some of you got very, very mad about that?

I honestly don't remember many people thinking FFXV would come to NX. I think it started as a Geno rumor, and I at one point thought it was on UE4 so it could be possible, but after being told it was made on a very unstable Luminous engine I understood it would make no sense to port.

Did any other fake leaker say something about FFXV?

Pretty much this, DQ is the only franchise SE has yet to put on the path to irrelivence.

That's easy to answer, because SE is horribly mismanaged.

Lmao what?
FFXV has outsold every DQ title in less than two months, coming of from one of the best debuts of the FF franchise and on track to become among the best selling FF: FF7/FFX.

Then there's FF7R and KH3. You're claims could not be further from the truth.

Hoping ff7r or kingdom hearts makes its way

Maybe KH3. But KH1.5+2.5 is doubtful, my job(a retailer) got like the pictures for KH1.5+2.5s cover(the PAL one) earlier this week for the online website and it got the "Only on Playstation" logo on it, if that means anything these days.

Edit:
yNtUBWP.png

LordKasual

Banned
Hoping ff7r or kingdom hearts makes its way

From what we've seen of FF7R, you can forget it.

Probably KH3 too. Especially if the game is targeting 60fps.

Maybe, but certainly not in Japan. It has managed to out sell FF2, but has only a little over 2/3rds what FF3 did.

Final Fantasy (mainline) is no longer a "Japan" franchise. It makes no sense to judge it on homeland sales when it releases worldwide simultaneously and the brunt of its revenue is from out of country.

PetrCobra

If the Switch sells a lot of units and the games make easy profit, just watch any power concerns disappear overnight. As always, they are just a matter of the amount of work you're willing to put into a conversion.

Meesh

There are so many "not porting to Switch" threads these days, when there finally is some good news is I probably won't believe it lol.

True Fire

FFXV is the best selling PS4 game in Japan. You really have to take the dying market into account.

Japan will never reach its former greatness until it takes in massive amounts of immigrants (lol) or has a huge baby boom (lol).

They just need to tone down the lighting. I have used Engines like Unity and turning on/off GI and shadows is as simple as using a slider and checking a box. Unless there is something else that's taxing the system, there is no real justification why the Switch can't run a game like FFXV.

Are you for real?

Orgen

FFXV is the best selling PS4 game in Japan. You really have to take the dying market into account.

Japan will never reach its former greatness until it takes in massive amounts of immigrants (lol) or has a huge baby boom (lol).

Are you talking about the same country where a new IP sold (and is still selling) 1.5 million on a dead console? Really?

All the "FFXV didn't sell in Japan because the market is dying" should read more or at least go to the Media Create threads to inform themselves better.

Sayad

If the Switch sells a lot of units and the games make easy profit, just watch any power concerns disappear overnight. As always, they are just a matter of the amount of work you're willing to put into a conversion.
Just like how the power concerns disappeared for the Wii with graphic intensive games right? Oh, wait!...

wildfire

Banned
I've heard plenty of people make the argument that hardware power doesn't matter at all to ports if the userbase willing to buy the product is strong enough.

In this thread? Definitely not from the point you made this post. And I doubt there was more than 2 people making and repeating this claim in any other thread.

Meanwhile I can easily point to a dozen people who say the Switch can't run X game at all as if they don't realize how close or above the Switch GPU is to the minimum GPU these games support on PC.

Rodin

Just like how the power concerns disappeared for the Wii with graphic intensive games right? Oh, wait!...

Oh yes this is an outstanding example because the gap between Switch and Xbox One is totally the same as Wii vs 360!

Interfectum

The gap between Wii and PS3/360 is far, far bigger than the gap between Switch and PS4/XB1.

Oh yes this is an outstanding example because the gap between Switch and Xbox One is totally the same as Wii vs 360!

You laugh but there was someone yesterday thinking the Switch was about as powerful as the Vita.

On GAF at least, possibly elsewhere, the Switch is seen as massively underpowered. It'll probably be like this until the system gets released and we start seeing a bunch of third party ports in the wild. We'll be able to gauge it better then.

You laugh but there was someone yesterday thinking the Switch was about as powerful as the Vita.

On GAF at least, possibly elsewhere, the Switch is seen as massively underpowered. It'll probably be like this until the system gets released and we start seeing third party ports in the wild.

You mean third party ports from PS4 and One? There are any announced?

wildfire

Banned
Lmao what?
FFXV has outsold every DQ title in less than two months, coming of from one of the best debuts of the FF franchise and on track to become among the best selling FF: FF7/FFX.

Then there's FF7R and KH3. You're claims could not be further from the truth.

Final Fantasy sells very well internationally but for some reason it has done poorly on Swuare's home turf compared to Dragon Quest. Square has implied they wished they had a game that catered to both audiences well so they still value Dragonquest highly even if it has limited global appeal.

Proof you don't know what you're talking about.

On GAF at least, possibly elsewhere, the Switch is seen as massively underpowered. It'll probably be like this until the system gets released and we start seeing third party ports in the wild.

Trust me, I'm not laughing over here, I responded to that post yesterday. Even on purely a flops scale the Switch is over 10x stronger than the Vita, and far stronger in real world performance.

I think a lot of people have a fundamental misunderstanding of processing power, and in general how games are made. The only thing which could possibly prevent a game from working whatsoever on the Switch is a very poor CPU, but everything we have now points to the CPU being the stronger component, and very possibly stronger than those in the PS4/XB1. So any game should be technically feasible on the Switch.

Of course that doesn't mean we should expect ports of every (or even many) games, as the cost of developing ports likely wouldn't outweigh the returns at this point. But I will guarantee right now that if the Switch takes off like the Wii did you will see a lot of ports, as it is much more comparable to PS4/XB1 than the Wii was to PS3/360.

You mean third party ports from PS4 and One? There are any announced?

So far Steep is the only one which is purely a PS4/XB1 port I believe. It's rumored to be getting the new Assassin's Creed this year, but I think Steep is the only one officially announced yet. E3 should be interesting.

Interfectum

Trust me, I'm not laughing over here, I responded to that post yesterday. Even on purely a flops scale the Switch is over 10x stronger than the Vita, and far stronger in real world performance.

I think a lot of people have a fundamental misunderstanding of processing power, and in general how games are made. The only thing which could possibly prevent a game from working whatsoever on the Switch is a very poor CPU, but everything we have now points to the CPU being the stronger component, and very possibly stronger than those in the PS4/XB1. So any game should be technically feasible on the Switch.

Of course that doesn't mean we should expect ports of every (or even many) games, as the cost of developing ports likely wouldn't outweigh the returns at this point. But I will guarantee right now that if the Switch takes off like the Wii did you will see a lot of ports, as it is much more comparable to PS4/XB1 than the Wii was to PS3/360.

Yeah I think people will be surprised at the amount of ports Switch ultimately ends up getting. The initial flood will be from indie games running on Unity and UE4 but I have no doubt some devs are going to test the water with AAA ports... unless the Switch totally tanks after launch.

Sayad

The gap between Wii and PS3/360 is far, far bigger than the gap between Switch and PS4/XB1.
The point is that there's still a big enough gab that down porting will be a lot of work and result in worse versions of the product which doesn't really encourage sales.

Porting to the Wii was still possible(see some of the CoD games it got), but even having around 100m Wii console out there wasn't enough incentive for most companies to consider it.

Interfectum

The point is that there's still a big enough gab that down porting will be a lot of work and result in worse versions of the product which doesn't really encourage sales.

Porting to the Wii was still possible(see some of the CoD games it got), but even having around 100m Wii console out there wasn't enough incentive for most companies to consider it.

The system power of the Wii wasn't the main stopping point in a lot of cases, devs had to account for the Wiimote as well. Also take into account the audience that bought the Wii most likely wanted more motion/Wiimote usage over a typical AAA console experience.

The Switch doesn't have those some issues as it's launching with a very standard controller setup.

Rodin

There's a difference here: the games are also available for you on the go. That can be a selling point, unlike Wii or Wii U, where the game just looked and played worse, and the Wiimote or extra functions of the gamepad rarely were an actual selling points for multiplatform titles.

Then of course most of the games that will be ported will still sell more on PS4 and Xbox One, but if the Switch builds a big userbase porting can make more sense for many companies, and downscaling games to get them to run on the console isn't remotely as complicated as it was from 360 to Wii. Hell, it's much easier than PS4/One-->PS360 too, and we've seen many cross gen games between these consoles.

Mario007

There's a difference here: the games are also available for you on the go. That can be a selling point, unlike Wii or Wii U, where the game just looked and played worse, and the Wiimote or extra functions of the gamepad rarely were an actual selling points for multiplatform titles.

Then of course most of the games that will be ported will still sell more on PS4 and Xbox One, but if the Switch builds a big userbase porting can make more sense for many companies, and downscaling games to get them to run on the console isn't remotely as complicated as it was from 360 to Wii. Hell, it's much easier than PS4/One-->PS360 too, and we've seen many cross gen games between these consoles.
Cross gen games were largely PS360->next gen not next gen->Ps360.

Rodin

Cross gen games were largely PS360->next gen not next gen->Ps360.

The game that runs and looks best on last gen hardware is a Xbox One-->360 game (Rise of the Tomb Raider). Anyway i doubt that MGS V, Dragon Age, Mordor and Far Cry 4 were last gen-->PS4/X1 titles. They were clearly made with current gen in mind.

Still, i don't see the problem. A console isn't either on par with current gen hardware or with last gen hardware. Switch is in the middle between the two, maybe closer to last gen in terms of raw power, but it's still much more powerful even in the worst case scenario (DF clocks), has 8x more RAM and it's basically a decade more modern in terms of GPU architecture and API.

You're comparing apples to oranges here. Wii was around 20 times weaker than PS360 overall and it didn't support GPU shaders. Switch is rumoured to be as much as 40% as powerful as Xbox One. So Switch is 60% weaker vs Wii which was 2000% weaker vs it's competition while Switch also supports the latest engines, middleware and tools using a modern GPU architecture and a rumoured 3.2gigs of RAM for games (that RAM amount is very important). Completely different in every regard.

Let's look at part of Tabatas quote -

"It might run... But we haven't conducted the proper tests on whether it would run properly on Switch or not, so I cannot say for sure."

He first says it won't run and then backtracks when probed further. If the game is 900p on Xbox One then there's a lot of wiggle room to get it running on Switch if the publishers think they can make money on the system. They could run the game at 540p in handheld mode and 720p when docked (over 50% less pixels to render instantly vs the Xbox One version). Their engine is also incredibly scalable with everything from lighting and shadows to character models and textures all able to be tweaked across the board. There's no doubt they could get it running on Switch imo but obviously it would't compare well to it on Xbox One or PS4.

The problem is there is currently no market for third parties on Switch until they see how it sells in it's first few months. Without a market a lot of third parties won't even be considering it especially after the Wii U mess.

JordanN

Banned
I think Nintendo owners need to accept 3rd party games just aren't happening.

The Switch launched right in the middle of the PS4/XBO gen. By the time Switch catches up, don't you think we'll start hearing about the PS5/new Xbox?

Developers will have to choose to develop for either this gen, next gen or Switch. That's too many consoles to deal with, they're not going to start thinking about the weakest one, when they're already moving on to something more powerful.

I'm shocked. Shocked, I tell you.

The game is already struggling on the Xbox One and you want to downport to an even weaker console?

LordKasual

Banned
They just need to tone down the lighting. I have used Engines like Unity and turning on/off GI and shadows is as simple as using a slider and checking a box. Unless there is something else that's taxing the system, there is no real justification why the Switch can't run a game like FFXV.

Nah, bruh.

Modern game engines like those in FFXV or MGSV base their visuals around physically based rendering...which is pretty much driven by lighting, shadows, shaders and atmospheric bells and whistles.

turning it off pretty much kills the entire engine.

Waji

Maybe KH3. But KH1.5+2.5 is doubtful, my job(a retailer) got like the pictures for KH1.5+2.5s cover(the PAL one) earlier this week for the online website and it got the "Only on Playstation" logo on it, if that means anything these days.

Edit:
yNtUBWP.png
Never saw the 1.5, 2.5 titles. Roman numerals mixed with Arabic numerals make it look pretty silly.
Well, it's KH so I guess it works.
They should had & Knuckles for it to be ok.

Nah, bruh.

Modern game engines like those in FFXV or MGSV base their visuals around physically based rendering...which is pretty much driven by lighting, shadows, shaders and atmospheric bells and whistles.

turning it off pretty much kills the entire engine.

MGS5 used PBR on last gen system and that was also a open world game with less ram and GPU weaker than the Wii U's

m4st4

How about there's a thread when developers actually want to have something on Switch? Thankyouverymuch,

nOoblet16

Let's forget that FFXV also happens to have one of the most complex animation system out there, let's also forget that it has a real time day night cycle so shadows are important and while we are at it we should also not consider the polygon complexity and open world (yes Zelda is an open world game but it's an open world game built with Switch's limitation in mind, in order to get that for FFXV the world would need to have been built ground up for Switch with its limitation in mind.)

MGS5 used PBR on last gen system and that was also a open world game with less ram and GPU weaker than the Wii U's

MGS5 was a 60FPS tittle that ran at subHD and unstable 30FPS on PS360, the open world was also barebones in terms of detail. FFXV is a 30FPS tittle with lots of detail in environment and by that very nature is considerably more demanding to begin with. PBR isn't really a tech but a rendering philosophy and as such it inherently doesn't necessarily require extra power, Treyarch started experimenting with it way back with Black Ops 1 on PS360.

LordKasual

Banned
Let's forget that FFXV also happens to have one of the most complex animation system out there, let's also forget that it has a real time day night cycle so shadows are important and while we are at it we should also not consider the polygon complexity and open world (yes Zelda is an open world game but it's an open world game built with Switch's limitation in mind, in order to get that for FFXV the world would need to have been built ground up for Switch with its limitation in mind.)

MGS5 was a 60FPS tittle that ran at subHD and unstable 30FPS on PS360, the open world was also barebones in terms of detail. FFXV is a 30FPS tittle with lots of detail in environment and by that very nature is considerably more demanding to begin with. PBR isn't really a tech but a rendering philosophy and as such it inherently doesn't necessarily require extra power, Treyarch started experimenting with it way back with Black Ops 1 on PS360.

Yeah pure visuals aside, a game like FFXV is very dense in its application of tech, from GPU to CPU to memory. Even assuming they could get the game to actually run without cutting anything, there's the very serious issue of performance.

When you factor that in, it becomes comical to imagine what a Switch version of XV would even look like. It'd probably look worse than the Gamescom build of the game and run worse too.

Especially with games that focus on PBR. When you start downgrading or removing features, the game very quickly starts looking worse. Especially when it comes to post processing, which seems to be a big factor (cant really make convincing materials without it) and a notoriously big consumer of resources.

Top Bottom