• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tabata shows FFXV PC ‘tech tests’ using Nvidia’s Gameworks on GDC [Up: Screenshots]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dremorak

Banned
Guys, you know games are made on pcs right? Even working on mobile games you do most of your testing on a pc. Just because they are showing some tools doesn't mean anything.

Guys, you know games are made on pcs right? Even working on mobile games you do most of your testing on a pc. Just because they are showing some tools doesn't mean anything.

Yes, truly FFXV will never show up on pc. Only console players buy final fantasy games and steam sales certainly back this fact up.

Sciortino

Sure, but Tabatas talked about FFXV on PC more than once, so its just a matter of time before they announce it...

Grassy

C53cMpIWAAASe5h.jpg

Looks very grassy, will double-dip.

I can't believe I'm agreeing with icecold but I think he's right in this case. They might include things like HairWorks fur but I wouldn't expect huge additions.

Just being able to play at higher resolutions/60fps+ with good AF & framepacing would make a world of difference to this game as it is.

The PS5/X2 version of FFXV is gonna melt some fucking faces.

Nah, if there is such a version, it'll be the PC version quickly ported. In fact, that's another reason to do the PC port. Make a game targeting high end PCs. Have a launch ready remastered FFXV for consoles.

LordKasual

Banned
Huh. Interesting.

Does anyone remember the early stages of Luminous Engine's development?

Square recruited Yoshihisa Hashimoto* from Sonic Team (lead developer of the Hedgehog Engine for Sonic Unleashed) to lead development on Luminous. A few years later, we got Agni's Philosophy, and Hashimoto was the one showcasing the tech.

He then later left Square, which is around the time people began to get real sure that Versus XIII was cancelled, because the new engine seemingly lost its lead developer.

Improved GI, fluids, destructible environments, it's obviously research for the PC version. lol

acykev.jpg

wligsk.jpg

XV's GI application

Sonic Unleashed's GI application

I'm not too privy on how most engines apply this technique, so this may be standard. But it's interesting to see two different engines lead by the same guy showcase the exact same technique.

Edit: Yoshihisa Hashimoto was his name, had the wrong guy sorry

dr_rus

Nvidia Gameworks is VERY BAD for us AMD users ��

Most (all?) Gameworks games of 2016 are working on AMD h/w just fine. There's however a new issue to consider - with Gameworks being somewhat ported to DX11 and DX12 from NVAPI+CUDA more Gameworks effects should be able to run on AMD h/w - and we don't know yet how they will do it.

It's also a bit funny how the prevailing (and heavily backed by AMD) stance on Gameworks earlier was "bu bu bu it's black box they are gimping gimping I tell you" and that turned to a completely deafening silence when NV opened the source for half of GW libraries.

Irobot82

Most (all?) Gameworks games of 2016 are working on AMD h/w just fine. There's however a new issue to consider - with Gameworks being somewhat ported to DX11 and DX12 from NVAPI+CUDA more Gameworks effects should be able to run on AMD h/w - and we don't know yet how they will do it.

It's also a bit funny how the prevailing (and heavily backed by AMD) stance on Gameworks earlier was "bu bu bu it's black box they are gimping gimping I tell you" and that turned to a completely deafening silence when NV opened the source for half of GW libraries.

I was reading somewhere they may have ported it to direct compute. I'll try to find the source later.

If they include such grass as a graphical setting in the (now personally presupposed) PC release, I will probably not be able to run it, but It will appeal to me a la Crysis.

So glad I sold my PS4 version.

Depending on the state of the game when this eventually releases, I might actually decide to play through it.

Vetro

No graphical improvements can save the game from that what they made out of it after Chapter 9.

No, not even on PC.

Either way I'm going to wait until the game is 'finished' a year or two down the line.

If the PC version is out by then I'll get it instead.

dr_rus

I was reading somewhere they may have ported it to direct compute. I'll try to find the source later.

Yes, that's what I've said - they are porting them (not all libraries but most of them) to DX11/DX12 which is essentially DirectCompute.

CHC

Always been kind of obvious it was coming to PC.

I'm just waiting until they make up their minds about what the fuck they are doing with all these post-release plot changes, and I'll pick it up when the dust settles.

Vlaphor

I'll be totally honest. I beat FFXV on PS4 because I couldn't wait, but I may double-dip for the PC version...however, I will cheat to bring up a bunch of my stats.

Ferr986

Huh. Interesting.

Does anyone remember the early stages of Luminous Engine's development?

Square recruited Yoshihisa Hashimoto* from Sonic Team (lead developer of the Hedgehog Engine for Sonic Unleashed) to lead development on Luminous. A few years later, we got Agni's Philosophy, and Hashimoto was the one showcasing the tech.

He then later left Square, which is around the time people began to get real sure that Versus XIII was cancelled, because the new engine seemingly lost its lead developer.

XV's GI application

Sonic Unleashed's GI application

I'm not too privy on how most engines apply this technique, so this may be standard. But it's interesting to see two different engines lead by the same guy showcase the exact same technique.

Edit: Yoshihisa Hashimoto was his name, had the wrong guy sorry

Yep, Hedhehog Engine looked very good, but it was also pretty taxing on consoles (enough to make Sonic games run at 30 fps instead of the usual 60 fps).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom