• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tabata comments on Final Fantasy XV for Nintendo Switch, currently no plan

Ray Down

Banned
I don't think I am Setsuna or WoFF have sold particularly well outside of Japan(or inside of Japan).

Square Enix definitely makes some questionable decisions though. The new Itadaki Street is Vita/PS4 for instance and power can't be the reason there.

All the FF/DQ ones have been PS exclusive, except I think for one mobile title.

jdstorm

Banned
It suffers from frame stuttering on PS4.

I can't imagine all the logistic they'd have to go through to have it running at acceptable performances on the Switch.

The FFXII remaster is something possible though, and would be VERY enjoyable on the go.

540P docked and 360p portable seem the most likely answer assuming that the CPU is on par with the Xbox One/PS4

zelas

I feel like we all know this is going to be a thing for almost every AAA game moving forward. these threads are almost like hater victory laps...which I can appreciate even as a day one Switch buyer. Bigger news will be when a current/future AAA game DOES get ported.
Why can't these threads be a signal for Nintendo to get their shit together?

There are more people in the world than Nintendo only and Nintendo never fans. Some of us would love to have a console that has nintendo and third party titles. Some of us don't like the trade off between a library that has almost all of the biggest games and gimmicks that only truly serve a few titles before being abandoned altogether.

Why is everyone who wants more big games than just a Zelda title available on other platforms automatically labelled a hater?

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Absolutely zero surprise.

Give us Crystal Chronicles, Square! I really don't understand why they killed it in the first place. Super fun online coop action RPG.

*high five*

I think they killed it because their development teams kind of killed it when moving the series to DS. That said, I think Echoes of Time was a step in the right direction after Ring of Fates, and a move to more powerful hardware (with better 3D controls) would have helped a lot.

It should have been on Wii U (or 3DS, I guess). At this point, I'll take a remake of the original on Switch. The best games on Switch are going to be the ones built with it as the lead platform, so I'd welcome more exclusive games from Square-Enix.

Trago

Having played the game on PS4, it would be a miracle to pull off a decent port on Switch. Decent frame rate and frame pacing should be the number one priority imo. Fuck the visuals.

Teletraan1

Banned
I don't remember a bunch of no plans, great efforts and unprecedented partnerships prior to the PS4 and XB1 coming out. They just got the games. Same song and dance with Nintendo and third party. "[Politely]It is nice hardware, but no." Oh well, outliers be outlying.

I think its on Nintendo to pay these devs to downgrade their games to that extent to get them to run properly as opposed to being able to just develop them and port relatively similar like every other machine.

This is why i am not expecting third party ports on Switch and i generally have been fine with that for Nintendo consoles for a long time. Nintendo have always looked out for their own philosophy above everyone else. Its dual edged sword

They just need to tone down the lighting. I have used Engines like Unity and turning on/off GI and shadows is as simple as using a slider and checking a box. Unless there is something else that's taxing the system, there is no real justification why the Switch can't run a game like FFXV.

We are about to get rid about "PS3 limitations", we don't need "Switch limitations" now, thank you.

The Switch alone has at least 8 times more Ram than the Ps3. Now you are just making up excuses.

mortal

Gold Member
It would pretty much have to be a lesser version for it run properly on the Switch. Which would be resources allocated towards a gimped port.

If people really wanted to play the game that badly, they would have bought it for either PS4 or XB1 by now.

Dekuboy

Neo Member
I love it how everyone is now saying the reason for this is the lacking power of the switch.

Meanwhile the main reason is, that the engine is utter bullshit and no one wants to downgrade and adjust it again.

soWvgor.gif

LOL!

seriously, like who is shocked by this?

Reading this thread, there's apparently still people in denial that aside from demographics, Switch isn't powerful enough to justify the sheer effort it'd take to port a game like FFXV to the system.

They just need to tone down the lighting. I have used Engines like Unity and turning on/off GI and shadows is as simple as using a slider and checking a box. Unless there is something else that's taxing the system, there is no real justification why the Switch can't run a game like FFXV.

The Switch alone has at least 8 times more Ram than the Ps3. Now you are just making up excuses.
If it's that easy you should call them and do it for them in a weekend or something.

540P docked and 360p portable seem the most likely answer assuming that the CPU is on par with the Xbox One/PS4

So it would end up looking like Xenoblade Chronicles on the 3DS?

...I could deal with that actually. I have a strange fascination with mobile ports of games that probably should never have gotten mobile ports, like the DS version of Splinter Cell Chaos Theory (which played surprisingly faithfully, but ran like garbage).

Galang

Banned
Nobody is shocked by this, but it's not like Square hasn't been generous to Nintendo over the past decade. I bet if FFXV could "easily" run on Switch they would have considered it.

kswiston

Digital software is mostly smartphone, and in Japan right? If they damage their brands in Japan their smartphone gacha games will suffer.

But yes you are correct, if you look globally FF is the bigger franchise.

For Square Enix annual reports, digital software is any entertainment software that isn't an arcade machine (or I suppose pachislot machine if they dabble in that). Packaged software is lumped under digital software. It also includes all of their Eidos stuff, so it isn't just Japanese software.

Nobody is shocked by this, but it's not like Square hasn't been generous to Nintendo over the past decade. I bet if FFXV could "easily" run on Switch they would have considered it.

They were surprisingly aloof with the 3DS when it comes to Final Fantasy games. Did it receive anything from the franchise outside of Theatrhythm and Final Fantasy Explorers?

They give Nintendo a lot of Dragon Quest though, and I suppose Bravely Default is sort of Final Fantasy.

G: It wouldn’t run at all?

HT: It might run… But we haven’t conducted the proper tests on whether it would run properly on Switch or not, so I cannot say for sure.

They don't even know if it'll run...

That's just them saying "no" politely

It not going to run unless they make some compromises, it has promblems running on PS4/XB1, no way it's coming to Switch.

Astral Dog

Reading this thread, there's apparently still people in denial that aside from demographics, Switch isn't powerful enough to justify the sheer effort it'd take to port a game like FFXV to the system.
True,its not hate or bad business sense its the reality guys
The sooner we accept this the faster we move on.
There is going to be beautiful portable games on Switch

Kyzer

Banned
When asked about square enix support such as FFXV on switch..."Incidentally, I think that Switch would be really cool if it could run Android apps on its portable screen…"

LMAO

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
^yea it's cool and funny at the same time. I also agree. Would be nice not for apps so much but for games.
Well it was a significant engineering task to get the game running on the PS4 and Xbox One.
With a 30fps target. And running at 1600x900 on the Xbox one.

It's one of the best looking games on console.

Look at the dragon quest heroes 2 screenshots on PS4 vs Switch here:
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...i_on_switch_shapes_up_against_the_ps4_version

The game on PS4 doesn't look that complex at all and still the switch has a significant downgrade.

The consoles have 8 core processors with mid range desktop level GPUs.

It's a matter of power consumption, battery life and heat dissipation so the Switch can't compete.

Raw performance wise it'll compete with the Wii U / Xbox 360 / PS3 but with the benefit of today's architecture.

Nothing has been said or shown to say otherwise so I'm comfortable making that assertion.

I'm capable of reading English. Tabata is being diplomatic.

Also I've got a degree in Electronics Engineering and work in the tech industry. I may not be an expert but I have a base level understand to understand what I'm talking about.

I think we need more comparisons like this to help keep ppl expectations in check.

http://www.dualshockers.com/2017/02...uture-dlc-first-look-character-creation-more/

Giuseppe Nelva: It wouldn't run at all?
Hajime Tabata: It might run... But we haven't conducted the proper tests on whether it would run properly on Switch or not, so I cannot say for sure.

Giuseppe Nelva: So there is no plan at all?
Hajime Tabata: There are no plans for Switch at the moment, but overall, there is interest in the platform among the development team. We do have lots of Nintendo fans inside BD2.

The statements above from Tabata can certainly be interpreted as an attempt to be polite to Nintendo.

Note, however, that the above statements came in response to a follow-up question by the journalist, Giuseppe Nelva. The initial question/response was the following:
Giuseppe Nelva: Is there any possibility for Final Fantasy XV to be released on Nintendo Switch?
Hajime Tabata: There are no Plans, it wouldn't run...

It's to the journalist's credit that he himself saw the problem with this initial response from Tabata, and decided to pose the follow-up question, giving Tabata the nudge/opportunity to re-calibrate his answer a bit. However, I'm not sure anyone here would argue that the initial response from Tabata ("There are no Plans, it wouldn't run...") was in itself in any way an attempt to be polite to Nintendo.

Indeed, given Tabata's subsequent admission that proper tests have not actually been done, one could reasonably argue that there was some amount of presumptuousness in the initial response from Tabata, especially since the simple truth ("It might run... But we haven't conducted the proper tests on whether it would run properly on Switch or not, so I cannot say for sure... There are no plans for Switch at the moment...") was available to him from the start.

Ordinarily, I wouldn't bother commenting on this, but given the frequency with which I see tenuous claims about Nintendo & Miyamoto's supposed arrogance, I thought it might be instructive to highlight what presumptuousness actually looks like.

Still in denial? You have Skyrim(Special Edition?) and that's a huge feat in Nintendo's eyes. And some people expected games like FFXV or something.

EDarkness

Not surprised. They'd have to port that engine over and the real question is whether or not they wanted to do that. I was hoping they would since I was holding out purchasing FFXV in case an NS version was coming at some point. Now I guess I can put that to rest and just get the PS4 version at some point. Not gonna lie, I really wanted a NS version.

royox

So what? It's still inferior to PS4. You have to understand the PC players point of view, the most powerfull the limitator console is the better will be the PC version. PS4 as a new hardware limitation for FFXIV is much better than the switch.

can't we have a consolidated thread to list all the 3rd party games NOT coming to the switch instead of creating a new one? It's just a waste of thread space seeing that we are going to pretty much see another 100 of such 'announcements' in the coming months.

Branduil

For Square Enix annual reports, digital software is any entertainment software that isn't an arcade machine (or I suppose pachislot machine if they dabble in that). Packaged software is lumped under digital software. It also includes all of their Eidos stuff, so it isn't just Japanese software.

They were surprisingly aloof with the 3DS when it comes to Final Fantasy games. Did it receive anything from the franchise outside of Theatrhythm and Final Fantasy Explorers?

They give Nintendo a lot of Dragon Quest though, and I suppose Bravely Default is sort of Final Fantasy.
Bravely Default is the best final fantasy game in years, for what it's worth.

Orgen

That's why there isn't a PC port too... wait...

Reading this thread I predict a lot of people to be surprised in the near future.

Mawile

Banned
Good luck with this. They're cutting support for the PS3 version, meaning PS4 is going to be the new baseline starting with 4.0. I'm not saying it's impossible that it'll get released on it, but I really don't see them getting rid of the PS3 (and to raise the minimum system requirements) only to get stuck with Switch limitations instead.

Being able to play FF14 on the go with this would be super cool but I don't see it happening at all.

At the same time, PS3 has like 256Mb of RAM vs Switch's 4GB? How much would a limitation be in this regard? (This is coming from someone who is overjoyed about PS3's demise and also played FFXI).

oti

Banned
It suffers from frame stuttering on PS4.

I can't imagine all the logistic they'd have to go through to have it running at acceptable performances on the Switch.

The FFXII remaster is something possible though, and would be VERY enjoyable on the go.

What if XV Switch had like, no bros.

Remember when every rumormonger kept saying FFXV is getting ported to NX and I kept laughing at it and some of you got very, very mad about that?

Remember when every rumormonger kept saying FFXV is getting ported to NX and I kept laughing at it and some of you got very, very mad about that?

I'm not sure why so many think they companies are going to make last gen versions of games especially for Nintendo. When they designed the Switch they knew 3rd party AAA support was mostly a non-starter. They aren't stupid.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Dq heroes should not be used as the baseline for any port imo.

Indeed. DQ Heroes looks absolutely terrible from a visual perspective, and we have many other games on the system that look much better. Anyone using it as an indication of what Switch can do with multiplatform releases is misleading themself.

That said, expecting FFXV on the system without major compromises (720p and reduced graphical settings) would be equally misguided.

Top Bottom